Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

James Carville and Mary Matalin booted from CNN

It's about time.

by Anonymousreply 9902/05/2013

Also, Erick Erickson is leaving, and Chris Cuomo is joining.

No one cares? I thought everyone liked to dump on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

It's hard to dump on great news and wise programming decisions.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

They are one scary ass looking couple.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

Plus, this is about the 7th thread on the topic.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

There were great in the 90s - now they suck

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

[quote] "They told me they wanted to change the look," Carville added.

Giving Mr. and Mrs. Cryptkeeper the boot seems a perfectly obvious and healthy way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

Sarah Palin out at Fox and now Carville/Matalin out at CNN. Sounds like the old guard voice of the extreme ends of the political spectrum are (finally) out of favor. Now I'm waiting for Ann Coulter to get banned from all networks.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

Are they simply making room for Palin at CNN?

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

She's just unhinged. Acted so badly after the election. Made a fool of herself

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

yes, agree r10 - Mary M acted crazy...and still does. Hasn't she gotten the memo that that behavior - attitude isn't in vogue anymore?

There was another unhinged person that appeared on Meet the older women. Forget her name. But, she was just like Matalin. Totally unhinged. I haven't seen her since her Meet the Press appearance.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

Has there ever been an uglier pair? I wonder what their daughter looks like?

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

Time to get rid of Piers now and send him back to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

Are they going to go sell real estate with Bay Buchanan?

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Meanwhile, Joy Reid continues to kick ass on a daily basis over on MSNBC. The tide has finally turned.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

Carville is a loyal Dem and a good guy. Will be sorry to see him go.

But Matalin is a vile shrew, and perhaps her bizarre meltdown the day after the election (which I posted to DL) where she screamed at Van Jones in anger after Romney lost, was the last straw for CNN.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

R11, you are probably thinking of Bay Buchanan, yes? She was one of Romney's advisers and is the sister of Pat Buchanan.

There's also a thread about her packing it in this week. She's leaving politics to go into real estate.

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2013

[quote]Erick Erickson is leaving

Could be for one of 2 reasons:

1. A petition with thousands of signatures from women was received by CNN after the DNC last summer when he referred to the women speakers at the event as the 'Vagina Monologues'

2. Now that Saxbly Chambliss has been pressured to pack it in as the Senator for Georgia in 2014 by the Tea Party, Erickson is considering running for the seat

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2013

R17, hence R14.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2013

Carville wasn't always so loyal, he'd sometimes say things on CNN that would piss me off and only give ammunition to Republicans. I don't think he cared for Obama because of his connection to the Clintons. I'm MORE than happy to see ugly on the inside and out Mary Matalin go, she had become SO vile and hateful since Obama won, she is a sick idiot who defends Repugs at all costs. Erick Erickson stupid smug punchable face never should've been hire. I just hope that asshole Dana Loesch is not still working for CNN.

I've seen Van Jones and Charles Blow (of NY Times) on CNN a lot recently and that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

[quote]I just hope that asshole Dana Loesch is not still working for CNN.

Unfortunately she is. She had been on unofficial suspension from CNN for a while last year after she said she felt like urinating on the corpses of dead Muslims, but she was recently invited back to Piers Morgan last week to argue in favor of gun rights.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

Not good news R21, I hope that she's next on CNN's chopping block. CNN needs to dump ALL of those inflammatory teabaggers.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

I'm still here, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

I don't necessarily want them gone. It's people like Hannity that need to be driven from TV.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

I wouldn't worry too much about Carville. There's always MSNBC for him. As for Matalin, she'll probably go to FoxNews.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

[quote]It could be, however, that Matalin was more the target than Carville. Because dumping Bennett, whose super-conservative views always seemed a better fit for Fox News, and Matalin (as a starting point) plus Erickson could be a hint that CNN wants to put MSNBC out of business first, which would make sense on a number of fronts that involve Zucker. Let's see how many other Republican-leaning pundits are shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2013

I want them to get rid of Dana Loesch.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

Carville has never been a full supporter of Obama. He never got over the fact that Obama beat Hillary.

CNN needs to get rid of that smarmy Ari Fleischer. He is the most vile and disgusting man.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

I hate Ari Fleischer, he makes my skin crawl, he's such a slimy lier. R28 is right about Carville and it's what I've always felt about him. I agree with R29, just get rid of all pundits.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

Does anyone use Pat Buchanan any more? Except maybe the McLaughlin Report?

