Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dealing with a difficult mother

Do you have a difficult mother. I just finished dinner and I was slightly unhappy when my mother decided to rewash the dishes that I [I]just[/I] washed. When you are with her, everything you do is wrong or imperfect and everything she does is perfect. I honestly hope that one day I can move away from her.

Oh my god, and I partially blame her for the state I am currently in. For most of my childhood and adolescent, she closed me off from the world and put me in a cage.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

So move out!

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

My mother in law does the same thing to me when she comes to visit. Rewashes or recleans anything I did. Strange that she's been single for thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

But is she pluperfect?

In all seriousness, Joe, you have to tell us certain things:

1. Your age 2. Job/school situation 3. Why are you still there

Then you'll get some advice, hugs, or a kick in the pants.

Your turn.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

Is this you Connor?

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

R3 1. 20 2. I'm still in college, and I've never had a job. 3. I'm in college, and I can't support myself.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Are you a sloppy dishwasher?

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

If you can't support yourself you have a nerve bitching about your mother. She could kick you out if she wanted. Your an adult. School or no. Time to support yourself and stop bitching about mom. You have bigger fish to fry than your mothers personality.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

Did she literally put you in a cage or just figuratively do so?

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

You're not 20, OP.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

r9, yes I am.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

r8 figuratively i.e. I wasn't really allowed outside our apartment that much growing up.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

r7 thanks for the advice.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

OP you are lucky only your mom does this. Every relative who visits me does a variation of this. I let them entertain themselves and put my life back in order once they have gone.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Have you considered renting an apartment with some of your buddies from college? When I was in college, ten years ago, I had a blast living with my friends, and we were typically college messy.

My rent was $160 and a quarter of the bills--all in all, I think it was $200, but I paid less because I was the only one with a car and would give everyone a lift to campus in the morning.

You could easily cover a room of an apartment with a part-time job.

While you're with your mom, why don't you dream up your exit plan. First, get a weekend job so you can put away at least two thousand. Then start looking for a place.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

Then get a job while going to school, and move out. You know, like a grown up.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

Sorry Op did not see the part about still living at home.

If you are under 18 get a job and save money to either go away to college or move out when you are of age.

If, as you say, your mom really has caged you, she has some real problems that will affect you as an adult. Find a therapist who can help you sort through your resultant issues.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

There's not much do be done, while you're financially dependent on your mother. As long as she's paying your way through school and giving you room and board, you have to put up with a lot of annoying behavior. Of course you can bring up little things like re-doing the dishes, and ask how you can avoid duplicated effort like that in the future.

The one thing I will advise is to get a job, any job! You'll presumably be hitting the job market in a few years, unless you're in some rarified field you really do want some work experience on your resume, and some reference who will say that you showed up and did what you were told. Plus even a part-time job will give you a little independence, and savings towards your own place.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

I had a very difficult relationship with both of my parents. I left their home at 18, as soon as I finished high school and got a job. At first I did not intend to maintain contact or have anything to do with them, but they were the only parents I had. I settled in to a visit to their home on rare occasions, as well as my attendance at any family event including the two family reunions (her family at Thanksgiving, and his family on the 4th of July). The reunions and events at meeting halls of some sort were always easier. I always visited the hospital if either of them were sick or had surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

My mother is a C-U-N-T.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!