Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ed Koch Dead at 88

As of 6:00AM hospital has not confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 14202/08/2013

Are they going to bury him in his glass closet?

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

Confirmed at 6:15 ...

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

There were rumors that he was going to out Bloomberg today.

Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Will ex-lovers be pall bearers?

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

an early memorial @ 1:22

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Funeral Monday at Temple Emanu-El at Fifth Avenue and 65th Street whose Rabbi Arthur Schneier had known Ed for forty years, saying "he wasn't religiously observant, but Ed was a man of faith."

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

One closet case down. When is Lindsey Graham up?

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

How's he doing?

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

They say you should say nothing but good of the dead.

Ed Koch is dead. Good.

Fucking murderer did nothing when GRID and AIDS were burning through the City. May the devil fuck him with a redhot poker.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

Any clips from "Outrage" where his former boyfriend says Koch threatened him with bodily harm if he didn't leave town and shut up about their relationship?

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

Wait, didn't he come out several years ago?

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

r10, that's what made him one of the good guys. This is almost as tragic as Roy Cohn died.

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

Any Elder Elder Gays know who his boyfriends were?

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

He hasn't had a bf since 1967,

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

When Ed and Mario Cuomo were running in the 1977 mayoral primary, Cuomo's supporters printed fliers with the slogan "Vote for Cuomo, Not the Homo".

From then on Bess Myerson, the first Jewish Miss America, was at Ed's side in public. Rumors of their possible marriage were circulated.

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

How many 88 year old politicians do you know who are out and proud?

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

He is amurderer of thousands of people who died of AIDS. Let us not forget that. Like Ronald Reagan, he did nothing while we died,

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

I actually liked him when he was on The People's Court.

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

R20, you're a Quisling at best. At worst, you're as big a pile of shit as Koch. I have moved on, but I don't forget cowards.

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

I condole him.

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

r20, you're a tool and a clueless douchebag. The gay community politicized a disease that was decimating them? Maybe that's because the disease was politicized first by this asshole and others through their indefensible silence and lack of initiative as public officials. Just a hunch.

It's historical record that Reagan and Koch shoved their heads in the sand when the epidemic started. That's why there was this little group called Act-Up. Maybe you've heard of it? (or not, given that you are Republican know-nothing).

And It's a fact that big ol faggot Koch ignored the fuck out of this disease because he didn't want to deal with dying pissed off queers (rightly pissed off) who might call him out for the closet case that he was.

Koch also licked all manner of Republican ass the last few years of his life (clearly your past time).

He was a nasty piece of work. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

"a new disease nobody new fuck about and which was being politicized by the gay community"

People were fucking dying right and left, the government wasn't doing shit, and the GAY COMMUNITY gets the blame for "politicizing" the disease? Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 2602/01/2013

R16, I remember Bette Midler herself endorsing Koch in 1977 exclaiming that he had a beautiful girlfriend - Bess Myerson. There no marriage talk that I remember, she was only the "girlfriend."

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

Someone needs to define 'revisionist' for r20. The outrage was simultaneous with the times. If there's any revisionism it's that Reagan and Koch weren't guilty of the sin of omission even as children with HIV were being violently ostrasized by their communities.

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

[quote]Sad news, he was one of the good guys

Saying that he put Israel before America? Fuck off. Glad the ugly fucker is dead.

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

Ed Koch just a few weeks ago:

“I’m sure that the Arabs are drinking orange juice and toasting Hagel’s good health,” Koch said.

The Mayor says he has no regrets, “it’s wouldn’t make any difference. The Jews were going to vote for him no matter what. And that’s the nature of the Jews. They are always very solicitous of everybody else except their own needs and community.”

by Anonymousreply 3002/01/2013

The Mayor says he has no regrets, “it wouldn’t make any difference. The Jews were going to vote for him [Obama] no matter what. And that’s the nature of the Jews. They are always very solicitous of everybody else except their own needs and community.”

-Ed Koch

by Anonymousreply 3102/01/2013

Sorry, R32, was me, R20.

by Anonymousreply 3402/01/2013

[quote] Sad news, he was one of the good guys

In what universe?

by Anonymousreply 3502/01/2013

Will his tomb stone say

"Don't Even THINK Of Parking Here"

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

From his obit:

[quote] While his brother, Harold, was athletic, Edward pursued stamp collecting and photography.

