Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why don't the majority of Americans eat lamb?

I'm not trying to be xenophobic with my post but I just find it very strange. My boyfriend is American and he had lamb for the first time at the age of 32. I have seen it in some supermarkets in the States but it's very expensive and usually imported from NZ or somewhere else. I really enjoy a good roast lamb and it's really as good as any beef steak.

by Anonymousreply 34106/03/2015

Hasn't been integrated into the melting-pot of American cuisine yet. Most recipes made by households in the U.S. that have a meat component are based around beef, pork or chicken, regardless of ethnicity or national background of person. This is just my theory. I wouldn't eat lamb though for karmic reasons. Silly, I know.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

Funny you say that R1 because I never had lentils growing up either. It was black-eyed peas or red beans. I'm Southern and maybe it had to to do with what was just grown here.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Where do you live, OP?

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

Except for those whose parents came to America from Greece or India, most people I know didn't grow up eating lamb & they say that the flavor is too strong.

Before I stopped eating meat, I loved ground lamb patties made with lots of garlic & served with mint jelly. And lamb curry always smells good at Indian restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

Maybe it has something to do with lambs being symbolic of childhood and innocence. We have lambs in nursery rhymes, as nursery decorations and stuffed animals. Most kids have been to petting zoos to see the baby lambs. They're too cute to eat.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

We had lamb, with the obligatory mint jelly, as children and it was tender and delicious. However as I got older I felt it was bad karma to eat baby animals.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

I'm with r11 -- no veal, no suckling pig, no lamb.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

Well, R9, I imagine in the Brits' case, it had to have been tastier knowing the chances were low it was from a mad cow.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Because of the price, my family only eats lamb on special occasions. I find it odd that most other Americans never eat lamb, too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

I don't eat leg of lamb because I HATE it. I liked lamb chops as a kid, but their way too expensive now.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

Lamb is bad for you. High in saturated fat. And it tastes nasty. Just sayin....

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

I recently had some lamb from CO that was delicious. The chef came out and told us he buys it from a certain rancher there because it doesn't have that strong taste that some comment on.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

70s TV ruined a generation from eating lamb. Two events:

- All of Walnut Grove succumbs to anthrax after eating tainted lamb on "Little House on the Prairie."

- Lizzie Borden was driven to murder after her evil father forced the family to eat spoiled mutton stew for breakfast. At least that was the implication in "The Legend of Lizzie Bordon" with Elizabeth Montgomery.

If Bewitched and the Ingalls weren't going to eat lamb, no way was I.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

I like lamb too but it's expensive if I buy it from a local source--like I buy all my meat products.

Even the big market lamb is usually more expensive than most other meats.

As far as eating baby animals go, I would like to try mutton but I've never seen it for sale in the US. I've heard it's tougher and gamier but heard it can be delicious if slowly braised.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

I don't eat that much lamb because tends to be expensive, unless you're eating kabobs or sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

Because it tastes like a barn.

When I had fresh lamb (in Greece), I couldn't believe how good it was.

In the US, nobody raises lamb (chicken, beef mostly) or even a lot of pigs. So what we do have is expensive and doesn't taste very good.

Wild game tastes better (deer, quail, duck).

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

The cattle industry is HUGE and has a lot of power.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

Because it tastes gamey, OP.

I just don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

Making a shepherds pie for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

R18, you forgot the Alfred Hitchcock show from the late 1950s where Barbara Bel Geddes kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

Americans used to eat lamb is the answer, but sometime in the 1970s they stopped, chiefly due to the expense.

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2013

The real problem is that there was no good fast food that was lamb based (sorry, Olga's Kitchen....)

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

It doesn't taste good.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

Because eating a cute fluffy baby lamb makes me feel baaa-aaaa-aaad!

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

Sheldon to Penny: The mean Indian lady was trying to make me eat meat that tasted like little balls of sweat.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

When I was very young (mid-to-late 1970s), we ate lamb pretty regularly.

I lived with an aunt who came from a large Italian family and we had lamb chops at least once a week. Usually just broiled, but they were delicious. Most of my childhood friends had never eaten lamb at all.

As I grew up, the quality of the lamb available declined. It was greasy and definitely didn't taste as good. Of course, it got more expensive and I don't see as much in the stores now.

I still do a roast leg of lamb about once a year, but I miss those wonderful lamb chops I grew up on.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013

Then you never knew anyone who could prepare it, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

LOL R31. Actually it does have a "sweaty balls" flavor to it.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

A Syrian guy I knew said the trick is to remove every speck of visible fat.

That's where the gamey flavor comes from.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

Your Syrian is wrong. It depends on what the lamb is fed, at what age it is killed and whether or not it was castrated.

Visible fat is an old Syrian wives tal.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

[quote]Actually it does have a "sweaty balls" flavor to it.

Oh, if only.

I hate lamb and have had it umpteen times in umpteen ways. There's the smell of old rancid socks being stewed, and then the nasty texture and off taste. Worst of all, one must make a point to be very careful not to reveal one's prejudice against lamb or well-meaning sorts will insist on preparing it for you in their own special ways, certain that the only reason you don't care for it is that you've never had it prepared properly.

Venison is another. And then there's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

Because it tastes gamey.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013

My partner grew up in Massachussetts, both parents were Scottish, and he loves lamb and will order it when we eat out or cook it at home. Being born in Europe, I was used to eating lamb. On the other hand, I've met a good number of North Americans who won't eat eggplant.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2013

Because eggplant is disgusting R39. The texture and taste makes me want to barf and don't you have to soak it or something?

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2013

Eggplant is like cilantro -- different (better or worse) to different people.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

Not soak. Salt it to drain moisture

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

Lamb sucks. Pure and simple. I've had leg of lamb, it's greasy and gamey. Lamb chops nothing special, actually boring. Then it's served with mint jelly and then you want to hurl.

Give me a rare Kansas City strip anytime.

Plus it's pricey.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

R7 I am from South Africa. We have lots of lamb here, as well as beef. I love a good steak but there's nothing like a roast rack of lamb, seasoned with rosemary, salt and pepper. It must also be cooked medium rare, just like a good steak. As for the gamey flavour, maybe the lamb in the US is different because I've never really noticed that. Most South Africans eat alot of lamb, especially bbq lamb chops. I think mutton is alot tougher and definitely has the gamey flavour about it, it also needs to be cooked for long on a low heat, ideal for curries.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2013

I love lamb and order it in restaurants, but it's very expensive in markets, as many in this thread have written.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2013

Kill an animal before it had much of a chance to have a life.... nice...

I can hear them screaming now...

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2013

R37 expresses well what I feel. I never had it much as a kid and just can't get myself to like the taste, texture or smell as an adult.

Meanwhile, I can't believe the "baby tastes" troll has not yet appeared in this thread. It loves to castigate anyone who does not love lamb for having "baby tastes."

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2013

That Sherry woman with the sock puppet really sealed it for us growing up in the sixties. "Lambchop" was the sock's name. It was a sweet act performed by an attractive blonde.

If you were to question Americans who grew up in the sixites I'll bet only 5% eat lamb.

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2013

Lamb is popular on the East Coast or in big cities. I fucking love it.

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2013

OP = Mary, having a little lamb.

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2013

I really like lamb. We only had it for special occasions when I was a kid.

As a lot of people have said, it's expensive so I normally don't buy it. I also live along and my favorite lamb dish is leg of lamb which is not practical when cooking for yourself.

I'll order it when eating out.

