Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Teen Taken Off Life Support After Hanging Himself On Playground

A gay Oregon teen was taken off of life support after hanging himself in the playground of a local elementary school.

Komo News reports that 15-year-old Jadin Bell attempted suicide by climbing on a playground structure and hanging himself. Family friend Bud Hill, who said his considered Bell his nephew, told the news station that the high school sophomore had been the victim of intense bullying both in person and on the Internet because he was gay.

"He was different, and they tend to pick on the different ones," Hill told the news station. He remembered Bell fondly: "If someone was down and out he would walk into a room and say a couple quick words and everybody would just forget about their problems and smile. He just had a gift."

The LaGrande Observer reported that over 200 people, including family members and classmates, turned out at a candlelight vigil for Bell last week.

He was remembered as an outgoing member of the LaGrande High School cheerleading squad and a gentle, caring friend.

"He is amazingly sensitive," pal Jody Bullock told the publication. "If he saw a wounded butterfly [as a child] he wanted to heal it ... He is an amazing young man who is smart and very social; he has a persona and a presence that you want to be a part of."

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2013

Such a sad story. Rest his soul.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2013

So much for "It gets Better".

I can't believe a guy would ever want to be a cheerleader though

RIP Jadin

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2013

[quote] I can't believe a guy would ever want to be a cheerleader though

Ever think these type of comments with a few other words attached might have contributed to his wanting to commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2013

I wish kids would stop doing stuff like this. Why kill yourself? Why not go to a gay help group?

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2013

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2013

Fucking breeders. And the little bastards responsible for this need to be held accountable. As far as I'm concerned it's murder.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2013

yes it is/

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2013

I wonder if his bullies were at the candlelight virgil.

by Anonymousreply 901/30/2013

We assume there are all these resources for at risk kids but they're not--a gay deeply closeted kid would never seek out a gay resource for fear of outing himself by doing so.

There need to be resources at each school that deal directly with the crisis of teen suicide. And they should do so without referring to it as a gay thing so closeted kids don't feel as though they will be outed by seeking help from such resources. A kind of PFLAG that exisits in every school that deals with at-risk suicide teens. This keeps happened and it should not. So damn sad.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2013

Why aren't the kids who bullied him being named and shamed? I agree--why isn't this sort of bullying that leads to suicide treated as a crime?

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

Any kid that is sensitive, different, intelligent, or gay is going to be bullied at school. They are useless places where they just shove kids to get them out of the way. Does anyone really remember learning anything in elementary or high school?

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

The bullies are NEVER punished. The school would have to partially admit responsibility for allowing that to happen. No one really cares. They will just call the kid mentally ill and it will be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

I'm in my 50's but I remember being horribly bullied in 7th grade to the point I was missing lots of school because I got physically ill all the time. I went to the school counselor and he told me to just buck up and take it. I hope schools are better equiped to handle this today. I remember sitting in classrooms being loudly and viciously attacked and the teachers would just act like nothing was happening. My saving grace was during the worse year, my dad's job got transferred and we moved to a place where I could start over. Otherwise I think I would've killed myself.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

I had the unfortunate experience of finding the body of someone who had hung himself on a playground in a city park about a week and a half ago. It is, as R14 said, traumatizing, and reading this article this morning brought it right back into focus.

It's OK to ask for help. And if someone asks you for help - for the love of God, don't ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

R14, if you're cornered by predators out for blood, you're not in a place or mindset to put your best foot forward.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

R3. So right. It gets better. Except when it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

Yup, to be strong R12. But, I realize many are not.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

r19, that is a most articulate summation of this whole problem. "It gets better. Except when it doesn't." Who knows what mental tortures this boy had? Some people are stronger than others to withstand "life," in general. Gay bullying is agony and could certainly drive someone to suicide. Life is hard enough. A dear friend of mine said that being gay is like "little turtles crawling from the sea. Some of us make it and some do not. Some drown on the shore. Some are killed. Some crawl to safety." It should never have to be that way. Each time I read about a gay suicide (of any age) it saddens me deeply. Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

Damn. Such a sweet face.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

[italic]There were more things going on with this kid than schoolyard bullying.

I grew up in rural Mississippi, son of Southern Baptists. I knew what it was like, though I hid myself, I never came out. You didn't come out in the deep south in the early 1980s.

I feel for this kid but this isn't the fucking 1800s, or even 1900s. These suicides have so much more going on than victimization.[/italic]

Thanks Freeper fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

How do they know he hung himself instead of getting a little help from school bullies?