GAY!

Gaye Gayerson!

by Anonymousreply 3702/01/2013

He cruised me once in the late 80s at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center. It was during an intermission of MESSIAH and he (and his security contingent) and I were racing for a pay phone outside a men's room. I got there first, turned around and he gave me the most intense cruise.

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

"But your history and that which you would have people believe is that he was wringing his hands with delight in the Oval Office at watching all the queers die."

Stop putting words in my mouth. When did I say any of that?

If you're going to rebut my POV go right ahead. But apply some reading comprehension, OK?

I stand by everything I wrote. I was there. Koch was terrified of being associated with anything gay and Reagan refused to acknowledge the AIDS epidemic for an indefensibly long time. Again - that's record.

Defend them all you want - but you still come off like a pathetic quisling.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

R32, that is exactly right and so articulate. People who put Reagan and Koch on the spit as "evil" and with the blood of AIDS victims on their hands are just tiresome and an eye roll. NO ONE responded quickly enough to AIDS because no one understood it. Could Reagan have acted more swifty and more responsibly? Yes. Did he eventually address the epidemic? Yes. Did he let "all the queers die because they deserved to and no one cares about fags, anyway?" Well, this is what victim mentality gays will tell you.

And what, pray tell, is a "quisling?" Is that some sort of bird?

by Anonymousreply 4002/01/2013

[quote]I stand by everything I wrote. I was there. Koch was terrified of being associated with anything gay and Reagan refused to acknowledge the AIDS epidemic for an indefensibly long time. Again - that's record.

I agree, Koch, like Reagan were terribly fearful of any gay association. They did the wrong thing for the wrong reason and allowed many folks of many persuasions to get infected via ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

Pro or con, Ed was one of a kind. A real NY character. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

[quote]I was there.

I was there as well, R39. R32 and R40 are closer to the truth than you. NO ONE knew what was going on. NO ONE. It was a confusing, terrifying time.

What were Reagan and Koch supposed to do? Tell people to stay out of the bath houses? HA! We tried that both in SF and NYC and all we got was scorn because the guys thought we were trying to roll back what we then called "gay liberation".

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

I agree, Ed Koch was a NYC one of a kind, but not the good kind.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

Koch was a hypocrite. He was a closet queen who loved men and had no interest in women.He did something mean...he closed down The Mineshaft and other fabulous places like the bathhouses. It was OK for him to suck cock and get penetrated but not alright for us? What a phony.

Peter Hammill claimed that one of the NY tabloids had someone tailing Koch at all times to see if he was going to gay bars and gloryholes etc so on. He claims that they ironically found nothing.They caught Koch at the wrong time because he picked up a trick when he was congressman and had to call the police to get rid of him. They of course expunged this from the police record to protect the queeny,old thing.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

[quote] Did he let "all the queers die because they deserved to and no one cares about fags, anyway?" Well, this is what victim mentality gays will tell you

What a broken, ugly person you are.

You have no accurate idea of what happened in those years. Your vantage point of peering through the tiniest crack in your closet door isn't a really authentic point of view.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

Why was it "mean" to close down The Mineshaft and the bathhouses? Wasn't The Mineshaft a filthy shithole? Weren't the bathhouses places where HIV was transmitted daily? I mean, these skeezy joints were not The Stork Club or El Morocco. First, you blame him for not doing anything about the AIDS epidemic. Then you blame him for closing places where the disease ran rampant. Talking out of both sides of your ass?

by Anonymousreply 4702/01/2013

Let's try to have a rational drama-free discussion of the facts.

It was a very complicated issue in terms of closing down the baths. (And they have never been shut down, so Koch was not the only one to not go there). Giuliani's war on sex met with great resistance later on.

But that's beside the point.

Koch didn't address the needs of the communities ravaged by AIDS, for a year and a half even refusing to meet with any one to discuss it.

And that was very wrong. And people died who may have lived.

The city should have moved far more quickly to educate people about what was going on and provided services for the communities that were stricken including the gay community, the black community, and the IV drug user community,

At the opposite end of the spectrum was Kramer who, God love him, loved to scream. If he hadn't, nothing would have happened. But it's also true that he wasn't skilled at politics or at working with people he felt - justifiably - angry with. We need people like Kramer, of course. If it hadn't been for him, nothing would have happened. But thank goodness there were also activists who were better equipped to work with the establishment - once the establishment started to respond..

