Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What does it feel like to be a white guy?

Just wondering. I've always held a deep-seated desire to be a white guy. I've often wondered what it feels like to be white to be exposed to white privilege. To all the posters who are going to post on this thread, please post serious answers.

My life's not so great at the moment and I find myself daydreaming about what it would feel like had I been a white guy and been in the same situation. I'd probably be a lot happier than I am now.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2013

Sex is better. Even when I can't find someone to screw I remember, hey, I'm white, then masturbate to my own image.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

to what ethnic group do you belong to?

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

Why, it's fabulous trolly-poley! What could be better or hotter than being a white guy like me?

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

I'm white and my partner (now husband) is Mexican. Since the beginning of our relationship he's told me about the indignities he faces: being followed in stores, spoken to rudely, taken for the help, etc. Racism that is covert and overt.

It was very difficult for me to accept the reality of his situation, not because I doubted it, but because the unfairness of it made me so angry and feel so helpless. I spent years telling him that if he adjusted his behavior, approached things a different way, etc., things might get better. It was because I wanted him to have control over the situation--becuase the other option, simply having the odds tilted against you for reasons you cannot change--was so horrifying.

I don't think I take my race for granted so much anymore, but I also think it's impossible to truly understand what it's like to be white if you're not and what it's like not to be white if you're note (and especially what it's like to be Black or American Indian, which is unfair on a completely different level, I'd imagine).

The funny thing is that I'm an RN (becoming and FNP), and for the first time in my life I am a minority. So I have the benefit of being a white guy plus the benefit of being a (relative) minority within my profession.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

If you're black, you'd have to adjust to a smaller dick. If you're Asian, you'd be trading up.

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

It's like good weather. You don't really appreciate it until it starts to get cold.

Whatever "the good things" about being white are, they are just too numerous to list. It's such a sad situation to define. All of them are small, but they add up to a hellaciously expensive price, born primarily by non whites.

There are so many evils that can't be undone. When we honestly admit to ourselves, we all only have one life to live, the scope of our white man-made tragedy is too wretched to comprehend.

The best way to become white in our society is to succeed. I wish you the very best.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

People think that I shouldn't have any problems because I'm a white guy person, but white guy people have problems, too!

I had to mount a rubber hand on a doorway so I could learn to high five.

I've had to learn how to dress so people don't confuse me for an ethnic - or a catholic.

I have to give up my seat for ANY piece of trash who wishes to sit down.

When there's a group decision to be made, everyone looks to me for wisdomy direction.

If there's an altercation, everyone wants my white guy version of events.

People don't even cross the street to avoid me, so I usually have to swear at my hat and allow snot to hang out of my nose so they don't greet me.

Women are upset when I fail to objectify them and they are upset when I criticize their footwear.

Small children and puppies automatically turn to me for comfort when they get upset.

God tells me to stop praying to her because she already made me white and I should be able to take care of everything with my white guyism.

I look fabulous with a tan, but tans give me cancer and age my skin like you wouldn't believe.

No matter how toned my body is right now, I will look like a lesbian if I hit my extended life expectancy of 87. Just look at the members of Led Zepplin (all of them look like my mom's bridge club ladies).

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

Here is an honest answer. The joy of white privilege is that you don't realize that you're getting special privilege. You don't understand why black people are always thinking about race and gay people are always thinking about their sexuality. You don't understand why if time travel existed, only straight white guys would get any real joy out of it.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

[quote] Since the beginning of our relationship he's told me about the indignities he faces: being followed in stores, spoken to rudely, taken for the help, etc. Racism that is covert and overt.

I didn't believe this as a kid/teenager, but I never had any black friends in HS. I went to college and had a black friend who was the son of the college's dean. We were shopping, with him driving the car, and we were pulled over. I was astonished at how hideously he was treated.

And in case there was any doubt, that experience, and many others, were reinforced when I dated a black guy. I was often in sweats and a hoodie, while my very handsome ex-bf was in shirt and tie, but I can't tell you how often he was treated awfully and I was treated wonderfully. It was one of the reasons he broke up with me, eventually, but it bugged both of us.

ANY kind of privilege sucks for the person not being privileged. And these stupid fuckers who talk about "straight pride" and "white pride" should be repeatedly slapped. Boo hoo, the world went from being 100% about you to only 70%! Horrors!

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

Once you get used to being exalted, there's no going back.

OP, from now on, when someone gets in my nose, I'm going remind them, "that's no way to treat a white guy!"

