Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think stupidity and ignorance are glorified?

Why is it that nowadays potheads are seen as cool, and "cool" low-lives are revered. Back in the day, people with the best grades were the ones who were hoisted onto a pedestal.

by Anonymousreply 5205/22/2014

When was this exactly? There's always been "cool" kids who went outside the norm and weren't studious.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

YES! That is all that is on TV now. It was not always like this.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

In my high school in the 80s, potheads were called just that and considered slackers and losers. Now weed seems far more socially acceptable. I can remember some of the popular kids getting caught smoking weed and having to live it down.

I think we should have smoked more weed in high school. We would have been far more relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

Michele Bachmann has been reelected three times. THREE TIMES. Talk about glorifying stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Listen to any of Toby Keith's songs, or other country artists who have lyrics that basically say, "I don't know nuthin bout government, don't have a college degree, but I know my lord Jesus, and that's all I need." Translation: blind faith in invisible deities is more important than dealing with any real-world problems.

I am college-educated and I read the news. I have critical thinking skills and understand logic. I cannot tell you how many times I have been told I am "too smart for my own good" because I recognize fault in someone's argument. We live in this namby-pamby world where you MUST respect everyone's opinions. 15 years ago, Michele Bachmann would have been considered a fucking "fringe" nutjob candidate. Now she taken seriously by the media. It's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

Basic Idiocracy. More of 'em out there now to sing the praises of the other ones. Potheads still bore the shit out of me though.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

It's easier to be stupid, lazy, and ignorant. Not much is expected of you and you can perform at the lowest level of intelligence. People will defend you as unfortunate, disadvantaged. I learned early that playing dumb was a way to get out of situations but once I passed the "dumb and cute" phase, that didn't work if I wanted to be treated like an adult. I'm guessing it's this point in life many people either decide to be a smart adult or blissfully ignorant. Then there are those who were taught by ignorant parents to use the dumbass card and hope for the best.

I know most here despise facebook but the posts are telling. It's more than they're vs their. People are really stupid. The youngins seems to think it's ok to be dumb. As long as you get their gist, spelling is a waist err...waste of time.

The stupid kids I grew up with, in the same situation I was in (poor, oppressive,) didn't go far and when they came into money, they spent it. They work at menial jobs and pay rent. The smart kids went to school, struggled as young adults and own homes now.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

Stupidity and ignorance have always been glorified to some degree, at least among the young.

I've read 19th century boys' school stories, and even then the carefree "sportsmen" were the cool kids, and the studious smart kids were at the bottom of the social ladder.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

It's all part of the dumbing down of America by vested corporate interests and other "powers that be".

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

The only place I like stupidity is in bed. There is definitely something hot about a slack-jawed nimrod -- the appeal of hustlers, no doubt. As Woody Allen puts it, they come over and you don't have to discuss Proust.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

Even Booby Jindal of Louisiana recently said that republicans need to quit being "the stupid party"--yeah, good luck with that r12, were you sent to be their saviour??

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

It's the too long, didn't read generation

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

Unquestionably. And it's worst among the elites, the university professor class, which is more ruthless about punishing excellence than any other single group in society.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

R17 = more ridiculous hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

This is one of the better places where the theme, "Reublican potheads are increasing the country's plunge toward stupidy," can thrive. R2, you won. You're off the clock.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

I am pretty old, like 50, and I dont remember any "back in the day" when being a good student was cool. Even before my time James Dean was the most famous cool guy and he was not exactly a Nobel prize winner.

Cook guys always were and always will be the outsides of main society.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

Uh, OP pot heads were always the cool bunch in my school, unless you actually believed mom and days speach about good grades are cool. That and find a nice woman some day.

Glee club forget it. The reason that show is funny is because in the real world none of those kids would be cool.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Andy Cohen, Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, Michele Bachmann, Fantasia, Ryan Seacrest, Dubya Bush, Honey Boo Boo, the Lohans, the Palins...

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

Hello ???

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

OP you obviously didn't get good grades in science.

If you did, you would know that Mr. X the unaccredited scientist who wrote the praises of weed as a way to expand your mind was no other then Carl Sagan ( American astronomer, astrophysicist, cosmologist, author).

FYI He also wrote the book Contact that Jodi Foster did the movie about. And he was also an atheist like the character.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

None of those are cool R22, they are popular only because everyone likes watching an accident happen.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

You are a sheep OP, I can tell by your glorification of good grades being cool. They were never the cool kids. Good for you yes, cool, no.

