Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cheap Christian pastor refuses to tip and gets waitress fired

Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee’s, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined

Neetzan Zimmerman

Hell hath no fury like a pastor scorned by the Internet.

After a copy of her Applebee's receipt began circulating online yesterday, Pastor Alois Bell of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries phoned up the restaurant and asked to have everyone involved fired.

"My heart is really broken," the 37-year-old told The Smoking Gun. "I've brought embarrassment to my church and ministry."

Last Friday, after evening services, Bell and her congregation headed to Applebee's for dinner as they did on many nights.

But a disagreement over the establishment's auto-gratuity of 18% for parties of 8 or more would soon propel the pastor to the heights of Internet infamy.

"I give God 10% why do you get 18," Bell wrote on her credit card receipt after crossing out the tip amount she was obliged to pay.

A server working at the restaurant uploaded a scan of the receipt to Reddit, and the rest is viral history.

Though Bell was denied her request to have a brand new staff awaiting her the next time she dined at her neighborhood Applebee's, she did succeed in getting at least one person fired: The waitress who posted the receipt online.

"I originally posted the note as a lighthearted joke," Chelsea Welch told Consumerist. "I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical. I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining."

They did — but Bell did not.

The pastor called it a "lapse in my character and judgment" that "has been blown out of proportion." Somewhat an ironic statement coming from someone who ordered Applebee's to fire everyone who came into contact with the receipt.

For her part, Welch did what she could to avoid having Bell's identity exposed, asking Reddit to stop posting the personal information of potential culprits.

In fact, Bell still isn't sure what exactly she did wrong.

"I didn't break any specific guidelines in the company handbook - I checked," said Welch, who had no complaints about her service prior to this week. "Because this person got embarrassed that their selfishness was made public, Applebee's has made it clear that they would rather lose a dedicated employee than lose an angry customer. That's a policy I can't understand."

Neither will Reddit, which is no longer being kept at bay by Welch, and has already put out a call to "grab them pitchforks."

by Anonymousreply 13402/17/2014

Love it. She's the "pastor" of a 15 member store front church. I have a feeling she may be the object of worship there. What an egomaniac.

My question is who receives the 10% that these 15 members tithe from their incomes? The pastor claims to tithe herself, but declines to state what her full time job is. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

[quote]Bell was denied her request to have a brand new staff awaiting her the next time she dined at her neighborhood Applebee's

I can totally see Jesus doing that, too.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

The waitress needs to sue applebees.

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

[quote]"I give God 10% why do you get 18," Bell wrote on her credit card receipt after crossing out the tip amount she was obliged to pay.

So classy.

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

Let's see that pastor write a similar note on her federal IRS return.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

Continuing the legacy of christianity....

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

Posted at Yahoo article:

She is the pastor of a 15 member church that rents a storefront. She claims to tithe 10% of her own income, but declines to state what her full time job is. So these 15 members are tithing 10% of their own incomes to whom or what? Say an average household income of $30,000 from 15 members would be $45,000/year. I can't imagine a storefront in economically depressed St. Louis rents for much. $500/ month? Beyond heating and electricity, the probably just pay for coffee and donuts. Where's about $35K going? Pastor Alois Bell is upset because of the potential to expose her cushy little scam.

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

We are not the only people outraged.

NO ONE does outrage like the sheep in the flock!

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

Crapplebees should be boycotted for firing her.

by Anonymousreply 1101/31/2013

I love this one:

[quote] Shame on you for getting someone fired because YOU are a cheapskate. Shame on you!! Jesus asks for 10% of your SALARY, not 10% of a lousy food bill. And with your soulless note to a hard working waitperson, I doubt you even tithe to God 10%. SHAME ON YOU.

I forgot the part of the bible where Jesus asks for 10%.

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

I bet that $6.29 tip doesn't seem like such a heavy price to pay any more. The pastor made a national laughingstock of herself to save less than seven dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

What's so amusing is that she claimed to leave $6 in cash on the table. A mere 29 cents less than what would have gone on the card. Uh, huh. Bearing false witness, preacher?

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

It's way to easy for any pontificator to arrange a tax free hate group in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

Let's see ... I brought embarrassment to my congregation due to my cheapness and passive-aggressiveness, so I seek to make things right by GETTING THE ENTIRE APPLEBEE'S STAFF FIRED?

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

She's on Youtube in her "preaching." Screaming, racing back and forth, obviously nuts - above and beyond the dramatics required by such congregations.

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

IRS needs to audit this bitch. She's obviously a cheater.