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2013

I make feta stuffed lamb patties and serve them in pita with a yogurt-dill sauce pretty often. I love lamb, but it can be expensive and I can only buy it frozen here in Kansas City.

My dad won't eat lamb because he grew up on a farm where sheep were raised. I'm honestly surprised he will eat any meat because his father (my grandfather) was a very overly emotional man and would cry like a baby when it was slaughtering time. He got very attached to his animals.

by Anonymousreply 5201/29/2013

I love lamb stew. I was surprised to discover that, over here, you call it Irish stew. I also like that rack thing. My mother makes it for Easter.

I love a leg of lamb because you get lots of leftovers for sarnies the next day. Cold lamb with mustard or some mango chutney on some nice bread is lovely.

I don't think the lamb is as good over here as it is in Ireland, though, but I still love it. Damn, now I want lamb.

by Anonymousreply 5301/29/2013

I like broiled lamb chops with honey mustard glaze. My local market carried it during the holidays but it was too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 5401/29/2013

Comes down to custom and practice.

In the U.S., lamb and turkey - as opposed to beef, pork and chicken - are often - though not always - considered exclusive holiday dinner fare.

Conversely, turkey is a major coldcut in the U.S., whereas chicken is a very minor one.

by Anonymousreply 5501/29/2013

My grandma used to make Farikal, a Norwegian stew type thing with cabbage (a lot like corned beef & cabbage except with lamb). Traditionally farikal is made with mutton but she always used lamb. It made the whole house stink.

by Anonymousreply 5601/29/2013

Because its not sold at McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 5701/29/2013

I had Icelandic lamb recently and it was nothing like Aussie or NZ lamb (which is what you get here in the US). It was closer to veal in appearance and taste. A rack of lamb with a nice Cab or Zin is a perfect dinner in my book.

by Anonymousreply 5801/29/2013

I love lamb, especially with mint jelly - Yum Yum Yum! However, it's expensive, and not that easy to find in supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 5901/29/2013

Because it's revolting, that's why.

by Anonymousreply 6001/29/2013

I'm in my 50's, born and raised in Boston in the 60's. We had lamb regularly but a lot of my friends had never tried it. Most didn't like it when they had it at my house.

I live in California now. I cook it at home and order it when out but I notice that a lot of people don't. One issue is that at my local grocery stores (Von's, Albertson's, Ralph's) they don't carry fresh lamb. It comes in these vacuum sealed packets and after sitting in liquid inside those bags, the taste and texture are weird. There is a butcher shop that carries fresh lamb but it's an extra stop and I don't always make the effort.

Now, of course, I really want some and I'm trying to decide if I should run out to the butcher's or if we should eat out. Curse you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 6101/29/2013

My mom never served it growing up so it was never inducted into my meal rotation as an adult. I have eaten it and liked it when I was a guest but I don't buy it myself.

by Anonymousreply 6201/29/2013

Because lamb tastes like shit. the aftertaste is horible.

by Anonymousreply 6301/29/2013

Here in Houston we have two places, Niko Niko's and Aladdin, close to one another on Montrose that serve Lamb Kebobs, and both are Heaven.

As is another place called Underbelly which sometimes features "Lamburger Helper" - amazing stuff.

I didn't have it as a child but boy I'm making up for it now.

by Anonymousreply 6401/29/2013

Like R61, I live in CA now. I grew up in the UK and we ate lamb pretty often. It's weird to me that you can't find fresh lamb in the grocery store. It is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 6501/29/2013

There is nothing better than real, well-spiced lamb shawarma. I haven't had it in ages. There used to be a place on Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn that had good shawarma, and one of the stores used to have it at the Atlantic Antic. I hear there is a place in Bay Ridge. I'll have to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 6601/29/2013

I don't eat "exotic" meats like lamb, goat, duck, etc. It creeps me out to eat cute little animals. I only eat chicken, beef and seafood.

by Anonymousreply 6701/29/2013

Lamb tastes gamey to me. Give me beef, pork or poultry.

by Anonymousreply 6801/29/2013

I lived in Astoria for a couple of years and around the corner from my apt was a butcher who hung a lamb, stripped of its fur, the the window. I almost fainted.

Agree with those who won't eat baby animals. I mean, Mary had a little lamb, not sheered and he'd follow her everywhere.

And then there's Clarice, and the silence ...

by Anonymousreply 6901/29/2013

I came from an Italian-American family. My mother -- God love her -- could bake award-winning cakes, cookies, pies, and bread. She did not like to cook, however. The lamb chops that she made were the most awful tasting food on earth -- well, maybe except for her pork chops. I often cut those dried out pieces of shoe leather that passed for a lamb chop into tiny bits and secretly fed them to the dog.

I have since had some exceptionally well prepared lamb in restaurants. But, I rarely see it on the menu, and I don't care to prepare it myself.

by Anonymousreply 7001/29/2013

I'm half-Greek and grew up eating it. But I don't like other meats that taste gamy to me, including the dark meat of poultry.

by Anonymousreply 7101/29/2013

Is she a great big fat lamb?

by Anonymousreply 7201/29/2013

Why should anyone have to eat lamb, wackjob/OP?

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2013

MAAAAARRRY!, had a little lamb.

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2013

Good cuts of lamb are hard to find. Most supermarkets don't carry it and if they do, it is expensive or poor quality.

Growing up, my town had real butcher shops ...

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2013

Something stinks to Holly!

by Anonymousreply 7601/29/2013

Americans are not among the most sophisticated cooks. Lamb is only expensive because Americans don't like it and farmers therefore don't invest in the production of lamb.

by Anonymousreply 7801/29/2013

R77 Isn't cabrito goat?

by Anonymousreply 7901/29/2013

Yes, R79, if you read what I wrote. It is young barbequed goat.

by Anonymousreply 8001/29/2013

R77 Sorry! My fault for trying to read too fast.

by Anonymousreply 8101/29/2013

Don't eat me, Lisa!

by Anonymousreply 8201/30/2013

I prefer mussels.

by Anonymousreply 8301/30/2013

Doctor! Doctor! The lambs are screaming again!! I could barely hear what was going on at the Golden Globes over there bah-ing. Did my speech go ok?

by Anonymousreply 8401/30/2013

Maybe for the same bizarre reason that, apart from at Xmas, it is nearly impossible to buy Turkey here in NZ.

by Anonymousreply 8501/30/2013

I love lamb, but many times, I've found it's not prepared well, or it's not really what one would consider lamb, but more like game or mutton. There used to be an arab deli where I'd get really good ground lamb, but after a while, it just became too much bother to make a special trip there, and also I moved away.

by Anonymousreply 8701/30/2013

r85, when I lived in NZ, I bought turkey mince for my cat. It was my impression that turkeys are raised in NZ chiefly for export. But I guess a few of them slip through for pet food.

That said, before I went vegetarian I couldn't eat lamb not just because it was nasty, but because my Kiwi neighbors had half a dozen lambs out in the season frolicking in the sun. There's no way something that cute ought to be eaten.

That, and my in laws (back in the states) eat it all the time, are horrendously bad cooks, and once served me a raw slab of lamb swimming in its own blood with mashed potatoes that were pink from the blood. Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 8801/30/2013

Rack of lamb with mint jelly was a classic dished served in "elegant" American restaurants until probably the end of the 1960s. Rack of Lamb, Beef Wellington, Beef Stroganoff, Steak Diane, Cordon bleu...

by Anonymousreply 8901/30/2013

Lamb has sort of a "Wild" taste to me, IMHO. I don't like it but I had a British BF who made me try his at The Outback (They serve Lamb). Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 9001/30/2013

Nothing ruins good lamb faster than mint jelly.

