Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mandatory viewing for those of us who lived and breathed TV growing up in the late '70s and early '80s

Am I missing anything?

Monday: Little House on the Prairie MASH AfterMASH Kate & Allie Newhart Cagney & Lacey Lou Grant

Tuesday: Happy Days Laverne & Shirley Three's Company Too Close for Comfort Hart to Hart

Wednesday: Eight is Enough Dynasty Hotel

Thursday: Welcome Back, Kotter Mork & Mindy Magnum PI Simon & Simon Knots Landing

Friday: The Incredible Hulk Dukes of Hazard Dallas Falcon Crest

Saturday: Love Boat Fantasy Island Alice The Carol Burnett Show

Sunday: Archie Bunker's Place Goodnight, Beantown Gloria One Day at a Time The Jeffersons Trapper John, MD

by Sred Filvermanreply 8802/02/2013

I think your list is complete but I do remember the only show that my sister and i could watch in the mid-seventies was Walt Disney on Sunday nights at 7pm.

by Sred Filvermanreply 101/30/2013

How spectacular was Wednesday night?

by Sred Filvermanreply 201/30/2013

Yes some of these show were on after my bedtime.

by Sred Filvermanreply 301/30/2013

As a boy, I never got into LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, and found ONE DAY AT A TIME boring (especially since Schneider was about the only male ever on the show), and EIGHT IS ENOUGH just plain stupid. BEANTOWN was a pretty minor show to be making such a list.

by Sred Filvermanreply 401/30/2013

Am I wrong, or is there not a single NBC show on that list? Did they have nothing to offer in those days? (Not that they have a lot to offer these days.)

by Sred Filvermanreply 501/30/2013

Three's Company.

by Sred Filvermanreply 601/30/2013

Ah, I see now, Little House was on NBC.

I have no idea what Goodnight Beantown is.

by Sred Filvermanreply 701/30/2013

NBC was in the sewer until Cheers (1982) and The Cosby Show (1984?) came alone.

by Sred Filvermanreply 801/30/2013

Friday night was my favorite. Watched the Dukes, always anxiously awaiting Wopat/Schneider shirtless scenes, and then it was on to high drama with Dallas and Falcon Crest. I remember drooling over Lorenzo Lamas, but what young gay tween/teen didn't? The whole night was a wet dream.

by Sred Filvermanreply 901/30/2013

Never mind. I just saw Three's Company listed. Sorry OP.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1001/30/2013

No Good Times? Honky!

by Sred Filvermanreply 1101/30/2013

You forgot "Charlie's Angels".

by Sred Filvermanreply 1201/30/2013

Little House was on NBC. I loved St. Elsewhere.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1301/30/2013

Little House was NBC, but the rest of the lineup was a disaster. I guess there was Diff'rent Strokes and Facts of Life, but that was about it. I think one season in the early 80s, they didn't have one show in the top 25.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1401/30/2013

The Saturday night lineup was All In The Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Carol Burnett Show.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1501/30/2013

Didn't NBC have Small Wonder? The greatest TV show that ever was or will be.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1601/30/2013

Wasn't The Incredible Hulk on NBC?

by Sred Filvermanreply 1701/30/2013

Small Wonder was first-run syndication from the beginning. My local NBC affiliate aired it, but only on weekend afternoons.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1801/30/2013

Wednesday was "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life."

Friday had "Webster" and "Mr. Belvedere."

I always remembed "Alice" being on Sundays but maybe it moved around. Sunday also had "Silver Spoons" in the early slot.

by Sred Filvermanreply 1901/30/2013

What? No "SOAP"?

by Sred Filvermanreply 2001/30/2013

In my town Soap aired after the evening news, to protect the children. It didn't occur to me that that wasn't the case everywhere.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2101/30/2013

Alice started Sat's and then moved to Sun's after Jeffersons, I believe.

Anyone remember Gloria with Sally Struthers? I liked it and it did really well in the ratings sandwiched btwn Archie Bunker's Place and the Jeffersons, but it was cancelled after only one season.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2201/30/2013

My parents wouldn't let me watch SOAP. Too racy.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2301/30/2013

I remember Facts of Life being on Saturday night, either before or after Golden Girls, but I think that was more mid to late 80s.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2401/30/2013

How were shows like Dallas or Mary Tyler Moore able to attract such big audiences on Friday or Saturday night? Those nights are TV dead zones today.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2501/30/2013

I lived for Trapper John MD.