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

She was mainly trying to act high and mighty to show off to her congregation, I am sure.

If she hadn't made such a fuss, we wouldn't have known. I admit, my first thought was of an old, white man.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

I used to read Bitterwaitress before it went on Facebook. Conservative religious types, regardless of race, tend to be lousy tippers. I've read stories of some leaving a prayer card in lieu of a tip. I've also read at least one story of congregants complaining to servers that they shouldn't work on a Sunday as they are being cooked and served breakfast on Sunday after services. Just more Christian hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

[quote]I forgot the part of the bible where Jesus asks for 10%.

Stupidity tax.

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

If the fundies are OK with tipping with bible quotes, then a good counter protest would be leaving condoms and gay sex advice pamphlets in the collection baskets.

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2013

Never trust a pastor with the same first name as Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

I am so relieved that I am going to hell with all the truly good people.

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

Lol @ r24. :)

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

I feel another DL-led Dr. Bridget Hilliard take down coming on. We could contact the local papers and ask them to investigate this "church", report the pastor to the IRS, and take up the cause of the fired waitress (who did not violate Applebee's code of conduct). Who is with me?

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

I could teach this broad a thing or two.

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

What a fucking bitch.

Storefront church = total scam. Talk about making it up as you go along.

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

What a cheap cunt

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

[quote]I feel another DL-led Dr. Bridget Hilliard take down coming on. We could contact the local papers and ask them to investigate this "church",

That was fun and it was so easy. The greedy woman had a huge page of suggested posh gifts she wanted for her birthday. We were lucky to get someone at the newspaper to check out our thread and then check out her gift requests.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

Dr. Hilliard requested only luxury goods (e.g. Gucci) from her flock. They paid to attend the gala and had to bring sufficiently expensive gifts. Someone did e-mail the Houston paper. The columnist said it was OK as long as she declared gifts over certain amount, IIRC. Except Hilliard wasn't some small time scammer. It was one of those "New Life" mega churches.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

Funny how so many "pastors" act exactly like the people that Jesus despised.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

[quote]Let's please not turn tits into the same boring Christian thread

One of my favorite Bible stories, R34, is the one where Jesus turns tits into thread.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2013

She is a true Cuntessa

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2013

[quote]Let's please not turn tits into the same boring Christian thread that seems to pop up with ever increasing frequency. You claim you want tolerance but seem to relish practicing the same hate speech against Christians who actually love you if you want to tell the truth.

I love the way you have "tits" on your mind while posting about love.

Don't you just feel the love from James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Pope Ratzinger, Ted Haggard, Bishop Eddie Long, and all those fabulous Christians!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2013

[quote]One of my favorite Bible stories, [R34], is the one where Jesus turns tits into thread.

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2013

I'm with you too, R26. I think the bitch needs a little more pressure to see the error of her ways.

And, the waitress needs her job back.

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2013

I'm in love with r35.

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2013

Churches are nothing more than businesses. They don't care about anything but money, so this isn't surprising.

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

[quote]Valdeci Picanto, 59, was arrested in Apore, Goiás, Brazil, for raping several women attending his church. He gave as an excuse that his penis had been consecrated with “divine semen of the Holy Spirit.”

[quote]Denise Pinheiro, delegate of the region, said, “Valdecir was caught red-handed while rubbing his penis in the face of a local merchant, which promised to make more sales in her business due to the divine liquid. When we act Valdecir offered no resistance and even asked if I wanted to be part of the kingdom of heaven on the way to the police station. He is not ashamed of such acts and thinks they are the most normal things in the world.”

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

Yep, she is guilty of being a rude egoist. I don't think it would matter if she were christian, muslim, jewish, hindu, or native spiritualist.

BUT (and this is where I'll take a kicking)

A mandatory 18%!!! You need some serious moxie to expect that regardless of service level. Not much in this case but substantial on bigger bills.

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

Seeing Alois in action on Youtube, it is apparent that she needs less Applebee's and more Jenny Craig.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

[quote]In addition to her fledgling ministry, Bell has authored three [bold]slim[/bold] books--covering [bold]topics like fasting,[/bold] prayer, and religious teaching--that are available for purchase through an online vanity press. One 28-page volume examines spiritual nourishment, complete with references to candy and junk food. The $10 paperback is titled "Watch the Hand that Feeds You."

Fasting? She needs to practice that one a bit more. The books may be slim, even if she's not.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

Pastor Bell learns of the tip imbroglio.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

The pastor was obviously looking for attention. If not, she would have just paid the bill and left out the tip without scribbling her 10% to the lord bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4702/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

Most store front churches are money laundering scams and have even been exposed as gun-selling operations or human trafficking waystations.