Good lamb likes rosemary and garlic not that fucking jelly.

by Anonymousreply 9101/30/2013

I prefer lamb to beef and like lamb as well as pork. Unfortunately for me, I have cancer, therefore I stick to vegetables at all times. I know I can eat small amounts of tissue protein but I figure, if one is going to be as alkaline as possible, there will be no meat or sugar for me.

by Anonymousreply 9201/30/2013

When I was growing up in the 60s, my uncle and every other man who had been in the navy in WWII hated the smell of lamb being cooked. Apparently mutton was served on board ships very often and it didn't taste good and the smell lingered.

My mom had a Pekingese dog who went insane at the smell of lamb being cooked. He would bark nonstop. We'd threaten him with the newspaper -- he'd just run under the couch and continue barking.

The last time I had rack of lamb was a few years agi in a restaurant i really loved. It was supposedly rubbed with spices but there was barely any meat on the bone and what there wast tasted like saturated tree bark. I never went ack there.

by Anonymousreply 9301/30/2013

Reza's in Chicago used to serve a terrific lamb chop.

by Anonymousreply 9401/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 9503/04/2013

I like the taste of lamb after it's prepared, but I find the smell of it cooking to be foul. I can't explain it, to be honest... how something that smells that bad while cooking can actually end up tasting fine, I don't know.

I wonder if the smell puts off other people, or if it's just a quirk of mine.

by Anonymousreply 9603/04/2013

I really don't know why. When I was growing up in Middle America people ate beef, pork and chicken and that was about it. Lamb chop was a puppet on the Shari Lewis show.

Don't the British eat a lot of lamb because they raise so much wool there? Wasn't it lamb-based agriculture that forced all the farmers off their lamb and sent them to the cities to starve and get the plague and eventually form labor unions and get crushed by Thatcher, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 9703/04/2013

It really is not that complicated. Different countries eat or don't eat certain things. Lamb is something that you would only find in speciality stores in the US.

No different than some countries eating horse or rabbit meat while others don't and think it is strange.

by Anonymousreply 9803/04/2013

But lamb is so yummy! Can't wait till Easter. We'll have lamb roast.

by Anonymousreply 9903/04/2013

If you google "dog barks smell lamb" you'll find that a lot of dogs freak out at the smell of lamb cooking.

Some people find the smell of lamb cooking to be unbearable. I have no problem with it, since we ate lamb a lot when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 10003/04/2013

OP is an agent for the Lamb Council Board or some other such organiztion.

How could you eat a lamb? It tastes yucky, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10103/04/2013

...and R101 is from the baby tastes squad...Lamb is AWESOME

by Anonymousreply 10203/04/2013

The answer lies in the US history books under the Cattle Wars.

by Anonymousreply 10303/04/2013

lambs are so cute and cuddly, how could you EAT them?

monsters! the lot!

by Anonymousreply 10403/04/2013

Oops, I meant google "dog barks lamb cooking."

Having seen this happen myself, I can only laugh at the lame-brained theories people offer about why this happens. "Maybe your rescue dog was in a fire when it was a puppy." "Maybe it's the heavy spices." "It's probably because of the attention it gets. Stop coddling your dog." "It's probably a pherome because the lamb was afraid when it was slaughtered."

Believe me, it's visceral. There's nothing psychological about it. Some people report their dogs get very upset at the smell of fertilizer.

Have you ever used blood meal in your garden? I use it in spring to keep the rabbits from eating my dwarf lilies. The first time I used it, there was this "explosion" from underneath my porch. It was a rabbit who'd been fast asleep, suddenly awakened by the smell. He bolted out of there.

Blood meal is a good rabbit repellent.

My uncle came over the house once when my mother was cooking lamb and he gagged when we opened the door and said, "I'll come back tomorrow!" He hated the smell of lamb cooking.

by Anonymousreply 10503/04/2013

When I was a kid, Greek restaurants made gyro with lamb meat but when I got to be a teen, they switched over to beef and chicken. I guess it was the cost.,

by Anonymousreply 10603/04/2013

Mutton is strong but lamb is good.

But lambs are full of scrapie and Americans don't want that shit over here. The Brits fucked up their sheep with scrapie, which is mad cow disease for sheep.

by Anonymousreply 10703/04/2013

Clarice Starling: I went downstairs, outside. I crept up into the barn. I was so scared to look inside, but I had to.

Hannibal Lecter: And what did you see, Clarice? What did you see?

Clarice Starling: Lambs. The lambs were screaming.

by Anonymousreply 10803/04/2013

I don't know about Americans but I grew up on a farm that was mostly sheep and I don't like the taste of lamb.

by Anonymousreply 10903/04/2013

r102 is a shill for the lamb council of USA or some other industry driven group. Think Co-intell

by Anonymousreply 11003/04/2013

I have a fairly high tolerance for pungent foods but even I have to admit cooking lamb at home isn't pleasant. I slow cooked lamb shanks a couple of weeks ago and the final result was delicious. The apartment though was rather gamey for a few hours after I opened up the shank packs.

by Anonymousreply 11103/04/2013

I'm an American who loves lamb. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 11203/04/2013

Because it tastes really nasty and we hate it.

by Anonymousreply 11303/04/2013

lamb is nasty

by Anonymousreply 11403/07/2013

Why don't Australians eat turkey?

by Anonymousreply 11503/07/2013

r012, I don't have baby tastes, just don't have a taste for babies.

by Anonymousreply 11603/07/2013

Because it's...disgusting?

by Anonymousreply 11703/07/2013

People who eat veal are just the absolute worst. if you're on a date and a person orders veal or lamb, excuse yourself to the restroom and don't EVER GO BACK!

by Anonymousreply 11803/07/2013

I guess they don't have turkey farms in australia.

by Anonymousreply 11903/07/2013

some people would eat the kidneys of albino children if it was on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 12003/07/2013

Yesterday, I took my mother to church to have the family Easter basket blessed.

For those of you who are not of Eastern European ancestry, an Easter basket doesn't mean hollow chocolate bunnies, marshmallow peeps or jelly beans. In Slavic cultures, the Easter basket contains meat, cheese, butter, eggs, salt, horseradish-and-beet mixture, etc.

If you do a traditional Easter basket, the meats would include lamb, ham, bacon and sausage. Looking around at the various baskets in church hall, everyone had ham; most of the sausage was kielbassa (a garlicy smoked sausage), but I saw some breakfast sausage. I don't think I saw any bacon or lamb.

I didn't realize until fairly recently that lamb should be in the basket. My mother said her mother would include lamb, but her family lived in the country and kept livestock. She added that lamb is hard to find in local grocery stores and when it was available it was either of poor quality or too expensive. She that was too bad since she like lamb and would liked to have included it in her basket

by Anonymousreply 12103/31/2013

Lambs have scrapie which is like Mad Cow Disease only in sheep.

