Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for elder gays (50 and older).

Do you know where you were, what you were doing, and what you were wearing when Gianni Versace was shot?

On the same note, do you know where you were when JFK was shot? Hence, the reason this question is targeted to elder gays.

I can honestly say I have no idea where I was when Versace was shot, and I wasn't born when JFK was shot BUT I feel as if I knew where I was. Maybe a past life remembrance.

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2013

But I'm not a stereotypical gay, that could be the reason.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

JFK - I was in school, first grade. It was shocking, but my main concern was that there was no normal TV all weekend. (He was shot on a Friday).

Versace - don't remember, didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

JFK: I was in the sixth grade. It was first announced that he'd been shot and I still remember how the girl sitting next to me gasped. Later, one of the other teachers came around to announce that he'd died. It was horrible.

Versace: Who gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

I was three when JFK was shot. I have no memory of the event. However, we followed the Gianni Versace shooting like a soap opera at work in DC. Even the straight boys.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

JFK: too young

VERSACE: I was on a photo shoot for a department store (I'm a wardrobe stylist). People were freaking. It's funny how much slower news traveled then. Only a few of us had cell phones.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

This is like comparing apples and dust motes. Why would the killing of designer have the same impact as the killing of a president? Such a stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

I'm watching City Confidential on the Versace shooting. That's where I got the idea for this question.

This South Beach publicist said she remembers everything about the moment Versace was shot but has no idea where she was when JFK was shot. She looked as if she was in her forties, so I thought that comparison was silly.

People in South Beach were so nuts over Versace that they transferred magazine pictures of Versace to their ass! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

3rd grade for JFK.

Our principal came to our classroom and told us the President had been shot and that we were to go home a little early that day. Then she hurried out to the next classroom till till she had visited all classes.

In those days, most public school kids either walked or rode their bikes to school.

R2 is correct about TV being fucked for days. Only three networks and all were wall-to-wall assassination. B-o-r-i-n-g.

Versace -- knew his name but little about him. Didn't much care.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

Well, in South Beach, Versace was JFK, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

JFK, in school- which was promptly canceled and we were told to go home, without being told why.

Versace? Have not idea. Silly question.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

I was also in 1st grade when Pres. Kennedy was killed. After our teacher left the room, I have a memory of telling my classmates that this meant that Rockefeller would be president. And I wasn't from NY where Rockefeller was then governor.

The Versace killing and the lead-up to it by Cunanan's earlier killings and his subsequent attempt to flee were among the most fascinating news stories I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

Versace- I don't remember.

JFK- I was in second grade in Mrs. Dubrow's class at Westwood Elementary School in Los Angeles. Someone came to the door and motioned for the teacher to come outside into the hallway for a second. She came back in tears. We were sent home for the day, but for those of us who took a bus, I guess it took some time to arrange. Most of the kids had left long before our bus showed up.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

I'm the same age as R3 and had a similar experience re JFK. Don't remember anything about Versace; a better question would be about Lennon's shooting.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

I was in the fourth grade and was outside at exercise time when it it started spreading that the president had been shot We were sent home early as well. I was in the 8th grade when MLK was shot and also RFK

I remember where i was wshen the the spaceship Challenger blew up and, I remember where i was when I first heard the John lennon had been murdered.

of course most of us remember exactly where we were when the World Trade Center was attacked. Those were the events that shaped my life certainly not Versace

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

You can find on YouTube (I'm too much of an elder to know how to create a link) a 95-year old man in, I believe, 1956 whose secret on I've Got a Secret was that he was a witness - at least in the theater - when Lincoln was shot.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

I was too young to remember Versace

But I am old enough to remember JFK

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

JFK - I was in Kindergarden, the teachers came back from lunch, all were crying, then they tried to explain it to us.

RFK - I was watching the California primary results with my parents and went to bed early. When I woke up, my father was still in his clothes from the night before, and he was still watching the television, then he told us. My mother was a precinct worker for RFK - She cried for days.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

The only person who can't remember where he was when JFK was shot was George H.W. Bush. Maybe it was because he was right there, watching the whole thing going down, after ordering it, that is.