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

[quote]A mandatory 18%!!! You need some serious moxie to expect that regardless of service level. Not much in this case but substantial on bigger bills.

It's applied to parties of 8 or more because too often servers were stiff on tips because people thought their "friends had left the tip." It's normally younger people, foreigners and other folks who are known as poor tippers*.

In this case, the customers requested separate checks, likely thinking that the mandatory gratuity would not apply.

Wrong. It applies no matter how many separate checks are issued.

So in this case, the gambit backfired and the good pastor was assessed the gratuity along with everyone else in the party.

*And please forgive me for saying but unfortunately it is a known fact among servers that there is a subset of single, African-American women who consistently tip little or not at all. I know it sounds racist but ask a waiter or waitress in that end of the business. This was an affront to the pastor who - based on her note - likely never leaves more than 10% at a restaurant.

And, yes, there are those on DL who under-tip or who never tip, but they're just cunts. They have their own subset.

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

From Applebee's FB page:

As a company that relies on literally hundreds of thousands of incredibly hard working Team Members, we can assure you that we and our franchisees value and support them and their efforts. However this unfortunate situation has nothing to do with work. The Team Member involved did not wait on the guest or party. Regrettably, and without the restaurant's knowledge, she took it upon herself to take ...a Guest's receipt, with the name clearly visible, and posted it online with her own commentary. That is a clear violation of our Guest's privacy and against the franchisee's company policy that the Team Member was provided when hired. We simply cannot accept behavior that compromises the safety and privacy our Guests have every right to expect and deserve. Please note that we are also not excusing the Guest's behavior in this matter and the unacceptable comment she wrote on the receipt, which is offensive to us and all our hard working team members. To be clear, the 18% gratuity added to large party tickets was paid by the Guest’s party. This is a regrettable situation, and we wish it had never happened. we hope this provides you with some additional insight. Thanks again for the chance to explain.

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

[quote]A mandatory 18%!!! You need some serious moxie to expect that

Not moxie. Just an awareness as to how the world works. This is standard practice and has been for decades.

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

Are you sure there were more than eight of them, r50? I ate at Applebee's with a friend the other day, and the bottom of my check had an automatic 17% gratuity added. They went out of their way to make it look like the actual total, with the post-gratuity amount in huge font and preceded by a "You Pay." I think it's just a thing they're doing now.

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

R43. then it needs to be addressed by speaking to the manager, not sneaking out like a coward.

by Anonymousreply 5402/01/2013

[quote]with the name clearly visible

That's why she's fucked.

by Anonymousreply 5502/01/2013

R55-there are several pictures on FB from Applebee's with complimentary notes written on bills and signed by the diners-none of those servers were fired and were probably published by Applebee's management themselves. Hypocrites much?

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

Good thing philistines like the pastor don't travel outside the US. They'd flip out in Europe because of [italic]service compris[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 5702/01/2013

So much hate for black females. I always tip 15-20%, but there are times when I can tell that the waiter is surprised that they are tipped well by me.

by Anonymousreply 5802/01/2013

Until the 70s, the majority of cooks and waitresses were black. How much do you think whites tipped them....hummmm?

by Anonymousreply 5902/01/2013

Well, it could be because you're a lesbian, R58. Lesbians have a notorious reputation for being bad tippers.

by Anonymousreply 6002/01/2013

That isn't true, R59. The majority of waitresses in the USA were never black. And cooks aren't tipped at all.

by Anonymousreply 6102/01/2013

[quote][R55]-there are several pictures on FB from Applebee's with complimentary notes written on bills and signed by the diners-none of those servers were fired and were probably published by Applebee's management themselves. Hypocrites much?

You don't really get this, do you?

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2013

[quote]So much hate for black females. I always tip 15-20%, but there are times when I can tell that the waiter is surprised that they are tipped well by me.

It has nothing to do with hate.

Black servers have the same problem.

The same applies to Canadians, even when they are aware of U.S. tipping customs.

Some groups are just shitty tippers.

by Anonymousreply 6302/01/2013

R58 I am trying to find instances of there being so much hate for black females here. I see no love for cheap, petty, bullies, but only one poster singled out something negative towards black women.

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2013

Gawd. I want to +1 replies 1 through forever here, lol.

by Anonymousreply 6502/01/2013

Some groups were never afforded access to jobs that offered tips. Now those groups are suppose to become excellent tippers?

by Anonymousreply 6602/01/2013

[quote]Some groups were never afforded access to jobs that offered tips. Now those groups are suppose to become excellent tippers?

