Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would you be tempted to stay in one of these pod like hotel rooms?

You can even rent them by the hour...

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

Maybe. I think the close proximity to other people would be what bothered me, not the space.

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

I stayed in one in Osaka and got a wonderful night's sleep. There was a spa area downstairs and a common area with food and television. When I was ready to crash, I just curled up in my little cocoon and went to sleep almost immediately. The proximity to others isn't a problem. Everyone's pretty much asleep or quietly watching their little hanging tv's until they drift off.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

You couldn't pay me.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

Shared bathrooms with strangers? No way. Otherwise, in a pinch, I could do it for a night.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

Surely these places are mostly used for quick sexual encounters and for that I think they could be very useful.

Are they very soundproof? They must be. Useful at airports, I should think. But for more that one night, no.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

Not with strangers, no.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

I stayed in one after a long flight, and it was very comfortable. The main problem I had was that it was disorienting. You don't know if it's night or day outside, so you wind up bouncing out of bed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 3am, and once you're up there's no going back.

I also thought it was overpriced. The one I stayed in was about 75% of what a normal hotel room would have cost.

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

Not a chance. I'm going to be spending eternity minus my lifespan in a wooden box anyway.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

I can sleep fairly comfortably and restfully on planes, but would not pay to sleep in a pod hotel. A small room is one thing, but I'd rather stay home than stay in a place that's pleasant at least.

The one place where pods make sense is at airports, where they might be a good choice for people making connections, waiting for delayed flights, even just catching a nap and a shower.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

I've done it, in a nice one, it was fine for the night.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

Claustrophobic and I would feel like I was in a coffin.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

Depends on the price. If it was as cheap as, say, camping, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

I might, sure. They are efficient and if priced low enough ...no worse than a room at a Y.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

Your future is living in one.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

Yes, but I would stay up all night cruising the common area for sex.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

I could see doing that. I've slept on a train sleeper car before and this looks bigger and more comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

r16 beat me to it. Glorified bathhouse, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

Considering how grossly overpriced hotels in big Russian cities are ($400 dollars for some shitcloset decked out like a Midwestern Holiday Inn in 1985), this seems like a great value in terms of price and fairly inoffensive aesthetically.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

"Tempted", OP?

Hardly. They're not exactly, uh, tantalizing.

Would I settle for one under certain circumstances? The article mentions commuters who've missed the last train home. Yes, in a rare situation like that I would consider it. I could also see why young people and those on a budget might choose such accommodations.

But no, I don't find the idea of sleeping in a glorified closet "tempting", not at all.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2013

Seems somewhat claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

It looks unsafe, like those places could be broken into, and people robbed, raped, murdered.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

[quote] It looks unsafe, like those places could be broken into, and people robbed, raped, murdered.

All of which could easily happen to you on any major Moscow street.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

Since hotels rooms are usually boring and overpriced, I would use one. I don't travel to ponder the glorious mediocrity of a hotel room. I'd prefer to be out and about.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

$50 a night? Wouldn't you be able to get a real hotel room for that price in Moscow?

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Pretty similar to sleeping on a train.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

I'd think they'd need to watch out for permacum.

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2013

Stayed in the Yotel in Heathrow, which was a pod concept. Loved it. We were on an overnight layover, arriving at 10:30 p.m. with a 7 a.m. flight out. The Yotel was really easy - one terminal over, fifteen second checkin. Reasonably spacious, extremely modern bathroom, high tech suite with bed that moved out of the way electronically if you wanted to sit up or move around. It was a great way to get a few hours sleep without taking some shuttle to some massive hotel out of the airport and worrying about not being able to get back for your flight out.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

There's a Yotel in NYC (off Times Square) which seems rather cool and well-priced. I'm definitely considering it for my travels later this year.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

It's nothing more than a clever repackaging of a Youth Hostel, at 3X the price.

Those photos are almost identical to a hostel I stayed at in Germany last year. Same lockers, same restrooms, same vibe, it's just that the hostel had open bunkbeds instead of walled-off beds.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

I stayed at a capsule hotel in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo. It was fine, but just like what was said, you wouldn't know if it was morning without looking at a watch. Plus, I didn't know how to turn the TV on because everything was in Japanese. It was actually surprisingly more spacious than I thought it would. But if you're quite tall, you probably won't be able to have your legs straight without them popping outside. Very quiet and comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

I would love to share podspace with drunk, obese russians!

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.