Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Clinton backers launch ‘Ready for Hillary’ super-PAC in hopes of 2016 campaign

01/28/13

A group of Hillary Clinton supporters is launching a campaign to draft her to run for president — the first major push from an outside group for her to run.

The group, “Ready for Hillary,” filed as a super-PAC with the Federal Election Commission late last week and plans to roll out a website in the coming weeks.

It has already been active online, with nearly 50,000 Twitter followers and almost 30,000 people following the group on Facebook.

The effort is being spearheaded by Allida Black and Judy Beck, two longtime Clinton supporters who were on Clinton’s Virginia Women’s Steering Committee in 2008 and helped her raise more than $100,000.

The two also were behind Women Count, a political action committee that ran ads pushing back against calls for Clinton to drop out early from the 2008 presidential race.

Black told The Hill that about a dozen veterans of the 2008 Clinton campaign were involved with the new group, though they were mostly volunteers, fundraisers and committee delegates, rather than part of Clinton’s internal circle. "This is not Hillaryland. I love Hillaryland. I was not officially part of Hillaryland; I was a volunteer. I worked with her on specific issues, which is one of the reasons why I'm so devoted to her candidacy," Black said. The group’s Facebook page, however, says a “former aide” and “former adviser” to Clinton are both involved in the efforts. “It's a draft movement. We want her to run, but we are not rookie volunteers,” Black told The Hill on Monday. “This is not our first campaign. We know how to raise money. Most of us who are involved have done fundraisers before. I certainly have had fundraisers for her at my house in Virginia. We're there to mobilize support for her in a variety of forms, both financial and grassroots. We're getting ready so that when she's ready, we've got the resources to help her do it.”

She declined to say who else, specifically, was involved in the organization.

Black said that “the fireworks will begin” with the rollout of pro-Clinton website sometime in the next week or two, after she officially finishes her duties at the State Department.

Black said she hasn’t seen Clinton in a year or so and doubted the secretary of State has yet heard about the efforts.

She said the group’s focus would not be to raise “a gazillion dollars” but rather to “to sustain a really devoted, organized following to support her run for president both on the ground and with whatever funds they can donate.”

Clinton is currently enjoying sky-high popularity ratings with both the Democratic base and the broader electorate, and has a long-established national network of volunteers and donors. Should she run, Clinton would have no trouble assembling a strong team to back her, and some Democrats believe she might be able to clear the 2016 field.

There is one other pro-Hillary super-PAC, founded by an Iowa backer. Black said she hadn’t heard from the group’s founder.

While Black described Clinton as “the leader of my lifetime” and said she badly wanted Clinton to run for president, she hoped the former first lady would take some time off to consider a bid, as she’s indicated she will do.

“This is not in any way an authorized endeavor — this is me calling my friends across the country to develop grassroots support for her,” she said. “I want her to rest. I want her to have the first real vacation she's ever had in her entire life, and come back ready, rested and emboldened to take the next step.”

Clinton officially steps down as secretary of State on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013

She'll be too old!

We need younger people in the WH--somebody with more of a stake in the future.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

I have my kneepads dusted off already for Bill! Oral Office, here i cum!

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

"She'll be too old!"

Shut up.

If Hillary wants it, it's hers. End of story. She is owed that much.

No one cares what you think anyway. Cast your vote for her and move along.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

R1 has the right to suggest other alternatives if he wants, but who does he propose for 2016?

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

She'll be too old!

LO fucking L. Are you 14 years old, r1?

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

"If Hillary wants it, it's hers."

Where have we heard that before?

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

R3. Why is Hillary "owed."

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

R6, 2016 will not be like 2008.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

How do you know R8? A lot happens in four years. My honest guess is that her health problems are more than we know right now.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

[quote]My honest guess is that her health problems are more than we know right now.

Anything is possible, but that's just supposition at this point. No other credible source in political world that knows the Clintons has reported that on any of the political shows.

And many of the political shows I watched this week from Chris Matthews to Wolf Blitzer are assuming she is running in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

If her blood cot was a one-off, then hell yes. I hope she runs. It was difficult to have two excellent and history-making candidates in 2008, and have to pick only one.

In 2016? She'd stomp her GOP opponent like a ripe grape. As strong a candidate as Hillary was in 2008 (and if Obama hadn't run, she would have defeated McCain soundly), she is now a highly regarded Secretary of State on top of that. There is no one on the other side who comes remotely close to her qualifying experience and high public approval.

Hers if she wants it. Nomination and presidency. This is stating the blindingly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

"Older" people (she'll only be 69) have more of a good effect on culture as younger people. Wisdom has always been valued, even on evolutionary terms; it's one of the reasons we're a long-lived species - the idea that we grow and learn from mistakes, and have the capacity to recall similar situations and extrapolate from them.

I'll take true wisdom over blustery bravado a-la-Romney any fucking day of the year. ANY fucking day of the year.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

p.s. when/if she runs, the Republicans are going to realize what a clusterfuck it was to develop a reputation as the party of the "war on women." Start with all of Obama's voters (none would defect to the GOP) and then add another swing 5% of white women who voted Romney over Obama, but who like/admire Hillary Clinton. Such women do exist in significant numbers. Starting with both my 70-something mother and her sister.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

Let's not forget Reagan was a few weeks shy of 70 at his first inauguration. So this crap about "she's too old" is just that: CRAP.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

True, R11. Her numbers are much higher now than they were in 2008, both with Democrats and Independents. She has more experience than she did when she was Senator. And some think Obama appearing with her on 60 Minutes was a message that he wants to give her a boost.

