Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mesmerizing voices

Are there voices that put you in a trance? Mr Rogers' still puts me to sleep, in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 6002/05/2013

Alan Rickman.

by Anonymousreply 201/31/2013

Sally Kellerman, Barbara Feldon, and yes, Mr. Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2013

Captain Kangaroo.

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2013

Michael Stipe and Jim James

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2013

Bob Ross.

by Anonymousreply 601/31/2013

I don't watch much of the trash on current TV, but on the old nostalgia shows that I watch I like Robert Horton's voice on "Emergency", and I like Rick Jason's voice on "Combat!". Christopher George had a great voice as did Hugh O'Brian. A lot of less attractive actors had good voices, but I don't remember them unless they were also beautiful. And if they are really good-looking but with an unappealing voice, like Tom Selleck, the voice doesn't matter to me much. My own voice is rich, deep, and very resonant if someone near Texarkana, Arkansas has a fetish for that and wants to get it on with me. But be warned that I have a face and body meant for radio.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2013

R6 nailed it

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

H. Jon Benjamin

Esther Hicks

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

Tom Selleck's voice, George Michael singing. Not a specific celeb, but sometimes chants (Gregorian, for ex.) will mesmerize me. But def. Selleck.

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2013

R10, that really surprises me. I don't remember ever watching a "Magnum PI" episode without jacking off at least once because of Tom Selleck's extremely good looks, not to mention his near nakedness on that show, but his voice has always sounded high and unsexy to me.

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2013

I have one. Spooky the impact is has sometimes, men and women.

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2013

Ted Cassidy, who played Lurch on THE ADDAMS FAMILY, was an enormous man with a deep, rich soothing voice.

by Anonymousreply 1401/31/2013

If you want soothing voices and relaxation, go to Youtube and search for ASMR videos. For some people (I am one of them) they trigger something in the brain that brings a soothing calm. Certains sounds and movements can do it--the sound of crayons hitting each other, or watching someone get their hair brushed, whispering while turning pages slowly, are examples.

Check it out and see if you are one of those people.

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2013

R12, his voice has changed over the years, or so it seems to me. In his Magnum years his voice would have done nothing for me. But, as he got older, his voice has gotten...I dunno... deeper? Older ( I don't know how else to word it)?

He has narrated some things (American Serengeti,for example) and I found it soothing. And definately different than his Magnum years.

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

Nice to see another one, R15! I have been part of the Youtube ASMR/whisper community for nearly 4 years now, and I cannot sleep or relax without them!

Bob Ross is clearly our patron saint :P

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

Ossie Davis

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

Jim Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

I used to watch certain scenes in movies over and over (like the brushing of the dinosaur bones at the beginning of Jurassic Park or that blonde girl in Halloween who was filing her nails in bed, Cary Grant shaving in North by Northwest) not realizing that there was a "thing" for that. Thank goodness I found the ASMR videos on YouTube. Who would've thought the sound of someone crinkling paper or shaving could be so soothing to some of us. I always loved Bob Ross' voice AND the sound of his paintbrush on the easel.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

Amy Grant has the most soothing singing and speaking she's just a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

US tennis player Ryan Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2013

Aaron Paul on Breaking Bad. Not deep, but with amazing timbre, and he knows how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

James Hetfield of Metallica (speaking voice)

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

Jeremy Irons

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

Sally Kellerman

Kathleen Turner

James Earl Jones

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

Asmr posters, could you pls. Post links to your favorite YouTube channels or videos. The few I clicked on I found really annoying and off putting. I am definitely asmr, but I'm not sure if those type of videos will work for me. I'm hoping they will though. It's a great way to fall asleep.

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

Recently listened to an audiobook narrated by the English actress Juliet Stevenson. I have always loved her as an actress, but her voice is really balm to my ears as well. (The book was "Sweet Tooth" by Ian McEwan, but she has narrated quite a few apparently.)

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

Surprised to realize that my answer is Ellen Degeneres. I find her voice to be perfect: calming, playful, middle range. Something lovely about her voice. When I listened to some of her old stand-up routines, I remember thinking that half of her success is how much command of her voice she has.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

There's a news anchor here in Chicago named Larry Potash who has the deepest, sexiest voice EVER.

