Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Questions for long time Dataloungers

1. At anytime were you authenticated and decided to go back to posting anonymously?

2. Have you ever taken a break from Datalounge? Where you didn't visit the site or post for a certain period of time? What was the reason?

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013

1. Yes. It's not worth the money.

2. Yes, several times. There are too many people on DL with serious mental disorders. It's good to take a break from the crazies.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

[quote]1. Yes. It's not worth the money.

? Do you have to pay to be authenticated? I understood otherwise. I pay to be able to start threads and to read during Primetime, but I thought authenticated status was a separate issue.

Anyway, 1. Yes. I am authenticated but never sign in, to avoid becoming a personality ripe for mockery.

2. Yes, but never for long. I frequently become disgusted by trolls and political fights, but I always come back.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

It's like a Mexican narco gang assault on civilians. Just when you think you can't stand another severed head hanging from the bridge and leave, you find once again drawn to the darkness lounge.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

[quote]1. At anytime were you authenticated and decided to go back to posting anonymously?

Yes.

[quote]2. Have you ever taken a break from Datalounge? Where you didn't visit the site or post for a certain period of time? What was the reason?

Yes, yes, overly saturated with pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

1. Yes

2. 'Have you ever taken a break from Datalounge? Where you didn't visit the site or post for a certain period of time? What was the reason?'

Yes...sometimes you can run into a lot of negativity. The 'elder gay' twinks annoy me. I have no interest to chatting with/listening to under 25s nor hearing them insult older, intelligent homosexuals who make this site far more interesting than all the other boring youth infested forums of the internet.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Yes. But I only sign in if the thread subject is related to my moniker, which is seldom.

I check in everyday. I guess I'm addicted.

There are worse things.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

I've never been an authenticated user, and wouldn't do now as it seems that the site's waning number of new threads and new posts brings the nutters to the fore. With less site traffic, the mentally unstable rise too obviously to the top, or they have nothing better to do than try to construct an identity out of some Miss Marple-ing by way of troll-dar. Not that I post anything revealing or controversial, but being authenticated puts a target on one's back, inviting every past post to be cross-collated by some freak.

I still like Datalounge, and spend too much time here, but also like to take a break whenever I'm away on vacation, so it's out of mind for for 10-12 weeks a year.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

Never authenticated and never paid. I never will as long as features that were once available continue to be unavailable. The only breaks for me are prime time and when the site goes down.

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

[quote] also like to take a break whenever I'm away on vacation, so it's out of mind for for 10-12 weeks a year.

**blinks incomprehendingly**

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

He must be European.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

1. I never authenticated, but I do post under my nick obviously. It didn't seem worth it, and back then I used to post a lot of bitchy stuff anonymously, and that would have got in the way. Now I just think bollocks, if you don't like my opinions or you want to jump on me (some still do) then well, that's your look out. Like I said, bollocks.

2. I think back when I was still a relative newbie/thin skinned someone was really vicious and it put me off for a couple of weeks. But then I realised it really didn't matter. The only other time I didn't read/post much was my first major boyfriend, because I was super busy doing stuff with him. When it ended badly I posted the hilariously melodramatic "How Long Does It Take For Love To Die?" thread, where people were surprisingly mostly supportive. This was in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

I used to post under a name when I posted on soap threads.

I stopped coming to datalounge after they banned soap threads for quite a while. I check in much less frequently now. I find it hard to justify supporting a site through ad revenue when they are so vigilant to shut down soap threads but let libertarian and conspiracy theory nutjobs shit all over the site.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

I never authenticated but I did post under a regular handle a few years ago.

I've taken breaks before and will again. It's just insane around here sometimes. Too many posters are just unhinged. They're nasty and bitchy without being smart or funny.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

Stopped using a name when posters who disagreed would ignore my observation and make the thread about me with personal attacks. Got stalked. Got death threats.

