Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does Anyone Actually Enjoy Anderson's Daytime Show?

I'm not really familiar with the first season that much, but I'm referring to Anderson Live!. I actually enjoy it. I've seen those other daytime shows, some thanks to "The Soup," and I think Wendy Williams is pretty funny. It's not meant to be serious. Kelly Ripa has some nice interviews. All the other ones though are horrible. Ricki Lake's new one is an abomination. Too many of those types of talk shows. They're all obviously vying to be the next Oprah.

Aside from asking if anyone like's Anderson's show, what's the difference between the morning shows like Kelly's and the shows like Jeremy Kyle, Springer, where they bring on people to air out their dirty laundry? Are they classified differently under the talk show umbrella?

Hope this topic doesn't bore too many people. :)

by Anonymousreply 4302/04/2013

Anderson never connected with me. He should have taken Regis' place with Kelly. The 2 of them had chemistry. On his own, AC just doesn't have it. His night time show is much better. I just think daytime is just not his element.

I was surprised to see today that Katie's new show has been picked up for a 2nd year. She's another one out of her element.

Ellen, OTOH, is in her element during her show.

by Anonymousreply 101/31/2013

I've never seen it, but my 70-year-old mom loooooooves it ... and him.

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

Anderson can be pretty funny on his daytime talk show, which allows him to inject more of his personality than in his nighttime news program. I enjoyed watching both shows for different reasons. He has had good chemistry with some of his co-hosts, which have brought out some his dirty sense of humor at times.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

He isn't funny. He isn't witty. He is barely charming. Seriously. Watch him and see if and when ever literally says anything funny, witty, charming, entertaining or insightful. His cred is as a reporter. I cannot for the life of me (and I do think he is cute and probably pretty nice) understand why he is supposed to be INTERESTING or watchable as a talk show host! I mean, just because he WANTED one and is rich and famous and money talks? Jack Paar, Steve Allen and Johnny Carson are rolling in their graves. I wonder what Dick Cavett thinks, if he even knows that Cooper has a show?

There were women back in the day who knew how to do it right, as well. Virginia Graham, for instance, was hilarious. And Cincinnati, Ohio had Ruth Lyons, an amazing woman.

My question is, what does Anderson Cooper bring to the table?

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

I respectfully disagree, r4. I think Anderson is actually pretty witty and has a great sense of humor, and compared to the current crop of talk show hosts (bland Katie Couric, boring Steve Probst, misguided Ricky Lake, lame-ass Steve Harvey, etc...), he's in a class of his own.

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

I don't hate the guy but his broadcasting talents are very limited. He'd be perfect as a reality competition show host but the show would have to take itself seriously. Something like "Survivor" where he doesn't need to show much personality.

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

I like him much better since he came out. It's helped him, I think, doing a talk show where he has to be candid.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

I agree with OP, I love him even more since he came out, and I really like how open he is about being gay, especially on his talk show where he's always reminding his audience that he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

No one liked his show, the ratings proved it. Two seasons was enough for Nate and Coop.

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

He spent the whole first year of his talk show sitting in his glass closet. It kept him from being real and genuine. He couldn't show his real personality, which isn't much on its own. He needs a good co-host and that could easily be seen when he sat in for Regis.

During the first year, he had to work around any gay connection, carefully tip-toeing around a self-outing slip when any gay topic came up. People knew what he was doing and it proved to be a distraction. Had his show begun after he came out, he would have projected a more genuine image from the start.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

R5, with those pathetic choices, the bar is extremely low. If you actually think that Anderson Cooper is WITTY, you don't know what witty really means. Dorothy Parker must be spinning in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2013

My sister works on the show, which should make it more appealing to me. However, he doesn't always connect well with his guests and I'm not interested in many of his show's topics. Needless to say, I rarely watch his show. It's supposed to last until May, but local networks across the country are already starting to drop it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

It doesn't matter if anyone enjoys this piece of shit or not because after this season, it's OVAH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

I like it & am sad it's been cancelled. Although he tells the same stories over and over and over. How many times do we need to hear him talk about his contempt for bare feet on airplanes or how he hates pickles or how he hates seeing animals dressed up in people clothes.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

[quote]How many times do we need to hear him talk about his contempt for bare feet on airplanes or how he hates pickles or how he hates seeing animals dressed up in people clothes.

