Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

CNN's Soledad O'Brien faces Uncertain Future

[quote]CNN KICKS SOLEDAD TO DA CURB…NEW BOSS HIRES & FIRES 6 FOLKS IN 48 HOURS!

January 29th, 2013

RedState’s Erick Erickson was axed, political power couple Mary Matalin and James Carville have also been given the boot. CNN’s managing editor Mark Whitaker resigned while Oscar nominee James Earl Jones has been rehired to say “This is CNN” greeting.

Soledad O’Brien’s position on “Starting Point” is kapooot while ABC’s Chris Cuomo is switching to the network to start a new morning show and is expected to be teamed up with Erin Burnett who currently hosts CNN’s nighttime program.

Less than two weeks after officially taking the reigns at CNN, Jeff Zucker announced his second hire: ABC News’s “20/20 co-anchor Chris Cuomo, who will host a new morning show for the ratings starved cable news network.

O’Brien anchored the morning show for only a year but ratings stayed in the toilet. She’s getting dropped even after saying she was glad Zucker was tapped to take over the struggling network. That’s gotta hurt!

BMS has learned that Soledad has 2 choices: 1) Take what they give her which is likely a reporter job on specials or 2) We’ll pay the remaining of your $4Million dollar a year contract.

“Chris is an accomplished anchor who is already an established name in morning television, as well as a widely respected investigative journalist,” said CNN worldwide prez Zucker. “What I love about Chris is that he is passionate about every story he tells, never forgets about the viewer, and represents the type of journalism that makes CNN great

Cuomo was ABC’s “Good Morning America” news anchor from ‘06-’09.

The network did not address reports Cuomo will co-host with Erin Burnett, who currently anchors a CNN primetime show. That might be considered a demotion except Zucker’s a guy who knows a thing or two about morning news TV – he exec produced NBC’s “Today” for a decade – one of the show’s good decades.

Cuomo’s the second piece of ABC News on-air talent CNN has grabbed since Zucker signed to become president of the cable news network; Jake Tapper jumped from ABC, where he was senior White House correspondent, to headline a CNN show. (Tapper made his CNN debut last week on the net’s “The Situation Room.”)

Cuomo’s hire comes just days after Zucker announced he’d signed longtime ESPN reporter Rachel Nichols to anchor a new weekend sports program on the cable news net. Making that announcement, Zucker said Nichols is “an important step in expanding the range of programming and storytelling on CNN.”

by Anonymousreply 7701/31/2013

She's one of the only liberals on CNN, R1.

Is that why you want her gone?

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

Soledad has been the ONLY one on CNN calling out conservative bullshit and challenging them. I don't care how obnoxious she is to some people, I give her tons of credit for actually doing her job as a reporter.

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

Soledad was the only real journalist the network had. MSNBC needs to scoop her up pronto!

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

being black in America

being black in America

being black in America

Why it's time for another being black in America.

Yet they never figured out why her ratings were in the toilet.

Mystifying

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

She's obnoxious with her "I'm really black" bs, when she's 1/2 white, the other is BLATINO, so she's about, what 1/3rd black if that AND has a white husband. That's not "black love", that's exploitation of AA's imho.

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

r2 and r3 are so naive. She invites these conservative loudmouths for their soundbites. If you have Rush Limbaugh on your show, you know exactly what he'll say about Obama or women. That is the very reason why you invited him on. CNN is so gimmicky and Soledad O'Brien employs the same ratings grabber. There is no substance to her show. She invites the idiot John Sununu countless times. He plays his part, and she comes out looking like the voice of reason. It's all a ratings grabber. The interview goes viral.

If she leaves, I don't think she'll be missed. She's better as a reporter than an anchor.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

There are people on CNN who would let Sununu or whoever say anything and then talk about "balance". I don't care about "gimmicks", I just want someone to tell Republicans they're full of shit and she's the only one doing it at CNN.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

She did it for ratings. Not for the public good. Not to inform the public. It is like so many "news" show on CNN: light on information and heavy on gimmicks. You don't need CNN to tell you that Sununu was full of shit. His comments alone is self-explanatory. So why give him the time?

Two people yelling at each other is theatre. Not news. Wasn't this the reason why "Crossfire" was yanked after Jon Stewart's appearance in which he smacked Tucker Carlson down? That was 2004 and CNN still didn't learn its lesson.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

They can fire everyone at CNN--except for Carol Costello. I love her. She's the best news anchor on the air. Cheers for Carol!

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

r9, it doesn't matter what her motives were. The fact is, she did it, and we're better for it.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

If you say so...

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

Exactly R11.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

r10 = Carol Costello

Soledad was the best thing going on CNN in a long time. She was just starting to build up their morning show which has sucked ass forever.

And CNN, please stop trying to foist Erin Burnett upon us. Erin had her chance with her own program and it tanked. She, like Erica Hill are just average news reporters. They belong on local news affiliates reporting on home invasions. Stop trying to sell them to us like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

[quote]She did it for ratings. Not for the public good.