Koch showed cowardice at a time when the city needed to be at the forefront of providing information and services. And it is a great tragic lesson that his closetedness was a probable major factor.

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

Funny Ed Koch story:

When the subject of female "circumcision" in Africa was a hot topic in the early 1990s, Ed Koch didn't get it. On his WABC radio show, he stated that the US should not interfere with the customs of other countries. He compared female circumcision to Jewish male circumcision. He said he had heard that uncircumcised females enjoy sexual intercourse more than the circumcised. (LOL).

Many men of Koch's age do not know anything about the clitoris, but Koch's homosexuality doubled his ignorance.

A week later, Koch changed his tune on the subject. He shrieked IT'S AN OUTRAGE! and all of those Kochisms.

Someone had clued him in on what female circumcision really was.

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

"What were Reagan and Koch supposed to do?"

The exact opposite of what they did: which was do nothing for an inexcusable amount of time. That point is so lost on you, you must be a simpleton. But please. Continue to bring up your stupid, over-the-top hypotheticals to illustrate how helpless and innocent they were at mobilizing awareness.

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

r46, I can assure you my point of view is "authentic." Do you think I borrowed it from someone ELSE? What does that even mean?

And I have not been anywhere near a closet in many years. And I was around during the AIDS crisis years. And I had friends die. And I am no fan of Ronald Reagan. But I stand by my point that, although Mayor Ed Koch and President Reagan could have done a much better job handling the crisis, that neither man was the "gay Anti-Christ." It was a medical problem, an illness, a disease. And the entire country was not dying. As HORRIBLE as it was, the % of those who were "dropping like flies," who were affected and/or INfected, was a tiny number in terms of total population. This doesn't excuse the lack of attention but it does provide some perspective, along with the fact that no one knew what the fuck was going on with it, HOW to deal with it or what to do. (as other posters have stated). Koch and Reagan (and MANY other politicians) would not touch the AIDS issue for far too long. But not JUST because of homophobia. Do you really think that if this had been a white, heterosexual male disease that the government intervention would have been appreciably different, at least at first?

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

He did a fabulous cameo in Sex and the City!

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

What OTHER illnesses or epidemics have politicians brought "awareness" to, other than perhaps breast cancer?

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

R47 I didn't complain about him not doing anything! He didn't close the hetty places at first and that's why he came across as being a self hating queen. It was almost as if he was punishing gays for going out and having sex whereas their hetty counterparts were still able to indulge themselves.

BTW you sound like a right wing asshole. I hope you enjoy your life in the log cabin,you freeper queen!

by Anonymousreply 5402/01/2013

I did the best I could.

by Anonymousreply 5502/01/2013

"that neither man was the "gay Anti-Christ."

again, where are you getting this? no one used those words.

you can't even address what everyone else here is actually saying, can you?

"Do you really think that if this had been a white, heterosexual male disease that the government intervention would have been appreciably different, at least at first?"

Really? Are you that daft?

*smacks palm on forehead"

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

The Reagan/Koch apologist needs to give his meds back.

If you honestly, authentically believe that men of this character and agenda would do anything to save your life, you are a fool.

Lots of us were there, some of us survived. Stop trying to give these men and their ilk a walk.

by Anonymousreply 5902/01/2013

Vile homophobe who took wayyyyy too long to die.

by Anonymousreply 6002/01/2013

Larry Kramer outlived him.

by Anonymousreply 6102/01/2013

I knew this thread was going to be full of nasty posts gleeful over someone's death. Koch did a lot of good for NYC in general. He did not respond fast enough to the HIV edidemic, he made some big mistakes with the black community, and he did not police his administration very well. But he did put NYC back on its feet. I was also not thrilled with his later life neocon postitions. And he most certainly was a closeted gay man as were virtually all successful gay men of his generation. If you want to know something of how hard it was to even hold a job prior to 1990 in the US if you were out, read Stonewall the Other Side of Silence before you throw stones.

DL really is full of truly angry nasty gay men. What is that all about?

