Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sisters (Sela Ward) 1991-96

I was a big fan of Once & Again and discovered it years after the event, on DVD.

Sela Ward was especially good.

This has always made me curious about Sisters that she was also in.

How does it compare? Is it in the same league?

I'm not that keen on VERY female shows and the title make me slightly wary. I hated Gilmore Girls.

by Anonymousreply 10805/09/2015

[quote]I'm not that keen on VERY female shows

You sound like a real genius.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

[quote]You sound like a real genius.

Thanks. You sound...nice.

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

These are the scenes that won Sela Ward the Emmy for Sisters.

The last scene where she sits in the bleachers sealed the Emmy for her.

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

I'm with R1. You sound unintelligent which makes me not want to answer your questions about "Sisters".

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

I've never heard of Once and Again but I was a regular watcher of Sisters. It wasn't "The Sela Ward Show" since the storylines were fairly evenly split to feature the four leads. I remember her being very, very beautiful but not a sensational actress. Competent, though. She didn't embarrass herself.

Overall a quality show. The standout actor for me was Swoozie Kurz.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

[quote]You sound unintelligent which makes me not want to answer your questions about "Sisters".

But you thought you'd just post some snark instead. You also sound adorable. Bless your little cotton socks.

I wonder what you look like. Actually, don't tell me, I can guess.

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

My mom was a fan of this show. I remember cracking up at the eccentric husband of one of the sisters.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

R5 she did BEAT Swoozie for the Emmy that year.

Sisters was an intelligent soap about four sisters. It was a cross between Northern Exposure (quite quirky) and melodrama from those women films from the 40s and 50s.

The creators and writers also did Queer as Folk.

Women's issues were also explored on the show, everything from date rape, breast cancer, repressed memories, gun control, alcoholism, etc.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

r1 here-- Honestly, what do you expect, OP? "I'm not that keen on VERY female shows" makes you sound, at the very least, like some sort of idiot, and at worst a misogynist. What is a "VERY female show"? What's the threshold?

Sorry, but you really do sound shallow and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

And your guess, I’m sure, would be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

I was a big fan. Ashley Judd and Paul Rudd (I made a rhyme!) both started their careers on the show. Oh, Clooney was on it, too. Thought the first season was a bit uneven but it really picked up steam toward the middle of the run. Never heard of Ward before the show and became a big fan. Like Once and Again, her character was a real live person...warts and all. Not always perfect, not always nice, sometimes you want to clobber her but, somehow, you still manage to like her.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

OP, I liked Once & Again more than Sisters, but I liked Sisters. I used to tape it on Saturday night and watch it every Sunday. It's where I discovered Paul Rudd and Sela Ward, and reacquainted myself with Patricia Kalember, who had played the wonderfully bitchy Susannah on thirtysomething.

Neither show is much like Gilmore Girls, which I loathed with every fiber of my TV-watching being.

Such a shame the marvelous Kelly Bishop wasn't on Sisters or Once & Again.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

I thought Julianne Phillips was the weakest link in the Sisters foursome.

Whenever I would see her on screen I would think, they could have gotten a better actress for this part.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

R13, when I would see her on screen, I would think "She used to fuck Bruce Springsteen."

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

Sela Ward is wonderful at playing noble but self-involved characters, always wondering why everyone isn't paying attention to THEIR problems.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

I was a kid in the '90s, but I do remember stumbling upon this show one night. I watched a little of it but it didn't catch my interest. I just remember all the sisters having male-sounding names like Alex, Teddy, and Frankie. What was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

The sisters were given male sounding nicknames by their father because he had wanted boys.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

Alex - Alexandra

Teddy - Theodora

Georgie - Georgianna

Frankie - Francesca

Charlie - Charlotte

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

I loathed the Charlie storyline.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

Sisters was my show when I was a kid. It was so well-acted and I used to wish I could be in a posse of sisters like them where we all have boyish names and go to the sauna together once a week.

I liked all of the sisters, but Swoosie Kurtz and then Charlie were my least favorites (I didn't care much for the Charlie storyline either).

If I remember correctly, Charlie was their half-sister via an affair that their Dad had with his secretary or something like that. She was created as a replacement for Julianne Phillips after she left the show for whatever reason.

I don't remember Paul Rudd getting his start here. Who did he play?

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

Paul Rudd played Kirby. And he was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Paul Rudd played Reed's ex-husband.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

Years after the show went off, Ashley Judd was on Broadway at the same time as Swoozie. Ashley met her at a party and acted as if they had never met before. Swoozie was shocked.

