Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Study: White Evangelical Christians Are Paranoid, Delusional

This is great... a must-read:

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2013

No wonder so many of them are gun-nuts... they're paranoid and delusional too.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

It's hardly news that they consider themselves "persecuted" if they are prevented from persecuting others.

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

Every single one I've known has had this pointed out to them and is fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

From the link:

We've all heard the whining. From Louis Giglio to contraception, no issue is too small to gin up the whine that white evangelicals are persecuted at the hands of "culture" or alternatively, gay people. Yes, to listen to white evangelicals mule about things is to hear about how gays and lesbians are driving this country into a degenerate downward spiral while the black guy in the White House facilitates.

All of which makes this Barna Group study fascinating:

[quote]The findings of a poll published Wednesday (Jan. 23), reveal a “double standard” among a significant portion of evangelicals on the question of religious liberty, said David Kinnaman, president of Barna Group, a California think tank that studies American religion and culture.

[quote]While these Christians are particularly concerned that religious freedoms are being eroded in this country, “they also want Judeo-Christians to dominate the culture,” said Kinnamon.

[quote]“They cannot have it both ways,” he said. “This does not mean putting Judeo-Christian values aside, but it will require a renegotiation of those values in the public square as America increasingly becomes a multi-faith nation.”

Patheos notes the particular disconnect on what these folks define as religious freedom:

[italic]Well, they say there are numerous examples [of persecution], and then pick three:

1.The brouhaha over Louie Giglio and the Inauguration.

2.The contraception mandate in the Affordable Care Act.

3.The demise of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA.

Of these three, exactly none are “religious freedom” issues.

They are, without exception, religious primacy issues.

None of these impact, in any measurable way, the ability of the Conservative Christian community to practice their faith openly and without fear of persecution in the United States. [/italic]

Bingo. White evangelical Christians have confused their desire to use their religion as a bludgeon against everyone else in society as "persecution." Because they have been accorded power by the cynical right wing of the country (who doesn't really give a damn about their values but needs their votes), they translate that into a giant national whine about how Christians are persecuted, largely at the hands of gay people.

Yet when they're asked whether other religions such as Islam and Judaism should have the right to exist and practice their faiths, they answer "no" with a resounding majority, serving up a large portion of evangelical hypocrisy with their whine.

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

Agreed they are paranoid and delusional but of the three issues contraceptive provision under the affordable care act is a Catholic not Protestant evangelical issue. And more importantly, and inconveniently, does raise real constitutional issues and will be treated seriously by the courts. The work around devised by the Obama administration may pass constitutional muster or it may not. I wouldn't predict at this point. Oh, and I am happy to see health reform pass over all.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

Read my newly-published study, too: Pope is Catholic, Conservative

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

My mom called such behavior, "one-sidedness."

It is seen in any group that declares themselves victims.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

PS -- ***BREAKING*** -- The Sky Is Blue!

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

R5 Protestants have found a way to oppose some birth control, including the pill, by over stretching certain facts. First, they believe the very second an egg is fertilized, life has begun. Second, even though the pill prevents ovulation, it can also be used to prevent a fertilized egg successfully implanting in the womb. When the primary, and not very well hidden, motivation to opposing birth control is to control women, any excuse, including that it is tantamount to abortion, will be used.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

I think the author meant "mewl" not "mule."

"Yes, to listen to white evangelicals mule about things …."

Can I get a witness?!

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

There is no "real" Constitutional issue. The religious rights of the patient take precedence over the regigious scruples of the care provider. That's been true in the USA for a hundred years and has passed numerous constitutional tests.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

Smart societies embrace gay people as they understand that they will not be burdening the system with unwanted and unplanned children. Gays also have more expendable income which equals prosperity for business owners.

If you look at downtrodden societies and neighborhoods, you will see a lack of gay influence. When gays flee do to persecution, they take money, taste, civility, and education with them.

It's so simple its stupid, but take a good look at those who judge gays--they are largely the most unattractive, illiterate and less fashionable toads out there.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

Please -- as if we didn't already know.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

Of course right-wing nutballs are paranoid, they believe God is watching and judging everything they do, waiting for a chance to condemn them to eternal hellfire. Can you imagine living your life with that kind of fear? It'd make you crazy, too.

Most of their irrational actions are an attempt to paciry their terrible God, to protect themselves from his wrath. It's a form of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

R15, how is it inaccurate? How is it an exaggeration? The facts seem clear to me.

C&L isn't part of the problem, people like you are.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

Not really R17. They say they believe that shit, but they're lying.

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

They are

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

R15 this is a thread about white evangelicals. They are subset all their own and generalizing about them is not the same as generalizing about all religions.

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

In other news, water is wet.

But why only WHITE evangelicals? And why only christian? ALL religious kooks are bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

ITA r23.

But it's good to take the worst, most empowered and most dangerous of them all down a peg.

by Anonymousreply 2402/02/2013

If you think the WECs are "the worst" moreso than muslims who mutilate little girls or asians who selectively abort females then you're in need of some education, r24. Going at it from a racist angle won't help anything.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

When the only way to salvage WECs is to compare them to terrorists, selectively aborting parents, and genital mutilators, that's still pretty bad, r25.

I doubt the results of the study would have been much different had it included black evangelicals, but I didn't design the study, churchy, so I can't be blamed for its method or be called a "racist" (wtf?) because they were left out.

Evangelicals are a paranoid and delusional nationalistic, tyrannical blight who don't deserve the secular humanist democracy they were born into. It's an enormous, insoluble problem for democracy: what to do when so many are anti-democratic, unreasonable, unpersuadable religious morons?

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

Nobody's trying to salvage anyone. Why is it so many americans can only think in terms of white and black? If you hope to selectively take one racial group "down a peg" you're revealing not only your own prejudices but you're also just doing what they like to do (to the gays, for instance.)

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

[quote] stunned at the number of gays who vote republican

False equivalency. I'm not arguing for any laws which would discriminate disfavor or disadvantage them in any way. And being evangelical is a chosen belief system, not an immutable or neutral characteristic like race or sexuality, which tells you nothing about someone's belief system. I can reject discrimination against gays, but still point out the errors in the belief systems of fascists, evangelicals, and many other groups. It is not "the same thing."

Like I said, i didn't design the study so blaming me for its methodology seems... odd.

And yes, evangelicals who seek to control the government while whining that they're being discriminated against deserve to be called out and taken down a peg.

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

Oops . Quoted from another discussion on another thread. The quote above should read:

[quote]but you're also just doing what they like to do

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2013

marked by militant or crusading zeal

from the Latin meaning bringing good news

It is about conversion, not collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2013

It's about a pathological mind-virus trying to spread itself to more bodies. Evangelical religion is a disease. A mental virus.

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2013

They believe America was founded as a Christian nation, so their religion, and only their religion should set the tone for the country.

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2013

They are delusional

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 3504/19/2013

Stating the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 3604/19/2013

Did the findings of this study appear in The New England Journal of the Obvious?

by Anonymousreply 3704/19/2013

r23 because there are more of them, and more of them in positions of power in this country.

Orthodox Jews and Orthodox Christians are batshit crazy/stupid/awful too, but they only make up a very tiny sliver of the population and they don't hold positions of power over LARGE numbers of people.

by Anonymousreply 3804/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 3904/20/2013

Almost every very religious person I know is deeply conflicted and unhappy in his or her personal life. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!