Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can a straight man have gay voice?

The plain "Gay Voice" thread reminded me of something I've wondered about. Am thinking, for example, of the late John Ritter, who apparently was straight (??) and whose voice always pinged bigtime to me, and, as another example, a doctor I have who is married with kids, who has the gayest voice I've ever heard. Of course he could be gay. I'm in no position to know...but I'm curious what you experts think. I mean, most people have no idea how they sound to other people.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2014

I just thought Mayor Bloomberg has a Boston area accent, kind of like Baba Wawa. (He's not a native New Yorker, natch).

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

Yes, my de facto business partner screams "homosexual" every time he opens his mouth. He was the first person I ever met in a business situation that I was "sure" was gay. But he's not -- I've known him and his wife and kids for 20 years now.

I don't really "hear" the voice anymore, but clients do -- they assume he's gay and I'm straight.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

It is strange in the south. I swear, 1/2 of the men in professional jobs (not the good ole boys) have at least some gay voice and tend to favor extremely neat appearances (i.e. well coordinated outfits with perfect hair and nails). It strikes me as gay. But most are married to junior league types. They cannot all be closeted... can they?

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

Sure OP. Take Tom Selleck, for example. Well......maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

Yes, and it's becoming more common. With guys under 30, it's often impossible to tell if they are gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

I don't think so. If they say they're straight, they're lying if they speak in gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

R11, I always thought the Southern drawl sounded, well, gay. It's the slow, gentle way of talking, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

Don't ask me.

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

Of course they can have a gay voice, even it they don't speak with a gay accent.

Adam Levine is a perfect example.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

Bobby Kennedy had a gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

R6 - huh, kind of weird that on DL we can post all kinds of ugly profantity but cannot type the word "e44eminate".

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

[quote]A guy can have semi-gay voice and still be straight as an arrow. Take Tebow and Lautner for example.

When did Tebow turn straight?

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

most urban German men have total gay voice, a voice that says, "stop That! Stop that NOW! or I'll have a hissy-fit!"

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

An old school friend's step-father looked and sounded like Charles Nelson Reilly, he said the man was straight.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

Let's turn the question around, can a gay man have a straight voice? I say yes and there are many.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

Rick Snyder, governor of Michigan is a poster boy to answer this question.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

[quote]Let's turn the question around, can a gay man have a straight voice? I say yes and there are many.

Agree! Rock Hudson, Richard Chamberlain, Tom Brady, Raymond Burr, Richard Gere, and hundreds of other celebs.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

Tom Brady gay?!

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

Lindsay Buckingham

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

I want Tom Brady in me very deeply.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

I'm a Southerner, and I agree with the poster who said that the wealthier, higher class men in the South often have that accent that is associated with "gay". It is sort of a softer way of talking and the way they end each sentence. I am a redneck hillbilly and I don't have it. There is a TV preacher out of Dallas, named Marcus Lamb, and I was sure that he was a closeted homosexual, expecting a scandal at any time. When the scandal happened, he had been having a longterm affair with a woman on his staff. I don't know what to think now, but he is very (that word we can't write without it being changed to childish epithet posted by a bigoted fool).

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

Yes. I know a straight guy who went to the Columbus School of Art & Design. Looked like a gay Kenny Loggins. Gay supportive/friendly, but totally heterosexual. With all the stereotypical gay mannerisms, lisp and vocal affectations, etc. He was not in the closet or in denial. He was just an effeminate gay-acting straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Just watched my DVR Oprah's interview with Drew Barrymore and when she interviewed her new husband, Will Kopelman, I kept thinking he had a gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

Al Gore has gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

Female here : just slept w/a supposed hetero man w/gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

I've noticed that many hetero Jewish men have a serious case of gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

I've noticed that a lot of Bay area born and bred younger generation (especially young white guys) have gay voice, or atleast, cadence. It could be cultural.

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

Drew Barrymore has gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 3607/25/2013

PETER FUCKING SARSGAARD.

I know he's married to Jake's sis and all, but...

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2013

YES

go to Germany and you'll see

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2013

What a dumb question.

There is such a thing as a "gay sounding" voice, but not only gay men have it.

One of the reasons that non sexual gays say certain men or women "ping" is because of the sound or timbre or inflection of their voices. Therefore Angie Harmon and Ryan Gosling must be gay. OK. But they are not.

I have a deep resonant Italian accented speaking voice, a bit thuggish. My dick is gay.

Attuned gaydar perceives things more subtle than the sound of the voice.

There are a lot of unfortunate voices in this world, and they are spread pretty evenly around.

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2013

I think I'm listening to a straight man with gay voice speaking right now. He has exceptional gay voice and is quite feminine but he talks about women and girls he likes. He's African-American. If I heard him on the phone, I would immediately think he was gay but apparently...not? Hmmm....I don't think he has a girlfriend, just talks about them.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2014

You mean Rick Scott of Florida, right, R24?

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2014

Why yes, old bean.

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2014

No, R41. Youtube Rick Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2014

One of my doctors is an Italian born physician with the most high nasal faggy voice imaginable. He is a nice man who is married to a beautiful woman to whom he is obviously very devoted and has a handful of beautiful children. I do not believe he is gay, bisexual nor a closet case but his voice is the pits.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.