The show itself was meh but the opening had Gregory Harrison nearly naked. YUM.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2601/30/2013

Saturday night at 7pm Solid Gold with the Solid Gold Dancers and host Dionne Warwick among others. The precursor to most MTV dance programing.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2701/30/2013

r15, you're not reading the time frame correctly. Yes MTM went into 1977, but this is the period that crossed over into the 1980s.

if there's one thing Wikipedia is great for it's the US network schedules...

you can see how OP's schedule pushing the 1970s to the 1980s looks more like some kind of dream schedule where these shows were all on at once

compare 1978-79 where Taxi, Angie, and the Ropers were Top 10, and look where Dallas was... very different....

you can scroll to the bottom of the wiki page and compare seasons...

by Sred Filvermanreply 2801/30/2013

Saturday: All in the Family, Doc, Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, Carol Burnett.

I also loved Family, Charlie's Angels.

We had knobs on TV sets that despite all the turning seldom broke off.

by Sred Filvermanreply 2901/30/2013

I liked the NBC of Throb and Amen

by Sred Filvermanreply 3001/30/2013

R25, the late Larry Hagman said the economy had something to do with it.

People couldn't afford to go out on Friday and Saturday nights so they stayed home.

In its prime, DALLAS was far more entertaining than most movies.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3101/30/2013

And also this meditation on Jodie Foster's coming out:

by Sred Filvermanreply 3201/30/2013

R14 are you thinking of 1981-82?

look at that schedule - nothing in the top 20 ...

by Sred Filvermanreply 3301/30/2013

I have to agree with "Charlie's Angels." When the first season started it came on after my bedtime, so I used to try and sneak downstairs to watch it from the back of the living room. I usually got caught. Once it moved from 10pm to 9pm, I could watch freely!

I also LOVED "Wonder Woman," "The Bionic Woman," and "The Six Million Dollar Man." And I never missed "WKRP in Cincinnati."

As much as I loved "M*A*S*H," I was not a fan of "AfterMASH."

The variety shows of the 70s were required family viewing. Carol Burnett, Shields & Yarnell, Captain & Tenille, Sonny & Cher, Cher, Dolly Parton, The Muppets, etc.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3401/30/2013

ahem, Scarecrow and Mrs King

and Buck Rogers!

by Sred Filvermanreply 3501/30/2013

Anyone remember House Calls? It co-starred Ray Buktenica. In the late '70s, he and Joyce DeWitt were the Hollywood "IT" couple.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3601/30/2013

Starsky and Hutch was on after Charlie's Angels.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3701/30/2013

[quote]Wasn't The Incredible Hulk on NBC?

The series was on CBS, NBC later purchased the franchise to do a few made-for-TV movies.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3801/30/2013

I remember that being such a slam in junior high to say you were at home on a Saturday night watching the Golden Girls.

by Sred Filvermanreply 3901/30/2013

Late '70s?...try Holocaust & Roots.

Also Rich Man, Poor Man.

Most of the stuff mentioned here was tacky shit.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4001/30/2013

The Thorn Birds and East of Eden mini series.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4101/30/2013

The Last Convertible

by Sred Filvermanreply 4201/30/2013

I miss the days of the mini series. North and South, Rich Man, Poor Man, Roots. That was some good shit.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4301/30/2013

I've never seen an episode of Goodnight Beantown, and I don't know anyone who has.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4401/30/2013

Wow.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4501/30/2013

Don't forget the mini series Lace!

by Sred Filvermanreply 4601/30/2013

Goodnight, Beantown was a pretty intelligent sitcom starring Mariette Hartley and Bill Bixby as network co-anchors who also had a love/hate relationship going. It was kind of pre-Moonlighting. It did very well in the ratings on Sunday nights, though at that point in a time, a test pattern sandwiched between Archie Bunker's Place and the Jeffersons would've scored big numbers. I think CBS decided to move it to another night to anchor that night's programming, and it tanked.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4701/30/2013

Not my programs OP. You didn't get "Quinn Martin" productions: S.W.A.T., FBI, Barnaby Jones, Streets of San Francisco, Kodak, Cannon, Simon & Simon, Charlie's Angels, Adam 12, Mod Squad, Hawaii Five-O, McCloud, Police Woman, etc.

by Sred Filvermanreply 4801/30/2013

No Kung Fu?

by Sred Filvermanreply 4901/30/2013

Other than M*A*S*H, my favorites of the late '70s/early '80s era were not mentioned. My mandatory shows as a kid during that time were: M*A*S*H, The Rockford Files, Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, Barney Miller, Soap, Battlestar Galactica, Vega$, Magnum P.I.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5001/30/2013

I've found people from dysfunctional homes to be the most ardent fans of Little House On The Prarie. Their fantasies are sad and then they make others suffer in their relationships for as long as they walk the earth.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5101/30/2013

AfterMASH was not very good. Trapper John MD was a pretty good show, though it was totally disjunct from the original MASH universe except for the title character.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5201/30/2013

Wednesdays was Charlie's Angels. That should be on any mandatory viewing list.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5301/30/2013

[quote] Other than M*A*S*H, my favorites of the late '70s/early '80s era were not mentioned. My mandatory shows as a kid during that time were: M*A*S*H, The Rockford Files, Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, Barney Miller, Soap, Battlestar Galactica, Vega$, Magnum P.I.