The special wave is very difficult. Queen Elizabeth does it best, but we all have to do it and eventually it leads to carpal tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

OP, how old are you? People only know what they are and therefore have no basis for comparison- besides, measuring yourself against others in general is self destructive behavior. You cannot be someone else because you are you for the rest of your life. Being a person of color and gay is probably not an advantage, but it is only a disadvantage in the long run if you make it so in 2913. Get help if you are distressed and good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

OP, do take comfort in one thing: white people age the WORST of anyone. I was in a meeting at work (halogen lights) and started looking around...holy shit, the white people looked like HELL (me included I'm sure) compared to everyone else.

Small comfort, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

R12, that seems naive. Denying that minorities have barriers that whites do not and that DO indeed harm them in the long run isn't the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

I am 41 and biracial...I used to wish that I was white when I was younger (into my 20s). I hated fighting with my nappy hair everyday. I hated my curves, and wanted to be 'white girl skinny'. I hated the fact that I was treated poorly at times, and discriminated against (I have been pulled over and interrogated more than once for no reason). I attended college, and now have a great job. I live in the suburbs. I now love the fact that I am a woman of color. My Caucasian friends my age are losing their hair, while mine remains thick. My dark olive skin is aging nicely, and I have learned to embrace my curves. At some point I figured out that it is a good thing to be 'different' and any struggles that I had have made me stronger. I still dont trust the police though. What exactly do you think would be so great about being white OP?

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

I agree with R9. You really don't feel like you are privileged until you are with someone who is treated differently for no reason other than they are not white. Something I never noticed until my minority partner pointed it out….when someone comes to the house for a service call, they address me. When we walk into a store, the salesperson will walk up to me and ask "can I help you". When we leave a credit card on the table to pay for a meal, they bring it to me to sign.

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

R16 And I think women of any race who are with a man are still treated that way. (I'm a white male, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

wrinkles and tinymeat!

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

My partner is white and that happens to us too, r16. A neighbor lady stopped by after we moved in and asked my partner if she golfs, and asked if she would be interested in joining a golf club with her. She didn't ask me, and acted like I wasn't even in the room. I guess she thinks that black people don't golf...? A salesperson visited recently, and asked to speak to 'the lady of the house'. When I told him that I am the homeowner, he got red faced and said that I look too young to own such a nice house. He obviously thought that I was a housekeeper or something. Some people are so full of shit. My partner and I laugh about it though...life is too short to get worked up about this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

As many others have noted, you totally take it for granted until you have some reason NOT to. I can never know what it is like to be black and straight people can never know what it is like to be gay (and discriminated against.) There is no way to compare.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

I never know if I'm being privileged or just being asked for a bigger tip.

Between the two of us, I'd not lose any sleep over it.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Working in a black part of the city, it's interesting to be the minority. The Polish and Latvians are viewed with suspicion by both blacks and whites. Anyone who is either openly gay or visibly disabled has no privileges, black or white.

White privilege certainly exists, but it's far more complex than such a simplistic dichotomy suggesting that life is automatically easier for a white person.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

[quote]White privilege certainly exists, but it's far more complex than such a simplistic dichotomy suggests. Of course, life is automatically easier for a white person.

There. Fixed that for you, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

The best part:

Jesus loves us. Ya"ll.... Not so much

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

There are a million things that white guys just never have to think about in normal everyday life that minorities do. White guys can be total dicks with impunity. White guys walk into each new situation as a blank slate, they come with no baggage, they aren't judged based on the actions of the previous white guy or a bunch of white guys. White guys never get nervous around the police. If there credit card is declined, it's a bank error and not a maxxed out card. And unless you deviate from typical white guy code (not knowing endless amounts of useless sports stats, pick up games of basketball, working out with the bros, dressing well but not over the top) then you are accepted everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

Freedom from fear.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

I have felt of a lot of men of every sort of ancestry, and I can tell you without fear of contradiction that they all feel the same. The fat ones are softer than the muscular ones, but "white guys" don't have any particular feel.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

What kind of world would this be if there weren't some group to aspire to?

I still say, if you have a big dick, it doesn't matter what color you are, there's a line of butt-bins waiting for your trash.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

[quote]they aren't judged based on the actions of the previous white guy or a bunch of white guys

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't treat people based on their race so I don't give any deference to white people at all. That could explain some strange encounters I've had with many white people. Perhaps they expect to treated with some sort of deference in relation to others and when they haven't they actually seem shocked and silently enraged.

It's kind of funny to think back on it. Never really gave it much thought.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

[quote]they aren't judged based on the actions of the previous white guy or a bunch of white guys

Unless they wear uniforms

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

It's exactly like this OP:

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

White guys don't *feel* privileged because in our minds, the way we are treated is the way everyone should be treated and we find it hard to believe that not everyone gets the same treatment. In our minds, racism is exceptional, the domain of crackpots like white supremacists or buffoons like Archie Bunker.

