Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dealing WIth Job Burnout

Three months ago I would have told you that I loved my job.

Right now I'm at home for lunch since I had to get away from the office (5 minutes away) because I can't take it any more.

A few months ago I was given more job responsibilities that I am not enjoying. The new responsibilities were on top of the job I was doing.

For the past week I've been doing the work of a coworker who has been out sick with chicken pox.

My boss is getting pissed at me because I'm behind with the new stuff. A few weeks ago I was told I couldn't schedule 4 days off because nobody know how to do the stuff I've been doing.

I know I should be grateful that I have a job. Been here almost a year after being unemployed for almost 2 years, but I am getting seriously fried and know it's not going to end.

Any suggestions on dealing with job burnout?

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013

OP, I was in the same position as you last year, only on top of all the crazy work, my boss was an ASSHOLE, plus the job didn't even pay well. I was upset and stressed all day long, and even at home I couldn't completely relax because all I could think about was having to go back. Finally in December, my supervisor pissed me off for the final time and I literally said, "Fuck this shit!" and quit on the spot.

I'm currently looking for a new job, and while I may not have any money right now, at least I have my peace of mind. Some jobs just aren't even worth it. I don't regret my decision one bit.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

Plan a nice vacation.

Or quit.

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

What's the gay word for cubefrau?

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

At my last job, Early last year, I was doing the work of two people. My boss knew I was getting burnt out but couldn't do anything about it. Non-profit with budget reductions.

Never underestimate the value of your sanity.

For 30 minutes at home during lunch, look for a new job. At work, document what you are doing in emails to your boss; don't be snarky, just matter of fact.

Unless there is relief on the horizon, it is not going to get better. And hopefully you had chicken pox when you were young.

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

Our wonderful mailman is being hounded by his supes. He has 3-4 yrs to go before retirement. They want him to quit. Heard it's a common occurence amongst mailpersons.

As for your situation, confer with a job counselor. Document everything. Is your mental, physical, emotional health at risk? Together you can see if it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

Make a list of all projects/tasks you are supposed to be doing (including those you are covering for your co-worker) and prioritize. Make sure that you figure out how long each task will take to complete. Get your boss's buy-in for this prioritization.

Second, you need to figure out who should learn those parts of your job that no one else knows (or work with your boss to identify the person) and then start training them so you don't have to worry about not getting time off in the future.

It sounds like your boss is not good at organizing/delegation, so you are going to have to manage up. With both of the above suggestions, state them in a positive way (the company will benefit, you will be more productive/useful, etc.); make sure that the boss doesn't feel like you are blaming him for his ineffectiveness. And hang in there....how long can the chickenpox person be out? Hopefully not more than another week? Good luck!!

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

It's still better than being unemployed. Learn to cope while you are looking for another job.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

Thanks for the suggestions. I like R4s idea of spending some of my lunch time looking for a new job. Am home now for lunch and going to do that.

Pox chick is still out. Was told that she won't be back until next week. Showed the boss that based on his calculations that it's physically impossible for me to do even part of my job and Pox chick's job and have time for my new responsibilities. He gets it. He wants to hire a couple new people buy his boss won't let him.

Pox chick will come back and not miss a beat because all of her stuff is taken care of and it will take me a few weeks at least to get caught up with all the crap that's been dumped on me.

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2013

R4 here

Make sure that you leave the building every day at lunch, even if it is for 30 minutes.

Document everything that you did. Make sure it gets into your annual review, if you last that long there.

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.