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2013

...and Larry Kramer has been threatening to drop dead for decades.

by Anonymousreply 6302/01/2013

" I'M JAN BREWER'S GUNT MASSUES! "

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2013

r62 Look in a mirror and ask yourself.

"He did some great things for this city, despite being a racist, classist, homophobic hypocrite."

by Anonymousreply 6502/01/2013

So young.

Gone to soon.

He truly was the People's Princess.

by Anonymousreply 6602/01/2013

[quote]But I stand by my point that, although Mayor Ed Koch and President Reagan could have done a much better job handling the crisis, that neither man was the "gay Anti-Christ."

DO you realize that you basically agree with all the people you think you're arguing with? All anyone here is saying is that Koch and Reagan did a poor job of handling the crisis. Some people are just more pissed off about that than others. NOBODY is claiming that Koch and Reagan were gay anti-christs, were happy to see gay men die, felt that gay men deserved AIDS, or any of the other shit you are making up here.

[quote]Do you really think that if this had been a white, heterosexual male disease that the government intervention would have been appreciably different, at least at first?

God, yes. You're naive and delusional if you think otherwise. I don't believe that either Koch or Reagan *wanted* gay men to die--in fact, I'm sure both would have been thrilled if AIDS had just gone away—but that doesn't mean they were comfortable having to deal with the gay community, and it certainly doesn't mean that they responded to the AIDS crisis with the same speed and alacrity that they would have responded to a disease affecting a mainstream, majority demographic.

by Anonymousreply 6702/01/2013

He gleefully presided over the fall of NYC. Thousands of homicides every year, muggings were an every day expectation when you walked out onto the street, homelessness was made worse by Koch's insistence that there was nothing the city could do about it if crazy people wanted to live on the street in shit on the sidewalk. He was the worst mayor NYC ever had. The worst.

by Anonymousreply 6802/01/2013

I heart r66.

by Anonymousreply 6902/01/2013

He was also one of the most prolific Mayors in office. RIP...

by Anonymousreply 7002/01/2013

He became a Republican towards the end. He did a radio spot every week with former Sen. Al D'Amato where they both trashed Obama and the Democrats relentlessly.

by Anonymousreply 7202/01/2013

[quote]And what, pray tell, is a "quisling?" Is that some sort of bird?

I know it's intimidating, but technology is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 7302/01/2013

[quote] But he did put NYC back on its feet.

He did nothing of the sort.

I hate Rudolph Giuliani with the heat of a thousand suns, but one day the squeegee men weren't hassling us at traffic lights, the aggressive "homeless" panhandlers weren't on every street corner and crazy people were put in homeless shelters whether they liked it or not. Ed Koch could have done all of these things but he didn't because all he thought about was himself. I have to give credit where it is due. Giuliani put NYC back on its feet. He was also a racist asshole, a union hater and first class narcissist, but at least he did something for NYC. Koch did nothing but call attention to himself.

by Anonymousreply 7402/01/2013

" I LAP UP MICHELE BACHMANN'S QWEEF SPLATTER! "

by Anonymousreply 7502/01/2013

***BREAKING*** Rev. Al Sharpton to hold a press conference remembering Ed Kock.

by Anonymousreply 7602/01/2013

R73, I know what the fuck a quisling is. I was being sardonic, satirical and sarcastic.

Your attempt at snark is, at best, ironic. At worst, predictable.

by Anonymousreply 7702/01/2013

r71 I'd venture that how a politician chooses to deal with the welfare of his constituents is a fairly important factor in determining his character and performance.

by Anonymousreply 7802/01/2013

[quote][R73], I know what the fuck a quisling is.

Which must explain why you asked what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 7902/01/2013

R68 Spot on. The streets smelled like piss even more back then.The homeless ruled the street. It was no picnic. Koch had so many corrupt cronies it was insane.He did balance the budget but I wonder how much corruption went into his friend's pockets.Was he a Quisling? I always thought he was a collaborator/quasi-moderate when he was congressman. When he was mayor it became more obvious when he shut down the fabulous sex clubs.

Maybe Abe Beame was worse but his reign of terror was short lived whereas Empress Edwina ruled for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 8002/01/2013

Sad to see these apologists for indifferent politicians like Koch and Reagan. Next up they'll start defending the indifference of the German people for letting the holocaust happening.

