Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ronald Reagan's Childhood Home to be Torn Down and Replaced by Potential New Site of Obama Library

Jan 30, 2013

President Ronald Reagan’s childhood home in Chicago is scheduled to be demolished. The University of Chicago recently purchased the property and announced that it intends to turn the property into a parking lot. According to a report in The Washington Times, that plot could soon be the parking lot for the future site of President Barack Obama’s presidential library.

“Whatever you think of Reagan — once the building’s gone, it’s gone forever,” Hyde Park Historical society board member Jack Spicer told the U.K Daily Mail.

Their report speculates that political motives may be behind the University of Chicago’s decision to raze the apartment building which housed the nation’s 40th president in his youth.

Some have said that the liberal Chicago establishment does not want a reminder that Reagan, a conservative icon, once lived in the city.

Its current mayor, Rahm Emmanuel, was the White House Chief of Staff during Obama’s first term. The school has been lobbying the White House to become the site of Obama’s presidential library after he leaves office in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2013

OP = yet another right-wing troll.

"Some have said that..." - yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 101/31/2013

Wow, all this time I thought Reagan was born & raised in California. Reagan is from Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

I wish we could tear down all the harm that pawn for the corporations and military did the the USA.

Good riddance, rip out any memory of that awful president.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

1. It's an abandoned apartment building. He lived there less than one year.

2. It's been proposed and rejected for landmark status before.

3. The U of C has been planning this for years.

4. It's not part of Obama's anything, since he hasn't even announced what State his library will be located in, much less that it will be at the U of C.

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

I think Obama's library should be in Hawaii. Besides honoring a particular president, these libraries sponsor all sorts of great educational programs.

I guess it comes down to where O wants to be buried...

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

Let's tear down Ronald Reagan National Airport as well. Why does that spawn of Satan even have an airport named after him? Do people not remember how he fired those 11,000 air traffic controllers just because they went on strike? That mass firing slowed commercial air travel significantly for months afterword. God, sometimes I wish John Hinckley Jr.'s attempt succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

If only all the remnants of Reagan could be torn down...

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

[quote]“Whatever you think of Reagan — once the building’s gone, it’s gone forever,” Hyde Park Historical society board member Jack Spicer told the U.K Daily Mail.

That's fucking deep!

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

[quote]Do people not remember how he fired those 11,000 air traffic controllers just because they went on strike? That mass firing slowed commercial air travel significantly for months afterword.

That was what made the airport name change so shocking...

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

Reagan was almost worse than W.

by Anonymousreply 1101/31/2013

RR was born, raised, and went to college in downstate Illinois. I've never heard that he lived in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

See link at the bottom of the story:[italic] "h/t The U.K. Daily Mail"[/italic]

In other words, BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

Reagan was actually raised in Dixon, which is about 100 or 150 miles due west of Chicago (so not technically downstate).

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

The idiots on Fox and Friends seemed very down about it, this morning.

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

OP is either a Freeper or naive or incredibly stupid (I know, what's the difference?)

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

That's gonna be one hell of a Poltergeist story.

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

He lived there for less then one year when he was 3! He didn't even know the address, when asked about it in the 80's.

They had to look up old police reports of RR's father's drunken arrests to get the address.

Fox and the rest of them will latch on to ANYTHING that they think makes Obama look bad, even if they are making up 90% of the story.

Obama has not said where his library is going to be.

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

Dear r19, please check the thread title, it's about that heinous prop, Reagan. Who, by the way, paved the road to the signings of the shit policies you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 2002/01/2013

Is the Washington Times even very credible?

by Anonymousreply 2102/01/2013

Anything connected with Ronnie should be torn down and the ground strewn with salt.

by Anonymousreply 2202/01/2013

If anyone really wants a monument to him there, let somebody build a Ronald Reagan Memorial Abortion Clinic.

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

[quote]Let's tear down Ronald Reagan National Airport as well.

The airport is needed, just change the name.

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

It's a great airport, now tainted with an unnecessary new name.

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

No, r21. and this story has already been debunked/

by Anonymousreply 2602/01/2013

I really don't care that Reagan lived at that address in 1915 but it saddens me that the UC got the go ahead from the city's surely corrupt Landmark Commission to raze a block of architecturally significant 1890s apartment buildings (for the umpteenth time) that incidentally provide a contrasting juxtaposition against a newly constructed boring glass box hospital directly across the street. I noticed (on google maps) that there are plenty of other bland boxy mid-rise buildings that dominate the area too. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

I loathed Reagan, but I don't begrudge him the airport naming. Like it or not, he did govern the nation for eight years, and most other presidents of both parties have things like airports named after them.

If you ask for his name be removed from the airport then you know damned well conservatives will inevitably ask that the names of JFK International Airport in NYC and Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport in Little Rock, AR be removed as well. This pattern of tit-for-tat just keeps on going if we begrudge former presidents these petty deals like airport names.

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

[quote]JFK International Airport

That's Idylwild

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

[quote]That's Idylwild

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3002/01/2013

Let's rename Reagan airport to Clinton airport. It's kinda like when the USSR came to its senses eliminated references to Stalin. We need to stop glorifying our dark past.

by Anonymousreply 3102/01/2013

R27. I don't think there is a landmarks preservation committee anywhere that would consider those apts architecturally important. Their only significance would be as a reminder of what the area had once been. The facades could be incorporated into a glass box monstrosity, but I doubt that would happen.

by Anonymousreply 3202/01/2013

As I said, I hated Reagan; but he was certainly not Stalin. Don't exaggerate.

by Anonymousreply 3302/01/2013

He was born in Tampico, north of Moline, Illinois. He grew up in Dixon, and his time in Chicago was very short. Sounds like some kind of freeper nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3402/01/2013

Reagan lived in the building for only one year.

It is not a significant historic place.

And Obama's library may not even be built nearby.

by Anonymousreply 3502/01/2013

[quote] Is the Washington Times even very credible?

It is (or was until recently) owned and run by the Moonies. It's a right-wing rag.

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

[quote]“Whatever you think of Reagan — once the building’s gone, it’s gone forever,” Hyde Park Historical society board member Jack Spicer told the U.K Daily Mail.

Typical Hyde Park bullshit. They have a love/hate relationship with the University of Chicago (mostly hate), so anything the U of C wants to do they're automatically against it.

If a developer bought the building and wanted to put up a historical marker talking about Reagan, these same fucks would be picketing in protest.

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

1. This did not happen, OP.

2. Reagan grew up in Tampico & Dixon, Illinois. He was barely in Chicago long enough to have a bowel movement there.

Why is Karl Rove STILL posting lies on Data Lounge? He sure must like it here!

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

Jack Spicer is the biggest pain in the ass. I should have known he was part of this bullshit story.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

The Wash Times is making up conspiracy stories.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

as they often do

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!