I disagree with you. The evidence does not support your contention. You could tell Soledad legitimately gets offended by right-wing Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

She's going to change her name to Multidad and be back bigger than ever!

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

How will I know who's black in America?

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

Come back to MSNBC, Soledad. Give them an excuse to cancel "The Cycle."

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

Her covering the Black in America specials always bothered me, she's only "black" when it benefits her. She's only black for an hour at a time, and that's when the specials are on. Spare me.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

I truly hope Erin Burnett goes down in flames. As in I hope she literally dies in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

This woman is a idiot, near the territory of Ashleigh Banfield idiocy, (who can't be long for CNN herself).

They need to let her go, or tuck her away over at that Joy Behar network.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Ashleigh Banfield is a Dem. She supported Obama in one of the previous elections.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

She is terrible - unprofessional, snarky, not credible.

I have a friend who has been on Soledad's morning panel discussions a few time. She said Soledad isn't very smart and a total bitch

But she was dropped because her ratings sucked.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

This is some bullshit!!

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

R5 = racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

I like Soledad.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

I was talking to a woman at work who is part of an industry association that hired Soledad last year as a keynote speaker, to the tune of $50k.

Apparently, she arrived in what looked like upscale sweats with her hair in a ponytail and basically only talked about herself, the "story" of her heroic rise through the ranks.

The group was really put off by her and felt fleeced.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

Never, ever liked Soledad, her inane and offensive "Black in America" specials, and her always being trotted out as the Voice of Black America when that bitch is a quadroon with a white husband.

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

LOL! What a loser. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

[quote]that bitch is a quadroon with a white husband.

lol!

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

When they were doing Black in America would it have hurt to find a host that was actually black?

Bitch is white. Lives a white life. White husband. Snow white children. Typical media elite baloney.

Soledad is about as "diverse" as a channel like CNN or MSNBC gets. i.e. 95% white at all times.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

No, R31, MSNBC does not belong on your hate list.

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

LMAO, r28. I can hear the vocal snap from here.

Of course, the real problem is whoever thought it was a great idea in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

Wasn't one of her "Black in America" tomes online in print about the fact that she has a white husband, white children, and is about 1/4 or less black? I'm pretty sure she was BITCHING at the black community at that one saying that the black community gives her shit about it. They're right.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

Cuomo will add nothing. GMA didn't hit number one until after he left. So far with the exception of shit canning Mary matlin, all his choices are uninspired.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

Privileged heiferoon.

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

She's half black asshole. What's funny is the way some of you are writing, I know you're probably black and color/hair-struck to the core. I've seen her kids, one looks like her husband (so she'll get some of that great white privilege you want for yourselves) and the others look like Soledad, mixed. So what of it?

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

Her kids all look white, don't kid yourself. Ain't no one looking at those kids would guess they're anything other than white. And by the standards of their parents' genetic profiles they're about 95% correct.

Soledad herself is a patently phony minority" (of course there aren't actually many white people in the world overall, so maybe she *Is* a minority); she looks like she goes to a tanning salon. There's no way she's "black".

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

I just find it funny when people who have very little african american blood try to speak for the entire community when they know they wouldn't want black kids. Her ugly ass husband is proof that she doesn't want to be black in America.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

For r37. LOOK at the link. Do those children look MIXED? I think NOT. She chose a white man to be with. How is she all about "black in america" when she's not interested in being black in America?

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2013

Wouldn't "Barely Black In America" have been a better concept for her series? What is it like, in America, for people who are barely black and in fact look white? How do they cope with constantly being mistaken for white when they, in fact, have a small amount of black ancestry? Not exactly a riveting subject, but at least it's one she could speak about with authority.

by Anonymousreply 4101/31/2013

She also had work done on her face to make her look more white. Look at her as a child. This is someone with a "european" nosejob amongst other things.

by Anonymousreply 4201/31/2013

Well, I hate her, but her kids are precious.

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2013

Fuck her and the kids.

by Anonymousreply 4401/31/2013

No more Matalin and Carville is a wonderful thing, as is the demise of Bay Buchanan.

I loathe Chris Cuomo ever since he lambasted those who spoke against Andrew .

by Anonymousreply 4501/31/2013

I love it that black posters are all for attacking Soledad because she isn't black enough yet do everything they can to get threads deleted of other black celebrities because they don't want to read the critical feedback.

I think Soledad is best suited to reporting not anchoring. I don't think CNN will solve it's morning ratings problem with Chris Cuomo and Erin Burnett. I could be wrong. CNN has had a long string of morning anchors who couldn't produce friendly rapport with each other including Soledad when she co-hosted with Miles O'Brien and later Ashleigh Banfield. Erin actually had a successful show on CNBC that she co-anchored with an older guy. Chris reminds me of Bill Hemmer in that he has tunnel vision and is solely focused doing his job. You have to listen to your co-achor and respond to them and produce friendly banter. You can't just read off a prompter. You have to work as a team.

by Anonymousreply 4601/31/2013

I am biracial and I find her Black in America series insulting. Not to mention the one that focused on mixed race people. I think Soledad was working out her issues with that one. The tragic mulatto story needs to die.

by Anonymousreply 4701/31/2013

Chris Cuomo seems kind of dull - I've seen him every now and then and there's nothing all that interesting about him.