That's one of the reasons the show never caught on - he whines and whines all the time. Also, it seems like EVERYTHING has to be about him. Even when he has a guest, he'll try to find a way to make something they say revolve around him in some way.

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

I much prefer Jeff Probst, it comes on at the same time in my city on another network. I've really liked his recent episodes with Lisa Whelchel (I figure I can mention that since DL seems to like her now) and Yvette Nicole Brown.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

I find Ellen to be the most palatable host for my viewing tastes. I rarely watch talk shows all the way through anymore. But for Ellen I do even with all the people she has on that I don't care about.

I will admit I watch Wendy Williams every weekday for the Hot Topics segment. If I had a Nielsen box I would count as one view because I watch atleast 15 minutes out of one hour. Her Hot Topics segment is the first 17-20 minutes of the show. The reason I watch is because it's the only reliably entertaining thing on at that time. I would change if something better came along because of Wendy's character. Yes, I find her entertaining and kooky but at the same time she is manipulative, a flame-thrower, flakey and insincere.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2013

I'm also getting beyond tired of that "super-fan" black chick he has on incessantly. She was fun once...maybe twice...but now she's exhausting. Get her outta there.

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

Anderson comes off like a nerd on the show..."Ewwww, I don't like pickles"...."No, I've never seen a Judy Garland movie"..."I don't know how to put apps on my iPad".

He's such a twirp sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

Only the jobless and elderly people watch daytime TV.

by Anonymousreply 2002/02/2013

r20, I see a lot on the web, and considering the age of people on DL, "elderly" is not hurting anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

I watch the first 20 minutes of Wendy because I love the hot topics segment, however her interviews are scripted and don't have teeth. She's like Jay Leno, nothing groundbreaking or real is going to happen from a Wendy interview. Which makes me wonder why she doesn't get more A list guests, since she's not going to challenge them. Apparently she used to be a loose canon on the radio, but had to tone it down for TV.

Ricki's show sucks. She should have just done a new version of her old show, which was great.

Ellen is sanitized.

Katie seems fake.

Anderson's show is clearly a show without an identity, which is probably why it was cancelled.

Haven't seen Steve Harvey.

Kelly and Michael doesn't do it for me.

I will still watch Maury and Springer, if I'm home, just for the sheer insanity. Those shows are unapologetically trash, which is great.

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

[quote]Only the jobless and elderly people watch daytime TV.

Or people with DVR.

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

And yet here you are on DL...on an Anderson Show thread.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

I like him, but his talk show was so patronizing and pandering to his target audience of Moms that it's not surprising it didn't catch on with anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

I like Anderson Cooper but I don't like his show. The first season was ok. In the first season his set overlooked Columbus Circle which I thought really set his show apart from other shows. Even nighttime talk shows have fake backgrounds. I'm not sure who advised him to change the set in season 2 but it was bad advice.

You would think that at some point in season 2, this show would have found its identity but far from it and they took a step backward in S2. They copied every show out there. Ellen has dancing. Well let's discuss dancing and show clips from the warmup. The View has guest co-hosts. Well, let's have a guest co-host everyday! The View has hot topics. Let's have the first 15!

Anderson also repeats himself. He talks too much about himself and it's often the same stories - obsessed with a show, feet on a plane, hate vegetables, convinced he has the flu, etc, etc.

I'm starting to wonder why I like him at all. I think some of the bad lies in his producers.

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

I'd rather watch Michael Strahan over Anderson in the mornings. Yes, I have to put up with Michael getting stuck with that anorexic old Kelly but it's still worth it. I look for her fake ass to retire soon anyway. Anderson is just not as good in the morning as he is at night. Mornings are not his genre. Not saying he's terrible but I just don't like his am show.

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

I read that the set change was to cut expenses. Since the show was losing so much money, they wanted a cheaper studio.

When it comes to co-hosts, he desperately needs an interesting co-host with a strong on-air personality to pull him away from whining and constantly repeating himself. They should have gone the route of Mike Douglas with a co-host who stays on for a week. Anderson Cooper doesn't have what it takes to host a talk show on his own.

