Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Good news everyone! All the shitty things we write about celebs is being reported to studio execs and influencing casting!

I always wondered how publicists never managed to shut this site down. Now it's clear: the studios want our vicious opinions.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16802/01/2013

We need to see Sigourney Weaver in more headlining roles.

I am quite fond of Tom Sellick.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 101/29/2013

Can I be of any service?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 201/29/2013

I am starting an online viral campaign to cast Betty White in the next Transformers movie.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 301/29/2013

Henry Cavill for the Ben-Hur remake.

Not sold on Mila Kunis in anything but comedies.

Please cast Guy Pearce in more things.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 401/29/2013

Just because they are your relatives doesn't mean they are good actors or directors or writers or producers.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 501/29/2013

I'm disappointed Taylor Kitsch wasn't cast as Finick in Hunger Games 2 - Catching Fire. DL also had a great suggestion for Johanna but I can't remember. Certainly not Jena Malone.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 601/29/2013

God help Hollywood if they start using DL for casting advice.

I suspect they use this info cautiously since the online posters may not represent the target market for a given project. However, this sort of data could prove useful for guiding the direction of focus groups and other research.

Still, the online buzz is being heard. It surely played a big part in shaping the 2011 Wonder Woman pilot, with two separate changes to her costume. The negative buzz likely was a big factor in NBC's ultimate rejection of the pilot.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 701/29/2013

We didn't bitch enough about Whitney

by Professor Farnsworthreply 801/29/2013

Please tell Demi Moore to stop fucking up her face and to start embracing her age. The way she's acting now is painful to witness.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 901/29/2013

Cool article but this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Of course studios take into account any buzz/opinions they can track online.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1101/29/2013

No one is invested in her, r9, so your complaints fall on deaf ears. She's over and does not like it one bit. At least she cleaned up long enough to raise her kids; now that they're adults and it's not all about Mom anymore, she's cracked up. There wasn't a great deal there to begin with.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1201/29/2013

Give Heather Locklear a show. Give Blair Brown the Murder She Wrote revamp. Don't cast Justin Timberlake anymore.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1301/29/2013

I like Guy Pearce, too. Put him in something good.

Clive Owen needs to be in something good, too. When was his last good role? Closer?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1401/29/2013

[quote]Don't cast Justin Timberlake anymore.

This bears repeating just in case it has any influence: Don't cast Justin Timberlake anymore.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1501/29/2013

No more comedies centered around the penultimate hetero-male fantasy of 40 year old men acting like puerile dipshits.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1601/29/2013

Please stop with the hetmale fantasy of fag, ugly slob dipshit with gorgeous female.

Example: Kate Winslet and Jack Black. Disgusting.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1701/29/2013

Why don't we see more Fred Savage movies?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1801/29/2013

R18 is right! We need more Fred Savage movies!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 1901/29/2013

I love Fred's work directing It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia so I seriously do want to see a Fred Savage movie.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2001/29/2013

So do I, R20!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2101/29/2013

Fizziology sounds awful. How do all of these companies make money?

Also, if they take DL advice, Patty Duke will be in every other movie.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2201/29/2013

Please kill Justin Bieber.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2301/29/2013

We need more tap-dancing pictures, and don't forget to add a good jungle number!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2401/29/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow is dull. Dull. Duller than a Sunday afternoon in Arkansas. Please stop putting her in things where she's supposed to be exciting because she's not. And no more Shia LaBeouf in anything. He's not a good enough actor to carry off a plain face - you've got to be either talented or hot, both would be great. He is neither.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2501/29/2013

[quote]I'm disappointed Taylor Kitsch wasn't cast as Finick in Hunger Games 2 - Catching Fire. DL also had a great suggestion for Johanna but I can't remember. Certainly not Jena Malone.

