Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Report: Your Salary Data May Be For Sale

If you've earned a paycheck in recent years, you'll probably want want to know about this:

The Equifax credit reporting agency, NBC News reports, has collected 190 million employment and salary records on about one-third of U.S. adults and has sold some of the information "to debt collectors, financial service companies and other entities."

Robert Mather, who runs a small employment background company named, tells the network that "it's the biggest privacy breach in our time, and it's legal and no one knows it's going on. ... It's like a secret CIA."

In an email to NBC News, Equifax says it complies with Fair Credit Reporting Act guidelines, that the companies buying the information "must have a permissible purpose" and that consumers give the companies the OK to get the data when they apply for credit. Presumably, the OK is in the fine print.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

This is what happens when contract laws favor the employer. Employees who disclose salary are fired. What unions have to do is buy this information (through a front company) and share it with their members.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Two stories about Equifax. I worked at a company and an administrative assistant who didn't like me for whatever reason threatened me, saying that her Dad was an executive at Equifax and could ruin my credit. Later I moved to Atlanta and I had a couple open positions to fill. Equifax employees applied and I interviewed two of them. Both of them threatened to ruin my credit if they didn't get the job (they didn't). I don't know if any of these people made good on their threats since I have excellent credit today and it was the 90s and I didn't need credit back then. But it sure made me wonder about that business.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

R2, in every union job I've had, everybody's salary was common knowledge since everybody made the same salary based on their job and time at the job.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

Why the knee-jerk reaction? We all know our credit information is available to any company where we apply for more credit. And to potential employers if we sign their request form.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!