I loved the final ep of Sisters - brought everyone back together and the crabby Mother played wonderfully by Elizabeth Hoffman(whose character died in the finale) kept popping up offering useful advice.

Patricia Kalembar's hubby played a shrink who seduced her, and caused her to end her marriage. The storyline where her older son turned to drugs was well played out. In one instance, the kid hits her and as a Mother she is forced to send him away to rehab. That was a Christmas ep where Georgie - the always stable sister- can't stomach having her family over for Christmas. The show had good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

I could never understand why they switched from the original opening credits (which, frankly, I don't even remember) to this dreadful version. If they had instead played a wailing siren with Donald Trump screaming, "CHANGE THE CHANNEL!" over and over, I would have been more likely to keep watching than after this nails-on-a-blackboard monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

Three words: John. Wesley. Shipp.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

The Charlie storyline was done when Julianne Phillips decided to leave (never to be seen anywhere ever again.). But they also recast Charlie after one season. Does anyone know why? In any event I thought the second Charlie was way better.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

The guy who raped Kit was hot.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

[quote]The sisters were given male sounding nicknames by their father because he had wanted boys.

At least none of them was named Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

Julianne Phillips did show up for the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

I love Gilmore Girls.

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

I loved this show as a kid but my dad banned me from watching it so I had to be sneaky to see it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

Why did he ban you from watching it, R31?

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

i loved sisters!!

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

Wasn't that hot dude Mark Frankel on Sisters? Unfortunately, he died in a motorcycle accident.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2013

I had no idea Mark Frankel died.

He was in a shockingly bad film called Leon The Pig Farmer in the early '90s, that garnered a lot of attention at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2013

Mark died in 1996, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2013

[quote] Ashley met her at a party and acted as if they had never met before. Swoozie was shocked.

She did mention Swoozie in her book "I was cast as theater great Swoozie Kurtz's daughter"

[quote] But they also recast Charlie after one season. Does anyone know why?

Charlie cam on the scene one season PRIOR to Julianne leaving. According to the producers both Julianne and Jo Anderson (who originated the part of Charlie) wanted to exit the series on their own volition.

Julianne did show up for the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2013

I like Sela Ward but never really got into that show as it was a bit too "thirtysomething"-ish for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2013

Does anyone wish this show was on DVD? There were some bad storylines on the show. But I really liked it. I remember this show didn't have a huge following because it came out on Saturdays.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

Is Jo Anderson, the first actress to play Charlie, a lesbian? She has given off a lesbian vibe in every performance of hers that I've seen

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

The wole cast practically ate her out.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

You made me laugh out loud, r42. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

Jo Anderson was great playing a lesbian on - what was that Rob Morrow series? North something?

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

Sela Ward is a nasty Rethuglican.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

A colleague of mine met her at a wedding, R45, and said she was incredibly friendly and gracious. And gorgeous.

She and the pre-"ER" Clooney, both at the height of their beauty, easily made the hottest TV couple ever.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

It was "Northern Exposure", r44. Jo was indeed very good in her lesbian role- which seemed to fit her like a glove.

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

Has the Sisters cast commented on the Stephen Collins scandal? Sure he was only on during the last season, I wonder if Swoozie will spill.

by Anonymousreply 4810/13/2014

I don't understand r46's reply to r45, it does nothing to refute what they say. And it wouldn't surprise me, I've never liked her much. "The Day After Tomorrow" could be vastly improved by simply removing all Sela's scenes.

by Anonymousreply 4910/13/2014

R48..: Why would Swooz spill on Stephen Collins? His character played Sela Ward's character's lover. Alex was busy with Big Al!

by Anonymousreply 5010/13/2014

Was this the theme song and opening credits?

by Anonymousreply 5110/13/2014

Yes, R51, it was.

But shame on you for making me look at son-beater Bing Crosby.

by Anonymousreply 5210/13/2014

OP, Where did you find DVDs? I can't find any anywhere and I loved this show. If anyone knows where I can purchase a DVD set, please let me know!

by Anonymousreply 5310/13/2014

I remember not liking Stephen Collins' character on SISTERS; he seemed like such a cold fish. Also, I thought Collins and Sela Ward had no chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 5410/13/2014

angry lesbian at r1

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2014

Sela had great chemistry with Hugh Laurie when she was on House.

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2014

She's currently on the big screen in Gone Girl. Just one or two scenes, but she does a very nice job. And she looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2014

[quote]And she looks gorgeous.

And she looks gorgeous for her age.

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2014

Only two scenes and there's Oscar buzz for Sela in "Gone Girl".

