Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dataloungers can creep me out when they speak so reverentially of Queen Elizabeth II

It's as if some of you think she's Jesus or something, and as if you think she has some sort of godly ordained mission on this Earth.

She's just an old lady who inherited a weirdly archaic title.

by Anonymousreply 5001/30/2013

Shut yer cakehole, you sodding yank, or I'll slit yer face.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

OP people like you are the reason why I'm pro choice, if only your mother had made a better choice!

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

OP are you a queen jealous of another?

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

I adore her. God save the queen! The greatest monarch in England's history.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

who are you to judge how another country conducts its affairs ? the Queen is head of state; David Cameron is head of government. You people in the US combine the two, which explains the gushing over Obama. You see, in this country, the United Kingdom--the Mother of the United States--no one, no matter how partisan, would "gush" over our Prime Minister. You people treat your President like the Queen. And you have too many guns. And horrible manners. And crass television.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

We are NOT amused!

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

[quote]You see, in this country, the United Kingdom--the Mother of the United States--no one, no matter how partisan, would "gush" over our Prime Minister.

First of all: Mary!

Second of all: How quickly you've forgotten Winston Churchill.

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

[quote]And crass television.

And third: look who's talking, someone from the same nation that made a giant TV star out of Jade Goody.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

R7 I agree. This royal fascination is weird, especially in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

I couldn't agree more OP, after all its not as if she is Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

r12 was right - Diana had the distinction of having actually done something to earn her status as the People's Princess and the Queen of Hearts.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Royalty.

Fucking hilarious concept.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

While Americans only elect their leaders, Her Most Gracious Majesty rules by the will of God, having been given sovereignty to rule over her lands and subjects.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

[quote]Her Most Gracious Majesty rules by the will of God, having been given sovereignty to rule over her lands and subjects.

That's a

F A N T A S Y.

There is no God.

But you know that--you're just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

I think you might be confusing "God's will" with "God's grace" r15. Correct me if I'm wrong, but will would imply something that God wants done, sort of like Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt, or Abraham nearly sacrificing Isaac or some such thing. Grace is more like permission. Elizabeth reigns by God's "permission" but is not necessarily something that he particularly wants. Sorry to be so free with all the religious allusions, but....

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

r17, I think reference to something being by the grace of God would be synonymous with Him willing it to be so (although more flowery). Perhaps application of grace by mortals would be more permission than will.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

GOD SAVE OUR QUEEN!

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

R12 It's Diana, Princess of Wales. She was never titled Princess Diana. Only a daughter of a King or Prince can be called Princess "insert name". The same applies to Catherine, she is not Princess Catherine. I don't think people idolise the Queen, I think they revel in the pomp and ceremony of having royalty and a sense of history. The Queen has also done a splendid job of being a monarch. She obviously made mistakes raising her children and I think that was a consequence of the way things were done in those days. The Queen does not court publicity or seek out media attention, unlike politicians and celebrities. She carries on traditions that have been passed down through the centuries and people who are interested in history love to see the "show".

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2013

[quote]How quickly you've forgotten Winston Churchill.

Special, indeed unique, case. Man of destiny, 'This was their finest hour.' Gush deserved.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

[quote]We are NOT amused!

Betty R6 - you know very well that it was Queen Victoria who said that. Not you.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

I grew up in the city, where you multiply by PI

But out here no one timeses or would even care to try

This life seems to fit me, like my bosoms and my boobs

My man thinks with the way we're living, I'll give birth to rubes

Me and my coke...Isn't that a joke

Me and my coke

For what's good enough for other folk

Ain't good enough for me and my COOOOOO---oak.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

OP, Brits are the Orcs of the human race. They know no better.

There's a reason the world mocks and ridicules Great Britain and their queen worshiping is just a small part of why.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

I'm not a huge fan of the monarchy per se, OP, but I admire Queen Elizabeth for doing more in a day than most people half her age and for ruling with dignity and dedication for 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

Some Brits worship The Queen the way some Americans worship their guns. One is more harmless than the other.

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2013

R13, yes, she called herself that- no one else.

