Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have a job interview today and did not get a wink of sleep

Tossed and turned all night. I'm F.U.C.K.E.D.

by Anonymousreply 4508/06/2014

Good luck today OP and let us know how you go.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

Good luck OP. No matter what it happens, everything will be ok, it's a matter of time sweetie. Keep on hoping!

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

Take a caffeine pill right before it, but none before that, no matter how tired you are. It's only going to work once. You might feel hopelessly exhausted before the interview, but you could perk up, temporarily, from the excitement of going out and doing something. Enough to get you through the interview, along with the caffeine. Do everything in a rush right before the interview to make it more likely you'll perk up.

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

I got my first job when I went into an interview tired and a little bit hungover. This wasn't McDonalds by the way but an Insurance risk position. The more relaxed you are, the better the interview goes. Sometimes being a bit chilled out and tired is the best thing for an interview. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

I would advise against taking anything you're not used to. Relax. It's happened. Remember that the person who is interviewing you may have had a similarly awful night. Do your best and don't beat yourself up. It happens and one day you will look back on this and smile.

Oh, and good luck!

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

Well you may feel bad now or even after the interview thinking all the things you said and judging yourself, but remember, don't be very hard on yourself. Give time and don't be in despair.Come on! Be positive even when a bad or a couple of thoughts thoughts try to let you down.

Smile a bit jerk!

:)

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

Nah, OP. That's happened to me lots of times, before exams, interviews, public speaking. I always miraculously get it together for whatever the thing is and then collapse in a heap later in the day. For short periods like that, the adrenaline gets you through. If you can add (one) well-timed coffee, that'll give you extra confidence you're going to be perky enough.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

Thanks guys. I think I will get there early and go to the Starbucks in the tunnel and get an extra shot in the cup.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

The same thing happened to me and I did fine. There was a DL theory that the less excited and enthusiastic you appear, the better. So the fatigue may help with that. Don't you DARE admit to not sleeping or feeling nervous to the interviews, though.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

What R8 says, you will be totally fine and rise to the occasion. I sometimes do better with less sleep as long as the interview isn't too early.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

Make sure your breath is fresh and your eyes are clear, moist and free of rheum. Brushing your teeth right before can help perk you up.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

In the tunnel?

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

We have a tunnel system here R14 that is connected to most of the office buildings. There's restaurants, shops and dentists, etc. down there.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

Minneapolis, OP? Chicago? Toronto?

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

Houston.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

Could be Houston as well. The Starbucks in the tunnel is at 2 Shell Plaza. I work near there; the code to the men's room, should you like to freshen up beforehand, is 456*.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

Sorry, it's at One Shell. Same difference.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

Thanks R18. Is Shell anywhere near 700 Milam (Pennzoil Place)?

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

Ooh, I remember knowing the codes for office building restrooms...

...but it sure wasn't to wash my hands. LOL

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Yes, R20, it's just to the south in the North Lousisiana Tunnel, but there's also a Starbucks in the tunnel at Pennzoil Place. I forgot about that one. However, the men's room advice still stands; it's the closest one to Pennzoil that's accessible to the public. Brush teeth, whatever you need to do to freshen up.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

You should climb on top of the interviewer and begin snoring.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

R21, *wink*

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

What I always do in these situations is get very drunk. Then interviewers don't notice that I'm sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

Geez -- it used to be that an interview was all about exchanging info on your experience and their needs.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

Make sure you update us OP!

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

OP, just show the interviewer the thong under your Brooks Brothers suit and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

Remember to arrive 5 minutes early. After you've checked in with the receptionist, curl up in the waiting area and catch a few winks. You'll ace the interview!

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Did you get the job OP?

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

I can't believe r30's advice. Right, curl up and take a nap in the waiting area, that's sure to help you get the job!

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

This is me right now and am having an almost panic attack. It is 5am, Inwas going to get up at 7. Have an interview at 10, have to leave for it at 9.

Ugh. UGH!

The old advice on this thread is comforting though.

by Anonymousreply 3308/06/2014

Put something cold on your eyes to get rid of the bags. It will fell really good too.

Slices of cucumber or even a couple of spoons stuck in the freezer for 10 min.

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2014

R33, there's nothing worse than sabatoge.

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2014

wow, you really blew it. there's no way you'll get the job now.

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2014

R33, make this extra time productive. Does the company your interviewing with have a website? You've probably been there, but go again. Google the latest news about the company.

Make a few notes about what you want to say, or notes about what not to say or do. Think about what you can expect from them regarding questions they may ask. This will help you order your thoughts, and keep you calm.

Do some exercise. Including breathing exercises. Oxygen. Amazing how energized and alert it makes you feel. Eat something. Go early. Get down to the neighborhood where the interview will take place and just hang out, read the paper, etc. if possible. Get a feel for the environment.

Then, make sure you go to the actual office the interview will be held, about ten, but not more than 15 minutes early. Don't be chatty and try to talk to the receptionist. Just sit quietly and read a magazine. You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2014

R37, are you always that annoying?

by Anonymousreply 3808/06/2014

Thank you, kind and unkind souls.

by Anonymousreply 3908/06/2014

Went to a job interview once where I had been awake 30+ hours straight.

I had a night job so no time for sleep.

I knew I was feeling loopy but I went in anyway and tried to make the best of it.

My insides were shaking due to exhaustion but I zipped right through the panel interview in 20 minutes. Interview was supposed to last 90 minutes!!!

Got home and hit the bed. Woke up around 4pm to the phone ringing. It was the HR rep saying I got the job. Said I was so passionate and excited that everyone was really surprised. Most of the interviewees had been boring and took the full 90 minutes. They were just waiting for someone to come in and really wow them.

by Anonymousreply 4008/06/2014

R38, you may find me annoying, but my suggestions came from a good place. I'd rather R33 found something to occupy his time, instead of becoming more nervous and anxious about the interview.

For all I care, he can watch a movie for two hours or bake bread, shine his shoes, pass the vacuum, or have wild wonderful sex. Anything to dissipate the case of nerves that can build up when you have too much time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 4108/06/2014

Wild wonderful sex would have been nice. Time to get up! Hoping I can drive safely, speak coherently etc.

by Anonymousreply 4208/06/2014

Nice humble-bragging, r40.

by Anonymousreply 4308/06/2014

Anyone heard yet? Are you back OP?

by Anonymousreply 4408/06/2014

OP didn't get the job and is homeless.

by Anonymousreply 4508/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.