Do you want to lose your mind? That's why them mideast peoples am nuts. They be eating sheeps.

by Anonymousreply 12203/31/2013

Australians eat Bush Turkey, which looks like a turkey, sounds like a turkey, tastes like a turkey, but brother, it ain't a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 12303/31/2013

Never ate lamb much before I lived in Asia. Now back in the US, we eat it quite a bit. We get ours from a rancher and it is really good.

by Anonymousreply 12403/31/2013

A rack of lamb can cost around $60. Considering ham and turkey go on sale during Easter time, its a no brainier what people are going to buy.

by Anonymousreply 12503/31/2013

About 15 years ago, I was integrated in the Indian-Arab community of my campus and was introduced to basmati rice. I introduced other people to it (it could only be bought at ethnic stores). Now it's part of the regular white/brown rice section. It takes time for ethnic foods to find their way in the Western mainstream markets, but with increasing globalization of cultures, it slowly happens.

by Anonymousreply 12603/31/2013

R126. Are you Al Gore?

by Anonymousreply 12703/31/2013

I was in my 20s the first time I had lamb on a trip to Greece. I dont think I have had it since then.

by Anonymousreply 12803/31/2013

Another meat question. Does anyone know where you find duck? Many pricier restaurants offer duck dishes on their menu (ex. duck and scallops, Duck l'Orange, Peking duck). The meat dept in your typical grocery store doesn't carry duck, so I am curious as to where to source it.

by Anonymousreply 12903/31/2013

We would have lamb chops from time to time but I find it more difficult to cook. Seems to get tough more easily than beef.

by Anonymousreply 13003/31/2013

R129 -- is there is more upscale, pricier grocery near you? Otherwise, as at the meat dept of your mainstream supermarket, they'll likely know where to send you.

by Anonymousreply 13103/31/2013

What do you mean, "He don't eat no meat?"

by Anonymousreply 13203/31/2013

I grew up with Shari Lewis and Lambchops. How could I eat lamb after that?? Lambs are too adorable & cuddly & small to eat.

by Anonymousreply 13303/31/2013

Greek (aka real) Easter is next Sunday, May 5th. It would be unthinkable to spend the day without roasting a leg of lamb or two and throwing a big party.

I'm Greek-American and grew up in the Bay Area. The hills used to be covered with sheep and goats. But at some point, we switched to a cattle economy. Now, all lamb is imported from NZ or AUS and is very expensive... unless you get it from a free-range/organic farm, and then it is even more expensive.

To me, US beef is grotesque, bland, and tough. I just don't eat red meat anymore. Madison Avenue has decided that Americans can't handle the sharp flavors of real food. When I visited Holland, the cow meat was Argentinian and grass-fed. It was wonderful. The US corn, cattle, and agribiz industry won't allow that here. That's probably why there's no lamb in America anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13403/31/2013

Lamb's bland.

by Anonymousreply 13603/31/2013

R129. Asian markets have duck.

by Anonymousreply 13703/31/2013

Lamb tastes like sweater!

Give me cow or pig.

by Anonymousreply 13803/31/2013

I had roast lamb for Easter dinner. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 13903/31/2013

For me it comes down to price. I only get it at the falafel place, and recently bought some at the store, but I'm not really into the great increase in price since I buy organic and local and meat is already pricy enough.

(Haven't read the thread. Maybe everyone else says the same thing)

by Anonymousreply 14003/31/2013

We didn't have it often but leg of lamb wasn't an uncommon family dinner, usually for Easter or a Sunday supper.

I am Irish Catholic on my mother's side (several generations) and lamb is a common dish in Ireland (saw sheep all over the countryside, too).

I wish it was more available in the US and not so expensive. I really love it.

by Anonymousreply 14103/31/2013

Simple. There is no powerful lamb meat lobby to come up with a snappy marketing strategy to get people to want lamb meat.

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Pork. The other white meat.

I feel like chicken tonight, chicken tonight.

Lamb? Nothing but a little kid's nursery song.

by Anonymousreply 14204/01/2013

I prefer shish-ka-bow-wow!

by Anonymousreply 14304/01/2013

Did anyone see Stephen Colbert and that idiot pig farmer who brought those cute little piglets to the studio? I'm done with ham.

by Anonymousreply 14404/01/2013

Lamb should be on sale now that Easter has passed.

by Anonymousreply 14504/01/2013

So R1 have any of your Greek aunties had grits or black-eyed peas? Do you consider them as unsophisticated as your "white person" stepmom?

by Anonymousreply 14604/01/2013

Because of the beef industry lobby.

by Anonymousreply 14704/01/2013

Lambs won't eat corn.

by Anonymousreply 14804/01/2013

I love lamb and venison. I think venison is the only honest meat because you have to work to get it. Not so much with lamb, but I love it too much to have scruples.

by Anonymousreply 15004/01/2013

Lamb is buck nasty.

by Anonymousreply 15104/03/2013

I'm from Massachusetts too, and in my late 40s, my dad is of Scottish background, and my mom is Irish and Czech. We had lamb regularly, and although I hated the smell while cooking, I really enjoy it. When I worked at an Italian restaurant, there was a boneless marinated leg of lamb on the menu, served in slices like a London Broil. It was the best thing on the menu, not muttony at all, and incredibly tender.

by Anonymousreply 15204/03/2013

I always liked lamb, I kind of like the gaminess. However the last few times I had it in a restaurant, it had absolutely no taste.

by Anonymousreply 15304/04/2013

We'll be getting more in the future. There's a destructive European weed called spotted knapweed invading the cattle ranges that cattle won't eat but sheep will.

by Anonymousreply 15404/04/2013

We had lamb all the time. 100% Irish background, if that means anything.

by Anonymousreply 15504/05/2013

grilled lamb is DELISH

by Anonymousreply 15604/05/2013

Lamb is bad for you. Very fatty.

by Anonymousreply 15704/30/2013

lamb is nasty

by Anonymousreply 15805/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 15907/22/2013

I love Lebanese food

by Anonymousreply 16007/25/2013

I thought there were more lamb in Montana than people.

All we get is New Zealand lamb which is OK but sure American lamb would be better.

by Anonymousreply 16108/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 16208/15/2013

Because they don't know how to cook it properly.

by Anonymousreply 16308/15/2013

Much that is sold as lamb is really mutton.

by Anonymousreply 16408/15/2013

It's icky!

by Anonymousreply 16508/15/2013

Do people fry it?

by Anonymousreply 16609/03/2013

Lamb chops are one of my favorites! My partner and I eat local lamb all the time here in New Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 16709/03/2013

[quote]I liked lamb chops as a kid, but their way too expensive now

Same here, and several others have noted this as well. It seemed to get expensive about 15 years ago. Not sure why. Was there some restrictions put on imports or something?

by Anonymousreply 16809/03/2013

My grandmother made the most exquisite Greek of lamb. She was Swedish, my grandfather was Greek.

It was a very rare occasion for her to do it, but always special and delicious. I made it for a dinner party I threw last year and everyone loved it. But the price of a leg of lamb? I nearly had to sell a kidney to afford it.

by Anonymousreply 16909/03/2013

Sorry, that was supposed to be "Greek Leg of Lamb."

by Anonymousreply 17009/03/2013

OP, my mother was a very good cook and she served lamb periodically at home. It always tasted odd to me and my brother refused to eat it. If you knew my brother, you'd know it had nothing to do with a love for furry creatures.

by Anonymousreply 17109/03/2013

My mom made slow roasted lamb chops- fattier cuts- and dredge them in flour, fry them till just browned- and finished them in the oven. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 17209/03/2013

It's probably cheaper to graze cattle than lambs.Bottom line in the US is, "what's the cheapest thing I can do? What's the lowest price I can pay?"

by Anonymousreply 17309/04/2013

Because calves and piglets may be cute, but lambs are outrageously adorable. I used to eat lamb till I actually met a lamb. Never touched another lamb chop.

by Anonymousreply 17409/04/2013

Ya gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 17509/04/2013

lamb I love - when prepared correctly, I believe that too many north americans just simply can't prepare it well.

by Anonymousreply 17609/04/2013

If you have to bake it smothered in garlic and serve it with mint jelly, logic would suggest it's not worth eating to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 17709/04/2013

My mother made leg of lamb for special occasions when I was growing up. I don't eat it now because baby lambs are so cute they way they gambol about. Can't eat them.

by Anonymousreply 17809/04/2013

It is very high in saturated fat.

by Anonymousreply 17909/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 18009/04/2013

I can't eat lamb. I just can't. I had someone cook lamb chops for me once and I nibbled at it to be polite, but the taste was terrible and the thought of it was worse.

by Anonymousreply 18109/04/2013

after I saved poor Catherine the lambs stopped screaming

by Anonymousreply 18209/04/2013

I don't get the logic of not eating lamb because it's too cute.