No, they should resist assimilation.

by Anonymousreply 6702/01/2013

[quote]Now those groups are suppose to become excellent tippers?

You are not a group. You are an individual. If you choose to take service from a tipped employee you are expected to become a fair tipper, not an excellent tipper and not a poor tipper. Just a fair tipper. Otherwise you are not supposed to make a tipped employee serve you. That is what McDonald's is for.

by Anonymousreply 6802/01/2013

That’s quite the dick move pastor Alois Bell from the Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries in St. Louis, Missouri. You should be ashamed of yourself. I would not be surprised if a lot of people called your church at 314-703-1238, to let you know how disappointed they are with your actions.

by Anonymousreply 6902/01/2013

I wouldn't EVER want to be associated with such cheap, vulgar, rude people. Such a fake christian. Just appalling.

by Anonymousreply 7002/01/2013

I couldn't be arsed unless she is anti-gay as well. There are many other targets more worthy of our ridicule.

I'd rather see the waitstaff get her job back than see this woman humiliated, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 7102/01/2013

[quote]I'd rather see the waitstaff get her job back than see this woman humiliated, to be honest.

I'd rather see the woman get an IRS audit.

by Anonymousreply 7202/01/2013

Does her "church" pay taxes?

by Anonymousreply 7302/01/2013

[quote]blacks DO NOT TIP WELL. I'm not being racist

Not to quibble, but if you're making a blanket statement about an entire group of people sharing a behavioral attribute you're behaving like a racist.

Especially when you go on to say a couple times that you have been tipped well by black people.

by Anonymousreply 7502/01/2013

Could someone who has worked as a server please tell me what the appropriate thing to do is when the service truly is horrible?

I try to tip fairly, usually at least 20% and often more, unless service was crappy, then I give 15%. But as a black person I would like a way to say "fuck you and your shitty service." without falling into a stereotype.

Hopefully there is someone in the industry that can be honest about this, most of the time the response I get is "I've never heard of a server being rude for no reason..."

by Anonymousreply 7702/01/2013

You could always ask to talk to the manager about the service, r 77.

by Anonymousreply 7802/01/2013

I think we should make fun of her for being a stupid Christian running a scam. Can we leave the generalizations out of it? This thread is mostly funny but now it's being derailed.

by Anonymousreply 7902/01/2013

Getting back to the original topic .. how the heck did she get to be a pastor? Is this a self-declared thing? Or don't you need a degree/certification etc.

by Anonymousreply 8002/01/2013

Ten dollar certificate, and off you go! Tax free hate group!

by Anonymousreply 8102/01/2013

Love the the smoking gun video showing a congregation member on his knees with his ass sticking out like he wants his salad tossed.

by Anonymousreply 8202/01/2013

To answer your question on becoming a pastor, it depends on the greater church that you belong to. Becoming a pastor or priest in the major sects--Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc--requires that you attend seminary run by those churches. In a small church that doesn't belong to a major sect--ie a stand-alone, rather than a franchise, if you will--anyone can call themselves a pastor. In most African-American churches with a large congregation, because of the last of religious training for pastors--typically the church council would vote on who the next pastor would be, based on who the best preacher was.

by Anonymousreply 8302/01/2013

Ask for the manager as soon as you notice your server has an attitude, and then ask the manager for a different server.

The reality is that if you tip less than 15%, the remainder of it comes out of the server's earnings for the day. At the end of the shift, the manager will assume you've made 15% of your sales, and they will automatically deduct a percentage of your tips to pay the busboys, the bartender, and the expeditor who works in the kitchen.

So, regardless of whether that server actually made the 15%, her tips will be divvied out to the support staff as if she had.

by Anonymousreply 8402/01/2013

Churches don't pay taxes.

The scarier thing is neither do most pastors/priests. I have encountered churches where the pastor was making 150k per year, but paying the same income tax as the janitor making 9.25/hour. Our ridiculous tax laws allow that pastors/priests--watch this--don't have to pay taxes on income used for housing. So pastors, and they mostly all do this, declare that huge portions of their income, just enough to push their taxable income into the 47% bracket, are being spent on their mortgage and house repairs, and so they pay no appreciable sales tax.

Another interesting fact: churches do not pay into the unemployment pool. Church employees that are laid off do not receive any unemployment, and they are often not informed of this fact until they lose their job.

by Anonymousreply 8502/01/2013

So they pay no appreciable federal income tax.

by Anonymousreply 8602/01/2013

If you can't fork over at least a 20% tip for your own meal, then you need to keep your ass at home.

by Anonymousreply 8702/01/2013

oh get over yourselves. Tipping is not the great debate some of you make it to be. You are mostly white and male by your own admission so take your most privileged status and make something of yourselves. Jesus, aren't you ashamed this job is all you've got even with the head start you have not earned?