Yep, me too. Loved Soap and WKRP especially.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5401/30/2013

Quincy! Loved me some Jack Klugman.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5501/30/2013

I never found Lamas even remotely.appealing, R9. Still don't. I'm not sure why. On the other hand, R26, Gregory Harrison and his shower reveal in the opening credits of TRAPPER JOHN, M.D. were very much a turn on. And what kept me interested in the show. Damn, he was sexy!

by Sred Filvermanreply 5601/30/2013

KATE AND ALLIE!

OMG this was the best show.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5701/30/2013

Carol Burnett left the airwaves in either 77 or 78, not long after MTM did, so her show was not on during the late 70's and early 80's.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5801/30/2013

MTM's last season ended in 1977, Burnett 1978.

by Sred Filvermanreply 5901/30/2013

I remember Falcon's Crest being on Sundays?

by Sred Filvermanreply 6001/30/2013

I was a big fan of Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galatica. I also liked Fantasy Island (Smiles, everyone! Smiles!), so Love Boat kind of came along for the ride.

by Sred Filvermanreply 6101/30/2013

I remember Happy Days on Monday, only because it was annoying that my friend down the street always wanted to stop playing and go in to watch it. Even as a kid, I didn't like it. I know I like Laverne and Shirley more, but apparently not enough to go in to watch it. I mostly remember watch it in syndication much later, but really only because we had fewer options then, and it was bearable at least.

[quote] Carol Burnett, Shields & Yarnell, Captain & Tenille, Sonny & Cher, Cher, Dolly Parton, The Muppets, etc.

Some of those were required viewing Burnett, Sonny & Cher (which I'm shocked the OP didn't mention, they were HUGE) and The Muppets. Even in the 70s, C&T were way too cheesy for anyone with taste (surprised you didn't list Donny & Marie along with them), S&Y were one-trick, robot ponies and the show didn't last long, so few thought they were "required," and I don't remember Dolly's variety show. Are you sure she had one? I remember she had a failed one in the 80s.

by Sred Filvermanreply 6201/30/2013

Don't forget about us--"Pink Lady & Jeff"

by Sred Filvermanreply 6301/30/2013

Network Prime Time began one hour earlier on Sundays when The Wonderful World of Disney aired on NBC at 7pm.

by Sred Filvermanreply 6401/30/2013

Vega$ with Robert Urich

by Sred Filvermanreply 6501/30/2013

R65 Just the mention of that one got me rock hard! Love Robert Urich.

by Sred Filvermanreply 6601/30/2013

Friday: The Brady Bunch, Nanny and the Professor, The Partridge Family and (I think?) The Odd Couple

by Sred Filvermanreply 6701/30/2013

Don't forget DL fave "Family" with Kristy McNichol. Hill Street Blues for early to mid 1980's

by Sred Filvermanreply 6801/30/2013

I loved Carol Burnett's show on Saturday night.

I also remember when Roots came out. It was a big deal.

I liked the Dukes of Hazzard not so much for the shirtless scenes as for the tight jeans. Likewise with WKRP in Cincinnati.

by Sred Filvermanreply 6901/30/2013

I very rarely watched Dukes of Hazard. John Schneider was entirely too young for me to look at during that time, and I had no idea he was so beautiful until I saw him in a movie after the Dukes. When I did see a Dukes, because of reruns I had already seen on other channels, it made me think that we need a South Anti-Defamation League really badly.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7001/30/2013

Three's Company was the best sitcom ever! It was the epitome of what a funny, slapstick, farce sitcom should be.

It was the first show about nothing (sorry Seinfeld).