Let's see:

Cow = not cute enough. Eat.

Fish = scaly and low on the cuteness scale. Eat.

Lobster and crab = look like giant insects; not cute. Eat.

Shrimp = eat poop at bottom of ocean floor; not cute. Eat.

Turkey. Chicken. Pig. Not cute. Not cute. Not cute. Eat. Eat. Eat.

God made me a carnivore. Eat I'm hungry enough and it won't kill me, I'll probably eat it.

Unless it's human meat (because that's just gross).

by Anonymousreply 18309/04/2013

Americans don't eat lamb because they can't afford it. Their white trash parents weaned them directly from the breast on to a bland and constant diet of McDonalds, Burger King, and straight sugar.

In short, they don't eat lamb because they don't know any better. This, incidentally, can be applied to nearly everything puzzling about Americans.

Americans just don't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 18409/04/2013

I won't eat lamb because I always think of Bambi and I feel sooo guilty. I still have a LOT of baggage from childhood!

by Anonymousreply 18509/04/2013

Funny people keep going on about lamb as being something Greeks know all about because lamb isn't that common/popular in Greece either. Yes, you will find it here and there - and at Easter, of course, which actually underlines the fact that it's not an "everyday" food. But, it's not as common as pork, beef or chicken in Greece (or Cyprus) by any means.

Lamb isn't that tasty, anyway. Very greasy.

by Anonymousreply 18609/04/2013

R186 Bambi was venison, not lamb.

by Anonymousreply 18709/04/2013

R40 - ditto. Aubergine is foul. My husband makes a mean moussaka with minced lamb but I always have to leave the sliced aubergine - it's like slime.

by Anonymousreply 18809/04/2013

Lamb is expensive here. The beef industry (and the corn that feeds it) is government subsidized to hell and back so it's much cheaper than lamb. And that defies logic but there you have the U.S. food industry.

by Anonymousreply 18909/04/2013

Raspberry vinegar + garlic + rosemary + olive oil. Anoint well-trimmed loin lamb chops with this mixture,let stand one hour,salt and pepper to taste, then broil or grill to medium. Truly one of the foods of the gods. I believe many people hate lamb because they've never had it prepared properly. So many are subjected to leg of lamb, which IS stronger flavored, due to it's increased muscle activity, as opposed to rib or loin chops. Also, there's a sac(referred to as the "kernel") in the leg that contains all sorts of bitter flavors, which bursts as the leg cooks, permeating the flesh with that "high taste" so many find objectionable. A butcher can easily remove this. Have him bone and butterfly the leg to make it easier to carve once it's cooked. Lamb is quite expensive as noted upthread, it behooves you to prepare it correctly, so you get your money's worth. Decadent dinner of the decade? Lobster salad, lamb chops, orange/chocolate mousse. You'll thank me.

by Anonymousreply 19009/04/2013

Why can't some people accept that people have different likes and dislikes? Just because you love lamb, doesn't mean that everyone else has to find it delicious as well. Is there no food in this world that you don't personally care for?

by Anonymousreply 19109/04/2013

The lambs with the most adorable eyes are always the most delicious.

by Anonymousreply 19209/04/2013

I live in Ireland, we have lamb at least once a fortnight and I think it is delicious. I found out on another forum that the majority of Americans don't eat lamb and of course I googled it and found this conversation. then I saw some comments relating to the karma of eating baby animals and people were mentioning suckling pig, veil and lamb. I don't think that many people know that all of the chicken sold in supermarkets is killed between the ages of six weeks old and eight weeks old and it is probably the most widely eaten meat in the world. So many people don't realize that they are in fact eating baby chickens.

by Anonymousreply 19301/15/2014

I get wonderful Australian lamb and New Zealand lamb (NZ is my favorite) at Costco. You can buy an entire lamb for under 4.00 a pound. Lamb chops are cheaper than most of the fish available at Costco. Wonderful boned legs of lamb go for about 5.00 a pound and the chops, which are beautiful, run about 7.00 a pound. Hell, at Whole Foods, ground beef costs nearly as much.

by Anonymousreply 19401/15/2014

Scrapie is like mad cow disease, but much more widespread.

by Anonymousreply 19501/15/2014

Thank you for the tip R195 - I don't know why I hadn't thought of looking for lamb at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 19601/15/2014

Time to get fucking real:

by Anonymousreply 19701/15/2014

Time to get fucking veal!!

by Anonymousreply 19801/15/2014

In the 1800s there was actually a huge conflict between the ranchers and those who raised lamb in the West. It wasn't possible to graze them in the same area because of the way the sheep stripped the grass. The cattle ranchers ended up winning the battle and that's why there isn't much lamb eaten in the States, because people haven't generally grown up eating it.

I think the lamb that was available until pretty recently was gamey tasting but with the introduction of New Zealand lamb and Colorado raised lamb, the gaminess has gone away.

My mother was Italian and grew up eating lamb, as did I, so I always order it when I see it on the menu, but honestly, I only make a rack of lamb a couple of times a year. It's expensive and you need a lot of it to feed even two people. My guess is that it's one of those foods that used to be dirt cheap but now is popular with the wealthier foodie types. I know this was true with veal when I was younger.

by Anonymousreply 19901/15/2014

The truth is most "liberals" don't give a SHIT about the humane slaughter of animals.

I've already given up on the conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 20001/15/2014

Love the taste of lamb, but it's just too high in cholesterol. I can hear my arteries slamming shut whenever I eat it.

by Anonymousreply 20201/15/2014

Grew up eating lamb.

Mother used to fix leg of lamb for Sunday dinner on a regular basis.

Chances are if your "lamb" is tasting gamey - it's not lamp it's mutton.

by Anonymousreply 20301/15/2014

An academic article about it.

by Anonymousreply 20401/15/2014

Yuck, I can't stand lamb and we ate it all the time growing up. Of course, my mother is (and was) a terrible cook....

by Anonymousreply 20501/15/2014

I love lamb. But OP is right. It's not pushed enough in the flyover states, I guess. I love minced lamb, roast lamb, rack of lamb, shoulder chops, pounded baby center chops. Mixed chopped lamb and veal makes a fabulous meatloaf. (I add yogurt and cumin seeds to bind and flavor.) Lamb stew in a creamy sauce is also a favorite. Some people find it too tasty, I guess. It,s not subtle , but you can work with it.

by Anonymousreply 20601/15/2014

The Depression killed America's taste for mutton and, by extension, lamb.

Both of my parents grew up with mutton as a staple (Midwest) and considered it to be the worst smell in the world.

by Anonymousreply 20701/15/2014

Why do we eat lamb but not sheep?

by Anonymousreply 20801/16/2014

Lambs are younger and cuter, r209, and therefore more tender and delicious. Same reason I'll eat a twink but not a bear.

by Anonymousreply 20901/16/2014

There's a hot new Chinese franchise here in New York, Xi'an Famous Foods - they do lamb burgers, soups with lamb, basically they use lamb like McDonald's uses beef. And it's very affordable. The line is ALWAYS out the door, particularly in nice weather.

