Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's with Nessun Dorma and all the talent shows?

This is sung by every operatic singer the world over it seems on AGT, BGT, etc. Is it some kind of pinnacle of arias?

by opera newbiereply 1601/31/2013

It's a popular aria that demonstrates a tenor voice at its best, particularly the sustained B4, followed by the sustained A4 final note. It's meant to impress so the singer [italic]must[/italic] be at peak form.

by opera newbiereply 101/31/2013

If you haven't heard Aretha sing it, you need to. Talk about making it your own.

by opera newbiereply 201/31/2013

It is to the opera crowd as "God Bless the USA" is to the redneck crowd.

by opera newbiereply 301/31/2013

OMG Aretha! Chills!

by opera newbiereply 401/31/2013

Areatha, that was just...dreadful. Just cause the idiots in the audience clapped means zip. She'd be booed at the met.

by opera newbiereply 501/31/2013

[R5] Do you feel better now? Stick with the generally mediocre Met and your sensibilities won't be so offended. Listening was not mandatory. If you don't listen, no self serving snark possible.

by opera newbiereply 601/31/2013

It's the new 'Falling' (Alicia Keys song) which they all did for the first decade.

I personally don't watch white trash television but those who do get what they deserve by being forced to see the same drek over and over.

by opera newbiereply 701/31/2013

When Aretha did it live (was it Grammys or Oscars? I can't remember) people swooned over it because it was new and they were applauding more Aretha than her performance.

Musically she made an idiot of herself and it was just a mess. But fangurls like R6 and even the general public thought it was SO "artistic".

by opera newbiereply 801/31/2013

Aretha was graciously stepping in at literally the very last moment for Pavarotti, who was suddenly "ill". The reason her performace was so well received was that she had no prep time; she was winging it.

I hate Aretha Franklin, but she in context she was amazing that night.

by opera newbiereply 901/31/2013

Aretha...Oh my aching ears.

by opera newbiereply 1001/31/2013

[quote]I hate Aretha Franklin,

Of course you do, hon. Of course you do.

by opera newbiereply 1101/31/2013

I've sat in on a lot of auditions for students entering into top conservatories, and I've never heard anyone sing "Nessun dorma".

In fact, whenever a young singer (auditioning for a B.A., B.M., M.A., M.M, etc.) sings a well-known aria, it is almost never well-received. "Nessun dorma" would be a bad choice.

There are just too many opera arias to sing and too many people auditioning. You need to only show off your particular talent and ability, but also to set yourself apart. Generally speaking, the "greatest hits" of the opera world--the ones that general audiences love to hear--don't go over very well with professionals.

If you're going to sing something like "No word from Tom," "Song to the moon," "Figaro's aria" (from the Barber of Seville), or "O mio babbino caro," you better do a fucking AMAZING job.

I've been in auditions where--after the first phrase of the first aria (the first selection is usually the singer's choice)--the director knows they don't want the singer, but they usually ask for a second selection anyway to keep things fair and so as to not make the singer leave thinking that they sucked.

Sometimes in a really terrible audition, the director will notice an aria like those I've listed above on the singer's sheet and will request it for the second piece! Then, after the singer leaves, the director says to the rest of us, "Well, there. She got to sing the pretty aria for us. I'm sure that will make her happy."

by opera newbiereply 1201/31/2013

Opera is hard

by opera newbiereply 1301/31/2013

[quote] the generally mediocre Met

Um, wtf?

Pop singers on awards show are now brilliant, and the Met is mediocre? No, sweetie. Just no.

by opera newbiereply 1401/31/2013

Yes Aretha had no technique to sing that song. Her breathing is off and so her phrasing BUT she delivers a shockingly good performance for someone who is not an opera singer. Those who are criticizing her if you consider yourselves opera lovers or opera buffs and cannot appreciate that then you really ungracious and not as musically knowledgeable as you think you are.

For an R&B singer that was amazing.

by opera newbiereply 1501/31/2013

I'ts sung frequently because it's popular, and accessible. It's also short by the standards of arias, and pretty easy for an operatic aria.

There's no fast runs or difficult leaps, any schmoe with a bit of drama and a high A can do it.

by opera newbiereply 1601/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.