Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oh, my goodness...is that really Michael York of Cabaret fame at the anniversary party?

I know people age, but this sort of transformation I've never seen before.

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2013

He's clearly ill. The lenses do him no favors either though.

Cabaret's one film I'd like to see remade. I absolutely adore the movie, but the stage musical is so very different that a film of it could be great. Liza's too defensive about the idea of another movie.

by Anonymousreply 101/31/2013

Something's wrong-- the huge amber lenses are clearly there to hide his eyes, which look puffy and swollen--it's like he's just come out of failed plastic surgery or something.

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

Me too R1.. there had been talk of a TV version but nothing came of it. I loved the original production. As much as i liked the movie and felt it was brilliant, I miss the cut songs and the Fraulien Schneider/ Herr Schultz story.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

R2 he has a form of cancer and takes steroids.

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

He's looked that way for quite a while, I'm really not sure what the deal is. It may just be age. He's only 70 though.

Isn't that Cabaret reunion from last year?

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

If you ever get a chance, watch "Something For Everyone" Michael York and Angela Lansbury. 1970 in a black comedy with a fairy tale ending!

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

I wondered about that as well, R5. The screening at the Zigfeld is tonight at 7 PM. And Liza will be there....

we think!

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

Multiple myeloma is cancer of the bone

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

Joel Gray still looks like a cherub, but a very old one.

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

I think he may be ill. Of course it was a while ago, but I once saw him in, I think, the late 90s at the Metropolitan Opera. He looked amazing then, much sexier - tall, dashing, commanding, grown up, manly, and still very beautiful - than he did at the height of his career.

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

Sure looks like it could be steroids. Marissa Berensen look great!

by Anonymousreply 1101/31/2013

What's up with Liza's moush?

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

The screening hasn't happened yet, it's tonight at The Ziegfeld, so why does the article make it sound as it happened already? I have tickets, and can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

Joel Grey looks like a happy old man. I'd still invite him to my parties.

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

Those pictures were a devastating shock. I have always found Michael York one of the most appealing men in the film industry. For me, he had that special magic that always made me more pleased for having seen him. I sincerely hope he recovers from whatever form of cancer he may have. His loss would sadden me very much. I'm tempted to drive over to the Zeigfield this evening just to possibly see him.

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

[quote] I'm tempted to drive over to the Zeigfield this evening just to possibly see him.

R15 = Michael Biehn.

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

Ogawd, OP. I can't unsee that.

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

There's already a thread on this from the Today show appearance. Someone said he has multiple myeloma, which means he's getting steroid treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

You Bitches are cold. Give him some credit for having the balls to appear at a very public function looking like that. I don't know if I could do it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

[quote]You Bitches are cold. Give him some credit for having the balls to appear at a very public function looking like that. I don't know if I could do it.

Well, first of all, why should he necessarily appear in public since he's very ill?

Second of all, most of had no idea why he looked like that.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

Jesus!

Never would have thought that Joel Grey would be better looking than Michael York.

Life. Sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

r20, why shouldn't he appear in public? He has cancer, it's not like he's out spreading the flu.

According to what I've read, multiple myeloma is awful. Depending on when he was diagnosed, he has, at best, 5 to 7 years.

But York has always struck me as a positive, grounded person, so he probably doesn't give a shit about how he looks. Always one of the most pleasant and likable stars. Indeed, my earliest cinema memories star Michael York: Cabaret, The Three/Four Musketeers, Zeppelin, Murder on the Orient Express, Logan's Run.

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

He still looked good about seven or eight years ago on Law & Order Criminal Intent.

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

DL = once again, shocked by the process of ageing!

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

[quote]My god, his mouth looks like chapped asshole.

Probably a side effect of chemotherapy.

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

Maybe he has had a bone marrow transplant and is on steroids to prevent rejection

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

[quote]DL = once again, shocked by the process of ageing!

oh, Dear!

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

Wasn't Michael York in the Austin Power films? Those weren't THAT long ago, and he looked great in them. He must be sick, as others have said.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

You can go to Google Images and find pix of him that look perfectly good and youthful for his age as recently as 4 years ago, maybe even 3. This is clearly steroid-related. And he's lost hair, probably from chemotherapy. Obviously some kind of cancer; hope for his sake it's not multiple myeloma--incurable, and long-term survival rates apparently aren't good for someone his age. I certainly wish him well. He was a good actor and seems like a nice man when I've seen him interviewed.

