Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chuck Hagel has just entered the Senate hearing room

John Kerry's nomination is over, Chuck Hagel's is about to begin!

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 6602/02/2013

Ex. Sen. John Warner is in attendance. (Also known as one of Liz Taylor's exes!)

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

Ex. Sen. Sam Nunn also present.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

Senor Bibi is doing everything he can to stop this guy from getting confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

Fmr. Republican Senator John Warner speaking in support of Chuck Hagel.

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

Sen. Cruz and Sen. Inhofe are going to vote against confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

Carl Levin, committee chairman and kindly old shoemaker...

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

James Inhofe may actually be the biggest asshole in the entire Congress.

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

These Senators are more obsessed with Israel than Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

I would swear Jeff Sessions is illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

[quote]Hagel should be put on the record about his gays in the military stance though.

In his opening remarks, he said directly that as SoD he'd make sure DADT would be fully repealed and that LGBT spouses would get all the benefits they can receive with DOMA still law.

He also said that he supports women in combat.

If none of the other Senators ask him about DADT, Kirsten Gillibrand will.

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

Dreadful horror. If he takes over DoD, the next election will be systematically stolen from us.

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

TROLL r13!

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

Enough, R13

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

...Mark Udall got there first. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

LIVE FEED

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

Carl Levin is a Pro Labor, smart, tough politician with integrity. Also Jewish, but has never forgotten that he is an American citizen first. He is hardly a shoemaker.

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

Is this Kay Hagan (D-NC) speaking now?

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

He's a great guy. I just think with those half-moon spectacles perched on the edge of his nose, he looks like the village cobbler from a fairy tale.

Surely, there's a gay somewhere on Kay Hagan's staff that could convince her to do something different with her hair.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

[quote]Is this Kay Hagan (D-NC) speaking now?

It is she.

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

Kay Hagan is up for re-election in 2014. We have to give her credit for beating Elizabeth Dole in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2013

How long do these usually take?

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

Kerry's only took a couple of days, R23, but this one could drag on for longer since the Republicans are putting up more opposition

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

When they opened the hearing, Levin said that each Senator would get eight minutes, and there are 26 members. Kelly Ayotte from New Hampshire who goes next is the half-way point.

Then they're going to recess because there's a vote happening in the main chamber, then they're going to reconvene for a second round of questions.

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

Republicans hate one of their own. Hmm, guess why -- Obama #1, Israel #2.

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

[quote]Kelly Ayotte from New Hampshire who goes next is the half-way point.

Why is this idiot on the Armed Services Committee?

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

[quote]Why is this idiot on the Armed Services Committee?

She's one of three Republican women in the Senate, and it's pretty high profile assignment. Like I said earlier, she's a MENSA member compared to Jeff Sessions.

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

[quote]She's one of three Republican women

Four. I forgot about Susan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

I see Joe Manchin went to the George W Bush School of "Nuclear" Elocution.

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

Gillibrand 2016!

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

vp maybe

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

I love Gillibrand, and she loves us. She's also the REAL next Jackie O. That girl has NY style. Her British husband is adorable too.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

I can't decide who was the bigger bitch, Miss Lindsay Graham or Deb Fischer, who appeared to prepare for her remarks by sucking on a lemon.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2013

I thought it was remarkable statesmanship that US Senator Marco Rubio (R-Florida) showed: rushing to the cameras to say he'll vote no on Hagel, before the interviews are even completed.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2013

Rubio is unfortunately falling into the same tired, Republican't logic. None.

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2013

He doesn't need the interviews, R35, those who vote no are taking their orders from the leader of a foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2013

Most of this is just theater, anyway. I doubt any of the Republicans are going to change their votes based on what he's been saying. Graham and McCain in particular were just camera-whoring.

The only thing this might be doing is firming up some votes among the more left-leaning Democrats, who might have been uneasy about the women in combat and DADT.

Thad Cochrane has already said he's going to vote to confirm. Between Portman, Murkowski, and Collins, they've got enough for a cloture motion, even if neither of those three end up voting Aye.

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2013

The United States Senate, where legislation goes to die.

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2013

No r39, that would be the House.