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

Steve Harvey show isn't bad.

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

I forgot to mention that it's annoying how they feel the need to get every guest a gift. Some of the gifts are terrible and it's awkward watching the guests fake enthusiasm over the gifts. A lot of the gifts have "Anderson Live" on them too. They gave the blond from Modern Family Anderson Live nipple covers. Um, ok.

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

Steve Harvey show is the worst. I hope it will be cancelled soon.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

I was hurrying off to work and caught the beginning of one episode last week. It sounded interesting, as they had lined-up about 5 provocative topics to discuss, and he had a co-host.

He should have come out before the show debuted, then followed the current format. Hindsight is 20/20...

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

I just think Anderson Cooper lacks the people skills and naturalness to be a good TV talk show host. He's incredibly uptight on screen. He is not a natural anchor, just a persistent one. All these years on and he's still tripping over his reads and his chats. He successfully became a celebrity and he did provide a bit of drama to keep him interesting and he does have lovely silver hair and his linked to an old family... after that he's not much better or worse than anybody else in the middle of the pack.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

In my opinion, Terence killed it. No one wants to see his face on TV and his constant inserting himself everyday is annoying as hell. He was brought in to make the show better a year ago October and it went down hill the moment he took over.

It takes a lot to pull off a good talk show including good Executive producers, producers and guest bookers. Anderson/Anderson Live appears to have none of that. When they do get a "star" on the show to promote a product, they are often given one short segment, while the weird TLC people or undercover alerts are given two. That's called a production problem. Also, I don't care to see audience members interact with the stars/guests. I want to hear from the stars/guests. It may be great for that one fan, but it doesn't make for a good viewer experience. I agree the gifts are tacky and no other show presents gift to guests on air, let alone tacky gifts.

I see now Terence has set up a Facebook and Twitter account for his dog and is promoting that on the Anderson Live website and Twitter account. Can we say attention whore?

While I enjoy Anderson's off-handed references to being gay and bringing on the gay teen that came out to his school, etc. I don't appreciate Terence queening out on a daily basis and trying to embarrass Anderson with all the references to him being gay.

I wish Anderson had done the talk show he first promoted before the season one premiere and I agree that he needed to come out and be willing to talk about his personal life, to be believable in daytime. Ellen doesn't talk about being a lesbian on a daily basis or talk about Portia every day, but she doesn't hide it either - and she brings up Portia and things they have done from time to time. Anderson could have followed her lead in that regard and been more believable, in my opinion.

There are several reasons the talk show failed and I for one will be glad to see it end, if for no other reason than Terence and that obnoxious super fan won't be showing up on my TV every day. I do enjoy Anderson or I wouldn't even be tempted to turn on his daytime show.

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

A new low for the talk show - now a dog is the star?

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

I agree that Anderson doesn't have the personality for interviewing. He does a lot of female-oriented topics but when a girl breaks down and cries he does a poor job of consoling them. He's no Oprah or Ellen. It's awkward to watch. I'm sure even Dr. Phil could do a better job with his guests.

I can see the producers telling him "people love you. You need to talk about yourself more. Give them something that they don't get on AC 360." Which is fine but they are overdoing it.

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2013

[quote]I can see the producers telling him "people love you. You need to talk about yourself more.

But, just like the first year in his glass closet, he's still holding out. He's still not genuine and the audience knows it. He can talk about his mother, his brother's death, his travels, the fact that he's gay, but he is unable to say the "Ben" word.

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2013

Well, it's February, how many more months of taping? will it play through the summer, reruns, or stop in May?

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2013

Never liieked Anderson. The talk show confirms why. A bland white piece of bread. He's quite slimy.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013

I tried to watch once or twice when I was homesick and it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe not so much his fault as I don't particularly care for the format. The only talk show I ever really liked, and I mean really, really liked, was Bonnie Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2013

Maybe Ben doesn't want him to say "the Ben word."

by Anonymousreply 4202/04/2013

You must be right R42. There's no other possible reason for him to never mention that he has any interest in any specific man. And notice, that when he has married guests, he never asks about a spouse.

by Anonymousreply 4302/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!