I stopped by the other day on my way to work - oo, it was good - I will say that it wasn't really better than Chinatown's better places, but of course, Chinatown is downtown, not Midtown.

So anyway, if you want to try lamb done right, that is a suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 21001/16/2014

I am not a fan of lamb but lamb burgers can be delicious

by Anonymousreply 21101/16/2014

R194, I don't think we're bothered by eating 6-8 week old chickens. We eat a shitload of eggs here in the US and I'm pretty sure we know what they are.

by Anonymousreply 21201/16/2014

Because it tastes like lamb.

by Anonymousreply 21301/16/2014

r178 Mint jelly? That's for the UNinitiated. The mint thing is a holdover from the old days, when lamb was usually only available in the Spring. One of the few green things available at that time of year was mint, so it was a natural go-with, and helped to mask the "high flavor" of lamb, or, mutton dressed as lamb(more often than not)

My grandmother was a terrific cook, and she used to make a baked lamb shoulder chop(unavailable, as far as I've been unable to find them) dish. Layers of thick-sliced potatoes and the thin chops, brushed with red wine vinegar and olive oil, salt,black pepper, and bay leaves tucked here and there. Bake foil-covered, then remove foil to allow to crisp up and concentrate the juices. Yum-MEE!

by Anonymousreply 21503/30/2014

My father used to cook lamb chops for the family when I was a kid and I still love them to this day - usually have them once a week.

by Anonymousreply 21603/30/2014

I read the meals if mutton during ww1 and 2 turned off millions of Americans to anything related to sheep.

by Anonymousreply 21803/30/2014

article on aversion to lamb

by Anonymousreply 21903/30/2014

b/c it tastes terrible rabbit also tastes terrible

by Anonymousreply 22004/01/2014

Americans are very conservative especially in the south. They eat the same thing over and over again: fried chicken, corn, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, beans and beansand again beans. Met people who never had avocadoes, never bought garlic and so much more.

by Anonymousreply 22104/03/2014

The South is much more adventurous than the middle where they eat a bland and boring diet.

by Anonymousreply 22204/03/2014

Roadkill is not "adventurous", r223

by Anonymousreply 22304/03/2014

Some of you guys need to seriously travel more. The South does indeed use garlic and avocados, jalapenos and we have Cajun and Creole. There is also a popular stew called Plantation stew which uses lamb and we love our spices. Christ....

Personally, the only lamb I really like is the Colorado lamb which seems to be missing that musky, gamey taste. I have an Indian place near me that has lamb chops that are too die for. Yes, shock, we have Indian food in Houston as well as a large Indian population.

by Anonymousreply 22404/03/2014

I love lamb. Used to have it every Easter at Grandma's house.

by Anonymousreply 22504/03/2014

Lamb tastes nasty

by Anonymousreply 22604/03/2014

We had lamb chops all the time growing up (60s) and it must have been cheap or my mother would not have bought it.

by Anonymousreply 22704/03/2014

r2, but eating a cow, pig or chicken won't give you bad karma? Is it because no one has compared Christ to them?

by Anonymousreply 22804/03/2014

[quote]Roadkill is not "adventurous", [R

Roadkill is delicious!

by Anonymousreply 22904/03/2014

I am hosting dinner on Easter Sunday. I will prepare a leg of lamb, a ham and kielbassa as the main course. Not everyone like leg of lamb, so there will be ham. My family is Eastern European, so kielbassa is a must.

Any recommendations for a wine that goes well with both leg of lamb and ham?

by Anonymousreply 23004/06/2014

RED wine

by Anonymousreply 23104/06/2014

What if one of your guests is vegetarian, r231?

by Anonymousreply 23204/06/2014

I cannot stand the taste of lamb. Won't eat it.

by Anonymousreply 23304/06/2014

It's very common in my country to eat lamb during Easter. It's Easter soon and that means more yummy lamb. I can't wait. I love lamb. It tastes really good imo.

by Anonymousreply 23404/06/2014

Lamb smells disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 23504/06/2014

[quote]Americans are very conservative especially in the south. They eat the same thing over and over again: fried chicken, corn, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, beans and beansand again beans. Met people who never had avocadoes, never bought garlic and so much more.

^ Retard alert!

by Anonymousreply 23604/06/2014

[quote]I don't think that many people know that all of the chicken sold in supermarkets is killed between the ages of six weeks old and eight weeks old and it is probably the most widely eaten meat in the world. So many people don't realize that they are in fact eating baby chickens.

Oh, boo hoo hoo. It makes no difference. Stop equating animals with humans. Bambi lovers are stupid. The ones who eat meat are hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 23704/06/2014

[quote] Any recommendations for a wine that goes well with both leg of lamb and ham?

Any wine that tastes good.

The red and white commandments don't exist anymore. Just serve a wine that you like.

by Anonymousreply 23804/06/2014

I am also serving scalloped potatoes, cheese-garlic mashed potatoes possibly couscous for the starch; I will probably bake a few potatoes. For the vegetable course, I will make a spinach casserole, corn and a vegetable medley (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, etc) and i have a corn souffle recipe that I might try. For dessert, there will be fruit and nut rolls that I bought at church, chocolate cake and pie.

In my family, vegetarians are like Republicans: nice people to be sure, but we don't know if we know any

by Anonymousreply 23904/06/2014

You are eating the adorable children of spring.

by Anonymousreply 24004/06/2014

In addition to the taste, which is vile, there's something about eating lamb that just seems gross to me. I don't eat red meat, either (health reasons), but do eat chicken, turkey, and white fish.

by Anonymousreply 24104/06/2014

Everyone saying they won't eat lamb for ethical reasons I hope you are eating beef, chicken and pork from real free range pasture raised/ grass fed suppliers. Otherwise you are eating animals that have been tortured their whole lives and have so many antibiotics in them from feeding them food they can't process.

Watch any documentary on the subject and you will be horrified.

by Anonymousreply 24204/06/2014

No one eats it because it tastes like crap.

by Anonymousreply 24304/06/2014

by Anonymousreply 24407/17/2014

taste too gamey. yuck!

by Anonymousreply 24507/17/2014

Lamb is not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 24608/04/2014

How about barbecue lamb?

by Anonymousreply 24708/28/2014

Lamb is good for you.

by Anonymousreply 24808/28/2014

That would be like eating a labradoodle!

Noooooooooo! Not the fury little Lilybear!

by Anonymousreply 24908/28/2014

lamb is not good for you

by Anonymousreply 25010/06/2014

It's a good question. Particularly since lamb is so fucking yummy. I think it's probably for sentimental reasons. The same reason I, for instance, don't eat rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 25110/06/2014

Because it smells like death

by Anonymousreply 25210/06/2014

Watch a lamb being born and then take its first steps. Then ask that question again.

by Anonymousreply 25310/08/2014

I really like horse meat.

by Anonymousreply 25410/08/2014

You don't eat NO MEAT??!! Ehhh,that's ok...I make lamb for you.

by Anonymousreply 25510/08/2014

OP is a kiwi with a freezer full of unsold lamb!

by Anonymousreply 25610/08/2014

I love lamb. Lamb chops on the charcoal grill, Leg of lamb, lamb sausage are all delicious.

by Anonymousreply 25710/08/2014

by Anonymousreply 25810/28/2014

What about sheep? Do people eat sheep???

by Anonymousreply 25910/28/2014

Mary had a little lamb. She did, I remember it well. Anyway, it's fleece was as black as soot. Any everywhere that Mary went, it's sooty footy put!

by Anonymousreply 26010/28/2014

Mary had a little lamb. Her father shot it dead! And now she takes her lamb to school, between two loaves of bread!

by Anonymousreply 26110/28/2014

Because it tastes like sweat.

by Anonymousreply 26210/28/2014

Mary had a little sheep. With it she used to go to sleep. The sheep turned out to be a ram, ...and Mary had a little lamb.