Could Sela be our next EGOT?

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2014

all she needs is the G, O, and T!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2014

Again, anybody know where I can buy this? You can't find any episodes online, not even torrents.

DVDs? Old VHS tapes? Someone please, I would love to own this show!

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2014

Loved Sisters - Patrica Kalembar was finally in a role that fit her - Georgie Witsig was the third sister, but the nurturing one who the family all turned to. The Georgie character in flashbacks was the enabler of the alcoholic mother. The show had a lot of QAF touches, but I loved it. And Swoozie was great as Alex, the late David Dukes played her cross dressing ex-husband. I didn't mind Julianne Phillips she was the baby sister and a corporate shark who absolutely was still treated like a baby sister instead of a competent woman.

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2014

Patricia Kalember was a Kay Bailey Hutchison-type senator from Texas on last night's "Madam Secretary."

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2014

[quote]Also, I thought Collins and Sela Ward had no chemistry.

I agree. Sela had the best chemistry on that show with George Clooney, but his character got killed off.

I also liked Sela on Once and Again with Billy Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 6410/14/2014

Swoozie wrote in her book that TPTB tried but failed to cast Sada Thompson as the mother.

Nonetheless all four actresses are still close to this day.

They just clicked on day one.

by Anonymousreply 6510/14/2014

Do any of the four core actresses on SISTERS talk to either of the women who played Charlie?!

by Anonymousreply 6610/14/2014

I just watched the pilot to Once and Again. I loved this show. I wish I had those black and white sequences in my life too. "I wanted him...".

by Anonymousreply 6710/14/2014

[quote] Do any of the four core actresses on SISTERS talk to either of the women who played Charlie?!

I have wondered about that. Since the show went off the air, it has been forgotten by many and that is a bit sad. The show wasn't extremely great, but it had good acting and a few storylines that were ahead of the time. The media never does follow ups or where are they now? stuff on the main cast.

by Anonymousreply 6810/15/2014

I stopped watching when they introduced the Charlie character--granted it was always soapy, but the whole other daughter with a boy's name was just too contrived.

Nobody's mentioned the way hot Ed Marinaro on as Sela's ex and Julianne's current husband Mitch on the show. Julianne always sounded like she had a mouth full of oatmeal whenever she spoke. Not at all surprised that she hasn't worked since.

I also think that Ashley Judd might have replaced the original Reed, though few people remember that there was another Reed (few people remember the show, so...).

by Anonymousreply 6910/15/2014

I hated the Charlie storyline. Didn't the other sisters insist on calling her Charlie instead of Charlotte?

by Anonymousreply 7010/15/2014

[quote]I also think that Ashley Judd might have replaced the original Reed, though few people remember that there was another Reed (few people remember the show, so...).

Apparently three actresses played Reed Halsey, R69, Kathy Wagner (1991), Ashley Judd (1991-94), and Noelle Parker (1995-96).

by Anonymousreply 7110/15/2014

Sela was a University of Alabama cheerleader

by Anonymousreply 7210/15/2014

Loved the way Sela Ward wore her sunglasses, hanging under her chin.

by Anonymousreply 7310/15/2014

Sela even wrote about her cheerleading experiences.

by Anonymousreply 7410/15/2014

She was also a Chi Omega, same chapter as Harper Lee.

by Anonymousreply 7510/15/2014

Mark Frankel was hot and had chemistry with Sela, he died tragically.

by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2014

I loved the first Christmas episode when Georgie made eggnog with tainted eggs and everyone got sick.

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2014

Why isn't it on DVD ?

by Anonymousreply 7810/15/2014

[quote] Why isn't it on DVD ?

There are probably several reasons why it isn't on DVD. After NBC ended the show, it wasn't big in syndication/reruns. Lifetime aired reruns for awhile, but they were on late at night. Then they are legal and business issues with production companies, networks, and others.

I hope that maybe it will end up on a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu someday.

by Anonymousreply 7910/16/2014

Maybe someone will put some episodes up on youtube

by Anonymousreply 8010/16/2014

I loved this show, and I would be thrilled to be able to watch it again.

Are you listening, Netflix??