This describes you exactly:

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

[quote]None of those are cool R22, they are popular only because everyone likes watching an accident happen

I wasn't claiming they're "cool," but they're glorified and add to the dumbing down of America. The title of the thread points to stupidity and ignorance being glorified. Perfect examples of that are: Andy Cohen, Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, Michele Bachmann, Fantasia, Ryan Seacrest, Dubya Bush, Honey Boo Boo, the Lohans, the Palins...

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

We heard you the first time R27.

I disagree about Andy Cohen. He is not just a gay TV host, he actually is the creator of these shows like Real House Wives and Queer Eye.

He is a very wealthy successful good looking business man. Do I like his shows? No but that dose not make HIM stupid, just the people who watch.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

You all are stupid because you all watch the Real Housewives of Atlanta. Don't even try to deny it, who do you think their audience IS?

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Things are much worse now. I grew up in the 70's and back then we had much more intelligent shows like Charlie's Angles, The Bionic Woman and her Fembots.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

OP, you are the idiot here. Why are you equating Potheads with ignorance and stupidity? I iknow Potheads who are College Profs and CEO's of big companies and Wall Street millionaires. Get a life, OP, and stop pushing people into boxes your mind can understand.

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

[quote]He is a very wealthy successful good looking business man. Do I like his shows? No but that dose not make HIM stupid, just the people who watch.

Can you comprehend "add to the dumbing down of America"? Both Cohen and Seacrest add to the dumbing down of America with the crap they push on TV audiences. No matter if they're good looking or fugly, intelligent or stupid, their shows are a major contribution to the dumbing down of America.

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

The OP is jealous he never got to pay. He is just realizing what he missed out on now that the world has changed and passed him by.

All those good grades got him was a lonely life sitting in front of the computer posting stupid questions without realizing his question is stupid.

There ARE stupid questions, this is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

[quote] Charlie's Angles

Farrah was divine as Reflex Angle.

I agree that ignorance is glorified, but it's nothing to do with pot use.

What I do hate is when a pothead is stereotyped and it's also glorified. I'm talking about movies were 8 people share one joint and suddenly everybody is eating a bag of cheetos.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

"I agree that the eldergays are utterly ruining this website just as [R16] says... It's so boring.

I'm 43..."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

Just be certain people smoke pot doesn't automatically make them stupid, a prime example is bill gates who had openly admitted to smoking pot a time or two, but that's not what this post is about, I believe ignorance is not only glorified but also preferred by our government because stupid people born to believe that everything is already answered makes t,hem them believe that they must be part of the trend of consumerism in order to be "in" with the norms, its pretty brilliant it makes us always want to buy, buy, and buy making the elite and smarter richer while the majority is simply looked at as ever replaceable pawns.

by Anonymousreply 3705/22/2014

You got THAT right, r2

by Anonymousreply 3805/22/2014

When exactly was "back in the day...." OP? In the 1960s there was nothing cooler than to drop out of college so people could spend all their time smoking pot and dropping acid.

by Anonymousreply 3905/22/2014

In the gay community definitely, gays in their late teens decide if they want to get in with the popular girls to be their GBF then they should act like them.

by Anonymousreply 4005/22/2014

R29...pot 'makes [you] creative'? Oh dear. Proving OP's point.

by Anonymousreply 4105/22/2014

Pot is making everyone 'dumber and dumber'. People, increasingly, are getting high to escape reality, and the pot legalization movement is making it seem that getting stoned is almost sacred.

by Anonymousreply 4205/22/2014

Always was, is now, and forever will be.

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2014

Marry me, R24.

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2014

We are living in a trash culture right now! Pretty awful indded.

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2014

OP are you that creepy Canadian narc with the neighbor who works at Target?

by Anonymousreply 4605/22/2014

I saw the "Survivor starts tonight, bitches!" thread, and then I saw this thread. It seemed apt.

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2014

Remember where "the best and the brightest" got us?

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2014

Yes, OP, I do. In normal conversations with people I don't know well, I disguise my knowledge of the world around me so as to not upset or confuse others who seem to take affront when encountering something they don't immediately understand

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2014

Back in the day, cigarette smoking was not only considered cool, it was encouraged. So get off your high horse about pot smokers, old man. Your generation was no better.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2014

In the case of Woo, yes

by Anonymousreply 5105/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.