Love listening to him.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

Mary Hart's voice always blew my mind.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

That's funny R31, especially since the queen in the middle couldn't keep his eyes off the bare legs.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

R1, yes, Shohreh Aghdashloo.

Also, Seth McFarlane. This is the first oscars I'm going to watch in years.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2013

Yes, can we talk about ASMR. I never knew there was a name for it until about a year ago. I kept wondering why certain scenes in movies would relax me. One in particular is in the original La Femme Nikita. Towards the end of the movie where she is called to act as a room service waitress and deliver a tray to a hotel room. There is a scene where they are preparing the tray. All the clinking glasses and jars being opened just sort of relaxes me.

Very strange, no?

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

Not really strange at all...I think every person, if they think hard enough, can remember times in school when the teacher was just droning on and on, or a friend was talking to you about something, and suddenly your head just started tingling and you sort of zoned out for a while (usually at the worst possible time, like right before you were called on to answer something, and then you're all like "Huh? What?")

That tingling feeling has proven to be a better sleep aid than all the Benadryl I've ever taken (and when I discovered my first whisper/sleep video on YT, I was taking 3 a night just to get to sleep by 2am).

by Anonymousreply 3702/01/2013

Ernie Anderson, the guy who did most of the voiceovers for ABC in the '70s (the Movie of the Week, and bumpers and previews for ABC shows).

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

This is as good as any of the serious videos.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

Definitely Paul Winfield. City Confidential was never the same after he passed...he died 2 years to the day after his partner of 30 years, set designer and architect Charles Gillan Jr, died.

by Anonymousreply 4002/01/2013

Massage therapist Lita and Bob Ross combo clip--a killer for AMSR people.

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

"ASMR", I'm dyslexic too apparently.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

He is r17!

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

Though I don't think many will agree - Donnie Wahlberg. A bedroom-eyes voice.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

Mary Hart

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

George Michael on many of his songs, from the "Older" album.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

Fran Drescher, in a way. I usually pass out after gouging out my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4702/01/2013

R44, I like Donnie's voice, too.

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

Wai Lana the yogini.

Also loved Paul Winfield.

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

George Noory, one of the hosts of Coast To Coast AM.

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

Leonard Cohen speaking or singing.

Paul Winfield.

I love Jane Fonda's voice before it got age shaky. It has weight without being too deep, gravity without a rasp. Sexy without trying.

Oprah Winfrey's "broadcaster" voice is beautifully rich and modulated, lovely enunciation, not overdone.

Shelley Long has a pretty and musical speaking voice.

My bf's deep and french-tinged Island voice is mesmerizing too.....

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

Russell Crowe

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

R51, I had two boyfriends whose Long-tinged Island voices I found mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

Christian Bale.

When he's calm, he has a lovely English burr, softened by years in America.

by Anonymousreply 5402/01/2013

Benedict Cumberbatch has a gorgeous voice.

by Anonymousreply 5502/01/2013

Count me as another ASMR freak. I was astonished to learn there was a name for it, let alone that lots of people are affected by it. My favorite ASMR trigger is watching people get massages (not the happy ending kind - it's not a sexual thing) especially head or face massage.

If you're into those kinds of triggers, Baba is the king of Youtube ASMR. I've watched this video probably dozens of times and it never fails to give me the scalp tingle/trancey thing.

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

Leonard Cohen, and his wonderfully seductive monotone, with only small variation of breath and resonance is music to my ears when he speaks.

His voice is like wind in an alley or what I imagine the devil to sound like. Vulnerable, masculine, sure and soft. Coaxing.

I play music for a living and accompany many fine singers, so it is the spoken voice that most relaxes and transports me.

This is a bit of a performance, but it is just talk.....

LC, "A thousand kisses Deep."

by Anonymousreply 5702/01/2013

I like Kerry Washington's voice. Watch SCANDAL this Thursday and hear.

by Anonymousreply 5802/05/2013

Donald and Kiefer Sullivan both have nice voices.

by Anonymousreply 5902/05/2013

Susan Lucci

Michelle Pfie..

Phylicia Rashad

by Anonymousreply 6002/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!