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

r29 you mean the "real" news like ABC, NBC and CBS that helped the Bush Admin sell the war to America? that kind of "unbiased news?" Mainstream media just accepts at face value what politicians say without giving context to the issue. Rachel digs deeper. Provides contexts.

If Rachel or Jon Stewart had been on air in 2003 exposing the lies of the Bush Admin, instead of Meet the Press which allowed Cheney to bullshit his way into the war, Iraq would never have happened. Meet the Press was used as propaganda. Mainstream media was used as propaganda.

Sorry. Rachel is a national treasure IMHO and you'll have to pry her from my cold dead hands gripping the remote.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Didn't Pat Buchanan's most recent appearances hint at senility? I think I read that here on DL

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

I find it amusing that the Hollywood Reporter article stresses that Zucker is looking for more likable personalities for CNN. And later stresses that three of the four gotten rid of were conservatives and the fourth was more collateral damage due to his marital status. Says it all, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

Jon Stewart was on the air in 2003, r32.

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

Fox News' ratings are at a 12-year low, so it makes sense that Zucker would veer CNN in a more progressive direction. The network's attempt to become more conservative didn't work out too well for them, did it?

Anderson Coopers was informed that his 10pm slot was being taken away from him. Serves him right for promoting Mittens all last year.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

So what's Erin Burnett's punishment for backing Mittens and the Republicans and mocking OWS? Because she sure was doing it and she also was whining about how "unfair" it was for the big urban vote counted more than the rural vote in this country, that's a typical conservative view. Majority rules, but that doesn't work for Burnett or asshat Chuck Todd.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

[quote]Carville has never been a full supporter of Obama. He never got over the fact that Obama beat Hillary.

ENOUGH. I am so sick of reading this here. I saw this posted repeatedly last year. Carville has been enormously supportive of Obama. He spoke highly of him all last year and throughout the election and after it. He talked about Obama's singular achievement in passing health care on Bill Maher with Andrew Sullivan after Obama was re-elected.

Yes he likes Hillary, as many of us do, but he does not dislike Obama.

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

[quote]Anderson Coopers was informed that his 10pm slot was being taken away from him.

Link please.

[quote]So what's Erin Burnett's punishment for backing Mittens

She's at risk of losing her primetime slot and being moved to the morning with Chris Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

If Cuomo is going to do a morning show, does that mean that Soledad O'Brien's morning show ends -- or will she & Cuomo do a morning show together?

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

[quote]Carville is a loyal Dem and a good guy. Will be sorry to see him go.

That lizard embodies all that's wrong with politics. He prefers the status quo. He showed up to the 2008 DNC wearing PUMAS and has been shitting on Obama ever since. He sits there like a Republican bitch whenever actual Repubs attack Obama. Fuck him. I hope to never see that hideous gargoyle's face again.

Some of you live in the past. He has nothing to offer the left. He's an opportunistic douchebag who's only concerned with invites t DC cocktail parties.

I also hope Dana Loesch gets hit by a train. She's a vile cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

Fuck off, R41. You are lying about Carville. I already explained it to you above at R38.

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2013

R40, Soledad O'Brien is expected to be removed and put somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2013

Regardless of what these sniveling cable channels do, none of them have an audience of more than a million fringe nuts. That's why they're cable. These cable channels cut their own balls off long ago. Faux was the nail in that coffin.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2013

R41 has it right, Carville's support for President Obama has never risen past lukewarm, he doesn't speak up forcefully enough for him. I remember watching one of those CNN political panels with David Gergen, Gloria Borger, Carville and some other usual suspect right wingnuts - Carville barely spoke up to defend Obama and the liberal view - he does that often enough for it to seem deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 4301/30/2013

What am I lying about, R42?

He DID show up wearing PUMAS as an F U to Obama.

He's also a big ol' pussy. While his shithead wife attacked Paul Krugman, he didn't say a word. She attacked him like a crazy person and that lizard just sat there like an idiot.

I'm sick of the same old fucking pundits. Enough of these DC insiders. Sick of all of them. That's why no one watches this shit any more.

by Anonymousreply 4401/30/2013

You're lying about Carville not supporting Obama. He has supported Obama ever since he got the nomination. Carville hopes that Hillary runs again, but he has always spoken out in favor of Obama's strengths and made sure to put the Republicans in their place.

Did you even watch Carville during the election last year or on election night? Have you seen the Bill Maher show where Carville talked about how Obama is the first President to get health care reform passed and what an enormous accomplishment that was?

