Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Porpoise Spit

A question only datalounge can answer. Did Muriel really improve her lot in life by moving from Porpoise Spit to Sydney at the end, or is she really she as much a dead-end prole outsider in Sydney as in Porpoise Spit.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Yes, She saved herself from becoming her mother.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

You can't stop progress!

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

Deidre Chambers!

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

Muriel. You're awfullllll!

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

No, no, no R4.

It's "You're TERRIBLE, Muriel."

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

don't come to datalounge for your homework answers OP

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

I always wondered if she was chaining herself to Rhonda forever when they went back to Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

Muriel: But I can change. Nicole: You'll still be you.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

I sucked your husband's CAWK!

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Stick your drink up your ass, Tania!

I'd rather swallow razor blades than have a drink with you.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

love that line r10! I read it with Rhonda's voice!

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

Love this movie. When Rhonda says to those bitches "I'm not alone. I'm with Muriel" it makes me choke up everytime I watch it.

And that South African swimmer was one of the hottest men I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

I was so depressed after one viewing, I never watched it again.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

I was very much a Muriel when I was young, and believe me, she needed to move away from her family and everything in Porpise Spit.

Living with people who tell you you're worthless crushes the spirit, makes you incapable of improving your life or even imagining a better one. Getting away from that awful place allowed her to start building a real life, rather than obsessing over weddings and ABBA.

Maybe she'll never have a life that would impress you bitches, but every little thing she achieves on her own is something she can be proud of, because she was told she couldn't do it. Just living away from them is healing, and every job, every raise, every date, every thing she learns to do brings a little bit of happiness and self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

She was very happy in Sydney in earlier scenes. It's a happy ending: she's left behind Porpoise Spit where she was obviously miserable, and she's dropped the chimera of searching for the perfect wedding/mate to bring her happiness.

wtf?! Unless the hero(ine) gets rich and gets hitched at the end, it can't be a happy ending?!?!?

[quote]dead-end prole outsider in Sydney

Oh, shut up, Lady Evelyn. Nobody cares about your bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

[quote]And that South African swimmer was one of the hottest men I have ever seen.

Yeah, his beauty was almost unearthly.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

[quote]Love this movie. When Rhonda says to those bitches "I'm not alone. I'm with Muriel" it makes me choke up everytime I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

[quote] Love this movie. When Rhonda says to those bitches "I'm not alone. I'm with Muriel" it makes me choke up everytime I watch it.

Me too, girl.

But then again, I *was* Muriel. Seeing that movie was the closest I've ever come to seeing my life on screen.

The awkwardness, the wanting to escape, the constructing an alternate me, of sorts....oooh, I have BEEN there.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

Damn, Muriel was alright but her siblings, holy hell they were UGLY as FUCK! The sister played the part of a hugely obese serial killer victim in the movie Feed. It was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

preach it r14!

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

Does this have anything to do with Dolphin Rape Caves?

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Was his name Chuck or Chook?

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

I've always thought living in a Porpoise Spit type environment (small tropical whitewashed cultureless city with a resort tourism based economy) would be incredibly depressing. You're trying to go about your daily life surrounded by tourists, tacky souvenir shops, malls and bad restaurants lining an overdeveloped beachfront. It sounds like a bit like Hell when you really think about it, of course Muriel would want to go back to Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

His name (or probably nickname) was Chook, which is Australian slang for chicken.

At the resort when Rhonda is about to take Tanya down she makes a joke of his name by calling him turkey.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

I remember going into the theater thinking I was about to see a lighthearted rom-com with an Abba soundtrack...

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!