Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Did Roseanne Become So Damn Unfunny?

She hasn't been funny in 17 years (when her sitcom ended). She has had about two funny jokes since, and they were made in the past two years -- one in her book about being pro-life until she had her kids, and another last year about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' divorce, saying something like she was going to try and marry an earthling this time (Katie was looking for someone the opposite of Tom). Her Roast was embarrassingly unfunny. What happened? Did she get rusty from not doing standup for so many years? I saw her off and on in the 2000s, and she was terrible. She recently got all political, and that can kill the funny, but she was unfunny way before she ran for office. I don't get it. I looked back at her HBO special from 100 years ago, and she was incredible. Such an original talent.

Her running for office ended her sitcom comeback. She must be so pissed now. The sitcom pilot she did sounded like a total soapbox, so I'm not unhappy it didn't go through.

by Anonymousreply 5708/04/2013

Sorry, Roseanne ended almost 16 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

Standup tends to keep people sharp. Rosie O'Donnell used to be funny a hundred years ago. Not any longer.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

She ran out of funny. You are born with only so much of it, and when it's gone, it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

I think it was the writers of Roseanne, the sitcom, that were funny. Norm McDonald was a writer for a while IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

The overly political thing can kill a lot of formerly funny people. Margaret Cho for instance, Roseanne, etc.

I think it's because they make POLITICS their #1 issue, funny next, and politics can be funny but they get so into it that it undoes their funny.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

I met this smug hipster guy who is directing a movie about Roseanne's run for office. If I had had one more drink I would have said "Who cares about that crazy woman and her desperate attempts for attention? How much passe pop culture do we really need?" Probably better that I kept my mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

The Rosanne's Nuts sitcom has many good laughs!

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

Roseanne's Nuts was funny.

At least she has the good graces to stay off of your TV, OP, unlike that wretched, unfunny hag Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

The pilot (Downwardly Mobile) that she did for NBC last season must have been really horrendous. I mean, they picked up Guys With Kids and renewed Whitney, instead.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

She was wonderfully funny on her sitcom. Agree OP, somewhere along the way, she just lost it.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

[quote]The pilot (Downwardly Mobile) that she did for NBC last season must have been really horrendous. I mean, they picked up Guys With Kids and renewed Whitney, instead

I really want to see this. How has it not "accidentally" found it's way to the internet yet?

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

[quote]Norm McDonald was a writer for a while IIRC.

link.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

[quote]She never was funny.

Yes she was. Ironically so.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

John Goodman starred in the pilot for her new sitcom.

Why the fuck hasn't she teamed up with Laurie Metcalf?!

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

R13

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

she is still sometimes funny

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

Laurie is in a play now, cant do TV.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

Compared to uber-angry Whoopi Goldberg, Roseanne is HILARIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2013

Does anyone else find Anthony Jeselnik HAWT??

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

I think a bad case of hemorrhoids did her in.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

She started taking herself too seriously. And she lost sight of what regular people care about, which was her bread and butter.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

That sitcom quit being funny years before it went off the air. She started thinking everything needed to be PROFOUND, and she needed to make a STATEMENT and show that she was IMPORTANT.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Norm MacDonald wrote the Aunt Barbara scene.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

Oh God really R26? Ha I love it.

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2013

[quote]That sitcom quit being funny years before it went off the air. She started thinking everything needed to be PROFOUND, and she needed to make a STATEMENT and show that she was IMPORTANT.

The 94-95 season was the last one that was solidly funny. The 95-97 years were awful.

Goodman has been doing some first rate film work in the last few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins and Oscar within the next 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

Judy Tenuta is funny AS Rosanne

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

[quote] I really want to see this. How has it not "accidentally" found it's way to the internet yet?

I read somewhere they were going to show the pilot as a tv movie (like they did with The Munsters reboot.) I don't know if they called off those plans, probably so.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

Awful delicate and sensitive, aren't you R31? You much more angry and bitter than Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

[quote]Laurie is in a play now, cant do TV.

Laurie is in a play now because she cant do TV.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

Actually, both Meryl Streep & Laurie Metcalf speak very highly of Roseanne's acting ability. I think she is a natural and I think she will be back. It certainly is time to see another real working class family on television.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

She was so different when she came on the scene. Frumpy and fat, loudmouthed and crude during the Reagan years when Dallas and Dynasty were in the top five. She was counterculture for the times, then America culture radically changed and her comedy became standard. I have a feeling she was always unfunny except when onstage.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

[quote]Does anyone else find Anthony Jeselnik HAWT??

Oh god yes! To quote DL, "I want him inside me quite deeply!" I think he's gorgeous, and he's really funny too. Can't wait to see his new show on Comedy Central next month.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

That last season was a trainwreck. When they all got plastic surgery and won the lottery. Awful. Painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013

When Roseanne's sitcom was on the air, I used to think she was so fat it was almost distracting. Now when I catch a rerun she looks normal to me because a lot of people I see in my daily life are just as big or bigger than she was.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2013

The first time I ever saw Roseanne was in some pizza chain commercial back in the 80s. Maybe she was doing something from her stand-up routine - she was going on and on about the husband and kids eating pizza, and why the heck was SHE expected to eat at the SALAD BAR?! Then she took a huge bite of pizza. The whole thing was weird and hilarious, like an SNL skit.

