Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Postage prices rise, but USPS still teeters at the edge of ruin

“We are currently losing $25 million per day,” Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe warned earlier this month. The agency lost nearly $16 billion in its last fiscal year, and its line of credit with the U.S. Treasury is tapped out.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

Why don't the idiots try going from working 6 days a week to 5? In today's email world, 6 days isn't necessary anymore. Talk about a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

wow.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

They need to do two big things:

(1) Just raise the price of a letter to .75 already, and

(2) Sell most of the buildings they use as post offices. They need to tear a page from Canada Post and put most of their "post offices" in the back of an existing store - e.g. a grocery store or pharmacy - and therefore not have to pay the maintenance or upkeep on the buildings they own.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

Oh yeah, R1, agree with that too. Saturday home delivery isn't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

Unbelievable! No other business in the world could survive those losses.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

It's not nearly as bad a picture as they portray.

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

A far better solution, R1, would be for Congress to undo the idiocy of making the USPS fund retiree health benefits for 75 years in advance. But they won't do that because the Repukes want to kill of the USPS.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

It doesn't surprise me. Their delivery service is horrible. I live in NYC and whenever they deliver a package they just toss it in the hallways where anyone can take it.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

[quote]Unbelievable! No other business in the world could survive those losses.

$16bn a year in losses is a bargain compared to the US military, which wastes $700bn a year.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

[quote] I live in NYC and whenever they deliver a package they just toss it in the hallways where anyone can take it.

Well that's what you get for not living in a doorman building.

If it's THAT important, maybe you should get a PO box and pick up packages yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.