I agree on Taylor Kitsch!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2601/29/2013

Let Barbra film Gypsy

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2701/29/2013

No more Tom Cruise movies where he's playing a character that should be played by an actor half his age.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2801/29/2013

No more Tom Cruise movies full stop. Quit giving that little megalomaniac work.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 2901/29/2013

R29 I read that as "stop giving that little megalomaniac a spork" and was wondering if A) he'd gotten a little chubby and B) why the retro 70s implement... Fully agree though, he's unwatchable once you remember he's a $cientolotard. That trumps everything else.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3001/29/2013

Hart Bochner! Please. Watch Apartment Zero. You'll agree!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3101/29/2013

It does not look good for AnnE

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3201/29/2013

Agree with r28, NO MORE TOM CRUISE FILMS !!!

We're already two posters demanding this, so this has got to make an impact. All of DL *HATES TOM CRUISE*. Write that down!

Secondly, no more high-profile projects starring established box office poison Nicole Kidman. PLEASE. Enough already!

How many more shots will Hollywood give her?

Agree about Shia LaBeouf. He sucks. Just like Leonardo DiCaprio, who CANNOT ACT. Make it stop!

If a female actor with limited talent had gone puffy and bloated (like him), she'd have been shown the door a long time ago. We hate your double standards!

Agree that Sigourney Weaver needs a big comeback film, and please give Weaver No. 2 (Jacki Weaver) a great big role as well.

We want more real talent, and less Kidman/Hathaway/Portman showboating bullshit.

Btw, I'm not sold on your new it girl, Jessica Chastain. Can't you find someone who has charisma?

Finally, you're doing everything right re Meryl. Always remember she is your greatest treasure!

Thanks. Now compute this post.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3301/29/2013

Tom Cruise is the David Koresh of Hollywood.

That is how everybody sees him. And that's why his films will NEVER be profitable again.

End of story.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3401/29/2013

If this were really true, they'd stop giving Tom Cruise these vanity projects (eh's toast on the Internet--everyone hates him) and they'd kill of Gwyneth Paltrow for the Iron Man and Avengers movies (she is probably the single most loathed movie star on the Internet).

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3501/29/2013

Vanish, streep troll!! Nicole Kidman should get endless chances!

Jessica Lange should be given all of Meryl's upcoming roles.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3601/29/2013

I can't watch Tom Cruise in anything without thinking about that Scientology interview/promo video where he comes off like a total maniac.

Also, where has Toni Collette been? Please give her more work stat.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3701/29/2013

We need at least THREE more movies of Mame!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3801/29/2013

I see at least two movies a week which means I see a lot of trailers for Tom Cruise movies and I have yet to see one where the audience wasn't laughing. He's a joke now.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 3901/29/2013

R36 Jessica Lange wins the internets for The Name Game on American Horror Story, if for nothing else. She is the real deal.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4001/29/2013

The Women should be remade every year, with the latest Hollywood stars.

Melissa McCarthy as the Countess de Lave.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4101/29/2013

How the hell does a unknown like tig notoro have more power then hataway?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4201/29/2013

Yeah, speaking of Jessica Chastain, everyone knows she's Ron Howards illegitimate spawn, and her career is payback from a deadbeat dad.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4301/29/2013

Agree about Toni Collette.

Tracey Ullman is another one.

Please use more funny ladies of a certain age, Hollywood.

Tina Fey shouldn't be the only one who gets work.

Why isn't Tracey hosting the Oscars, instead of Seth MacFarlane?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4401/29/2013

Kirsten Dunst was PHENOMENAL in 'Melancholia'.

Why isn't she being showered with challenging roles?

She's festering in shit like 'Bachelorette', while all the good roles go to hyped-but-boring actresses like Rooney Mara and Michelle Williams.

Also, please deliver us from the terror that is Ann Hathaway. She's an imposition on everyone interested in film.

More Kirsten, less Ann !!!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4501/29/2013

We're sick of these 'America's Sweetheart' prom queens like Hathaway, Witherspoon, Amy Adams etc. etc.

Can you please find actresses who are fierce bitches with a lot of attitude? They've always been the most interesting personalities Hollywood has ever produced.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4601/29/2013

Tell Peter Jackson to do a tighter job of editing the "Hobbit" films, will you?