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2013

I will only say that they recessed Hagel's hearing so that the members could vote on the debt ceiling bill. The debate on the bill started two hours ago, and they're only just now getting around to vote for final passage.

by Anonymousreply 4101/31/2013

After her bruising and historic write-in reelection, when the RNC threw her under the bus, I do have slightly higher hopes for Lisa Murkowski. I think she is finally free to vote her conscience sometimes, plus when Rachel Maddow interviewed her in 2010 she was quite sane and likable. I hope she votes yes.

by Anonymousreply 4201/31/2013

Murkowski strikes me as a pragmatist more than anything else. I think she's still a good Republican, but she also seems to understand better than most of her colleagues that she's there to govern, not just to obstruct.

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2013

Hagel was absolutely dreadful.

I'm almost embarrassed for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

R43, part of it may also be that Murkowski has sent a message to the Republican leadership that she is able to get elected on her own terms if she needs to. She got elected as a write-in candidate in 2010 over Palin's pick Joe Miller when she lost the Republican nomination.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

[quote]Knew it. These people are payed off.

No, the Republicans have been trying to turn Israel into a wedge issue. This is theater in that effort. Meanwhile, Democratic, pro-Israel senators will be voting to confirm.

Gasp! People are playing politics in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

I find John McCain and his girlfriend Lindsey Graham, to be utterly repulsive. They gross me out. McCain is a ratfucking piece of chit. Belligerent, unstable, vile. He's crazy. Graham isn't worth the time it takes to talk about him.

Having said that, Hagel will get appointed. I am more concerned with Kerry at State. I have a bad feeling about him. Maybe it's colored by his performance as a candidate, the way he drones on & on talking, saying nothing, until you could just smack the crap out of him.

I just believe Kerry lacks the energy, the stature, and the toughness of Hillary. I don't think anyone will be excited when this old rich white man with crooked teeth walks into the room.

by Anonymousreply 4702/01/2013

Kerry will do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

166 questions about Israel, 20 about Afghanistan, the longest war in the history of the US. Israel got more questions than any other subject. I can't frigging stand that country. Hell, I can't frigging stand that entire region!

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

Kerry wanted that post his entire life. He knows it inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

I saw Chuck Hagel about 6 or 8 years ago eating in Georgetown with his family. The man is adorable, and he just seemed like a good guy. I hope he gets in. I know he has said some stupid things in the past but the fact that the neo-cons don't want him must mean he is alright.

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

Several days ago, news people were saying "when Hagel is confirmed..." but I've heard several today say "if Hagel is convirmed..."

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

Oh, dear 2 me. That should be "if Hagel is confirmed..."

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

there was a guy on TV last night with a theory/explanation for the Republicans behavior: Hagel's appointment will be an END to meaningful neocon influence in things. They're over.

And by the way, wasn't John McCain supposed to be off this committee by now?

by Anonymousreply 5402/01/2013

And waste an opportunity to be snippy and rude in front of a camera?

by Anonymousreply 5502/01/2013

Guess what else: Hagel was anti-Bush!

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

Well, John Kerry, our chief diplomat, just did something I find unbecoming and certainly unchivalrous. He "confided" in a Boston Globe interview shortly after his confirmation, that the President offered him the post at least a week before Susan Rice announced she was not a candidate.

He also mentioned that the President asked him to keep quiet about it, "..and I did." he announced. At the very least that demonstrates a complete lack of judgement. It certainly makes Susan Rice look bad, as if she didn't have to confidence of the President in her current position. I'm sorry. I've never liked Kerry. His politics are fine, but he is just an ass.

by Anonymousreply 5702/01/2013

not really R56. Educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5802/01/2013

[quote]I'm sorry. I've never liked Kerry. His politics are fine, but he is just an ass.

Any man can marry one rich woman and get away with it. But a man who marries into money twice in a row reveals something non-admirable about his character.

by Anonymousreply 5902/02/2013

R60, one can be pleased to see the decline in influence of the Neo-Cons for many, many good reasons without it being an expression of anti-semitism.

by Anonymousreply 6102/02/2013

Can't stand him. And actually I really hate the Jew Haters here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6202/02/2013

I was stunned at the irrelevant questions hurled at Hagel. it amazed me to watch the incompetence of the Republicans and the complete shock of Hagel in so many WTF moments.

These hearings prove that the Republicans are even bigger tools than the Democratic side, which is really saying something.

by Anonymousreply 6302/02/2013

He could take a shit on his chair and still be confirmed. The Senate won't stop one of their own.

by Anonymousreply 6402/02/2013

Hitler would have loved the Neo-Cons, R62. In many ways they follow in his very footsteps.

by Anonymousreply 6502/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.