That said, while life may be easier, it's not necessarily easy, so we become defensive when someone says 'white privilege'... it implies that we are all born on yachts, the result of an excess of passion after too many Bloody Marys that time paPAH won the Polo match.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

OP you have to constantly be reminded of how much of a chip on their shoulders people like you have.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

I fucking hate the racist trolls on the DL.

Don't we know any gay hackers who can fuck them up?

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

uh oh. R35 made a bad boo boo. "people like you"

*hiding under a table*

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

Yup, it's true. You have to hang out with people enough to see what people go through if they're not white. I've been with a black woman, my age -- not young -- in a Rite Aid and she was questioned by the manager for shoplifting. It was horrifying. She's such a sweet lady. Of course she hadn't taken anything. I noticed that the manager accusing her was another race than she was (not white) and I've noticed that seems to be the case a lot of the time.

When I was a teen, I had a black friend staying with my family in an affluent village. We were waiting outside a house to pick up my stepmom in the car and the police came up and questioned us. I felt horrified again. My friend told me it happens a lot. Law abiding guys like him were paying for inner city crime statistics through profiling.

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

*roll eyes* Here is our regular "feel sorry for me because I'm not white/ please backhand white people" thread. White people are not looked at as blank slates among themselves or others.

Look at us not how others of our race look at us but as white people with different outer appearances. That's really what you want white people to do.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

R39, learn to write a coherent sentence and try again.

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2013

Like R5, it was when I was with someone of a different race did things really start to hit home. My boyfriend for 8 years was black and sometimes it was ridiculous. And no one thought we were together - even as friends.

I got worse treatment sometimes because of it - but nothing like my boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2013

This topic is one of the reasons some parent don't want their their children to intermarry. Life isn't all that easy being white, but when one is black, it's made much much harder and the resulting children are forced to bear the consequences of their parents marriage. It is rarely spoken about in mixed company, but it is a painful fact of life for those who had no choice.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2013

[quote]*roll eyes* Here is our regular "feel sorry for me because I'm not white/ please backhand white people" thread.

Oh, please, this thread was clearly started by some white troll hoping to provoke exactly the above response.

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2013

Someone needs to ban whoever is repeatedly creating these creepy white obsession threads, it's making me sick to my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 4401/31/2013

[quote]White guys don't *feel* privileged because in our minds, the way we are treated is the way everyone should be treated and we find it hard to believe that not everyone gets the same treatment.

Shouldn't everyone be treated with respect and dignity? Is this a privilege now?

by Anonymousreply 4501/31/2013

Who are you asking r45? Because if you are asking the person who wrote your quote, the answer is in the quote itself.

by Anonymousreply 4601/31/2013

op is most definitely a white race baiting troll

by Anonymousreply 4701/31/2013

出たよアジアンチンコ小さいwwとか お決まりすぎてつまらん

by Anonymousreply 4801/31/2013

I've noticed the problem is worse in large areas where white uneducated idiots are abundant. They'll turn their heads trying to stare at you if you're in a nice car, or give you jealous stares. You have to remind yourself that each person is different, but It's disturbing to me how a large number of white men think that they should be treated better for no reason whatsoever, its creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4901/31/2013

If you're black, you'd have to adjust to a smaller dick. If you're Asian, you'd be trading up.

バカすぎwwww

by Anonymousreply 5001/31/2013

Effei we all got pain.

by Anonymousreply 5101/31/2013

R4, Can you put me in touch with the friend you have posted? Where did you find the pic?

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2013

Iimagine a day when you were right every single time you did , said, or thought anything.

by Anonymousreply 5301/31/2013

It's like having a big dick. To you it's just normal, to strangers they go bat shit crazy, chase you around the party, call you several times a day, and would cheat on their boy friend in a minute if I said yes.

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2013

Hi Divesh.

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2013

Feels a lot better then being Asian.

by Anonymousreply 5601/31/2013

I'm white, and I dream about the same darn things!! Privilege? What privilege? Not for us darker skin whites,anyway.

Funny, the black kids in school who always did well in school inspired me. Just saying. They still do, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2013

I've been very aware of the good fortune I had being born white, American and male. Think of the odds. If one is a spiritual person (I'm not,) it would seem obligatory to make good use of that gift. Few do.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2013

You are delusional OP, why do you think just being white makes life any easier? There are lost of white guys that dont fit your fantasy, just watch an episode of Cops. That is real white folk are like. Half of us anyway.

Truth is, you are looking for an excuse as to why you are unhappy in life so you can blame it on some external outside force instead of yourself.

If you grew up white instead of whatever you are now, I guarantee you would still be just as miserable as you are now, posting some other reason to blame for it.

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2013

The grass always appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, learn to appreciate what you have, if you don't, no one else will either.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.