Chris Matthews, Howard Fineman & Joy Reid all seem to think she would be unstoppable in 2016 if she runs and that Biden would back out.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

Hillary looked and sounded just fine at the Congressional hearings last week and on '60 Minutes' last night. Of course, that's not a diagnosis, but I'll just take a guess and say that if she doesn't run, it's her lack of desire--and not her health.

And if she doesn't run, I'll always be pissed that Obama ran in 2008. He could have waited. She shoud have won in 2008 and again in 2012--and then she could have retired at a decent age to still enjoy her senior years.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

Another note: Bill Clinton is in the news for taking up a fitness regime and a dedicated meditation practice. Getting his health and heart ready for more years on the campaign trail and in the White House? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

Well anyway I love her. I hope she gets to step down as SOS. Get lots of rest and run if her heart is completely in it. I'd love to see the Clintons back in the White House. I just don't think it's going to happen. I worked for her last time I'd do it again.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that her health isn't that great. It pains me to say it but she looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

God I hope so. That's why they're going after her right now about Ben Ghazi - to try and stain her reputation for 2016. There's no other real reason.

Love her - I hope she runs. She'll have my money.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

[quote]I hope she gets to step down as SOS.

I'm pretty sure she's stepping down.

I think Friday is her last day.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

I meant step down and just disappear to six months to a year of 12 hours sleep a day, tanning by the pool, some treadmill, some yoga, some pillates. Catching up on Judge Judy..that kind of step down. Just get her bearings back from all her travel.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Washington Post article today:

[quote]A super PAC supporting Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for president in 2016, “Ready for Hillary,” was registered with the Federal Election Commission on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

Ronald Reagan was just 16 days shy of his 70th birthday when he was inaugurated in 1981 - the age Hillary will be when she is inaugurated in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

LOL, wait for it, I love Hillary but you know she's gonna come back with a facelift and be all "oh nothing... just spent some time sleeping all day, tanning by the pool, some treadmill, some yoga, some pilates. Catching up on Judge Judy!"

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

Hillary will be almost a year younger actually, R24

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

Reagan was too old, Hillary will be too old and so will Joe Biden. We should avoid voting in superannuated politicians.

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

LOL you're probably right R25. My mother was a Dr. When she finally retired she was worn and ragged like Hillary. She retired right at the start of the Summer. She lived in her bathing suit. She'd get up at 8. Work around the house a little. Sit by the pool until the Price is Right came on. Worked in her garden. Ate lunch. Took a nap. Went back to the pool. Made supper to entertain all the kids coming over after work. Took a nap. Watched TV until about ten. Went to bed.

Rinse repeat for about four months. By the fall she looked about ten years younger. Her weight problem though was losing too much weight from stress and work. Looking like wraith. She put on 20Lbs and each one was a blessing.

So good luck Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

[quote]Let's not forget Reagan was a few weeks shy of 70 at his first inauguration.

Back then people commented on how old he was. And later we learned that he had been suffering early Alzheimer's during his administration. Hillary has a lot more brains and ability than Reagan ever did; however, her age and health are valid issues to raise.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2013

Hillary will no doubt need to get a clean bill of health before she runs.

And let's also remember that Joe Biden is several years older than Hillary. He will face questions too.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

I must start saving up so I can donate to her campaign should she decide to run.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

Hillary Clinton vs.... Chris Christie

Hillary Clinton vs.... Bobby Jindal

Hillary Clinton vs.... Nikki Haley

Hillary Clinton vs.... Marco Rubio

Hillary Clinton vs.... Paul Ryan

Can you see any of these potential nominees defeating Clinton? I sure can't. And this assumes none of the losers from GOP 2012 will try again: Romney, Perry, Cain, Gingrich, Santorum, Bachmann.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013

Bump for Hillsy!

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

R32

Christie can/will beat Clinton Rubio can beat Clinton Paul Ryan Maybe

Many people DON'T LIKE Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

r34= freeptard

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

It is ridiculous! The woman would be too old by the time her term ends in January 2021, if people were foolish enought to elect someone her age in 2016. And Biden is even older. If Democrats intend to hold the White House, then they had better find another candidate in Obama's generation because the torch has already been passed to that generation. They also had better STFU about gun control, because that is a lighting rod for anti-Democrat and anti-Liberal sentiment. I know of which I speak because I am also of the baby-boomer generation like the Clintons, and I hate to see history repeat itself, like one step forward and two steps back.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

She just paid off her debt from her last run last week.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

Only dumbass freepers, dingleberry-eating tea baggers and rancid libertarians think any of those right-wing political dwarves are ever going to be ready to challenge Hillary Clinton.

She'll crush them all with a smile on her face and be on about her business. The minute this Hillary PAC takes credit cards, I'm in for a big donation and so are quite a few people I know.

Don't underestimate hissers, kids, we have money and we vote.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!