Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you believe in the power of the individual?

Like one person can change the world and perhaps create jobs for a lot of people in the U.S. Do you think one, just one person would be able to do that?

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

Of course not! One person can be a leader, if he has the gifts and talents, and can lead a group which can make a great deal of difference in the world. More often than not, the leaders do harm rather than good. An example of a great leader who did much harm would be Jerry Falwell. An example of a great leader who did much good would be Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Neither of them could have done anything as an individual.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Yes. Can one person create jobs for 10% of Americans? Not in the private sector he can't.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Or to put it another way, I believe in the power of every individual, by which I mean that I also believe in the power of social forces against the individual. I have never met a successful individualist whose achievement weren't wildly exaggerated and who didn't take credit for things other people did. On the other hand, nothing at all happens without them. With regard to the economy, the best thing is create a reasonable reward for work. The winner take all gambling economy is destructive to work, and lets be frank, there is nobody in the world who deserves even 1 billion dollars for anything they have ever done.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

Jim Jones comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.