Don't like Banfield, if she's a Dem, she's doing her job as a reporter disguising it because she's always bashing them and propping up conservatives.

[quote]What is it like, in America, for people who are barely black and in fact look white?

I have relatives like this, you'd never know they were black.

by Anonymousreply 4801/31/2013

Bring back cross-eyed Bobbie Batista!

by Anonymousreply 5001/31/2013

R49 You're just trying to twist what I wrote to change the subject. I wrote critical feedback not dislike. Why is it ok for black posters to attack Soledad because she's mostly white (and state it's because she's mostly white and married to a white man) then turn around and post racial slurs in black-related threads to get them deleted so no one talks about them negatively in front of white people?

by Anonymousreply 5101/31/2013

How will this impact Don Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2013

Soledad is a treasure trove of guts and talent.

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2013

No one's even mentioned him in the whole scenario yet.

by Anonymousreply 5601/31/2013

I'd like to see Erin Burnett removed from prime time.

The article says CNN may give her a morning show, instead of her nightly 7:00 pm eastern time slot called Outfront.

I liked Erin when she was with CNBC and commented solely on financial and business matters.

But when CNN suddenly made her an expert on all areas of news and knowledge, it was too much.

She seems ridiculous compared to someone like Eliot Spitzer who has vast knowledge and experience. CNN very wrongly let Spitzer go and canceled his prime time news discussion show. He most recently has had his own show on Al Gore's Current channel.

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2013

Erin Burnett needs to be removed from earth period.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2013

r44 has serious issues.

And probably has posted on this thread 8-10 different times.

We get it. You don't like her pale color, her white husband or her white looking kids.

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2013

She's fabulous. I hope this is just a bump in her career.

(And where are these trolls like r44 coming from?)

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2013

She's fantastic, she'll land on both feet somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 6201/31/2013

I'd like to know more about the SGL movement too, please.

by Anonymousreply 6301/31/2013

SGL = same gender loving

by Anonymousreply 6401/31/2013

Thanks, r64.

by Anonymousreply 6501/31/2013

[quote]Don't like Banfield, if she's a Dem, she's doing her job as a reporter disguising it because she's always bashing them and propping up conservatives.

Isn't Banfield on record as having donated money to Obama in 2008? I think we had a thread here about it a while back.

by Anonymousreply 6601/31/2013

This thread doesn't have a single thing to do with her abilities as a journalist. It's all about her race. What does that have to do with anything? If Anderson Cooper gets fired, will the conversation be only about who he sleeps with?

by Anonymousreply 6701/31/2013

Well Anderson is a whore so who he sleeps with will get talked about regardless if he gets fired or not from CNN. He should be fired for being a piss poor excuse for a journalist.

Back to Soledad. CNN needs to keep her. She's about the only person on CNN that holds people accountable and calls republicans out on their bs. She's a good interviewer and doesn't let people get away with crap. Putting her on at 10pm might work. I just hope she stays with CNN.

by Anonymousreply 6801/31/2013

[quote]Well Anderson is a whore so who he sleeps with will get talked about regardless if he gets fired or not from CNN.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 6901/31/2013

R28, How could she be a quadroon when her mother is Black? Jackass!

by Anonymousreply 7001/31/2013

"Soledad On Ice"

by Anonymousreply 7101/31/2013

Notice that after R25 calls R5 ( a person who appears to have a problem with both Soledad and her series Black in America) a racist the trolling begins? I'm Creole and probably a shade or two darker than Soledad with blue eyes; my two sisters are around her skin color with blue and green eyes and we've never had a problem being Black in America. Fortunately, we come in a wide variety of skin colors and we aren't required to be 100% black in order to embrace that heritage ( or any heritage). Whatever your problem is with Soledad and her series, you don't get to decide who is black enough in America.

by Anonymousreply 7201/31/2013

amen, r72!

by Anonymousreply 7301/31/2013

[quote]She's obnoxious with her "I'm really black" bs, when she's 1/2 white, the other is BLATINO, so she's about, what 1/3rd black if that

I hope you're not a professional logician.

How can being 1/2 black make her 1/3 black?

by Anonymousreply 7401/31/2013

R68 sounds like a lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 7501/31/2013

Really? People trying to figure out percentages of white and black?

Are we in nineteen fucking fifty seven or something?

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT.

She may be a mediocre anchor, but she does know how to insist on an answer during an interview. That's the only thing most of us give a fucking shit about.

by Anonymousreply 7601/31/2013

Looks like Anderson is staying.

CNN will never fire him, and we should stop worrying about it.

by Anonymousreply 7701/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.