Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chris Culliver, 49ers Cornerback, Says Gay Players Not Welcome On NFL Team (AUDIO)

A player for the Super Bowl-bound San Francisco 49ers gave a controversial, anti-gay interview just days ahead of the NFL's championship game.

Speaking with shock jock Artie Lange, cornerback Chris Culliver said he's not OK with gay players in the NFL or on his team.

"I don't do the gay guys man," Culliver said, according to Yahoo. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

Culliver went on to say that gays would not be welcomed in the locker room, but if they remained closeted, he might be all right with them playing.

"Yeah, come out 10 years later," he said.

"How progressive!," Deadspin's Tom Ley quipped, noting that the "interview came to a hurried conclusion at that point."

The question of whether or not gay players would be accepted in professional sports has been in the news lately, as some media professionals speculated whether or not Notre Dame player Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend was a cover for his sexuality.

Te'o has since turned down the gay rumors, but the scandal re-opened the conversation about sexual orientation in the National Football League.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis said it's likely he played with gay players during his career, although none of them were fully out.

"Because [the sport] is so testosterone driven, it’d be really, really difficult for a gay player to really stand up and say, ‘Hey, I’m gay and an NFL football player,'" Bettis told HuffPost Live. "And you don't know how the teams are going to respond to that as well."

But at the same time, he said, as long as they perform well on the field, he wouldn't have a problem with openly gay teammates.

Another former NFL player, Wade Davis, told the Daily Beast that he personally knows of several gay players currently in the NFL, although none of them have come out due to a continuing stigma in the league.

Culliver's comments, meanwhile, contrast strongly with those of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, who has been an outspoken advocate for gay marriage and LGBT equality.

Ayanbadejo said he plans to use the Super Bowl as a platform to talk about same-sex marriage.

The 49ers will face off against the Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans on Sunday, Feb. 3. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. EST.

Update at 6:26pm ET on January 30: NBC Sports reports that the San Francisco 49ers responded to Culliver's comments with the following statement: “The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

Agree R1,that guy looks like he's smelling cookies and seeing rainbows.

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

He said this to "shock jock Artie Lange", as more than one media outlet has reported.

#1, WHEN did Artie Lange become a "shock jock and, #2, Didn't he used to work for Howard Stern?

Would love to hear from any of those Stern listeners to know what Stern had to say about that on his show today. Stern is notoriously jealous and I'm sure is going to hate the fact one of his has-beens is getting air play today.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

Already apologized.

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

closet queen

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

[quote]Already apologized.

We don't care. What he said against us was heart-felt. He was forced to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

From the link at R4:

When Culliver was asked if there were gay players in the NFL, he answered: "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."

He gives a statement about himself in response to a general question about the whole league. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

It's information, R6, whether you "care" or not.

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

[quote]Yeah, the guy dislikes gay people apparently. That isn't a crime. I'm free to refuse to buy tickets to see his team.. But I'm not gonna be so delicate that I faint over it.

Stand there while I get the grease and a match.

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

Please don't let him be black...

by Anonymousreply 1101/31/2013

Well, you equal the score, don't you, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

Don't show him this website!!! (Safe for work)

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

I always look at the person insulting me before I react. In this case, I simply can't be bothered. Football players aren't known for their intelligence, they are simply meat to be destroyed by the opposing team.

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

R3 - Artie has had a sports-oriented radio show for about a year now (which also airs on DirectTV). I think the writer used the term shock jock because of Artie's association with Howard and because of Artie's past (drugs, rehab, standup career).

Howard's show only airs Mon. to Wed., so he didn't even know about this controversy. Also, Howard ever hardly discusses Artie. Howard was really weirded out by Artie's suicide attempt and rarely even says his name. Plus, he'a a competitor now.

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

Chris Kluwe needs to put his foot up Chris Culliver's sorry ass--spikes and all! The bigger the homophobe, the deeper the closet....

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

He's obviously been hit too many times in the head.

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

I don't think Howard and Artie are friends anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

"America, you've become insanely pussified when this is making the rounds as a top news story."

ROFLMAO. You're the "pussified" just want to blindly accept prejudice instead of standing up to it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

Artie tried to kill himself via stabbing. He falls asleep in the middle of a conversation. He is obviously on the wagon. Howard threw him off the show a long while ago, firing him or something. Howard had enough. It wasn't a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

I appreciate these kind of comments in order to know who to root for or support. Culliver has his right to comment on anything he wants as I have the right to ignore him from now on.

Isn't it great when it's so easy to know who you like based on his opinion about gays and gay rights issues?

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

He'll end up bankrupt two years after he's out of the NFL..

shot at a club in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2013

I disagree with those who think things like this should just be ignored. Ignoring it means you're giving tacit support to the comments. It means you accept what he says, that gay men should stay closeted for 10 years while in the NFL.

There are gay men right now in the NFL who are closeted. Sooner or later a current player will come out and if you have people in leadership positions saying these kinds of comments are not acceptable and we believe in non discrimination, this will create the environment where that player will begin to feel it's OK to come out.

Passively sitting back saying whatever, free speech and so on accomplishes nothing. When someone says something stupid like this hit them hard back.

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

He's trailer park trash, who cares what he says?

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

Totally agree with R23. Couldn't have said it any better.

Hit back and hit hard and make them pay.

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

r23, there's support and there's lack of support. Active support of the ones you like will always outweigh the dissing and criticism of the ones you don't like. If you want to do both and have the time for it, be my guest, do it. However others may prefer to spend their time more efficiently and choose the one they feel has more impact.

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

I hope you're right r22.

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

"Chris Culliver: Why the NFL Must Suspend San Francisco 49er for His Anti-Gay Remarks" writes Michelangelo Signorile.