That Koch and to a larger extent Reagan didn't consider gay people and gay Americans a part of their community or worth saving in response to a public health crisis is crime enough. That Koch was closeted and distanced himself further to protect himself is sickening.

People who think 7 or 8 years of total silence and inactivity is somehow excusable make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 8102/01/2013

[quote] People who think 7 or 8 years of total silence and inactivity is somehow excusable make me sick.

THANK YOU

by Anonymousreply 8202/01/2013

Oh I don't know r72, he was a major Hillary fan.

He went in and out of dementia.

by Anonymousreply 8302/01/2013

Starts @ 6:25, WATCH!

by Anonymousreply 8402/01/2013

PART 2

by Anonymousreply 8502/01/2013

He was a real mixed bag as mayor. He had a great first term after the city had been nearly run into the ground during the disastrous Abe Beame years, but he later terms were marked too much by corruption and cronyism, and Koch was incredibly deaf to his black constituencies.

He did nothing during the AIDS crisis, and whether that had to do with his own closetedness or simply ignorance or unsureness what to do, that does not excuse him. When thousands of your constituents are dying during a plague (any plague), as mayor of a large city you are required to do [italic]something.[/italic] Certainly he did not behave outwardly homophobically during the crisis (the way William F. Buckley and Abe Rosenthal did), but his inactivity was still inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 8602/01/2013

David Ehrenstein goes ALL CAPS in a comment on the Gawker story about Koch's death, revealing the Mayor's alleged lover's name. Scroll down for his comment.

by Anonymousreply 8702/01/2013

Vidkun Quisling was a Norwegian politician who collaborated with the Nazis so he could be the leader of his country when it fell to Hitler. A "quisling" is a traitor or collaborator with the enemy. It was a widely-known term in the decades immediately following World War Two.

A "dodo" is some kind of bird but that is not the only meaning of the term.

by Anonymousreply 8802/01/2013

r87, his name and photo are in r83/84 links.

by Anonymousreply 8902/01/2013

[quote]David Ehrenstein goes ALL CAPS in a comment on the Gawker story about Koch's death, revealing the Mayor's alleged lover's name. Scroll down for his comment.

Well, knowing DE, he's just starting his weekend bender a few hours early.

by Anonymousreply 9002/01/2013

The smurfs are finally safe!

by Anonymousreply 9102/01/2013

r58, as an adult Ed lived in the Village. At 2 Fifth Avenue when he died.

by Anonymousreply 9202/01/2013

R87, are you the David Ehrenstein cheerleader? Please STOP.

by Anonymousreply 9302/01/2013

I'm nobody's cheerleader, R93. I thought some DL readers might be interested that Ehrenstein's crazy as ever, as VOTN pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 9402/01/2013

He's fine! He sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 9502/01/2013

[quote]after the city had been nearly run into the ground during the disastrous Abe Beame years

I hope people don't think Abe Beame was the cause of those years. He did a pretty damn good job a fixing a mess he didn't make, and laid the foundation for recovery.

by Anonymousreply 9602/01/2013

[quote] David Ehrenstein goes ALL CAPS in a comment on the Gawker story about Koch's death, revealing the Mayor's alleged lover's name. Scroll down for his comment.

OK, whichever one of you bitches went onto Gawker and replied to his comment with "Why are straight me so stupid?" gets a fucking gold star.

Hats off to you, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 9802/01/2013

He had a flabby wrinkled ass, but I guess he didn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 9902/01/2013

I have to agree with Ehrenstein this one time. I'm glad he spoke up about Koch.

by Anonymousreply 10002/01/2013

If only there were some way to find these things on the internet...

by Anonymousreply 10102/01/2013

"Bess Myerson, the first Jewish Miss America"

First Jewish Miss America?!? The ONLY Jewish Miss America in 90-something years. Perhaps even the only Jewish contestant!

Btw, WEHT Bess Myerson? Has she commented on Ed's death?

by Anonymousreply 10202/01/2013

I missed the Ehrenstein meltdown years at DL, and I can see from the comment he's probably one hot mess.

However, good on him for putting it out there.

by Anonymousreply 10302/01/2013

"[R73], I know what the fuck a quisling is."