Good for him for living his life to the fullest for as long as he can!

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

My ex-boss died very soon after getting a diagnosis of multiple myeloma. Like, shockingly fast.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

I adored Michael York when I was younger. I had forgotten how beautiful he was back in the day.

Hang in there, Michael!

by Anonymousreply 3202/01/2013

That's not York. Mickey Rooney thought it was a reunion for "Breakfast at TIffany's".

by Anonymousreply 3302/01/2013

He doesn't look quite as bad here, from April...

by Anonymousreply 3402/01/2013

Folks, whatever eye issue he has going on is NOT due to. This Multiple Myeloma. My bro-in-law had it for years (and passed away from complications related to it, sadly) and he never looked like that... Even on steroids! It looks to me, as a medical professional, that he either a) had an eye lift or b) fell and hit his nose/forehead area, causing two black eyes. My guess is its the former, as his whole face is virtually unrecognizable. Sad, really...

by Anonymousreply 3502/01/2013

So sad. When I was a youngun, I developed a crush on him after seeing him in The Three Musketeers (1973). I always thought he had a beautifully odd face with those broad cheekbones and kind of wide nose.

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

Prednisone?

by Anonymousreply 3702/01/2013

[quote]Folks, whatever eye issue he has going on is NOT due to. This Multiple Myeloma. My bro-in-law had it for years (and passed away from complications related to it, sadly) and he never looked like that... Even on steroids! It looks to me, as a medical professional, that he either a) had an eye lift or b) fell and hit his nose/forehead area, causing two black eyes. My guess is its the former, as his whole face is virtually unrecognizable. Sad, really...

You are scary.

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

Google images indeed show stages in York's changing appearance. Some of the comments on the 'Mail' story are beyond callous, but then the paper has done its work in fostering such attitudes. It's very much a house style.

Kudos to York for getting out there. Long may he do so.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

Aren't they all gay?

by Anonymousreply 4002/01/2013

He was so sexy in SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE in a scene where he was wearing shorts,. Strapping muscular legs.....

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

Joel Grey looks surprisingly healthy.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

Michael York is a lovely man. Hope a speedy recovery for him.

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

On Cabaret:

"Before the film, Liza Minnelli told the MC, Robert Osborne, that when she was cast as Sally Bowles, the producer asked her what she thought of the script.

She told the guy that she felt the Michael York character "should be gay"--or technically, bi--"so that opens up all sorts of emotions that couldn't have been there in the play. We were taking chances all over the place"

The producer agreed. Bob Fosse agreed. And so the character liked boys."

Wasn't the character made bi because of the novels and Isherwood's own life? Is this more Liza hyperbole?

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

Yes it is R44. Just like her statement that she was cast as Sally before Fosse got the director's job. No director would take on a film knowing a relative unknown had already been cast in the lead role. And indeed, Fosse actually chose her for the role over the studio's choice: Susannah York. In all the iterations of the story (Isherwood story, original straight play and film of that play, then Cabaret as a stage musical) Sally was always an English girl, until the film of Cabaret when Liza did it. Even when Julie Harris played Sally in the stage and screen versions of "I Am A Camera", she did it with an English accent.

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

Does Lara Flynn Boyle have the same disease as Michael York?

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

Mein gott, didt you zee zie lipzt on Michael? Zhey lookt lik ein chappt azhohl!

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

I sat 2 seats down from him a few years ago at Billy Elliot and he looked really good. Last year watching a TCM promo for whatever, they showed a short clip of ths Cabaret cast at a photo op and I could clearly see that he looked pudgy and old. I knew something had to be wrong.

I wish him the best as he's one of my faves and loved him in Three Musketeers all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

It's odd, it's not like he has just aged but he doesn't look like himself anymore. I wouldn't have recognized him not knowing who that is on the photo.

by Anonymousreply 4902/02/2013

Poor Michael. He was always a favorite of mine. That voice! And he and his long-time wife (an accomplished photographer) seem very sweet together.

by Anonymousreply 5002/02/2013

Something For Everyone trailer

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.