Not even the geeks want to see every damn thing he can throw on the screen, we'd rather see a fun, fast-paced movie.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4701/29/2013

We need new crazy quirky looking actresses. Where are the Karen Blacks, the Shelley Duvalls, the Sandy Dennises?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 4901/29/2013

Oh, I have got supporters here on DL, r48.

But you know what? I've never asked anyone to like me.

A real troll never does. So, feel free to hate me.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5101/29/2013

Ryan Phillippe. Full Frontal. That is all.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5201/29/2013

Jessica Lange is always rated second best to Meryl Streep, but executives fail to watch "The Name Game" on American Horror Story and give her that SAG award. Please, give Jessica those great roles that she so deserves. Same with Sigourney Weaver!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5301/29/2013

[quote]Yeah, speaking of Jessica Chastain, everyone knows she's Ron Howards illegitimate spawn, and her career is payback from a deadbeat dad.

I don't know about "deadbeat dad" but Chastain needs to own up, and admit that she's Ron Howard's daughter. And, not just a look-a-like to Bryce Dallas Howard.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5501/29/2013

"Les Miz" is making money, so let's see some more musicals on the big screen!

How about "Wicked", even with the ubiquitous Hathaway? Or "Sunset Boulevard" with Meryl and James Marsden? Just not "Gypsy" with Babs as the mother of young children.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5601/29/2013

Jessica Chastain's birth name was Jessica Howard. She and Bryce Dallas Howard look so much alike they could be biological sisters. Jessica's on the left and Bryce is on the right.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5701/29/2013

WEHT Shelly Duvall?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5801/29/2013

They are both flat-out gorgeous, who knew Opie had it in him?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 5901/29/2013

No more remakes of 80s films (always shittier than their predecessors).

No more prequels (never fun, seldom work).

Drop the new Star Trek movie franchise, start a new TV show set just AFTER Voyager/TNG with some exciting new tech etc. How about putting an openly gay male on the bridge? Maybe not captain, but science officer or something. Keep it simple, but not dumb. Think TNG.

More original scripts, but with big budgets. Just because it's a blockbuster it doesn't have to be dumb. No, Christopher Nolan doesn't count.

No more 3D. It's horrible.

Take Jennifer Aniston out to one of the back lots and shoot her. It's the kindest thing.

More films like "Moon", where CGI is used sparingly and effectively to enhance rather than replace things. Give Duncan Jones more money and tell him to make more films. He's a great director in the making.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6001/29/2013

[quote]How the hell does a unknown like tig notoro have more power then hataway?

How does an unknown like Tig Notaro have a stalker?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6101/29/2013

Where has Bea Arthur gone? We need more Bea.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6201/29/2013

God, yes to no more 3D films.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6301/29/2013

[quote]Take Jennifer Aniston out to one of the back lots and shoot her. It's the kindest thing.

And take the Kartrashians with her.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6401/29/2013

Put Jessica Lange back on the big screen. She is a national treasure.

Vanessa Williams should also have a role in a major motion picture.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6501/29/2013

My GAWD, Jessica and Bryce have to be twin sisters!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6601/29/2013

Stop using Brad Pitt as your go-to leading man. I don't care how "bankable" he is, he's a terrible actor and diminshes every film he's in.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6701/29/2013

[R16], since you are saying that's the next-to-the last heterosexual male cliche, what do you consider the last?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6801/29/2013

I like the Streep troll

by Professor Farnsworthreply 6901/29/2013

"Kirsten Dunst was PHENOMENAL in 'Melancholia'. yes." The other actress was good, too. I can't think of any other good younger actresses or actors - they are all bland and no one cares about them. Hire new ones, nobodies - they will be better. Hire NY stage people or London stage people, too.

No more remakes.

No more ugly guys sex joke movies.

