Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vanity Fair's 2013 Hollywood Issue Is Here

Ben Affleck, Emma Stone and Bradley Cooper get the cover shot.

Talk about Hollywood NOT casting age appropriate actresses! Two actors pushing 40 and 23 year old Emma Stone.

The foldout is Olivia Wilde with her clothes off (again), Kerry Washington, Quvenzhané Wallis, and Eddie Redmayne.

Just about the most boring Hollywood issue I've ever seen VF put together.

by Anonymousreply 7602/11/2013

Edgar Ramirez on page 350 kills it.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

She's in her early twenties, they are in their forties.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

Of course they put the black actresses on the gatefold.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

I have never seen Bradley Cooper look more gay.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Bradley Cooper was super hot in his Alias days, but is getting more and more ratfaced as he ages. His new hair is awful, too.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

We made bank for this issue!

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

Wow, they've been trying to shove Olivia Wilde down our throats for a few years now and it hasn't taken. Why is she even on the cover? And why Emma Stone? Isn't the Jan issue traditionally the Oscar one?

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

Olivia Wilde

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

How does this magazine get away with the minorities in gatefold shit *every* year? Is it even worth the time of an "actor of color" to even do the cover of this issue/

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

Olivia Wilde has about 10 projects in the works. We'll see a lot more of her.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

r10, I would no more expect a black person on the cover of Vanity Fair than I would expect Jessica Chastain to cover Essence.

It's really not worth the outrage, and I'm black.

What it does say for the black actors who are featured even on the inside is that they truly are the cream of the crop. I can't even mention Latino or Asian actors because there really aren't any of the stature to be featured.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

Olivia Wilde keeps on churning out movies nobody sees.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Vanity Faur desperately needs a new editor with fresh vision.

The Hollywood issues explore mined-out territory. How many "I don't even know who they are" so called stars can they put on a cover with the usual Marilyn/Film Noir/Golden Age feature stories taking up the slack.

And if it's not that it's Graydon's Camelot obsession. Bitch: that fucker practically got us into WW3. It was a happy bullet, OK?!!!

Meanwhile, Spanish and Italian Vanity Fair look fresh sexy and fun... everything the US edition hasn't been for YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

"Olivia Wilde has about 10 projects in the works. We'll see a lot more of her."

Yeah. Why do you think I'm fucking what's his name?

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

I liked the one with ScarJo

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

I agree with r14. Graydon Carter is an old fosslil who needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

That magazine hasn't been fun or interesting since about 15 years

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

Didn't Tab Hunter look good?

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2013

Olivia Wilde is awful. She doesn't look like a real person, she looks like an alien model. She's charisma-free. Talent-free. UGH. Get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

Is Emma giving them handjobs? If these are the three biggest stars today then that gives me the sads. And yes, what is a 23-year old girl doing with two forty-ish dudes? Typical Hollywood BS.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

I also liked the cover with Sophia Loren, Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

Do they still do those music issues ? I got one or two - one with Joni Mitchell next to Stevie Wonder and David Bowie on the gatefold cover, several years ago now - a decade ago maybe. I always think they are not really all there at the same time but photographed separately or in 2s and 3s and then all put together digitally.

Same with that Hollywood issue when they had Meryl, Sophia Loren, Catherine Deneuve, Vanessa Redgrave, Gwynneth, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and Penelope Cruz all together.

Last year's Hollywood issue was interesting with the Loren and Bardot, Fellini and Antonioni features. What are they covering this year ?

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2013

Ben Affleck isn't pushing forty, he's pulling it.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

Will it kill these racists to put people who aren't of european descent on the front cover? So embarrassing! Enough already!

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

What is the deal with Cooper's hair?

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

Is there an article about Tab Hunter? Or any articles about Golden Age Hollywood? When the magazine first began those were always the best.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

So funny all of them are shitty actors, esp Affleck and Stone!

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Ben Affleck isn't pushing 40.

He is 40.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

Emma Stone was nine when Affleck won his Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2013

It's the Golden Age of Average, or Below-Average!

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2013

[quote]Meanwhile, Spanish and Italian Vanity Fair look fresh sexy and fun... everything the US edition hasn't been for YEARS.

Oh you think so? Have you seen the current Italian VF cover? Huge unflattering photo of Jodie Foster with the words "lesbian" underneath.

Trouble with Olivia Wilde is she plays the useless girlfriend in all of the dozens of projects she's part of. It's a good career for someone who just wants to be a working actor, but not for someone they keep touting as a "star" in the making.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2013

That was great, R23.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

here's the picture of Edgar Ramirez that r2 mentioned. He is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

Here's the first one. As you can see VF has always held the tradition of putting the African American actress on the inside. First one (this was 1995) was Angela Bassett:

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

This Olivia Wilde thing isn't going to happen, and I wish they would stop trying to make it happen. Whatever "it" is, she doesn't have it, and she's not a very good actress either.