Fuckers scrathin over $5. Talking about somebody who needs to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 8802/01/2013

Guuurrrll? Seriously? Stay home,or get take-out! Also if you are a bad tipper you have eaten(at the very least!) a lot of spit! I cannot believe how many stupid motherfuckers have not figured this out yet! People that don't tip are the worst fucking low life's . You needn't wonder why nothing ever goes right for you. It is your shitty karma ! This asshole above me,lives in squalor ,in a filthy apartment,and he's probably ,using a computer he stole from his best friend! Also spent the cat-sitting money on weed(instead of cat food!). Every single dollar you sped on tipping comes back to you two-fold. I'm done with you,now get the fuck out of my sight.

by Anonymousreply 8902/01/2013

lol @ 89. Thinks a tip is quintessential altruism returning to elevate the life's of the greedy and selfish. If you want recent stats, it's rappers yep hip hop thugs that are the biggest tippers. Guess that proves your point?

by Anonymousreply 9002/01/2013

Oh, geez. The last two comments, classic Friday night PWIW.

by Anonymousreply 9102/02/2013

[quote]Becoming a pastor or priest in the major sects--Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc--requires that you attend seminary run by those churches.

Not necessarily. While there are Baptist seminaries, all we'd technically have to do to form the First Baptist Church of the Datalounge is to all sign confession of faith and elect someone as minister. Boom, church.

by Anonymousreply 9202/02/2013

I worked as a server in several places over the years. When I was in college, I worked at the now defunct ChiChi's. The black servers I worked with even admitted that their fellow blacks were shitty tippers. I don't know how many times I heard one of my black co-workers utter--as some black people walked in "PLEASE don't sit in my section...PLEASE don't sit in my, shit! There goes my tip!"

Like r20 mentioned, THE WORST were the fundie after-church crowd. I worked at Bob Evens in high school and I absolutely DREADED having to work Sunday morning / early afternoon. These so called "Christians" would drive me ( and the other waitstsff) CRAZY with their incessant demands. They would ask for some lemons, then make "lemonade" out the water and sugar packets. I've seen the "good Christian" fraus dump the sugar packs and coffee creamers in their purse.

Don't get me started on the loud, hypocritical saying grace. If you want to pray before you eat, fine. I don't give a shit. Just don't do it loudly and ask others to join you!

And yes---I have received a religious tract as a tip.

by Anonymousreply 9302/02/2013

The weird thing is when the table tips really, really badly, then reappears one or two weeks later, ready for more excellent service. And always with weird, media-influenced "acting rich" behavior. Tip terribly once, but then to go back again and again to the scene of the crime? Do they like the taste of rubber kitchen rug and kitchen staff saliva (a cherished ritual in which I chose not to take part. Now, if the cook dropped the chicken cutlet on the floor, just rinse that shit off and serve it to the cheap devil). Once, a group of narcissistic honky twits dined at my table after coming in at closing. There was nobody else in the restaurant. They raved about a Marianne Williamson seminar they had just attended, and were dancing next to the table in bliss. The kitchen staff sighed as they waited to wrap up and go home. An hour later, they left me thirty five cents on a fifty dollar check. I followed them up the sidewalk and said to the wimp from the table and said, "you left this behind". They acted all confused n' shit, but not a little scared, now on the neutral sidewalk zone. I liked that, scaring them a little. I'm white. All races have the potential to be cheap. Proper tipping is a mark of class and being hip to one's fellow man.

by Anonymousreply 9402/02/2013

R88. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 9502/02/2013

r77 -- I'm a waiter, and I often don't know what to do when I get bad service. Sometimes I chalk it up to something going on in the kitchen that I might not be aware of, or the waiter getting yelled at by the chef -- that happens all the time, especially at fine dining restaurants -- or the waiter just having a bad day. It happens. I went out to eat a two nights ago and got awful service. I still left 20%. I usually leave a lot more if the service is good. I suppose I feel like the extra buck or two out of my pocket doesn't matter that much to me, but it might matter to the waiter. Maybe he needs the money. Maybe it will show him not to judge a table by it's cover or color. Or, you can do what my cousin does: if she doesn't think she got good service, she leaves 10%, and makes sure she tells the waiter that she's generally a very good tipper, but she felt like she didn't get the service she deserved, so she's only leaving 10%. It's effective.