It was the anti Norman Lear.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7101/31/2013

This is more mid-'70s, but the ABC Movie of the Week was required viewing in my home. Who could forget those "grab you" titles: "Trapped"! "Killdozer"! "Maneater"! "Five Desperate Women"! "The Devil's Daughter"!

by Sred Filvermanreply 7201/31/2013

Well r72, the Desperate Women title grabbed me and made me google it. The plot is really good, but it gets a pretty low rating on imdb, and most of the reviews suggest it was poorly executed.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7301/31/2013

5 Desperate Women is on YouTube, well at least it has Joan Hackett.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7401/31/2013

Shit, forgot the link:

by Sred Filvermanreply 7501/31/2013

Cagney and Lacey

Remington Steele

CHiP's

Knight Rider

And these two were pure shit, but we watched every week: Puttin' On The Hits and Dance Fever with Denny Terrio and Motion!

by Sred Filvermanreply 7601/31/2013

We weren't allowed to watch any of those shows. There was only one TV, and my father was the one who always decided what we were going to watch in the evening.

We watched the Wonderful World of Disney and the Ed Sullivan show on a regular basis. My father also liked Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Perry Mason, Ironsides, and Wall Street Week. He also liked certain Masterpiece Theater shows, like "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "The Forsyte Sage" (26 episodes!).

If he was away overnight on a very rare business trip, we would snatch a few stolen minutes of shows our friends talked about, like Bobby Sherman or the Partridge Family.

My absolute favorite show back then was Soul Train, which we only got to see if my father was out and about doing weekend errands.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7701/31/2013

I don't fault your father for watching whatever he wanted if he was the sole breadwinner, but he should've bought another tv the rest of the family to watch elsewhere. It was especially piggish for him not to care what your mom wanted to watch. My stepfather did the same thing, would throw a fit unless the living-room tv was on whatever he wanted to watch, and my passive mother just let him do it. I couldn't have cared less when that Fox-News watching curmudgeon died.

by Sred Filvermanreply 7801/31/2013

MORK AND MINDY!!

by Sred Filvermanreply 7901/31/2013

Starksy and Hutch!!

Anyone??

by Sred Filvermanreply 8001/31/2013

I don't know if late 70s is when it started or if it was not until early 80s, but "Magnum PI" was the program that I tried to watch every week. I would always go to bed to watch it, because I knew that I was going to jack-off the whole time it was on. I had done the same previously with "The Big Valley", with the young Lee Majors being the object of my lust. I was over it by the time he was the "Six Million Dollar Man." Before that, in the 60s, it was "The Wild Wild West", but I was still at my parent's house, with one B&W TV in the living room, and I could not just go to bed and jack off while I watched. I sure did enjoy it though, but I realize that all of these handsome actors are closet-case assholes in real life.

by Sred Filvermanreply 8101/31/2013

Yes, R80, I liked Starsky and Hutch. I liked the sexy bulgy crotch on the short brunette, and I just like tall blondes regardless. And I love muscle cars of that era also. It really turned me on when I read that David Soul said that he did some street hustling when he was young. I sure would have liked to trick with him.

by Sred Filvermanreply 8201/31/2013

I know others have mentioned it ,but I'm completely appalled that SOAP, Diff'rent Strokes and Facts of Life weren't on the OP's list! And for the early 80's, I would also add Remington Steele and Scarecrow & Mrs. King.

by Sred Filvermanreply 8301/31/2013

The Waltons,, anyone?

What about James at 15, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew shows!

by Sred Filvermanreply 8401/31/2013

[Quote]My parents wouldn't let me watch SOAP. Too racy. [/quote]

And this why my parents were so very cool !!! They let me watch SOAP when I was 11-12 years old....but I had to watch it WITH them....so they could explain Jody and the other adult themes. I was the only kid I knew in my 6th grade class, who as allowed to watch it.... Which gave me great "street Cred"......before that was really even a term......

by Sred Filvermanreply 8501/31/2013

YESSSSSS! R84. Gosh, I'd almost forgotten about those!!! I was SO into those shows, having read the books in elementary school!!

Loving this thread so much! .......

by Sred Filvermanreply 8601/31/2013

[quote]How were shows like Dallas or Mary Tyler Moore able to attract such big audiences on Friday or Saturday night? Those nights are TV dead zones today.

Despite Larry Hagman's theory that people couldn't afford to go out, that isn't quite the whole picture. Do you think in our current environment everybody goes out on a Friday or Saturday night?

I would suggest that it has to do with the number of entertainment options available in the home. Back in the 70s and early 80s, it was TV, read, listen to music, or hang with friends and family. Today, TV has many more channels, DVD options, DVR recordings, On Demand and streaming, and plus there's the internet, video games, etc. Entertainment choices have multiplied and therefore fewer people are tuning into live TV.

by Sred Filvermanreply 8802/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.