And Krugman is an adult - he can defend himself from Matalin. It isn't Carville's job to hold his hand like a little boy. Krugman can fight his own battles.

by Anonymousreply 4501/30/2013

I don;t understand the bizarre petty bitching about them here--who cares about them?

I'm just glad to see them go. They've been around forever (since the Clinton years) and have become genuine hacks. I can predict what they both with say about anything and so I no longer care about either of them.

The people I hate the most on news shows (except for plain out vituperative idiots like Ann Coulter) are people who have been political hacks for decades--them, the George F. Wills, the Paul Begalas, the Michelle Malkins, the Roland Martins, and so forth. When you know what they're going to say about everything there's no point in keeping them on anymore. they don't offer anything fresh, and make the country seem stagnated in the politics of 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4601/30/2013

I rarely, more honestly never, viewed a cable news channel since the first invasion of Iraq. These channels are tired jokes of what they might of been. Why would anyone waste their time with CNN, FUX or even MSNBC? We have very good news station on network TV and PBS in particular that are consistently better than these sanctimonious purveyors of clap trap. I'd rather watch all the foreign news casts and make up my own mind.

I love Aljazeera out of Algeria. I like the show out of Dubai, plus BBC

by Anonymousreply 4701/30/2013

R48, Paul Begala, like James Carville, was one of the people who helped get Bill Clinton elected. Why are you bashing these guys? They are much better to have in your corner than a bunch of Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 4801/30/2013

R49, you are now on our watch list. Do go 'round trying to board any planes any more, ya hear?

by Anonymousreply 4901/30/2013

BTW, WTF is CNN doing hiring someone like Dana Loesch? I've actually never seen her. I've only read her idiotic quotes, so there's no doubt she's a vile cunt as I said in my other post. I just decided to look up her bio to see what her credentials were to be a contributor to a major news network.

I'm guessing CNN couldn't find someone on a park bench or at a bus terminal willing to join their network, so they hired this unaccomplished idiot:

[quote]Dana Loesch graduated from Fox High School in Arnold, Missouri. She attended St. Louis Community College at Meramec before transferring to Webster University to study journalism.[3] She dropped out after meeting her husband, Chris, with whom she homeschools two children.[3] Loesch is a former liberal who eventually became a conservative after the September 11 attacks.[4]

Really, CNN? This was the best you could do?

by Anonymousreply 5001/30/2013

Loesch is even dumber than I thought. CNN only brought her and Erick Erickson on in hopes that they might attract some stray Fox viewers and get a lot of Tea Party support. It didn't work. I don't know why she's still there, Zucker should've dropped her along with Erickson.

by Anonymousreply 5101/30/2013

CNN hired Loesch for one reason - they wanted someone to represent the Tea Party voice. I don't think they ever considered her to be someone as experienced as former Presidential Adviser David Gergen.

by Anonymousreply 5201/30/2013

How did someone as unqualified as Loesch appears to be worm her way into CNN? It's not like she was building a portfolio of stories while she was homeschooling her kids.

by Anonymousreply 5301/30/2013

They get rid of Pailin at Fox, but Rove is still there. I want to see him dumped. I want to see Rush Limbaugh stroke out while he's on the air. Gone.

As for Matalin and The Lizard, I'm delighted they were dumped. I would like to see the same for Roland Martin and David Gergen. I used to respect Gergen. No more.

There are a few others that need to go. Gloria Borger and that other woman who has a talk show of sorts, Wolf Blitzer, Dana Bash, and please dear lord, get rid of Piers Morgan. The gun control issue probably bought him some time, but he should be gone.

Then I'd give Anderson a really stern talking to, and tell him to be the old Anderson we all loved and respected who used to go to war zones and cover news.

Maybe CNN should hire Chuck Todd and David Gregory. Maybe they should hire Mika Brezhinski and Joe Scarborough. Hey, CNN! Luke Russert is available. No, really. I like Chris Cuomo. Anderson should worry.

by Anonymousreply 5401/30/2013

Why should Piers Morgan be removed? His show is one of the only ones getting good ratings right now, and he's on the good side on gun control. I admire his work.

by Anonymousreply 5501/30/2013

Wolf Blitzer should have been the first one shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 5601/30/2013

If you want to see Carville in true pro mode, watch the documentary "The War Room." Fascinating behind the scenes film about Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 5701/30/2013

[quote]Then I'd give Anderson a really stern talking to, and tell him to be the old Anderson we all loved and respected who used to go to war zones and cover news.

I'm all for that!

by Anonymousreply 5801/30/2013

Gergen, Borger, Bash, Burnett and Ari Fleischer need to be shown the door.