by Anonymousreply 9602/02/2013

this is funny

by Anonymousreply 9702/02/2013

R97 is not funny at all. I can't imagine why he doesn't have an acting career. And it's a bit gauche to insist that 20% is the standard tip. You start at 15%, dick. And if the service is bad, you get nothing but a complaint to the manager. If you do well, you get 25%+

by Anonymousreply 9802/02/2013

Tipping is a tricky thing. As a regular visitor to the US, I know that tipping is mandatory. A few years ago I made a dreadful / honest mistake - I was laughing with my friends and only left, what turned out to be, a 12% tip. The wait-person burst into tears and manager came over and was very aggressive and hostile. The other diners watched this floorshow with amusement. I instantly offered some more $ but was then told that wasn't enough. Had this not been a place my friends visited regularly (they were my guests that night) I would not have been such a pussy. It can be a little confusing when visiting another country!

by Anonymousreply 9902/02/2013

The manager and waitress had such reaction to 12%? That's overboard.

by Anonymousreply 10002/02/2013

[quote]Also if you are a bad tipper you have eaten(at the very least!) a lot of spit!

I live in a semi-small town, about 250k. We don't eat out nightly, it's too expensive and when we do eat it the place will vary, so we go to a restaurant maybe once every 4 months at the most. It's always a new server, I've never seen the same servers twice. Seems to be a very high turn over rate. So how do they know how you tip?

by Anonymousreply 10102/02/2013

What makes my blood boil is that this phony 'pastor' doesn't pay her fair share of taxes, yet she was too freaking cheap to leave a tip. Fuck her, fat assed fug ignorant slob. I heard her talking on TV, she was such a brain trust!

I worked at a fashion company many years ago, our on-staff printing department's boss was a so-called 'reverend'. He was always going on about us, being "sinners and heathens".

The biggest joke was the hypocrisy this 'reverend' was involved in. He'd stumble into work drunk out of his mind nearly every morning, he was closeted and married to a lesbian who also worked at the company. This place was like sa oap opera come to life!

His wife, who was an unattractive as he was, she literally looked like a Troll doll wearing Coke bottle eyeglasses, was having an affair with another lesbian from work!

Years down the line, a former work friend saw the so-called 'reverend' in a Village gay bar making out with a guy who was clearly a prostitute, because the printer guy was vile and the young guy he was with was very hot.

Still more years later, I got a weird letter in the mail stating the 'reverend' had died of AIDS and would I contribute to this specific AIDS charity. I was all so creepy.

I barely spoke to this asshole while I worked for the company, where the hell did he get my address?! I guess he somehow got all his former co-workers addresses from the company? Isn't that illegal?

My point is, there is so much hypocrisy when it comes to so-called religious people, I make sure to steer clear of them.

by Anonymousreply 10202/02/2013

So, who's with me on starting our own Church of DataLounge?

We can all alternate being the pastor every day, so we can all benefit from the tax-free religulous bullshit that other people do!

by Anonymousreply 10402/02/2013

I can spot every shitty tipper on this thread! They all have a sanctimonious, defensive tone. The truth is each and every one of you feels the same tiny twinge of guilt every time you do it. You know you should leave more but convince yourselves something about the service justifies what you are about to do. You will never change. You are stealing service. I waited tables for twenty years and the experience is the reason I have such a low opinion of MOST people. I would never associate with someone who did not understand the nature of service. Good people are good tippers! It is that simple. Shorting a server is the equivalent of having money removed from your paycheck. YOUR!! Paycheck. You will NEVER understand this. It is one of the many reasons you are a low life.

by Anonymousreply 10502/02/2013

I loathe bad service. I had terrible service last night, for Christ's sake, with the waiter disappearing for 20 minutes at a time, getting orders wrong, being surly, and the bus boy attempting to remove FIVE PLATES at various times while people were still eating.

But I don't undertip, except for outright hate crimes and endangerment. I could see the bus help was overworked and simply avid. If I stiffed the waiter I would stiff the kid. But I talked to the manager of the evening, will write the owner, and posted a review.

It's a hassle, but decent service combined with decent food are very hard to find today, if you're trying different places. I accept the likelihood that the fundamentals will be missed, because I live in America, which is akin to a third-world country populated by Bizarro, arrogant morons.

NONE OF WHICH has anything to do with the offensive, entitled, false-Christian gapecunt who stiffed the server in question.

by Anonymousreply 10602/02/2013

Well, first you would need to apply for a 501c--non-profit status for a religious non-profit--which will take you some time, unless you want to join a larger "church" that already has one, but you'll have to tithe to them.