Have not noticed an over abundance of QE2 adoration on DL. Totally understand Brits and Commonwealth loving their queen. She is a symbol of continuity and long disassociated from the excesses of ruling monarchies. Not unlike a lot of the pomp people love about American Presidents- Hail to the Chief- all the Inaugural nonsense etc. Harmless ritual symbolizing stability and continuity.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

In addition to being a symbol of continuity, she's also a tourist attraction, attracting huge amounts of tourists to London on a regular basis.

Meanwhile OP, indicates the need for retroactive abortion.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

It's serf DNA, which also makes the retread Bushes and Clintons possible.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

[quote]Queen Elizabeth for doing more in a day than most people half her age

It's not exactly back-breaking to go around cutting ribbons and shaking hands. Her staff does all the work to make it happen, she just shows up when told.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

Yes, she does do the schmoozing extremely well. She should be good at it by now. In Alan Bennett's latest diary extracts in the LRB he admires the way she keeps going sparklingly at a huge arts reception while others are flagging.

As against that, she takes huge holidays. I recall a droll little picture story last year which noted The Queen's use of a non-special train to London. It marked the end of her Christmas holiday, sometime in February.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013

Why do so many DLers act like the UK is the only constitutional monarchy in the world, instead of a quite common situation in long-standing states?

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

[quote]she's also a tourist attraction, attracting huge amounts of tourists to London on a regular basis.

Is that why Paris is top European destination, above London?

The same amount of people would go to London whether she was on the throne or not.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

[quote]Why do so many DLers act like the UK is the only constitutional monarchy in the world, instead of a quite common situation in long-standing states?

While you're correct when you note that the UK is not the only constitutional monarchy in the world, you're dead wrong when you assert that constitutional monarchies are 'quite common.'

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

The UK Royals are quite visible. One rarely sees the Dutch or Scandinavian royals on the US news.

So the media is part of it.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

OP, it's because that, mostly between the hours of 8a.m. and 3p.m. U.S. East Coast time, this site in infested with shit-stirring, psychotic and generally irritating Brits.

Like the Canadians, they'll troll here pretending to me Americans (or sometimes French) and bitch and flame all things U.S..

Typically if you drop-in something about their tired queen, or Downton Abbey, they expose themselves because, like Brits, they just can't help themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

[quote]One rarely sees the Dutch or Scandinavian royals on the US news.

Who the fuck even knows who they are.

The Monaco monarchy are even more high profile than them and Monaco's about the size of Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013

What R24 said.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2013

I'm with OP. As for the Queen and the monarchy, I don't have violent opinions one way or another. It's the intense devotions of some American gays that is so bizarre, as though trivia and slavish fascination marked some sad lowercase queen as a superior sort.

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2013

[quote]It's the intense devotions of some American gays that is so bizarre,

Maybe it's America's Anglo roots.

I was surprised when visiting America to hear The Queen referred to as just 'The Queen' on the American news. As though she's America's queen.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

[quote]I think you might be confusing "God's will" with "God's grace"

Do you mean God's Will & Grace?

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

My boyfriend hates her. HAAAATES her. Calls her an old cunt every chance he gets.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2013

Enough. OP postulates a fallacious accusation and then sits on her streaks waiting for the fun.

"Respect" isn't "worship" and, more to the point, rejection of assholes calling for people to be murdered isn't the same thing as abject devotion. The complainers about the British system - with Americans being the most cluelessly, ignorantly and viciously loud - are the ones who are potty here.

And of course lower-class British are the second-worst nuts on the subject. Three generations of do-nothing whiners are hardly considered informed citizens.

Just look at R43. Hey, Ass, compare the tally across the guilty and observe how Mao, Lenin, Stalin and Hitler compare. You're just a crank pissing down one leg, shitting down the other, and blaming the world for the fact that you stink.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2013

R44 = David Furnish

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2013

Queen Elizabeth II is a useless old cunt. She's about as meaningful as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny in that she makes some people feel good...but isn't it odd to worship a woman based SOLELY on who her parents were? I'll laugh and laugh and laugh when the British monarchy is disbanded.

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2013

Well, I would venture a wild guess that QE 2 is an infinitely more interesting subject of discussion than OP. She really has been there, done that, if anyone has!

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2013

It's just another soap thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2013

What r49 said

by Anonymousreply 5001/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.