Then why would you have asked what the word meant and guess that it was a bird?

by Anonymousreply 10402/01/2013

I was getting mad at the covering for Reagan and Koch and then the "what is a quisling" line....so I assume that rant was facetious?

by Anonymousreply 10502/01/2013

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 10602/01/2013

"Btw, WEHT Bess Myerson?"

Bess moved to Florida after she went nuts in the "Bess Mess," became suicidal, broke her leg very badly, had cancer, then decided to resign from being a public spectacle.

Don't expect a comment.

by Anonymousreply 10702/01/2013

The death of any of the Koch brothers is reason to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 10802/01/2013

Pat Thaler, Ed's sister was interviewed on television. Who knew he had siblings!

by Anonymousreply 10902/01/2013

When anyone know Richard Nathan and when did he die?

by Anonymousreply 11002/01/2013

Dick Nathan was cast aside like some stranger. What a dick Koch was. The city was still a shitty place when he was mayor. What a hypocritical cunt.

His fake relationship with Bess Myerson was more comical than the Gest/Minelli union.When Bess and The Closet Queen held hands it looked like Koch was squirming.

by Anonymousreply 11102/01/2013

LOL! SSTerri replied to David E on r87's link. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 11302/01/2013

I think when Ed heard that Jim Nabors was off the market, it just sent him over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 11402/01/2013

[quote]LOL! SSTerri replied to David E on [R87]'s link. Good stuff

And someone else asked him his signature DL classic blooper - "why are straight me so stupid?"

by Anonymousreply 11502/01/2013

David E's comment on gawker:

[quote]So glad you're noting his was a vicious closet queen. The only ting you failed to mention was that IN ORDER TO FURTHER HIS POLITICAL CAREER HE DROVE HIS LOVER RICHARD NATHAN OUT OF THE CITY AND WHEN NATHAN SEROCONVERTED LEFT HIM TO DIE OF AIDS ALONE.

"his wasa vicious closet queen"? "ting"? ROTFL!

I'm delighted to know that even though he's long gone from Datalounge, he still is three sheets to the wind early on a Friday morning.

by Anonymousreply 11602/01/2013

The HUGE NY Times obituary had one passing reference to aids and they had to revise the obituary.

The following comment resulted:

"Boy, the GLBT has really hijacked the topic of this man's death for their own political agenda eh? The body is not even cool yet. Phht, what a nerve!"

by Anonymousreply 11702/01/2013

[quote] As HORRIBLE as it was, the % of those who were "dropping like flies," who were affected and/or INfected, was a tiny number in terms of total population. This doesn't excuse the lack of attention but it does provide some perspective,

You want some perspective? 20,000 Americans were dead from AIDS before Reagan uttered the word. Compare that to the US government's response to 911.

by Anonymousreply 11802/01/2013

[quote]Do you really think that if this had been a white, heterosexual male disease that the government intervention would have been appreciably different, at least at first?

Are you fucking serious? There's no need to speculate. Look up the government's response to the first outbreak of legionella.

by Anonymousreply 11902/01/2013

Bump it with a trumpet!

by Anonymousreply 12002/02/2013

I was reminded today (on the Internet of course) that a bunch of people really blamed AIDS on gay men. Bummed out.

I wasn't old enough to get Koch's mayorship but glad at least he did a few positive things for gay rights in his later years.

by Anonymousreply 12102/02/2013

[quote]but glad at least he did a few positive things for gay rights in his later years.

Such as... ?

by Anonymousreply 12202/02/2013

Great.. Now I'm getting it from both sides. He came out in support of gay marriage in 2009. According to this HuffPo article, while in office he "introduced several anti-discrimination bills, elevated openly gay staffers and created the city’s Office of Gay and Lesbian Health Concerns." Maybe that's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 12302/02/2013

Kind of interesting the AP story (featured on Al Jazeera, fox, Boston Herald, LATimes, etc) includes the line:

"Koch was a champion of gay rights, taking on the Roman Catholic Church and scores of political leaders"

Well did he?

by Anonymousreply 12402/02/2013

More about the boyfriend who died alone, please.

Where is d.e. when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 12502/02/2013

And here we are 30 years later with barebacking rampant and teens and 20 somethings still getting infected.