Oh please stop me! I can't help myself. I have like 50 more of these.

by Anonymousreply 26310/28/2014

Isn't lamb really sheep? Or what's also called mutton? The young are probably less gamey. Ha I guess I answered my own question.

I like goat too especially the way Trinidadians prepare them. Goat roti nom nom.

by Anonymousreply 26410/28/2014

One of Aristotle Onassis' favorite food was unborn lamb

by Anonymousreply 26510/28/2014

Goat makes an excellent ham.

A friend made Mocetta with red beans....amazing soup.

by Anonymousreply 26610/29/2014

I love lamb

Lamb chops with Rosemary, green beens and pumpkin/potato mash

by Anonymousreply 26710/29/2014

Lamb = young sheep Mutton = old sheep

Mutton is tougher and more gamey in flavor. Mutton is the poor man's lamb.

by Anonymousreply 26810/29/2014

Don't forget hogget, which is middle-aged sheep!

I live in a farming community and eat mutton regularly. It's full of flavour if you cook it slowly.

by Anonymousreply 26910/29/2014

Oh, the other thing about lamb is that it's a good meat product in otherwise inhospitable locations. So, in the UK, it's produced on hilly terrain in Wales and the north of England that isn't much cop for either beef or crops. Many UK environmentalists argue for it as a good use of land.

by Anonymousreply 27010/29/2014

Can't eat lamb without mint jelly!!

by Anonymousreply 27110/29/2014

R269, R270... these queens bitching about how disgusting lamb is do not know what they are missing out on. Roast lamb is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 27210/29/2014

Nothing ruins lamb like mint jelly.

by Anonymousreply 27310/29/2014

Indeed, R272.

I roast a leg of lamb directly on the oven shelf (yes, it's a pain doing the dishes) and let the fat drip down on a tray of vegetables to baste and roast them. Wonderful meal, if not the healthiest.

Britain also has such a strong history in the wool trade, going back well over a thousand years. America doesn't. That, and America's vast land resources all wasted on environmentally-unfriendly beef, are probably the main reasons for the difference in consumption.

by Anonymousreply 27410/29/2014

I don't like the taste. Too strong and pungent. Also, it is not a healthy food.

by Anonymousreply 27510/29/2014

[quote]Also, it is not a healthy food.

Compared to what the majority of Americans eat, it is.

by Anonymousreply 27610/29/2014

Koala bear stuffed with puppies is a Thanksgiving treat.

by Anonymousreply 27710/29/2014

[quote]Koala bear stuffed with puppies is a Thanksgiving treat.

Or, as we call it at my house, Australian Passover.

by Anonymousreply 27810/29/2014

It might be a red meat, but it's a lot healthier than most red meats because it's rarely produced with any hormones or additives. Lamb is a free range meat. I'd eat it over industrially produced beef or pork any day.

by Anonymousreply 27910/29/2014

R274, why don't you purchase a baking pan that has a v-rack? That's what I have. Mine is high enough to put the vegetables in the bottom and it isn't too bad to clean up after I'm finished.

by Anonymousreply 28010/29/2014

R280 What a cool toy! If I can find one available in the UK, I will buy one. Merci bien.

by Anonymousreply 28110/29/2014

I tried lamb a few times and hated it.It tasted like dead sheep.

by Anonymousreply 28210/30/2014

Exactly the reason why lamb tastes better than beef.

by Anonymousreply 28310/31/2014

Indeed. Do Americans eat much in the way of venison? A farm near me farms red deer - also free range. It's less gamey than wild venison but it has fat/cholesterol levels comparable with white meats not red meats. Because deer are very susceptible to transport stress and the farmer believes pre-slaughter stress produces hormones that ruin the flavour of the meat, he qualified as a slaughterman and has an abattoir on the premises. The meat is wonderful - flavourful, healthy and not particularly expensive.

by Anonymousreply 28410/31/2014

Funny you should say that r39. I am Australian and love roast lamb with mint jelly . We were served it at school and home and until this thread I pretty much assumed we all just ate it.

by Anonymousreply 28510/31/2014

R284 well priced venison, please share the source. Horrific prices are all I can find.

R285 I am so sorry you never got proper lamb and had to eat it with that crap mint jelly.

Try it with a cracked green olive and garlic sauce.

by Anonymousreply 28610/31/2014

My supplier.

by Anonymousreply 28710/31/2014

I don't know, except for the price (loin lamb chops currently $11.99/lb. in my supermarket; add $$ for a Wegman's).

Love broiled lamb chops, roast rack of lamb, shoulder chops in a tagine, ground lamb in moussaka or as meatballs in cous-cous.

Haven't eaten beef since the UK's Mad Cow scare (can't give blood, either, because of time spent) and don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 28810/31/2014

[quote]That, and America's vast land resources all wasted on environmentally-unfriendly beef, are probably the main reasons for the difference in consumption.

Beef is not by definition environmentally unfriendly. It is the way it is mass produced that makes it not only environmentally unfriendly but also inhumane.

But it keeps the price down - which seems to be what matters to most people.

by Anonymousreply 28911/01/2014

I understand this, R289. Perhaps I should have phrased it "America's land resources used to farm beef in environmentally-unfriendly ways". The point still stands: lamb production does not require factory farming and, as such, is inimical to America's food production culture. Additionally, it is a suitable use of otherwise difficult to cultivate land - important in the (small) UK and much less important in the (huge) US.

The fact remains that factory-produced meat is less healthy than free range meat. Factory chickens have similar fat levels to red meat, for instance.

Personally, I'd rather spend the same money and eat good meat several times a week and vegetarian several times, than eat crap meat daily. This is from every aspect - the flavour of the food, the healthiness of the food, supporting local businesses, etc etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 29011/01/2014

R290 - yes you should have phrased it differently. Because the way you phrased it was wrong.

But you still don't seem to understand. Neither beef or lamp production requires factory farming.

As a matter of fact beef,like lamb, can be raised in a very environmentally friendly fashion that effectively turns plants which humans aren't able to digest into meat which humans can digest.

I also think if you do some research into lamb production in the UK you will find that a lot of lamb is not produced on difficult to cultivate land but in areas where the land could be cultivated. Sheep are suited to difficult to cultivate land - it isn't required. Therefore sheep farmers will use whatever land is available and keeps the cost down.

You also don't seem to understand agribusiness n the US or the UK. In both countries land is used in the most cost effective fashion. Regardless of how big a country is - whatever makes the most money is how the land is used.

by Anonymousreply 29111/01/2014

R287 Thanks for that. Those are about half the prices of the US but they won't ship to NY. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 29211/01/2014

I think we disagree but are also getting away from the (well, my) original point. The question is why don't the majority of Americans eat lamb? People are saying "I don't like the taste". But I'm saying it's more likely to be a) because it doesn't have a 1,000-year history of sheep production like the UK does; b) its landbank isn't restricted in what meat it can produce like the UK's is; and c) American concentration on industrial methods of meat production isn't suited to sheep production.