Once you have you 501c, you list your house as a parsonage--BAM! no property tax. Your income is all housing allowance--BAM! no income tax. (Take your money from your real job and donate it to the church. Then you receive that cash back as your pastor salary and "housing.")

Many phony churches rent storefronts in strip malls and fill them with rented copy machines, vending machines, etc, to cover the cost of renting the storefront. The tax authorities rarely/never check churches.

by Anonymousreply 10702/03/2013

How do you fire this cheap, vindictive,( dear lord, let me not use the bitch word, even when it actually applies outside of dog shows) "reverend" ? This is the message of Jesus ?

by Anonymousreply 10802/03/2013

Um, delulah, hello, this IS the word of the Jesus People. "Let us fuck over those who are not us, O Lord, but let us not be fucked over, because we believe in you infinite grace, O Lord. These infidels matter not, O Lord, for they have not taken your Blood and Body into their heart, and know not of Your work.

Forever and ever Amen"

Fucking punch them all.

by Anonymousreply 10902/03/2013

R97 link is surprisingly accurate. My experiences as well, some groups just seem to reinforce the stereotype. Here is a list of what the other waiters used to say to me over and over, not my personal opinion:

Blacks = bad, demand lots of service, want to be treated like the master for a change.

Asians = bad, big time hogs, researching every option, no clue other people in the restaurant waiting.

Women = bad, expect perfection for 10 percent. Pissy they have to pay for their own meal in the first place.

Europeans = 0.00, play dumb, waiters in their countries make good salaries not minimum wage.

Christians = worst, I will prey for you card.

Best Best tippers were usually men on a date or business lunch because they are trying to impress people with their success and generosity. Usually 30%. Women never tried to impress, only tear down, even during business. Vagina in Power Syndrome.

Exceptions Only women that tipped well were ones that worked as servers, or similar profession. Working actors and actresses also tipped very well usually.

Gay Men Older gays used to tip well, because they wanted straight people and businesses to like them. Younger gays tip shit and very fussy because life is all about them.

Lesbians They tip like straight women, looking for that one flaw as the excuse for 10 percent, but act like dudes barging about it.

America National Standards: 10% usually means you are very unhappy, 15% usually means all was ok, 18% for good, 20% for excellent, 25% for outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 11002/03/2013

So here's a funny story: when I travel on business, I don't like to put the tip on the company credit card because I don't feel right about it. The food, sure, that's a business expense, but the service I (and my party) receive is personal. So, what I usually do is zero-out the tip line, and leave cash with the check.

Now, one time, I took a colleague to lunch, the bill came to about $50, and I left the waiter $20 because she had been very attentive, pleasant, and worth it. We stayed for a little while longer than normal discussing a problem in the office, so I felt it was fair. Well, cut to us leaving and literally driving out of the parking lot, when the manager came and flagged us down and asked what the problem was. "With what?" was my reply. He said I didn't leave a tip!

My colleague spoke up and said I'd left $20 because I was flabbergasted at this asshole's behavior and didn't know what to say. The manager proceeded to argue the point, waving the receipt in my face. So, I calmly took the check and ripped it up and told him I'd never be back, adding that lunch was on him because without a signed receipt, the charge would be denied (and it was, I made sure).

So, having never gone back to that fine establishment, what I wonder is, did the waiter intentionally not tell the manager I'd left $20, did the manager just assume, and when did it become acceptable for restaurant personnel to chase after patrons leaving in their cars?

by Anonymousreply 11202/03/2013

r112, your colleague probably pocketed the 20.

by Anonymousreply 11302/03/2013

When you leave a cash tip, you're supposed to write "Cash" in the tip line rather than zero-ing out.

by Anonymousreply 11402/03/2013

[R112] More likely that the restaurant had a tip share arrangement, the waitress pocketed the $20, and the manager was trying to call her on it.

by Anonymousreply 11502/03/2013

R112, I had the same happen to me. The owner wasn't rude, but he asked about the service. My friend and I split the bill including the tip. I put that total on my cc, my didn't enter anything on the tip line, because I had already accounted for it.

I was pissed and explained what happened. To his credit, he apologized and said that he never should have done that. Still left a bad taste on what was a nice evening.

by Anonymousreply 11602/03/2013

I try to hand the server my tip as people do steal tips off of tables. But it looks like I did not leave a tip to other patrons, the bus people, and management.

Eating out has become somewhat traumatic to me now and I rarely ever do it. I just don't know what's in my food, hate to deal with rude staff, noisy , inconsiderate patrons, and valet parking.