And throw in Family and ER, while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 8110/16/2014

The Sisters were apart of the Entertainment Weekly cast reunions issue. The actresses who played Charlie weren't included.

by Anonymousreply 8211/07/2014

R82 thanks for this

Huge fan of Sisters, great to see the four back together again,

by Anonymousreply 8311/07/2014

Such an irritating show. On the verge of camp, but too much of a soap to be really entertaining. Ed Marinaro seemed to have all of them.

by Anonymousreply 8411/07/2014

The cast looks great these days. I wonder if Swoozie has had work done.

by Anonymousreply 8511/08/2014

That was a good show, I liked it a lot. I thought their names were cool.

by Anonymousreply 8611/08/2014

Video of the cast on The Today Show. Sela's Southern accent comes out in the interview.

by Anonymousreply 8711/08/2014

Poor Charlie!

by Anonymousreply 8811/08/2014

I would love for a movie but even better is a reboot, with the same actresses!

by Anonymousreply 8911/08/2014

Sisters and China Beach both need to be on Netflix. The early seasons of Sisters were great.

by Anonymousreply 9011/08/2014

China Beach is on DVD, and fairly cheap too.

by Anonymousreply 9111/08/2014

by Anonymousreply 9211/08/2014

[quote]I would love for a movie but even better is a reboot, with the same actresses!

If the show had been very popular during it's original run, a reboot or tv reunion movie would be possible.

I miss the days of TV show reunion movies. Most of those reunion movies weren't too good, but it was good seeing characters reunite.

by Anonymousreply 9311/08/2014

I remember her from advertising posters at the Optician's.

by Anonymousreply 9411/08/2014

R93, I was a popular show. It ran for 6 season and for 3 seasons it had an average of over 10 million viewers. It did drop down to over 6 million viewers in the last season but even that's impressive. I'm really not sure why there is no DVD release. It looks like there was going to be one at tone time and it's listed on Amazon but it must have fallen through. It's really good show and it's among the first of it's kind. It was the original "sex in the city" and they were not sluts, but rather well fleshed out characters who were also realistic about their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 9511/08/2014

R95 there has to be demand for it, and right now it just has a cult following. But not enough interest to press a DVD for sale.

by Anonymousreply 9611/08/2014

If Netflix could get the rights to stream episodes I think we would see a dvd release eventually. I would like to see Shout Factory get ahold of this series as they would do it justice w/interviews w/all the cast members.

I'm a 33 yr old gay guy and I remember watching this on Saturday nights w/my sister. I don't know what drew me or her to it really, but we watched it religiously.

by Anonymousreply 9711/08/2014

R96, It was a prime time show that averaged 10 million viewers each fucking episode for three years. That's not a show with just a cult following. That's a hit.

by Anonymousreply 9811/08/2014

It WAS a hit, a very long time ago. Now the number of people interested in a dvd release are limited, a cult following.

by Anonymousreply 9911/08/2014

Sisters and Picket Fences were 90s shows that were hits, but both were overshadowed by bigger TV hits. I have enjoyed reading this thread and the Picket Fences thread here. It is good seeing that people still remember the shows. I thought Sisters was slightly better than Picket Fences.

by Anonymousreply 10011/09/2014

Picket Fences only has season 1 DVD out.

by Anonymousreply 10111/09/2014

Bring back this thread and bring back this show! I could never decide who my favorite sister was - Teddy? Georgie? Alex? (Not Frankie though - sorry Mrs. Springsteen!)

by Anonymousreply 10205/01/2015

Loved Sisters! Remember that rumor that Sela was dating an actor who beat her, passed her around to friends and treated her like a coke whore? I can't remember the actor she was dating back in the late 80s 90s ..

Anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 10305/01/2015

I don't remember that rumor about Sela.

Sela seems to be getting some minor roles in big movies these days. She was in Gone Girl and now has a role in Independence Day 2.

I think we may see her again on another TV show.

by Anonymousreply 10405/06/2015

If I remember correctly, on the last episode they were all moving to different places, but spoke about getting together again at holidays, etc.

I thought that was a sign that we would have occasional Christmas or Thanksgiving reunions, but so far, not...

by Anonymousreply 10505/06/2015

Frankie was the worst, r102. I don't know if it was just a bad character, bad actress or combination of both.

They should have just had the three remaining sisters when she left the show instead of inventing a new one. Or just recast Frankie, that's essentially what they did anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10605/06/2015

I liked her in House.

by Anonymousreply 10705/06/2015

[quote]Frankie was the worst, [R102]. I don't know if it was just a bad character, bad actress or combination of both.

I think it was more of a bad actress thing. Julianne Phillips was the weak link of the show. Swoozie, Patricia, and Sela were all great in their roles.

I actually liked the early season storyline of Frankie being married to Teddy's ex Mitch. It was entertaining despite Julianne's bad acting.

The actresses who played Charlie weren't any better. The show shouldn't have added Charlie and just focused on Teddy, Georgie, and Alex

by Anonymousreply 10805/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!