Instead of spending 100 or 200 million on a shitty movie that has a good chance of flopping make 10 quality movies for 10 million or 20 for 5 million. Everyone is sick of exploding cars and all of the actors that demand 20 million for a film - cut back on that. Hire real writers (intelligent ones that write novels or plays) - Hollywood used to do that when it made good movies. You can probably get them pretty cheaply.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7001/29/2013

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of the funniest shows out there. It needs way more love, as do the actors (especially the two who play Mac and Dee, who are married in real life),and yes I love that Fred Savage directs this show. I think Dennis is hot and am surprised he is not cast in more things.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7101/29/2013

I hope they read the datalounge, so Hollywood ppl. Aniston sucks nbdi do all her movies. I like Jennifer Lawrence but fucking ease up with her. Jude apparent should not cast his wife in every movie.start fresh take uglier ppl n mix em with hot actors...

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7201/29/2013

Because R71 bears repeating: NO MORE REMAKES. Christ on a bike. Make up some new shit. Aren't there vaults of screenplays waiting around to be greenlighted?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7301/29/2013

social intelligence engineering will soon prove unreliable because people rarely A. know what they want or B want what they say they want.

Studos already know this ut there is always someone looking to move up rank in the business who will pay money if you convince them you have a calulus to predict movie success.

Since movies began they have been trying some version of this and it always fails for the reasons I mention at the top of this post

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7401/29/2013

Please Hollywood, make "Magic Mike Two" happen, with more screen time for Mat Bomer.Also, make it in 3D and "odorama"

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7501/29/2013

Public Relations firms will find a way to scam the system and the public will be stuck with no talent pretty boys and girls in roles that should go to better actors that are not the toast of the Internet.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7601/29/2013

More Shelley Long on television, please. Call her up, give her a job - whatever she wants, and plenty of time to to dress in her character. She is one of the best comedic actors I've seen.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7701/29/2013

Dawsons 50 Load Part 2

3 D!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7801/29/2013

I agree. Let's get Shelley Long hired.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 7901/29/2013

I certainly hope this prevents Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart having careers.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8101/29/2013

R80 There's a reason so many Brits and Aussies are hired - they can act. It's actually taken seriously in Britain, with real acting lessons from real degree-giving institutions. It isn't enough to just turn up at an audition and blow the casting director, you're expected to be able to act and have a professional attitude. It's also possible to be an actor while in possession of a homely face, it's talent that's important.

If you keep giving jobs to talentless pretty faces that have no acting skills then you get what you have in the US - lots of Amanda Bynes types. Stop giving jobs to unemployed homecoming queens giving out BJs.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8201/30/2013

R54 doesn't speak for me.

ayb does (at least with regard to Jennifer Aniston... she doesn't need to be shot, but no more movies with her, ever, would be great).

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8301/30/2013

Good, maybe Hollywood is finally realizing that movie going audiences are not as stupid as they think they are. Hopefully they get rid of lame ass actors like Pitt, Di Caprio, Affleck, Depp, Cruise, Clooney now.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8401/30/2013

I agree with r67. Of all the overused, overplayed actors named by r84, Brad Pitt has got to be THE worst.

The 'media consensus' that Pitt has turned into a credible actor is revolting. He sucks, and he ruins every film he's in.

And r69: thank you!

I know I have my supporters on the DL. In any case, the bully loons hating free speech will never manage to drive me away.

*Kisses* to my detractors, and to my dear supporters!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8501/30/2013

Oh, please, R80, you think the numerous acting schools in the U.S. don't produce, for a pretty penny, a host of dedicated, educated young actors? Where are they, pray tell. One Jessica Chastain does not a generation of American actors make. My theory is that one reason for the flood of foreign actors from English-speaking countries is that eventually a lot of them will go back from whence they came and the union pension and medical plans won't have to cover them, as they only cover actors living in the U.S.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8601/30/2013

And I totally agree with r70: Kirsten Dunst is the ONLY actress of a young age who is interesting.

Every other young actress, from Amanda Seyfried to Carey Mulligan to Rooney Mara, MW, Ann Hathaway, Ellen Page, Mila Kunis, Natalie Portman, bores me to tears.

Jennifer Lawrence is ok, but wildly overpraised. Which is understandable, considering how plastic and charisma-free her competition is.