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

"It Gets Better" is all about getting the fuck out of school, the message that it's not going to be forever. That shit ends. You then have more options afterwards. When you're in school, you can't see anything beyond that. It seems like forever with no end in sight. You can do what you want when you get out. The state isn't going to force you to stay in a joint that's basically a prison.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

It's hanged, not hung.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

All these sad gay suicides due to gay bullying and these rich-fucker movie stars won't come out of the closet.

These spoiled, pampered, rich attention-whore celebrities want their privacy (even though we all know who they are) and can't be honest for one fucking day to help change the minds of thier fan base.

Fuck Hollywood celebrities who can't say 'I'm gay" when children are dying from homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

Totally agree with R28.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

It's a class issue. Miss Foster's privacy was given to her by well-paid handlers. A gay male cheerleader in LaGrande, Oregon has no privacy. Only his attackers (and their churches) have that.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

+1 to R24.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

R2, per other threads, you live in South Africa. So "Obamessiah" is neither relevant to this thread nor any of your fucking business, as he promised YOU nothing. So STFU.

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

I'm with r28, and here's a video, again, that illustrates r28's point: It Gets Worse:

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

thank you, r32. DL has long had a small group of south african (white south african) racist posters.

Or maybe it's just one guy....

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

R28 I feel the exact same way.

These teen suicide stories make me sick. The fact is that whether we like it or not, people (especially kids) look up to celebs, and when these closet cases have a platform to make a difference but don't use it because they care more about fame and money, then that's fucking pathetic. If these kids had gay role models to look up to, they wouldn't feel so bad and they would see that you can eventually have a nice life as a gay person.

The best thing we can do is refuse to spend our money on closet cases who want to take from our community but do nothing to contribute to it.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

F&F for the asshole at R36.

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

I don't agree with everything R14 has posted. Parts of that post are fairly heartless.

But I do think s/he has a point about the fact that hanging himself on the playground yard was incredibly cruel too. Suicide is often an act of revenge, and it inflicts incredible pain on people. With this acxt he has undoubtedly traumatized children who never harmed him in any way. This is the aspect of suicide that no one wants to discuss. Suicide is an act of brutality and cruelty too, and a person who commits suicide harms many people. I feel sick thinking about this poor kid, but I also feel sad for the kids who are harmed by his public suicide. It's all the more reason that bullying should be punished, and by that I mean the bullies parents.

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

Was it on a weekend or after school hours?

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

"Thanks Freeper fuck."

This was OR not MS

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2013

Hanging himself in the playgroundwas his last, most powerful protest.

Those kids who bullied him AND those teachers and students who stood by and did nothing -- will never forget that a kid killed himself because of what they did.

And probably for the next 4 or 5 incoming classes they'll still talk about it and think twice about bullying.

Plus, the shock may also hit parents who look closer at their kids who seem withdrawn and scared to go to school and help them.

Suicide is tragic and some say selfish. But this kid --like Tibetan self-immolationists -- left a powerful message with his death.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2013

I feel like the whole "It Gets Better" campaign fails to tell kids that making "it better" actually takes hard work. Yes, high school will end, you'll be free of that nightmare, but where do you go from there? Especially if you're poor in rural America and don't necessarily have the money to run away to college in a liberal enclave. It takes cash to escape, and if that money isn't readily available to you, it's going to be an uphill battle. I feel like a lot of kids realize this, and with no one supporting them, the post-high school future must seem brutal.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2013

[quote]Obamessiah, get off your lazy ass and give us what you promised. Or else.

WTF are you talking about? It's really beyond the pale to blame this on President Obama. You are insane.

by Anonymousreply 4401/30/2013

[quote]I can't believe a guy would ever want to be a cheerleader though.

George W. Bush was a cheerleader.

by Anonymousreply 4501/30/2013

[quote]I hurt for him, but he assumes much of the blame...

You are truly Satanic. Just go die.

by Anonymousreply 4601/30/2013

What was that long video about? It's a half hour of some guy reading from, what, his BLOG? Is that poetry? Performance art? It is painfully "precious" and self-consciously "Aren't I clever."

by Anonymousreply 4701/30/2013

Why should these kids believe anything gets better when so many adults refuse to come out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 4801/30/2013

He was making a protest against his white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 4901/30/2013

R45 there's a good point against it right there.

by Anonymousreply 5001/30/2013

I'm sick at this happening over & over again & nothing changes !!

by Anonymousreply 5101/30/2013

You are one sick fuck, R14.

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2013

These sorts of threads inevitably bring out the most cold-hearted trolls.

Poor kid. RIP, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5301/31/2013

r28 is right.

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2013

I hope The Poop In Rome is proud of his work. Good job!

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2013

R28 is the hero of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5601/31/2013

Hollywood celebs, yes, but also closeted politicians/

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2013

[quote]Family friend Bud Hill, who said his considered Bell his nephew

The Nephew Troll strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!