And oh God NOT Chuck Todd - he conspires with conservative politicians to rig elections and David Gregory is a right wing shill. I don't care for Candy Crowley either to be honest - there are very few people on CNN that I can stomach.

by Anonymousreply 5901/30/2013

[quote]Wolf Blitzer should have been the first one shown the door.

That will never happen. He is one of CNN's chief anchors and one of the only solid people they have left.

by Anonymousreply 6001/30/2013

[quote]I don't care for Candy Crowley either to be honest

She hasn't been one of my favorite people in the past, but I give her credit for being tough on Romney in the 2nd debate, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 6101/30/2013

Wolf is solidly stiff and dull.

by Anonymousreply 6201/30/2013

Maybe R63, but she was right back to her usual conservative ass-kissing and Obama-bashing soon after on her Sunday show.

by Anonymousreply 6301/30/2013

Anderson loses his 10pm slot.

by Anonymousreply 6401/30/2013

Another vote for getting rid of that hideous toad Roland Martin!

by Anonymousreply 6501/30/2013

[quote]Anderson loses his 10pm slot.

What will be replacing it?

by Anonymousreply 6601/30/2013

This is thrilling news. As President Gerald Ford said, "Our long national nightmare is over." Now all we need is Karl Rove's head on a platter with a nice apple stuck in it's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 6701/30/2013

[quote]What will be replacing it?

"The Gloria Borger Goodtime Hour"

by Anonymousreply 6801/30/2013

How stupid to you have to be to waste an hour every night watching Rachel Maddow spout off her one sided opinions while you sit there and merely nod your head in agreement. Some people are smart enough to still want to hear the actual news and then form an opinion as to how to interpret it.

by Anonymousreply 6901/30/2013

[quote]Anderson loses his 10pm slot.

A word of caution on this story - this report comes from The New York Post. It could still be true, but let's remember the source.

by Anonymousreply 7001/30/2013

Candy Crowley is getting her own version of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."

by Anonymousreply 7101/30/2013

CNN should hire Jennifer Granholm for something now that Current TV is ending.

by Anonymousreply 7201/30/2013

Erik Erickson is leaving to go to Fox

by Anonymousreply 7301/30/2013

R71, Maddow is one of the smartest people with the best, most informative shows on the air anywhere. You obviously don't watch her if you say that.

I'm always learning something, getting new information, fresh perspective discovering things I was unaware of. She's one of the very few broadcasters who understand that they have a full hour to offer not just their opinions, but to gather information and give us an in depth look at issues that the mainstream media either ignores or glosses over.

In fact, most of MSNBC's programming is informative, nlike the imbeciles like Rush, Glenn Beck, Hannity, O' Reilly, and the rest of those imbeciles.

I like my news to be smart. That's why I watch Rachel. I don't need affirmation, I need information. From people I trust.

by Anonymousreply 7401/30/2013

[quote]WTF is CNN doing hiring someone like Dana Loesch?

She's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 7501/30/2013

LOL R70 and R73.

The slot-loss for AC isn't quite official yet, but it's probably going to happen. I wonder who they'll bring in.

Thank you R76, Rachel gives you the WHOLE story, unlike CNN which likes to parse for "balance".

by Anonymousreply 7601/30/2013

As I explained above, Dana Losech was brought on during the Tea Party phenomenon to represent their point of view.

She could end up getting chopped at some point too now that they are fading.

by Anonymousreply 7701/30/2013

She should have been chopped yesterday with Erickson though. I don't like that she's still on board.

by Anonymousreply 7801/30/2013

Maybe Chris Cuomo is getting Anderson's slot. I would happily give him my slot, too.

by Anonymousreply 7901/30/2013

R81, Cuomo is pretty likely to be getting the morning slot.

by Anonymousreply 8001/30/2013

[quote][R48], Paul Begala, like James Carville, was one of the people who helped get Bill Clinton elected. Why are you bashing these guys?

Because they're hacks.

Bill Clinton was great, and I'm grateful he was elected. But the country has moved on and the issues that confront us in 2013 are very different than what they were in 1992.

The fact that these two men helped him win does not mean that I want to hear them on national television every fucking night of the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 8101/30/2013

Who would you rather hear, R83?

by Anonymousreply 8201/30/2013

[quote]Who would you rather hear, [R83]?

Someone younger and newer and Democratic and normal looking.