I also have learned the value of home cooking. Home cooking is a beautiful thing and I know exactly what's in my food. I used to be a real fatty too, so eating out has little value in my physical upkeep.

Nowdays when I am with a friend I suggest we eat at one another's home or get something from the deli at the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 11702/03/2013

I've heard roughly the same from friends who work as waiters, [R110]. As you said, also not my own personal opinion, mainly because I don't have enough experience in the industry myself to have formed one.

by Anonymousreply 11802/03/2013

It was asserted that R97 was funny. The stereotypes may be accurate, but the video was far from funny. Painful to watch in its execution, really.

by Anonymousreply 11902/03/2013

Churches are businesses and deserve no more special treatment than Target or KFC, regarding taxation or anything else. And before someone brings up the ones that do charitable work, most organized charities aren't much better. Often (not always) most of the money received goes towards salaries, with the majority of that going to the fat cat at the top.

by Anonymousreply 12002/03/2013

How long is it ok to linger after you've paid the bill at a restaurant? I've been out with people who like to hang out and talk for what seems like forever at the table after we've paid. I think that's rude to the restaurant and servers.

by Anonymousreply 12102/03/2013 Dan Smith is the man behind the decision to fire Chelsea Welch. Please help me in flooding his email with comments.

by Anonymousreply 12202/03/2013

Is it true that you're supposed to leave the tip in cash if you pay with a credit card so the server won't have to report the tip on her taxes?

by Anonymousreply 12302/03/2013

Thanks R114, I didn't know that. I'll do it in the future, for sure.

I doubt my colleague pocketed the $20, R113. Not his style, and I don't recall specifically, but I usually step aside for my guests to walk in front of me and I think I would have noticed.

So, as R115 says, the waiter lied? I can't imagine lying over sharing tips, especially for such a small amount, but I know people do it all the time. And who knows what internal politics were going on.

I just felt that the manager's reaction was so over-the-top, even for a garden-variety corporate chain restaurant. I was quite shocked.

by Anonymousreply 12402/03/2013

[quote] Is it true that you're supposed to leave the tip in cash if you pay with a credit card so the server won't have to report the tip on her taxes?

Servers are taxed on a certain percentage of their tips automatically, whether you leave cash or put it on a card.

by Anonymousreply 12502/03/2013

I suspect that the best tippers are older gay men when the waiter is fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 12602/03/2013

I wait tables. To answer a few questions: Servers get taxed on 15% of what they sell, so it doesn't really matter that much if you leave a cash or a charge tip. Some restaurants, however, don't let the waiters walk out with cash; they give them a check every other week with their tips on it, so, in that rare instance, cash is better so the waiter at least has a few extra bucks in his pocket until he gets his check. Complaining to a patron about a tip is a cardinal sin. You. Just. Don't. Do. It. I've been waiting tables for 7 years, and I've only seen it happen twice, and both of those waiters got fired on the spot. And: as far as lingering, there are a lot of different guidelines. If it's late at night, be considerate and think that your waiter has to wait for you to leave before he goes home. If it's a busy night, be considerate and realize your waiter is losing money because his table hasn't been resat. If it's early, though, and the restaurant isn't full, by all means sit as long as you like. We're glad you're there. If you do stay past your time, though, leave a few extra bucks. Just the other night, I had a table stay a little longer than they should, and he gave me a $20 and an apology. He had already tipped me $60, which was more than a good tip for what he spent, and he wasn't demanding, so i didn't mind him overstaying. I tried to give the extra money back, but he wouldn't take it. You better believe he will get the best service he's ever had next time he comes in.

by Anonymousreply 12702/03/2013

In the hair care business. The worst tippers are in fact Indians. They often do not tip at all. Have lots of hair and are very demanding about service. Ours is a walk-in salon. All the stylists conveniently dive for the bathroom or out for a smoke break if an Indian family walks in.

by Anonymousreply 12902/03/2013

Now this is funny!

by Anonymousreply 13002/03/2013

No love for the pastor but the culture of compulsory tipping in the US is as rabid as the right-wingers.

by Anonymousreply 13302/17/2014

I don't like the shared tips policy. Where's the incentive for providing good service, if you know you'll only get some of what your patrons have left?Is there a way around this system? I'd like my server who provided the good service, to get all the tip. I eat out frequently, and I always ask for specific servers when I do. People who I know will provide good/outstanding and pleasant service. Why are these people paid so little, and taxed on gratuities that may not actually exist? It's not right.

by Anonymousreply 13402/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!