But it's unfair Dunst hasn't received the same industry push after her stunning work in 'Melancholia'. She should be offered all the great scripts first, for years to come.

In any case, Hollywood needs to find more actors with an interesting personality.

And it needs to work more with actresses over 40 and 50. If the French film industry can do it, so can Hollywood.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8701/30/2013

I don't understand why someone as brilliant and nuanced as Wilford Brimley is being wasted on commercials about his diabeetees.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8801/30/2013

If they cared what DL thought they'd advise any actress never to become successful for risking being trashed.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 8901/30/2013

Then they care much more about what DL's scathing fools think than I do.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9001/30/2013

Do the studios pay any attention to comments made about them and their colleagues on DL?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9101/30/2013

I think they would pay attention to threads where a film or an actor is discussed if it is a rational discussion. A thread like this where people are just venting about people they don't like would probably be ignored, but one where various opinions are given and argued might be of interest.

I'm sure they, like the rest of us, promptly stop reading when the trolls come out.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9201/30/2013

Don't you have anything you could put Debbie Reynolds in? Just to get her outta my hair for a while.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9401/30/2013

Personally I'd like to see more of Pitt. He's still a beautiful man and he's obviously not "the WORST." The consensus that he has become a very good actor is not a media fiction it is pretty much a critical consensus. They ain't giving him BAFTA, Oscar & SAG noms and NYFC & other critics wins because he's cute.

As a lesson to others Brad stays A list because he is a great combination of looks, acting, popularity and other personal qualities all of which translates into producers, directors and other actors wanting to work with him and all of those things in turn attract film financing. If you can't get a film financed then being the greatest actor in the world won't matter.

As for thinking the studios care what DL says, you guys are so easy.

Look your fly's open.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9501/30/2013

Please don't end Spartacus.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9601/30/2013

Stop making movies about comic books!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9701/30/2013

I think Hollywood likes actors who love to showmance, like being in the tabloids all the time. Pitt, Clooney, Di Caprio, Affleck, Cruise -all fall under that category. If they are OK with calling the paps all the time studios get extra publicity for they movies and extra bucks. That's how it works, its a billion $ INDUSTRY. And since audiences don't flock to movies with normal looking guys (or girls), but who are talented actors, they don't get cast in blockbuster movies. Mainstream audiences are to blame for this as well, of course.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 9801/30/2013

Dear casting agents, can you please find work for actor-pretty Will Grant?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10001/30/2013

[quote]I see at least two movies a week which means I see a lot of trailers for Tom Cruise movies and I have yet to see one where the audience wasn't laughing. He's a joke now.

NASA keeps pushing him in their radio and TV ads for the Kennedy space center. Cruise narrates one of their films. When I heard that, it made me not want to visit the space center.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10101/30/2013

[quote]No more Tom Cruise movies where he's playing a character that should be played by an actor half his age.

I have never heard of this "Jack Reacher" series of action books, but I thought the film was expertly done, and highly entertaining. So sue me!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10201/30/2013

All of these sad teenage suicides due to gay bullying and these rich fucker movie stars won't come out.

Fuck 'em.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10301/30/2013

More ASIANS in leading and supporting roles!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10501/30/2013

That he hangs onto that disgusting religion(Scientology), that's worse then being in the closet...he's a pretty sick guy, in my opinion.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 10601/30/2013

R108 do you think bullies and homophobes will change their perspectives after Tom Cruise or Taylor Lautner came out?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11001/30/2013

R110 EVERY person that comes out makes a difference. The more people that come out, the more the homophobes will have no choice but to deal with gays as a VISIBLE part of everyday life.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11101/30/2013

R112 = Closet case pussy

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11301/30/2013

Bisexuals must come out too. They are often being mistaken for gay in the closet.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11501/30/2013

Well, if the movie execs are still reading: No more fucking shaky handheld camera. It's annoying and lazy and has become practically a parody of itself.