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2013

John Updike had his Rabbit character think that Roseanne's greatest achievement was to talk without moving her lips.

She had a history of rude, churlish, rank-pulling behavior during her heyday. It was nice that her show portrayed a working-class family but her rude antics seemed to be ahead of the curve -- the first wave of the doo-doo avalanche of crappy celebrity that now engulfs us.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

[quote]In fairness, as tired and anemic as her roast was (as usual, the only talented roasters were regulars Jeff Ross and Anthony Jeselnick), Roseanne did take it very well and seemed to have a fun time (unlike uber-douchebags Donald Trump and Chevy Chase at their roasts).

It wasn't a Roast. It was a kiss-ass.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

[quote]Norm MacDonald wrote the Aunt Barbara scene.

Link to credit.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

She started to take herself too seriously and believed she wrote her show herself.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2013

[quote]I read somewhere they were going to show the pilot as a tv movie (like they did with The Munsters reboot.) I don't know if they called off those plans, probably so.

No. IMDB mistakenly listed the pilot as a "film" right from the start. It was, and never will, air.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2013

[quote]I liked her sitcom, but it's really dated and does not hold up well today. I could never watch reruns now.

The reruns are the reason she has a career now. It holds up totally. A whole generation knows who she is thanks to them. It's on three networks today.

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2013

Roseanne is a brilliant actress, and so good that I don't even have to put out the tired cliche: for someone who never had training (but it's true). Metcalf was a genius. Goodman was great. Roseanne did carry the show. She was the queen of it, and everyone knew it. She'd fire them if they didn't.

She gave Joss Whedon (feminist writer) his first job, and now he's running Hollywood, able to write his own checks.

Roseanne is a mental case, and would institutionalized as a teen.

She pushed homosexuality in television like no one did before.

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2013

NBC announced that it is picking up her sitcom Downwardly Mobile. I don't know what made them change their decision. Maybe they realized that the sitcoms aimed at younger audiences were all crap and decided to go with a proven commodity.

by Anonymousreply 4808/04/2013

R48, they didn't pick that up. They commissioned a brand new series from her not connected to that show which only made it to pilot.

by Anonymousreply 4908/04/2013

Same as r39. I used to think Roseanne was so obese back in the day, but when I see those old shows now I think she looks like an average American.

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2013

R4 is right. You have a certain amount of talent and then it runs out. Paul McCartney, Billy Joel and Burt Bacharach are songwriters who had a great run, but they've put out crap for decades past their prime.

Plus, Roseanne is female and menopause is a real life-changer.

And life bites us in the ass. Disappointments become harder to gloss over as we age. Our defences get battered and we get worn down. Life's not so funny anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2013

Well, let's face it, standup comedians of the 70s stopped being funny. Steve Martin. David Steinberg. Robert Klein.Robin Williams. Eddie Murphy. When did they become unfunny? By 1990.

The Sid Caesar Show was a huge hit in its day, but Caesar burned out. By 1966, only older people knew who he was he was in Mad Mad world and we kids had never seen or heard of him before.

So yeah, funny stops at a certain point in your life. .

by Anonymousreply 5208/04/2013

I never saw Roseanne as funny. Look at the first three years of her show when she laughed at her jokes BEFORE she delivered the line. The script may have been funny. Roseanne wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 5308/04/2013

I recently saw Roseanne's show in Las Vegas. She was "ok", funny but in a kind of mediocre way.

During the same Vegas trip, we went to see Jerry Seinfeld in concert. Wow! BIG WOW! The man is funny, just non-stop laughter.

I never really liked Seinfeld on tv. He was just part of an ensemble. But now I have to say he is brilliant.

So, over the years, total reversal in my opinions of the two.

by Anonymousreply 5408/04/2013

r40 SNL skits are hilarious? Coulda' fooled me. I believe Roseanne got too full of herself, and read too many of her own reviews. She was practically deified as the 2nd Coming when she was riding high, but as was said above, she only had so much to give. She should've ended on a high note.I wonder if, in her heart of hearts, she realizes that?

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2013

I like Roseanne and find her hilarious. I think, when she started earning money and clout, she felt the need to do some good in this world. And dear lord, we need more people like her, who actually care about the little people. She cares that we, the struggling middle class and the downtrodden poor, are being devoured by the 1%. Watch her TV show, Roaeanne's Nuts. She talks about wanting to make a difference in this country. She wants to feed the poor, for God's sake.

I say, based on that, cut her some slack, OP. Maybe she feels like now is not the time for funny, it's the time for action.

by Anonymousreply 5608/04/2013

Also, watch the Roseanne's Nuts show from beginning to end and you will get a great behind the scenes perspective on her TV show, her fame, her fuck ups and her regrets. She comes across as very likeable, intelligent and caring. She talks about her upbringing, her hospitalization as a teen, being hit by a car, her gay brother, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5708/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.