Not someone who looks like the Crypt Keeper and who married a Republican who looks like the Sea Hag

by Anonymousreply 8301/30/2013

You know, it's a tradition almost, with the media, to hire these "analysts" and political "consultants" after they win the top prize. Most of them segue into the media and divide their time between making money as a pundit, or working as a lobbyist for K street, or teaching at some university. It's a very predictable circuit.

Matalin was pissed off because she was counting on a job after Romney got elected. I was delighted to see her & Rove have a public meltdown meltdown.

I've seen very few who have successfully milked their singular claim to fame as effectively as Carville, Matalin, Begala, & Rove.

Their one claim to fame was that they were part of one successful canddate's Presidency. They extended it and milked it and refuses to let go of the aura of power & influence they once had.

If you go on MSNBC, they have fresh voices. The only old warhorse I see is Bob Shrum, and he was a Kennedy man, yet he has remained relevant. That is the distinction. Carville, Matalin, Rove, and Begala aren't relevant. And forget Dan Senor and Ari Fleischer. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 8401/30/2013

Here's the video of Matalin's meltdown the day after the election!

by Anonymousreply 8501/31/2013

These people are all old. CNN is probably looking for a younger demographic.

by Anonymousreply 8601/31/2013

Glad to see both of them go. They've both become vile, repugnant creatures, and neither one has been relevant in over a decade. And if Hillary runs in 2016, she'd better tell Carville to stay the fuck away and not let him be a spokesperson for her campaign.

by Anonymousreply 8701/31/2013

Matalin was filled with so much hatred towards President Obama in R87's clip, not a single thing she said remotely resembles anything about him. What a horrible, horrible woman. Good riddance to both of them.

by Anonymousreply 8801/31/2013

[quote]Carville, Matalin, Rove, and Begala aren't relevant.

I disagree about Carville. He's a Southern Democrat, a rare and dying breed. He and "Mudcat" Saunders (ran Edwards' campaign in 2008) can speak the language of southern Democrats and provide a unique insight into them.

by Anonymousreply 8901/31/2013

Mudcat was at least working on a campaign this past election cycle. If I'm not mistaken he worked for a candidate who seriously challenged Eric Cantor.

Yes, Cantor got re-elected, but he has not been challenged as forcefully before. He had to spend a lot of money and he had to work and campaign. Mudcat is a sort of principled hack in his way. He is still out here doing battle.

Carville was so enamoured by the riches his "colorful" personality would generate, he opened a lobbying office on K Street, hooked up with CNN as a contract player, and hasn't done an honest days work since Clinton got elected in 1992.

I have no respect for Carville. Matalin is repulsive, and I hope CNN develops some clear vision and a plan to move forward that respects the traditions that Ted Turner had when he started the company.

By 2002, CNN lost it's way. The last time there was anything resembling decent news coverage on a consistent basis was 9/11/2001. Aaron Brown and most of the people who covered 9/11 are gone now, or have been rendered neffective.

by Anonymousreply 9001/31/2013

I agree, R90. I thought I would re-post that clip from November because it relates to the subject of this thread.

It may be one of the reasons why the new CNN President realized she needed to go. Matalin was completely unhinged and barely able to control herself. Look at her angry face and the way she can hardly stay in her chair. And Van Jones was far more polite to her than I would have been.

by Anonymousreply 9101/31/2013

John King may be out in favor of Jake Tapper.

by Anonymousreply 9201/31/2013

Who would run the Magic Wall if John King goes?

by Anonymousreply 9301/31/2013

My God, I just watched that Matalin video. I haven't seen her on TV for years. She is repulsive. The only question I have for CNN is, WTF took you so long!

Maybe James resigned out of loyalty to her. Good. Two birds with one stone. So to speak. They will not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 9401/31/2013

I hadn't seen her meltdown. Wow. Barely controlled rage and just repeatedly spewing catchphrases and making accusations without any evidence whatsoever. It seemed like she was going to jump out of her skin. If Zucker is looking for he "likability" factor, then getting rid of her festering presence on screen was the most fundamental start.

by Anonymousreply 9501/31/2013

[quote]can speak the language of southern Democrats and provide a unique insight into them

Who cares about Southern Democrats? Their states are controlled by Republicans for the foreseeable future - there is nothing they can do for the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 9601/31/2013

R98, let's remember that some Southern states (eg. Virginia, Florida & North Carolina) voted for Obama. And let's also remember that Bill Clinton won many of the other Southern states and that some of them are saying they will vote for Hillary in 2016.

So we shouldn't write off the entire region if there are some parts of it that are worth salvaging.

by Anonymousreply 9702/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!