I want to see an all-star disaster flick like those 70s epics, not the modern variations like The Day After Tomorrow or 2012 with some white-bread family I don't care about. No, I'm talking all-star celebs in peril like Beyonce, Brad Pitt, Kate Winslet, Tom Hardy, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Hemsworth, etc., etc. And I want to see Quebooboo Wallis die hideously.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11601/30/2013

[quote]Well, if the movie execs are still reading: No more fucking shaky handheld camera. It's annoying and lazy and has become practically a parody of itself.

lol true.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11701/30/2013

1. Hey Hollywood, we like trashy gossip but I want some mystique about truly talented actors that I root for. This means ONE earnest interview, and no more explaining oneself. Just let the work speak for itself.

2. Call Shelley Long up with an offer to put her in a story arc on a well written funny sitcom - two or three episodes. She'll play a beyond quirky character (for inspiration, see OTT Liza or Charlize as a hot-but-mentally-challenged girl in Arrested Development) and be funny as hell - and the audience will demand more - but don't give it to them. From there, Long if she wants can try for parts in movies - dramedies, or Broadway. She can do fantastic things with sh*t writing, I want to see what she'll do now that she's stared into the abyss. If she wants to act for its own sake and maintains an IDGAF attitude, she could win an Oscar.

3. Make Jason Momoa your new hot movie guy.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11801/30/2013

Totally agree, r116. More disaster movies, but 70s-style with only adults in peril, no cuter-than-shit families. And no man with a missing wife or child he has to save, which is half the plot of the movie. Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Think Poseidon Adventure or the Towering Inferno - fun action movies with lots of sexy A-Listers running for their lives and double-crossing each other.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 11901/30/2013

Cate Blanchette is ugly with a Kermit The Frog lipline.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12001/30/2013

R28, Jack Reacher is supposed to have been born in 1960. TC was born in 1962.

Not much of a stretch, and in the wrong direction, in any case.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12101/30/2013

If a DL thread about an actor, movie or show comes up anywhere near the top of a Google search, the studios, agents, managers, publicists, etc., will be reading it.

Of course the actors themselves are reading it, do not underestimate the power of narcissism.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12201/30/2013

r22 not every other movie, only the ones that she is right for. It doesn't always have to be Streep or Field.....

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12301/30/2013

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12401/30/2013

Get the fuck off the shareholder profit model-it's killing your bank.

You can't quantify talent and taste. Not only is it impossible, the studio movie process takes too long for you to truly capture the zeitgeist.

You need someone in the movies who truly loves them, yet can function in both worlds.

People like old record A&R men like Jac Holtzmann(sp?) who pushed through a lot of talent, but weren't known to the public at the time. They enjoyed the lifestyle, but they weren't primarily about their own profile. If they were in their prime today, they would not be on twitter.

You need the same record A&R model for finding new talent. George Clooney was the last movie star. That was a long time ago.

You are shooting yourself in the foot with your racist, homophobic practices. Aside from the moral bankruptcy, you are missing out on an entire generation of great ethnic actors. Younger people aren't homogeneous anymore. If the hot leads in a new rom-com are black, they don't give a shit. Only when you start doing obvious PC bullshit that rings false will you be called on it.

Stop fucking over the screenwriters for your own greed and dick swinging bragging rights. They are the backbone of Hollywood.

In exchange for giving you all your free rewrites, how about connecting them with people who can help their careers-get that weird incest drama made your studio wouldn't touch?

The blockbuster movies of the 70-90s everyone cites now as the "golden age" of fun, well made American films (Jaws, Beverly Hills Cop, etc.) were the result of brilliant screenwriting by many people. All the brilliant burn out cases did these movies on the side, usually without credit, and they survived until they dried out and could do serious work.

That doesn't happen now and it's too bad. People like Aaron Sorkin coast on their rep for years past their sell by date because it's supposed to be a 'get' to have him on your project. No one looks to quality first and tells him that, no, your coasting level isn't good enough.

I'm not naive about the casting couch, but the abuse and exploitation of child stars needs to stop. It is truly evil and one day it will blow up in your faces. I hope I live to see it.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12501/30/2013

In that case:

Thank you, Hollywood.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12601/30/2013

R125 hoards his rejection letters and teaches "How to Write a Screenplay" at his local Adult Ed. Center.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12701/30/2013

Occkam's Razor doesn't always give your the right answer, r127.

