Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hitler vs. Stalin

Which of the two was worse, and why?

And how awful must it have been to live in eastern Europe from 1941 to 1945 and even beyond?

by Anonymousreply 2711/15/2013

Stalin by far.

A very well done and fascinating read: Bloodlands - Europe Between Hitler and Stalin by Timothy Snyder

by Anonymousreply 101/31/2013

White Belt Man is off his meds and is compulsively posting any thread topic that pops up in his mind ... especially topics from other threads

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

I read that book, R1. It sort of inspired this thread.

I thought it was good, though it petered out towards the end a bit.

And Timothy Snyder has this bizarre habit of beating a central theme to death in a really literal manner.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

one had that RIDICULOUS mustache, the other was FAT

Those Bitches were BOTH DREADFUL!

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

Hard to compare...it is like saying which is worse...AnnE or Lens

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Stalin doesn't get spotlight, which is insane. He killed more people than anyone could count.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

Which of the two was worse is almost impossible to answer--Hitler never returned library books by their due dates; yet, on the other hand, Stalin was notoriously tardy with his bread-and-butter notes. I'd say it's pretty much a tie between the two, in my opinion.

You bring up another interesting question that will be very difficult to answer but I trust you'll forgive me if I go out on a limb here and advocate the position that it must have been very awful to live in Europe during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Comedy is not your thing r8....try drama

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

Mussolini was worse. He was the inspiration for the game show "Tattletales". He used real lightning during the lightning round.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

Why from 1941? The WWII started in 1939.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

Worse at what? killing people? Stalin killed far more people than Hitler. Hitler's problem is that he killed lots of Jews and they'll never let the world forget it. Kind of like 9-11 will never be forgotten because a few thousand Americans got killed. Today, there are thousands of people in countries all over the world who are being killed by dictators but nobody cares about them because some of us are more equal than others.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Stalin made Hitler look like Mother Teresa.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

LOL R4

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

R12 = Jesse Jackson

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

"Deka-mega murderers" from the Rudolph Joseph Rummel's hawaii.edu website on "democide."

by Anonymousreply 1611/15/2013

[quote]Today, there are thousands of people in countries all over the world who are being killed by dictators but nobody cares about them because some of us are more equal than others.

As I've gotten older, I've finally accepted as fact that many humans are flat out evil. I honestly could not admit to that when I was younger.

by Anonymousreply 1711/15/2013

Adolf by far. But only because he had Heinrich. Little Heinrich understood the power of glamour and had a real eye for it. He tinkered with that SS uniform for years until he got it pitch perfect: the white gloves for the dress uniform the finishing touch. Then he burnished it with some mythmaking and occult glamour. And he personally oversaw the recruiting so that, originally, only the dreamiest got into the SS. No wonder the BDM girls had that notorious habit of pushing their heads between the soldiers legs on parade days to supposedly get a better view! No wonder that when they victory marched into Paris they cast for looks and put the very handsomest in the front and side rows to intimidate the French. Heartstopping glamour! What's this? An invitation to Coco's apartment to join her, Cocteau, and a possy of hunky kraut broken-nosed generals, to knock back the Krug? Would one pause? "Well hel-looo Manfred!" What? Millions are dying? Oh shut the fuck up Debbie Downer!

Mussolini understood glamour too. But Stalin? No fascinating fascism there, darlings. Just drab, drab, drab! Well, no. Some of those Ukrainian lads do have hair that ripples like sheaves of wheat. But it's really pointless when they're starving.

by Anonymousreply 1811/15/2013

Girls! Girls! You're both bloodthirsty monsters!

by Anonymousreply 1911/15/2013

I've never understood, what's the point thinking, which of them was worse. Both made some horrible decisions and millions suffered in the most terrible ways one could imagine.

by Anonymousreply 2011/15/2013

Joe Stalin killed far more people ... enemies, real or imagined, would be killed depending on his mood. Imagine the fear those around him had to live with wondering what kind of dream he had that previous night because they could be next.

by Anonymousreply 2111/15/2013

Where is the evidence that Stalin was an Atheist? He studied to become a priest when he was younger. Hitler was a devout Catholic. He was not an Atheist either.

by Anonymousreply 2211/15/2013

Idi Amin and the Emperor Bokassa actually ate their victims.

by Anonymousreply 2311/15/2013

And Pol Pot was without equal.

by Anonymousreply 2411/15/2013

[quote]And Pol Pot was without equal.

Shut the fuck up, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 2511/15/2013

R23, what is wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 2611/15/2013

r17, humans, by nature, are self-destructive. And barbaric.

by Anonymousreply 2711/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.