And some of you are mad at Koch? Who are you blaming right here, right now in 2013?

by Anonymousreply 12602/02/2013

You are so, so right to scold all the other posters, r126. Why, you would think they were under the mistaken assumption that this thread is actually [italic]about[/italic] Ed Koch and his legacy!

by Anonymousreply 12702/02/2013

Lifelong New Yorker here. I would say, hands-down, Ed Koch was the best mayor of NYC in my lifetime. OK, considering what crap all the others who came after him were, it makes my first statement faint praise indeed. But I will add that Mayor Koch accomplished one thing that I consider somewhat of a miracle: he practically eliminated graffiti in the subways.

by Anonymousreply 12802/02/2013

Koch called Donald Trump piggie.

I don't expect Donald to make any remarks about Koch's death.

by Anonymousreply 12902/02/2013

Also a lifetime New Yorker, and i would say Koch was the worst mayor of my lifetime--except perhaps Beame. Besides fighting the gays all his terms, and doing nothing for AIDS, he was an unmitigated economic disaster. A silly man who was all about posing and nothing about the grit of the city. Just a closeted fool.

by Anonymousreply 13002/02/2013

Was Richard Nathan a graphic designer whose brother was also a graphic designer?

by Anonymousreply 13102/02/2013

[quote]He became a Republican towards the end. He did a radio spot every week with former Sen. Al D'Amato where they both trashed Obama and the Democrats relentlessly.

Only because he was a neo con and Likudnik dirtbag who felt Obama wasn't groveling enough before Israel. He made that quite clear, so any asshole who says otherwise is full of shit.

He eventually supported Obama (like anyone should give a shit who that fugly gargoyle supports) because of some "rah-rah" Israel speech given by Obama. Heaven forbid his endorsement should be based on DOMESTIC issues.

by Anonymousreply 13202/02/2013

R130 amen to that. I remember how bad Beame was. An absolute disaster BUT Ed Koch was highly ineffectual. What a vain,vapid and closeted man he was. And a shitty mayor to boot.

by Anonymousreply 13302/02/2013

R127, my point was that no matter what Koch would have said or done, the course of history for HIV/AIDS would not have changed at all. There was no magic wand for him to wave that would have prevented any deaths or eradicated the disease. People are still getting infected and dying.

by Anonymousreply 13402/02/2013

Has Larry Kramer made a statement yet?

by Anonymousreply 13502/02/2013

R134, have you ever heard the phrase "damn him with faint praise?"

by Anonymousreply 13602/02/2013

For more on Dick Nathan, the boyfriend that Koch forced to leave the city, look at the film Outrage posted at R84 and R85.

by Anonymousreply 13702/03/2013

the world is a vampire, but the blood is tainted, the leeches will die by the sword. its a tragic end to a history that evolved into nothingness. and era of internet, video games and addictive drugs distracts while illuminati set the stage for the final act. God help us all!!

by Anonymousreply 13802/08/2013

Aids...gay population control? it never worked. they r working on the next one..

by Anonymousreply 13902/08/2013

He was a jerk, let's just admit it. Not a person we could be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 14002/08/2013

R130, you don't remember Lindsay?

by Anonymousreply 14102/08/2013

While you guys verbaly assault each other from your pro-Koch & anti-Koch camps, I would like to add some perspective.

Like him or not, Koch was the last "good" mayor, and by good I mean that he left the city in better shape than he inhereted it. Since Kock we had four miserable years under Dinkins and then a complete sterilization and stripping of New York's soul under Giuliani. Giuliani set the table for Bloomberg, who has simply moved forward with a global money-centric vision of New York akin to Hong Kong or Beijing.

Koch had his faults; I lived smack in the center of the West Village in the 80's so I am well aware of the AIDS crisis, but still he was a mayor that believed in allowing New York's diversity and individuality some breathing room. He did not organize Gestapo-like sweeps of the village like Giuliani did. He did not sweep the freaks and the marginal under the rug to make room for corporate money and big business. He did not ban smoking in parks like Bloomberg.

Then again, he was a product of his times. There was no 9/11 there was no Disney on 42nd Street, there was no Williamsburg mecca. There was no $3000 rent. The GW wasn't $12. I'm not sure how he would handle New York today. I only know he was the last good mayor New York has seen.

by Anonymousreply 14202/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.