Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

John Kerry confirmed as Secretary of State, 94-3

January 29th, 2013

CNN Political Unitt

Washington (CNN) – John Kerry was overwhelmingly confirmed Tuesday as the 68th secretary of state by his colleagues in the U.S. Senate.

The vote was 94-3, with Republican Senators John Cornyn, Ted Cruz and James Inhofe voting no. Kerry voted present on his own nomination.

Earlier in the day he received the nod of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The panel approved his nomination unanimously by a voice vote.

Kerry submitted his resignation letter to Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, saying he resigns his seat effective Friday at 4 p.m.

Kerry, the longtime senator from Massachusetts and 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, has served on the committee for decades and was the panel's chairman the past four years.

President Barack Obama last month nominated Kerry to succeed outgoing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as the country's top diplomat.

In a statement, he said, "I am pleased that the Senate has confirmed John Kerry as our next secretary of state with overwhelming bipartisan support. From his decorated service in Vietnam to his decades in the Senate as a champion of American global leadership, John's distinguished career has prepared him to guide American diplomacy in the years ahead.

"John has earned the respect of leaders around the world and the confidence of Democrats and Republicans in the Senate, and I am confident he will make an extraordinary secretary of state," Obama continued. "I look forward to his counsel and partnership in the years ahead as we ensure American leadership in the world and advance the interests and values that keep our nation strong."

Patrick, who will appoint a temporary successor to the seat, said in a statement that he thanks "Senator Kerry for his decades of service to the people of Massachusetts.

"From his days as lieutenant governor to his nearly thirty years in the United States Senate, he has been our steadfast champion," Patrick said. "I know that he will bring the dedication, intelligence, and passion to his new role that he brought to representing Massachusetts. We are sad to lose him as our senator, but excited about and grateful for his service to the nation on the international stage."

Democrat Elizabeth Warren, a Massachusetts freshman who becomes the state's senior senator with his resignation, said, "John Kerry is a true statesman, and he will be an extraordinary Secretary of State. His experience as a Navy lieutenant, veteran, prosecutor, Lieutenant Governor, Senator, and Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee uniquely qualifies him to represent the people of the United States around the world. I was proud to cast my vote – and I am excited to call him Mr. Secretary."

Decmoratic Rep. Ed Markey, the only declared candidate so far for Kerry's seat, praised him, saying: "Americans can be confident that John Kerry is the most qualified, knowledgeable, and passionate person to represent our interests around the world. Going from Hillary Clinton to John Kerry at the State Department is like the Red Sox going from Ted Williams to Carl Yastrzemski, both possessing hall of fame talent and passion for the job.

Kerry has served in the U.S. Senate since 1984.

Kerry's confirmation makes him the first new member of Obama's second-term cabinet to be installed. Obama has also nominated candidates to lead the departments of defense and treasury.

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

I wish him the best

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

You're a whore, OP.

by Anonymousreply 201/30/2013

He has 3 haters what's that about?

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

R3, John Kerry got almost as unanimous a vote from the Republicans as you're going to see. You can't expect any nominee to get all votes in favor. There will always be a few Teabaggers who refuse to vote for whoever the nominee is.

And you can expect that when it's time for Chuck Hagel's vote in February that he will have a lot more votes against him than Kerry did today.

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

Kerry was always the poor cousin trying everything to gain a fortune to match that of those who paid for Yale

Such people will do anything to win, not what is right and good, but parity.

The widow Heinz was just a small part of that, which says how far he will go. Think of his not asking for a recount in Ohio -- he wanted to continue currting favor with his Skull and Bones betters.

I don't like people like that -- they scare me.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

Kerry will bring peace to the Middle East by boring them all to death.

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

I've never much liked him, but do give him credit for standing up against DOMA back in 1996 (unlike, say, Babs Mikulski), though he tried to run away from that in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

Another white guy gets a job, news at 11.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

"Republican Senators John Cornyn, Ted Cruz and James Inhofe voting no."

Mark my words, Ted Cruz will make Marco Rubio seem moderate.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

R8, John Kerry is the first white guy to be Secretary of State in nearly 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

Scott Brown announced today that he's not seeking Kerry's seat. Some think that Brown will run for Governor.

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

R8 won't be happy until affirmative action hires are fucking e everything up.

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

I won't even comment on two of the longer-tenured asshole senators who voted no (they may have their reasons after working with Kerry); however, what the fuck is Ted Cruz's problem with John Kerry? Cruz has only been in Washington, DC for all of five minutes?

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

New Foreign Policy: Bore other countries to death so they leave us alone

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

[quote]Scott Brown announced today that he's not seeking Kerry's seat.

Link please, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

The story broke hours ago, r15. There are already several threads.

Let me spank you now.

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

I'm not very excited about John Kerry in any role. He just gives off this elitist vibe. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

When Scott Brown was asked about rumors that he plans to run for Governor, he replied, "Whatevs! LOLz!"

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

Oh great so first we had Hillary "I've fallen and I can't get up" Clinton and now we get Herman Munster.

The guy is such a loser. I mean Kerry couldn't even beat GW Bush who was the worst president in history, except for Jimmy Carter and Buchanan.

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.