What makes economic sense is a different question - right?

You're welcome. There must be similar small scale US producers, right?

by Anonymousreply 29311/01/2014

R293 yes there are similar small scale producers and they charge a FORTUNE for the stuff. The same as 60 to 80 dollars per kilogram.

by Anonymousreply 29411/01/2014

Sorry that should have said the same at 60 to 80 pounds per kilo.

by Anonymousreply 29511/01/2014

If it's any consolation, you'd pay at least half as much again for the exact same meat at a quality butcher in London. The availability of affordable, high quality, locally-produced food is one of the reasons I got out of the city when I did. We have rockin' cheese, too!

by Anonymousreply 29611/01/2014

I've gotten meat from this place before. The most melt in your chicken I've ever had. I even fried one because it was so good it reminded of my great grandmother's fried chicken. She'd go out to the coop and wring it's neck. It was that fresh. Great quality bacon too.

by Anonymousreply 29711/01/2014

Forgot to add I'm ordering one of their turkeys for Thanksgiving this year.

by Anonymousreply 29811/01/2014

Mint jelly ruins lamb. It's good with just garlic and oregano and other herbs. I actually found a lamb I like better than Australian. It's from Colorado and doesn't that musky taste that other lamb does.

by Anonymousreply 29911/01/2014

How is it strange. People tend to eat what is produced in a country. Lamb production is not big in the us.

And it is not like lamb is eaten all of the world.

by Anonymousreply 30011/01/2014

r146 Exactly. Why is it bad or a sign of unsophistication to not eat a particular meat?? I mean pumpkin isn't really popular outside of north America. But I would never say this is due to close mindedness.

Historically lamb wasn't really big. And don't blame industrial meat production, because this is a recent phenomenon. In the early 20th century and 19 century the US wasn't a major lamb country.

It is like a Marylander being shocked that someone in the interior of the US doesn't really eat seafood.

I only eat lamb when I am eating at a Mediterranean or middle eastern themed restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 30111/01/2014

r284 Deer hunting is big in Pennsylvania so I imagine they eat a lot of it there.

by Anonymousreply 30211/01/2014

I don't eat lamb. I am Christian so it is a sin to eat lamb since it was a part of Jesus. And that would just be disgusting

by Anonymousreply 30311/01/2014

When I was a child in the U.S. my mother would make lamb chops for us every few weeks. Ugh. I can STILL smell that horrible stink 30 years later! The smell of cooked lamb chops does not entice.

by Anonymousreply 30411/01/2014

Lamb is FULL of fat!

by Anonymousreply 30511/01/2014

I've posted this before but here I go again. The cattle/sheep wars in the 1800's settled this dispute. Cattle won and is king.

by Anonymousreply 30611/02/2014

And I loved that old commercial set to Aaron Copeland's Hoe-Down for the American Beef Council and narrated by sexy cowboy Sam Elliott.

by Anonymousreply 30711/02/2014

Lamb meat has a really distinctive taste that Americans aren't really accustomed to. I like it though, because of my early exposure to indian food. Goat cheese, however, is one thing I've never been able to enjoy. It's just got a strong flavor that reminds me of stockyards or something.

by Anonymousreply 30811/02/2014

Goat cheese is definitely very strong tasting but I like it paired with fruit. I have a recipe for pears stuffed with herbed goat cheese then wrapped in bacon and baked. Those were eaten up fast.

by Anonymousreply 30911/02/2014

Thanks, R306. Something new to this European.

by Anonymousreply 31011/02/2014

R301 the middle is now filled with sushi restaurants, I would not eat there but your assertion is no longer true.

by Anonymousreply 31111/02/2014

You are welcome R309. This part of our history is often overlooked even here.

by Anonymousreply 31211/02/2014

Because I don't feel right eating animals. Period. Especially babies treated horribly and cruelly.

by Anonymousreply 31311/02/2014

I'll be awake all night pondering this enigma.

by Anonymousreply 31411/02/2014

My stepfather and his sons hunt so I've had venison, wild boar and elk. If prepared right it's good. The wild boar is made into sausage mixed with regular pork. The best I had was at a high end restaurant who had venison in a blackberry glace. It was delicious and it's a very healthy meat choice.

by Anonymousreply 31511/02/2014

"pumpkin isn't really popular outside of north America"

some people have no idea what they are talking about

by Anonymousreply 31611/02/2014

Have no interest in eating lamb. The bigger question is why OP is focusing on this?

by Anonymousreply 31711/02/2014

There's a South Park episode about veal that is pretty funny and actually philosophical. If you can the version with Matt and Trey's voiceover, it's worth 10 minutes of your time.

by Anonymousreply 31811/02/2014

Lamb is delicious!

Lamb Harira with fresh Coriander and Couscous, hmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 31911/03/2014

too much saturated fat

by Anonymousreply 32001/12/2015

Too fatty and unhealthy

by Anonymousreply 32101/26/2015

It's yummy and it's tasty... lamb lamb... baaahhhh baaaahhhh

by Anonymousreply 32201/26/2015

I don't eat it because I don't believe it's right to eat livestock that is under six months old. I believe it should live it's life first. The way the babies are treated on commercial farms is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 32402/23/2015

Because lamb taste like a sweater. I want to comb my tongue whenever I have it.

by Anonymousreply 32502/23/2015

[quote] R303: I don't eat lamb. I am Christian so it is a sin to eat lamb since it was a part of Jesus. And that would just be disgusting

Don't you eat lamb at Easter? Jesus is the Lamb of God. I thought it was tradition. We ate it at Easter growing up, as part of a religious observation. Not knocking you, R303, just wondering how other people do it.

by Anonymousreply 32602/23/2015

Fuck Jesus, lamb is good.

by Anonymousreply 32702/24/2015

We don't eat lamb because they are cute. We don't eat rabbits either or goats because of the cuteness factor. Just ask anyone.

by Anonymousreply 32802/24/2015

R327 , demonstrating the sensitivity, compassion, heightened awareness, empathy, and evolved thinking that Gay men are known for.

by Anonymousreply 32902/24/2015

do they fry lamb?

by Anonymousreply 33005/12/2015

Good point R330. If lamb was good fried, Americans wouldn't give a fuck how cute they are.

by Anonymousreply 33105/12/2015

It tastes "musty".

by Anonymousreply 33205/12/2015

I think lamb is much more a thing in Canada for some reason, maybe an old British holdover, but it's also cheaper in comparison to beef. I had it all the time as a kid and still love it with a little rosemary and mint,

by Anonymousreply 33305/12/2015

Why don't you eat horse meat?

by Anonymousreply 33405/12/2015

[quote] I don't eat lamb. I am Christian so it is a sin to eat lamb since it was a part of Jesus. And that would just be disgusting

"Take and eat. This is my body", said Jesus back in the day when there was no Domino's Pizza. My boyfriend is also called Jesus and I like eating him too, although that is probably not what the Nazarene had in mind.

by Anonymousreply 33505/12/2015

Most of the people 40 and up grew up with Shari and Lambchop. Nobody wants to eat a memory.

by Anonymousreply 33605/12/2015

Natalie Wood will haunt you if you eat lamb.

by Anonymousreply 33705/12/2015

Cause Mary had a little one.

by Anonymousreply 33805/12/2015

OFGS, it's no "sin" for a Christian to eat lamb!

by Anonymousreply 33905/12/2015

Fried lamb anyone?

by Anonymousreply 34006/03/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!