Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do the lyrics to "I'll Plant My Own Tree" even mean?

I’ll plant my own tree and I’ll make it grow.

My tree will not be just one in a row.

My tree will offer shade when strangers go by.

If you’re a stranger, brother, well so am I.

by Burke Lyonreply 2502/03/2013

"The Previns don't know how to write for me..."

by Burke Lyonreply 101/29/2013

It's beautifully meaningless.

by Burke Lyonreply 201/29/2013

"It's my yard So I will try hard To welcome friends I've yet to know! Oh, I'll plant my own tree. My! Own! Tree!"

She's staking her claim to a particular location in life.

by Burke Lyonreply 301/29/2013

Whaddya mean, "mean?"

Wordsh don't hafta have meaning!

by Burke Lyonreply 401/29/2013

I want to know what was up with that psychedelic mobile that Susan Hayward had to duck and weave around as she pretended to sing.

by Burke Lyonreply 501/29/2013

It's middle-aged for 'make your own kind of music, play your own special song"

by Burke Lyonreply 601/29/2013

It's quite one-dimensional and direct in meaning.

by Burke Lyonreply 701/30/2013

I'll show you what they mean, dickbreath. I'm the only person who ever made those lyrics make any sense.

by Burke Lyonreply 801/30/2013

Her yard sounds sort of barren, with only one tree.

And ALL that she'll see is her one tree? Does she live in a wasteland or something?

by Burke Lyonreply 901/30/2013

The song actually uses a piece of Marxist-Leninist symbolism to advocate for political revolution and the dictatorship of the proletariat.

Helen may NOT have been completely ignorant of the couched metaphorical meaning as most people assume; she did go through a brief flirtation with American leftist politics, right before she threw herself into the Sutras.

by Burke Lyonreply 1001/30/2013

It's just an abstract song that says something like "I'm an individual, I'll do my own thing, I'll independent and I'll do whatever I want and I don't need anybody else to tell me what to do. I'm LIBERATED!"

by Burke Lyonreply 1101/30/2013

Content dictates form, bitch.

by Burke Lyonreply 1201/30/2013

what the hell was Hit the Sky about anyway?

by Burke Lyonreply 1301/30/2013

thats why the number gets cut out of town

by Burke Lyonreply 1401/30/2013

R8 -- then it's a song for lesbians?

by Burke Lyonreply 1501/30/2013

More importantly, why wasn't anyone fired for not cleaning off all the handprints on said mobile?

by Burke Lyonreply 1601/30/2013

The mobile was supposed to be an abstract "tree."

She was singing about being an independent woman bravely making her own way in life, the way Helen herself had and Anne, Neely and Jennifer were setting out to do.

by Burke Lyonreply 1701/30/2013

The "tree" is symbolism for "penis."

In other words, she'll find the cock she wants to fuck, and "I'll make it grow" - it will be a huge one, not just "one in a row."

When it's reached its full girth - "Lord, what a sight!"

It's all about how, as an independent woman, she knows she can get dick, and it doesn't matter what man it's attached to - they are only sexual toys to her. That's why she says, in the bathroom scene - "I've got a man waiting for me." She doesn't even know his name, he's just a fucktoy.

by Burke Lyonreply 1801/30/2013

R18 wins!

by Burke Lyonreply 1901/30/2013

What the fuck is with the pained rictus and wide-eyed terror Lena Horne shows us while she's singing? Is someone restraining Miss Lawson off camera?

by Burke Lyonreply 2001/30/2013

It means you're gay.

by Burke Lyonreply 2101/30/2013

I like this thread and want to see it continue, so while we're on this song (which Entertainment Weekly once called "the worst song in the world" in a DVD review of DOLLS) let's catalog all the people who have recorded it.

I have heard recordings by:

1) Judy Garland (before she left the film)

2) Margaret Whiting (dubbing in the actual film)

3) Eileen Wilson (on the soundtrack album)

4) Lena Horne (on the Dean Martin show, above)

5) Patty Duke (on her album of DOLLS covers)

6) Tony Scotti (on his album "Starring Tony Scotti" which has 3 DOLLS covers)

7) David Pascucci (a cabaret singer who did an all-Previn album--nice to have all those songs in one place)

Any others you DL DOLLS-lovers know of?

Here's Patty, btw.

by Burke Lyonreply 2202/03/2013

What about the song "A Whiter Shade of Pale"? What does that one mean?

by Burke Lyonreply 2302/03/2013

A musical protest against her homeowner association's forced use of professionals and uniformity of landscaping.

by Burke Lyonreply 2402/03/2013

Good question R23.

I wish they'd remake, "Valley of The Dolls." The script could actually be faithful to the book now that it's 2013. What a different movie it would be. I came across it all, the book, the movie and the, in my opinion, hilarious, fun, moving "Isn't She Great" movie (why isn't it out on Blu-ray!?!) just a few years ago. I was born in the 70's. Jacqueline Susann must have been a breath of fresh air in the Conservative pop-culture of her day.

(By "Conservative," I mean in particular it's representation, even acknowledgment-or lack thereof-of gays.)

by Burke Lyonreply 2502/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.