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

Say what you want about Olivia Wilde, but I applaud her ambition. That girl will do anything.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

From 1997 (Jada Pinkett and a raven-haired J-Lo are in the folded portion...

From left: Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Claire Danes, Renée Zellweger, Minnie Driver (reclining), Alison Elliott, Jada Pinkett, Jennifer Lopez, Charlize Theron, and Fairuza Balk

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2013

The pairing of old men/much younger women only appeals to old men. These doofuses don't realize that women have a LOT of spending power and aren't really into that cliche as much as the old geezers themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2013

R40 - Charlize was stunning there.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2013

I just looked at the issue at Walgreens, I thought it was awful. I love Bruce Weber's work and many of the photos were beautiful, but displaying them collage style instead of on single-pages or double-page spreads made it look like a cheap tabloid.

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2013

Charlize is always stunning.

Also hate the very teen girl magazine graphics they used on the cover. I can just hear the meeting, "We've got to skew younger. Let's put Emma and some fun graphics on the cover."

Europe doesn't do shit like that to VF because they might still expect their young people to aspire to and appreciate a slightly more sophisticated sensibility in things. Here in the US we are always ready to dumb down and support any thing labeled youthful and fun but what they really end up with is juvenile and boring.

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2013

They stopped doing the actress shoot after the year that Gabby Sidibe was left out. The biggest breakout actor/actress of the year and VF decided to go with a bunch of no names no one has heard of since.

This issue inspires no hope in the future. Affleck is going on twenty years in the business and they're trying too hard in pushing both Cooper and Stone (and I like Stone).

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2013

R44 the stylized typeface is part of Weber's aesthetic. Most people know this.

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2013

Where's the photo of no-talent Henry Cavill? I heard he was in the issue.

by Anonymousreply 4702/10/2013

I like Emma Stone, she does have presence and charisma...but that blonde hair has to go, makes her look more rat faced. Olivia Wilde's hype machine I'll never understand though. Boring personality, boring actress.

by Anonymousreply 4802/10/2013

VF is very inconsistent and always has been with regard to the coverage of celebs. Years ago they licked they asses of the Reagans, as well as writing a very disingenuous article about CK's marriage to Kelly.

On the other hand, they've written acerbic articles about famous people, too.

I used to read it monthly. The last issue I purchased had Katie Holmes on the cover. Tom's power has diminished and most people in Hollywood were happy she had out-manoeuvred Tom and the Co$. Privately he's much despised.

by Anonymousreply 4902/10/2013

Well at least we can br gratrful Graydon Carter did not use Annie Leibowitz to shoot the pics. Does her work still appear within Vanity Fair?

I have not read it in years; it used to be ESSENTIAL reading.

by Anonymousreply 5002/10/2013

Here's a bit of trivia:

Madonna has appeared on the most VF covers with 10 cover appearances.

Tom Cruise is second with either 8 or 9 cover appearances.

by Anonymousreply 5102/10/2013

Iirc, VF put Michelle Obama on the cover a few months after one of thier all-white actresses Hollywood issues.

VF always pulls shit like this and why not? They can't lose- the complaints create buzz and then they "make-up" for it a few issues later.

This time, if VF asks her to pose for their cover, I hope MO refuses to rescue them. Her stature is at an all-time high and is going to stay there, and, otoh, the tired snooze-worthy VF needs her more then she needs them.

If asked, I hope MO gives Carter big Fuck You by declining to pose for their cover.

by Anonymousreply 5202/10/2013

Ebony and Essence never put white people on the cover of their magazines.

I demand a Sandra Bullock Essence cover!

Damn racists!

by Anonymousreply 5302/10/2013

Are you really that obtuse, r53?

Ebony and Essence exist as a reaction to the fact that mainstream mags never put non-whites on their covers.

To equate Essence and Ebony with the Old Guard Vanity Fair is shallow and is telling of your total absence of any sense the history of race and mainstream culture.

by Anonymousreply 5402/10/2013

So true, R54.

by Anonymousreply 5502/10/2013

will the talentless and boring emma stone please just fuck off.!!

This overexposure really needs to stop

by Anonymousreply 5602/10/2013

Should we talk about the elephant in the room, that is to say, Bruce Weber?

by Anonymousreply 5702/10/2013

Old white men are so out of touch -- let someone else be in charge cause you're still pushing an outdated agenda that only appeals to other old white men.

by Anonymousreply 5802/10/2013

[quote]They stopped doing the actress shoot after the year that Gabby Sidibe was left out. The biggest breakout actor/actress of the year and VF decided to go with a bunch of no names no one has heard of since.

Are you serious? She didn't breakout. That movie was her film career.

