Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Otto Preminger

Just finding out about him. I had no idea he had a child with Gypsy Rose Lee. Laura was probably his best work. Not that Iv'e seen many of his movies but that one was great. I watched it last night. Anyone know/like him?

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Just saw an interview on TCM with Diahann Carroll, who discussed working with him on "Carmen Jones." She liked him and said he was actually quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

So, not having seen many of his movies, you know that Laura was probably his best work how? Because you've seen it?

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

I saw "Bunny Lake is Missing" and liked it.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

A great director who has never gotten his due. "Laura," "Anatomy of a Murder," "Bunny Lake is Missing," and "Carmen Jones" all stand the test of time--in fact, I have always been bewildered that "Bunny Lake" is ignored. A wonderful, creepy film and the last ten minutes are among the most disturbing in any film you will see.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

I only knew him as "Mr. Freeze" on Batman!

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

He directed me in my first lead role!!! Tell Me That You Love Me Junnie Moon!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

He directed a number of good films - like Where the Sidewalk Ends, Angel Face and especially Anatomy of a Murder.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

Some of his noirs besides Laura are well worthing: Where the Sidewalk Ends, which reteams Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney; Fallen Angel, with Dana Andrews and a very sexy Linda Darnell; Angel Face with Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons. Also Bonjour Tristesse with Jean Seberg (a Preminger protegee) and Anatomy of a Murder are worthwhile viewing.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

He had a well-known reputation for being verbally abusive on set to his young male stars like Keir Dullea, Tom Tryon and Sal Mineo.

Tom Tryon even said that his experiences with Preminger left him so insecure as an actor, he left the profession.

But I remember Preminger as quite funny and jolly in personal appearances on TV talk shows in the 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Exodus is an overbloated disappointing mess.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

[quote]Tom Tryon even said that his experiences with Preminger left him so insecure as an actor, he left the profession.

But he was a wooden actor - no matter what movie he appeared in.

Anyway, if what Tryon says is true, then Preminger did him a favor, given that he went on to write The Other and Harvest Home.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

Didn't Tom Tyron write The Other?

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

Had an affair with Dorothy Dandridge and forced her to have an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

Didn't he loathe Hitchcock?

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

His finest work, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

I thought he manufactured cold cuts.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

R15 It was the "Movie 43" of its day.

And the high point of my career.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

Parts of THE CARDINAL are well done, part of it is a mess. John Huston got an Oscar nomination. Burgess Meredith is also very good as parish priest in the film

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

He had a great working relationship with Dana Andrews, who gave some of his best performances under Otto's direction: Laura (1944), Fallen Angel (1945), Daisy Kenyon (1947) and Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950).

Daisy Kenyon is personal favorite of mine, and Andrews gives possibly the performance of his career as an embittered businessman, unhappily married (to Ruth Warrick, who's also astonishingly good), having an affair with Joan Crawford, who's also romancing returning GI Henry Fonda (and Crawford has a rather interesting relationship with her female roommate). It's a full-on melodrama, but subtle and affecting, and brilliantly directed, with glorious black & white photography.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

He and Rex Reed had a running feud.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

Didn't he play the Colonel Klink role in Stalag 17?

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

Jill Haworth once told me that she never had any problems with Preminger on set. However, he was dead set against her relationship with Sal Mineo and would schedule appearances for her at times she wanted to spend time with Sal. Not much contact with Preminger after her contract ended. She was very fond of Preminger's wife who she described as very kind. Preminger's wife was instrumental in persuading him to use Jill's mother Nancy for a brief scene in the film THE CARDINAL. He did try to advise Jill on her career but that pretty much stopped after her last film with him (IN HARM'S WAY) was completed. I got to briefly know Ms. Haworth a few years before she died. I had always adored her since I saw her Life Magazine cover for EXODUS. She contributed some interviews that were used in Forest Hirsch sp? bio on Preminger.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

My favourite Otto Preminger films so far are:

The Man With The Golden Arm

Bonjour Tristesse

River of No Return

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

Yes R12.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

I hear he was named after Otto Tittsling.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.