Life is more complicated.

Not everyone who is bitter about the system is a failed screenwriter.

They aren't defining themselves by their rejection, and they do put in the work. It just gets frustrating to see all the bullshit kill great projects.

I remember reading the oral history of SNL, and one of the quotes was from a guy (Kazurinsky, maybe) who said he watched all the great, unique pieces go in the bin every week in favour of the "hot" character or player of the moment they drove into the ground. He said he'd love to have a bunch of them and put them on now.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12801/30/2013

Enough with giving Meryl Streep almost every over fifty high profile role.

Yes, she's good. But a good number of actresses could have done any of her recent roles.

Sally Field was a breath of fresh air. Continue with that.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 12901/30/2013

If this story is true, why did Warner Brothers proceed with casting Bland Hathaway as Catwoman?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13001/30/2013

I heard I was trending on social media.

Who gave them my blood for whatever fucking test that is?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13101/30/2013

And enough with the drab, colorless look in every movie now.

Put the fucking color back in color movies!! I'm tired of everything being a handful of colors. That shitty blue needs to go!!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13201/30/2013

Yes, R121. Proper casting is all about the year an actor was born. You're so acute.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13301/30/2013

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13401/30/2013

I agree with R132

The color in Far From Heaven was the best thing about it. I was in awe of the color.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13501/30/2013

More Zac Efron, and less Shia Lebeouf.

It's time to have an Asian leading man. The denizens of DL probably know who to pick.

No more fucking remakes!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13601/30/2013

More cow bell

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13701/30/2013

r129, no other actress could have played Julia Child to this level of perfection. Keep dreaming.

And Sally Field or Jessica Lange as Margaret Thatcher? Laughable!

Lange is only good as loopy/spaced-out women, she cannot portray anything else. Field is a third-rate actress who lucked out three times in her career.

I like Sigourney Weaver and Glenn Close, and they should get more work; but neither of them possess Meryl's range nor instrument as an actress.

Annette Bening comes closest to Meryl in terms of versatility. I'll give you that.

More good roles for Annette, please!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13801/31/2013

Streep Troll - leave Jessica Lange alone. If Meryl Streep were as good as you believe her to be you wouldn't have to denigrate other actresses to prove it. It's like that line from Tootsie: "...your the first female character who can assert her own personality without robbing someone else of theirs. (You're a breakthrough lady for us. We'll be renewing your contract for another year.)"

That means Sally Field and Jessica Lange do not have to be bad actresses to make Meryl Streep look good. They all have their strengths. And if you think Lange only plays strung out women, you obviously have never seen her stellar work with Tom Wilkinson in Normal, for a start. And nobody would ever think of replacing Lange with Streep in either season of AHS.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 13901/31/2013

Also, Streep Troll: Ironweed is on this week. Should I bother watching it or is it a total slog?

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14001/31/2013

Do not cast Jessica Alba in another movie EVER ,, again

That's all

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14101/31/2013

Lange troll at r139/r140: I never said Lange was a bad actress. I said she was limited. Re-read my post before you go into meltdown mode.

And yes, Streep most certainly could have done AHS. Differently than Lange, but she would have owned the role, as she always does.

Secondly, Sally Field is NOT as talented as either Lange or Streep. WTF!

And no, I'm not calling her a BAD ACTRESS; you can stop hyperventilating right now. I'm saying she's a lesser talent than Lange, and a million times less talented than Meryl Streep.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14201/31/2013

Hollywood needs more gay.

Datalounge needs less Streep troll.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14301/31/2013

Get R16 a dictionary.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14401/31/2013

R16 may get a word wrong, but R16 is correct in the main point. I hate all of those movies about goofy, crude, hideous straight men that act like twelve year olds and get some beautiful young female. Cannot stand them.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14501/31/2013

Yeah Streep Troll, whatever, and Ironweed? Worth seeing?