It's pointless to see the cover of Vanity Fair as anything other than an effort to attract the kind of people who might buy a copy.

by Anonymousreply 5902/10/2013

[quote]It's pointless to see the cover of Vanity Fair as anything other than an effort to attract the kind of people who might buy a copy.

That's a very bigoted and small-minded way of thinking. I buy Vanity Fair and I'm black. Black people buy magazine's other than Ebony, Jet, Essence, Black Enterprisers, etc. Why not cater to everyone, and not just the caucasion demographic?

by Anonymousreply 6002/10/2013

[quote] That's a very bigoted and small-minded way of thinking

It's not a matter of bigotry. They know their audience and they cater to it. And I don't mean that audience would object to a deserving black actor on the cover, but neither do they insist on a quota.

by Anonymousreply 6102/10/2013

Their audience is not ALL white. How ignorant for them to think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 6202/10/2013

God, this magazine used to have some of the best articles. Interesting true crime stories, oral histories of different movies, tv shows, etc, features on new and old celebs.

Now, I rarely pick it up anymore ... I picked up this issue and about the only thing of interest to me is the article about the olden days of million dollar spec script sales.

The magazine is so huge and filled with advertisements. I guess it's still doing well enough. I've barely been able to find the table of content pages there anything else interesting in this issue ???

by Anonymousreply 6302/10/2013

The fact they're using huggy muggy Same-Olde-Faux-Straight-Shtick Bruce Weber is just embarrasing, and shows how desperately the mag needs a new editor who is connected to the zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 6402/10/2013

Is anyone else a fan of Jane Levy? IMO she's a prettier, funnier version of Stone, and I say this as someone who likes Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 6502/10/2013

Oh fuck off and die, R66. It's not about having black people on the cover for the sake of it, but there are plenty of viable and popular entertainers of color who are more than worthy of being on the cover of VF magazine. Earn your place? Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 6702/10/2013

r66 I don't think that's what anyone is saying. The Hollywood issue has traditionally profiled actors (some with good pr machines, some not) who are on the rise. This year, for example, they could have gone with Michael B. Jordan and Brit Marling to name a few - actors with interesting projects who are going to hit big. Personally I don't think there issue is race so much as caving to powerhouse agencies who for over big $$$ to promote their stars and vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 6802/10/2013

This issue is weak. The pictures are all over the map and there is no unifying theme. The story on Megan Ellison is a decent read.

by Anonymousreply 6902/10/2013

I miss the VF profiles of ancient Manhattan socialites like Nan Kempner and Jayne Wrightsman. Those were always run to read.

by Anonymousreply 7002/10/2013

The issue sucks because it was "styled" by Weber. All the issues that have been "styled/edited" by a single "name" i.e. Tom Ford, Judd Apatow, etc. have sucked.

Mr. Carter needs to stop that shit and run his magazine....perhaps hiring some real journalists, editors, writers, photographers, etc. instead of rich society trustifarians would do the trick.

At least they still publish letters to the editor....I hate that some mags (I'm talking to you New York) only print comments from bloggers and the like.

Also hate that newscasts now run view tweets on a banner at the bottom of the screen.

by Anonymousreply 7102/10/2013

Michael Jordon?!? Jesus H. Christ, just because someone is black doesn't mean they deserve to be on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 7202/10/2013

r72, the point of that post, I think is that if they wanted to do an issue with pop and feature people who might be interesting that we haven't seen a bazillion times, Michael B, Jordan could fit that bill. He is on the up and coming track. Formerly in a critically acclaimed tv show, decent guest spots on other things and a few good film turns to date. Ditto Brit Marling.

You could subsititute Anthony Mackie for MBJ if you don't like that idea. Given that he was in the Oscar winning Hurt Locker. Although he may have already been featured inside Hurt Locker's year.

As for race R66, VF sort of makes it an issue when Emma Stone who I like, is on the cover, but Kerry Washington who is in a nominated film and on a tv show that's doing fairly well at the moment and probably has a pretty good recognizability factor with the general public because of it, is in the fold. She's also closer in age to BC and BA.

I can see not wanting to put the little girl on the cover, but as far as earning her place. even if you think her nomination is a novelty nom, both she and her film are nominated. Emma not so much. Unless she is in one of the nominated films and I am misremembering. It's the Hollywood issue and the Oscars are a pretty big deal in Hollywood, right?

by Anonymousreply 7302/11/2013

Gosh yes, the Tom Ford issue was terrific, this Weber one isn't.

by Anonymousreply 7402/11/2013

[quote]Their audience is not ALL white. How ignorant for them to think otherwise.

Their audience IS almost all white. Over 73% white. Only 17% black. Whether it's right or not, they're serving their audience.

by Anonymousreply 7502/11/2013

Serving their audience by only having white faces on their covers? How stupid does that sound?

by Anonymousreply 7602/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!