Never take a break. There is so much good gossip, good humor, and good advice if you sort through the chaff.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

"Twink" is not a synonym for young. You cannot just throw it around to refer to any young person pejoratively. It is a term that applies to a sexual type. It is baffling to use it to refer to an anonymous poster you have never met or have visual reference to.

When you hiss at the young, you do yourself no favors by misusing slang in such a way as to make yourself sound out of touch and thus old.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

I'm lucky in that I work in a place where I can keep DL up all day long, unlike many jobs where that would get you fired.

I posted under a handle a few year back, but with Hall Monitors and trolldar, it is no longer necessary since the control freaks and surveillance addicts can just highlight posts before gloating about their "power."

DL is my breaking news source -- the news junkies here regularly beat our local radio news with headline stories as they happen.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

One word TROLL. Regular posters often leave DL and go to other sites because of annoying ass TROLLS. I know I did.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

I miss the old days when the Webmaster would have us over for drinks on Friday afternoon. That stopped when someone took a crap in the toilet tank.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

It was so long ago I can't remember what my handle was and it won't let me come up with a new one to authenticate anew.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2013

1- no never authenticated although I used an identifier because I think it more interesting for continuity of discussion.

2- Taking hiatus from DL- yes. Just sick of the anger, name calling (very personal toward my posts), bigotry, xenophobia, and sophmoric posts. It is outweighing the fun and occasional brilliance, e.g. Pammy Shriver on the the Australian Open thread is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

I get so tired of people who insist on signing their posts, act like assholes, and then cry and moan when they get called out as assholes.

It's like people who bitch about Troll-dar. It's here for a reason, and nine times out of 10, it's to call out some asshole. Or, more and more, some racist.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

Speaking of Troll-Dar ... I'm relatively new, can someone have pity on me and explain how that works?

Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

Help explains it better than I can, r23.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

[quote]The 'elder gay' twinks annoy me. I have no interest to chatting with/listening to under 25s nor hearing them insult older, intelligent homosexuals who make this site far more interesting than all the other boring youth infested forums of the internet.

You do realize that it's not young gays throwing around the term 'eldergay', right? It's other older gay men using the term as kitsch. I think it's all in good fun.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Often it is discomforting to see a thread about someone up and coming and to have no idea who s/he is.

Better is when I discovered this "celeb" is some walk-on on a soap and of no real importance.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2013

1. Never authenticated, but I used to post under a handle. Stopped a long time ago now and only use it to say hi to people from then whose posts I recognize.

2. Yes, I've left for several months at a time, always at times when threads were more homophobic and uglier than freerepublic (and usually when I was expecting to see support for a gay topic or person). Most recently, I left for several years and only checked in when something happened that made me wonder 'what's DL saying about that?' (a coming-out, a gay rumor, or a gay-friendly policy passing). Was usually disappointed in what I read.

I wanted to believe it was because this place had gotten too straight, but that wasn't it.

Anyway, it's like they say: "You take the good, you take the bad; you take them both, and there you have..."

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

1. Yes, I authenticated and posted for a while. I had my share of fans, but also got weird and scary trolls that would follow me from thread to thread because they didn't like my opinion on racial issues. I went anonymous again because that was a strange experience.

2. Yes, there was a time where the race baiting and trolling was way too much here and it was negatively coloring my opinion of white gay men in the outside world. That was when I knew it was time to take a break for a while. I'm still wary because every once in a while here you'll see something outrageously racist in a thread that has nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

1. Never authenticated. The ones that do seem to get attacked for the most innocuous comments.

2. I haven't been able to post for over a year, must be some kind of setting on my computer but I still read regularly. Except last month I was working in a Muslim country in the Mideast and this website was b-a-n-n-e-d.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

I don't understand charlie, who doesn't "authenticate" but does unfailingly identify himself.

Same with PPSM.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

[quote]You do realize that it's not young gays throwing around the term 'eldergay', right? It's other older gay men using the term as kitsch. I think it's all in good fun.

I don't think it's fun at all. It's often very poisonous and sneering and reeks of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.