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver selfishly shot off his mouth yesterday, igniting a firestorm of controversy and creating a nightmare for his team and the National Football League as they head to the Super Bowl. For that alone the NFL should suspend him, his comments having put his entire team at the center of an unnecessary controversy as they're trying to focus on the game.

But for the horrendously bigoted, anti-gay content of his remarks, there is no question that Culliver must be suspended if the NFL is serious about its claims to be taking on homophobia in its ranks. Thanks to players like Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe and Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendan Ayanbadejo and their pro-gay advocacy, we're seeing a shift among NFL players, but the leadership needs to take strong stand against Culliver's kind of bigotry if that shift is to continue.

"I don't do the gay guys, man," Culliver told radio host Artie Lange. "I don't do that. No."

Asked whether there are any gay players on the 49ers, Culliver said, "Nah. We don't got no gay people on the team. You know, they gotta get up out of here if they do. Can't be with that sweet stuff."

Incredulous, Lange pointed out that gay players might be able to play well, too, but Culliver responded, "Nah. Nah. Can't be... can't... uh... be in the locker room."

(continued at link)

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

Why do football teams let their dumber members give interviews to shock jocks? Not good PR.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

John Aravosis at Americablog pointed out that the 49ers suspended running back Brandon Jacobs last month for making derogatory comments about his bosses.

Are the team bosses saying that they take it seriously when they themselves are insulted, but not when closeted gay players and gay fans are subjected to bigoted, offensive remarks from jackasses like Culliver?

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

Replace gay with 'Chinese', 'Jewish' or 'Muslim' and they'd be boycotts and he's be fired. Be a homophobe and gay fuckwits like R9 make excuses for him and allow the continued marginalization of gay people. Gay people are the only class where it is not only acceptable to discriminate again, but it is actively encouraged. Just say you're sorry, when your not, and all is forgotten and forgiven. We're such cowards we probably deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

If the NFL wanted to make sure a player never said something like this again, Culliver would suspended from playing in the Super Bowl. He would also not be paid and he would also be required to attend outreach programs or volunteer with gay charities and organizations. Of course this will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

If he's ever allowed to be interviewed again, the reporter needs to ask why he answered a question about gays in the NFL by talking about his own sexuality. That wasn't what was being asked of him. He sounds dumb enough to be thrown for a loop by such a question.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

It just sounded like he was referring to his own sexuality because he's stupid and inarticulate. He meant "do" to mean "associate with."

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2013

If there is no suspension, the message from the NFL to young people, amid continued reports of suicides by LGBT youth who experienced bullying, is that it's OK for sports players and everyone else to attack gays and demand that they stay closeted and live in shame.

If Culliver faces no repercussions, then the NFL's words about support and acceptance of gay athletes and fans are completely empty.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2013

He plays for...SAN FRANCISCO!

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2013

[quote]we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.

So.... he's Asian, right?

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2013

Go Ravens!

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2013

Wow, R9 is a complete fool.

With an attitude like that no civil rights gains would have ever been made.

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2013

If I lived in San Francisco, I guarantee I'd be picketing outside the 49ers office with a bunch of friends.

by Anonymousreply 4101/31/2013

he's so hot though hehe

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

Miss Culliver looks like a major queen. Let's review the following picture:

- limp wrist

- smizing (Tyra would be proud!)

- multiple pieces of jewelry

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

And check this one out ... love the thrust hip. Someone's been practicing to their En Vogue tapes!

The brightly coloured watch on each wrist, and the empty toilet paper roll complete the tableau.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

49ers may soon stop making any of their players talk.

The San Francisco 49ers were the first NFL team to make an “It Gets Better” video, yet two players who participated in it apparently suffered too many hits to the head as they deny ever making the PSA. Linebacker Ahmad Brooks and nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga were asked about the video after teammate Chris Culliver eloquently told radio host Artie Lange that his team “don’t got no gay players” and that “they gotta get up outta here if they do.”

Although they are literally two of the four 49ers to appear in it, Brooks and Sopoaga initially denied having a part in the team’s “It Gets Better” video. “I didn’t make any video,” Brooks told USA Today. “This is America and if someone wants to be gay, they can be gay. It’s their right. But I didn’t make any video.”

USA Today then told Brooks that not only had they seen the video, but they had seen him in the video, Brooks responded, “I don’t remember that. I think if I made a video, I’d remember it.”

And that’s when the reporter opened up the cash register and produced a receipt; Brooks was shown the PSA on an iPhone. “Oh, that,” he said. “It was an anti-bullying video, not a gay (rights) video.”

The USA Today reporter then pointed out that studies show the majority of bullying is based on a teen’s sexual identity, leading Brooks to contemplate for a second, or several. “I know that. I know that,” Brooks said. “Okay, you’re right and I’m wrong. Are you from one of those New York newspapers?”

Sopoaga was also incredulous over his inclusion in the video, even as teammate Will Tukuafu tried to jog his memory. “Yeah, you made that video, remember?” Tukuafu said. “No,” Sopoaga said. “I never went. And now someone is using my name.” Sopoaga was then shown the video, after which he asked, “What was that for?” When told it was to stop anti-gay bullying, Sopoaga responded, “Yeah, OK.” Asked if he would like to comment on the video, the always loquacious Sopoaga said, “No.”

So either the 49ers didn’t let their players know they were making a video supporting gay teens, or Brooks and Sopoaga are, how can we put this gently, idiots. We suspect it was probably both. Not like it matters now, since Dan Savage has pulled the 49ers’ video from the It Gets Better website in the wake of all their homophobic trash talk.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

Now players who were CLEARLY in an "It Gets Better" video are claiming they were never in the video.

Retro-active revisionist history homophobia?

Remember folks: Root for the Ravens to win on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!