Also name one role where Meryl Steep displays a modicum of the carnality that Lange is capable of. Just. One.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14601/31/2013

More Dionne Warwick songs in movie soundtracks.

Hell, we want to see Dionne on screen as well.

Cast her! Make it happen.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14701/31/2013

That should mean more of Matt Damon's butt on the big screen.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14801/31/2013

More gay films, never cast Justin Timberlake in a film again.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 14901/31/2013

Gay films that are not watered down and dumbed down for a straight audience.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15001/31/2013

Steve Buscemi as a love interest. I want to watch someone interesting, not some boring interchangeable guy.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15101/31/2013

R145- be careful- Katherine Heigel was banned from Hollywood for dissing Apatow's Knocked Up for the same reason. it turns out she was right.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15201/31/2013

Dear Moguls, Mogul Jrs, Moguls III --

We are sick of seeing your half baked children pushed as actors and directors. Even if you did buy their mothers for a very high price.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15301/31/2013

I truly hope nobody reads this thread and believes some of the rather silly opinions expressed here reflect DL as a whole.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15401/31/2013

Well, actually, R133, the original whiner said something about Tom Cruise playing a character half his age, which Jack Reacher obviously is not.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15501/31/2013

r146: yes, Ironweed is very watchable. It's one of Meryl's strongest performances ever. Do watch it.

Meryl displays carnality in The French Lieutenant's Woman, Bridges of Madison County, Postcards from the Edge, and Adaptation. Each time in a different way. Each time more believable than Lange's cartoonish OTT carnality.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15601/31/2013

Oh, and in House of the Spirits !!

The film itself may be flawed, but she is IT re all things carnal and sensual.

Totally mops the floor with Jessica Lange's erotic shtick.

Meryl and Glenn act together in that one, and they're both superb!

After Heartburn, you should watch House of the Spirits. Seriously.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15701/31/2013

r87 just because you have an identity does not make you an expert. All those young actresses you listed have talent and have used that talent to great effect in one project or another. I don't think they should be in everything that comes up for casting but you are being an ass by implying they are useless.

And honestly, gay men are not the best judge of female actresses. Most gay men only appreciate the larger than life nearly drag queen like execution of femininity. Hollywood is trying to get a female audience with female leads in pictures, not a gay male audience. Just like you wouldn't want some frau telling you what gay men find hot in other men, you bitches are not a good judge on what women want to see from other women.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15801/31/2013

Dear Hollywood,

Please send someone to take out the Streep Troll. We hear from Ronnie's people that you have someone good for that kind of thing.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 15901/31/2013

Less reboot's of comic book heroes No more fucking showmances And someone please ban kristen stewart.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16001/31/2013

Please stop Justin Timberlake now.

And make a MOnique movie happen, pref not directed by Tyler Perry

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16101/31/2013

Mia Korf back on One Life To Live please. And Elena Goode is better than half of the young actresses in Hollyweird.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16201/31/2013

Discovery or chef Karl Wilder food activist.

I've seen him live and he is great with crowds...I am sure there is some way to make a show about healthy eating that is entertaining cause Bobby Deen is failing.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16301/31/2013

Please, Hollywood, give us some couples who are the same age, like real-life couples usually are!

You may not realize it, but having the leading lady be half the leading actor's age in every goddamn film is not believable. In fact, it's highly annoying.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16401/31/2013

I hope you all appreciate fully the ad that pops up when you click on the link to the story. Vive la chance!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16501/31/2013

Please Hollywood, don't give Ann Hathaway an Oscar. And FFS keep her away from James Lipton!

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16601/31/2013

Now you understand why I spend every penny on deleting any trace of Tig Negativity???

Now you guys can stop dissing and start your respecting of a SAVVY lesbian cancer warrior such as myself. The cost of cease and desists written by the great Marty Singer, have been worth every red CENT.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16702/01/2013

Screw Jerry Lewis--we want "The Day The Clown Cried" and we want it now!

And Julianne Hough(aka Jennifer Aniston jr.)is not gonna happen. So stop it.

by Professor Farnsworthreply 16802/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!