Why don't people get more upset by this? EVERYONE over 2-years old at the time, knows where they were when JFK was shot but GHW Bush doesn't remember. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

I was on the phone with my friend Freddy (RIP), and he told me I had to turn on the TV. It was on CNN, IIRC, in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

Versace - Don't remember.

JFK - Was working in the box office at an Off-Broadway theatre. Called the answering service for list of reservations made overnight. Their operator told me.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

R19 I hope you're referring to Versace, since there was no CNNin 1963.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

R19 = talking about Versace

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

I saw that, R15. I totally believe him. He didn't seem like an attention whore or anything.

The other fascinating interview is the one with Norman Dodd on tax-exempt foundations that exposed the plan for dumbing down America and the communist agenda behind government.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

Re: JFK, we were in Dealey Plaza & saw a rifleman on the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository building.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

Don't remember what I was wearing when Versace was shot. Not Versace, certainly.

When Kennedy was shot, I was wearing a pink suit and a pillbox hat.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

JFK- I was very young. My parents woke me up to see the news on TV. I was very confused that it was not I Love Lucy. I guess that was the only TV show my parents had let me watch past my bedtime.

Versace- I haven't a clue

John Lennon- I was working at a NYC disco called NY/NY. MY first thought was, "Thank god!, I'll never have to hear about another "possible" Beatles reunion again."

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

I'm reading a book by Barr McClellan in which he slowly, ploddingly builds the case that LBJ, along with two or three cohorts, is the assassin. The man is a seriously bad writer.

I metaphorically threw a book across the room (it's on my Kindle) that put forth the proposition that it was the Mafia, because JFK and RFK were planning a coup with one of Castro's top generales to kill Castro early in December, 1963.

And of course, there's the GHWB possibility.

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

Was in college and heading to class when someone said that Kennedy had been shot. I didn't believe him and thought it was just a goof. Got to class and most everyone thought the same, that it was not true. A few minutes later we heard the announcement that the president was killed and college was closed for the day.

Didn't know too much about Versace until I read the book about his murder. Can't remember the title but found the story fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

I was in 2nd grade at a Catholic school when JFK was shot. We were all hustled into the church to pray before word came through that he had died.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2013

I was in kindergarten for JFK. No idea about Versace; I do not consider that a culture-affecting incident along the likes of JFK, Sept 11, the Challenger space shuttle, Reagan getting shot.

by Anonymousreply 3001/28/2013

JFK- I was two so no real memory.

Versace- no idea. It was sad but it didn't really affect me.

RFK- I was maybe seven and my mother came into my room and asked that I say a prayer for him.

Princess Diana- playing Foot and Hand canasta with family and friends in Fresno, CA. My brother-in-law came out to tell us and we were glued to the TV for the next couple of hours.

Those are the ones I recall...

by Anonymousreply 3101/28/2013

I know where I was when J.R. Ewing was shot.

by Anonymousreply 3201/28/2013

I was in the 6th grade as well. We were sent home about 1:00PM that day.

My older sister was supposed to have a party at my parents house that night. Of course, it was canceled (as was everything else for the next 3 days) and I spent the night listening to 45's my sister's friends had dropped off for the party since there was nothing but assasination coverage on the 3 TV stations.

I believe Kennedy's body was placed in the Capitol rotunda for viewing on Saturday and Sunday. Thousands upon thousands walked by the casket.

On Sunday, Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald live on television.

Monday was the burial at Arlington Cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 3301/28/2013

If you lived in South Florida, you'd definitely remember when Versace was killed because all the news channels were bleating, "There's a serial killer who is a "master of disguise" on the loose!" Recall that Cunanan had sometimes dressed as a woman to evade the police.

by Anonymousreply 3401/28/2013

I was in the Peace Corps (Ghana), and a local came in to tell us. who is Versace?

by Anonymousreply 3501/28/2013

The answer is yes, we have all the money.

Yes, we're the ones with the power.

And

No, I won't be your benefactor.

Eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 3601/28/2013

JFK: Sixth grade, on the playground at recess. Somebody had a transistor radio (go look that up, youngsters) and that's how I found out. After recess our teacher talked to us for a long time, reassured us that nothing bad was going to happen, we had a subdued rest of the school day and went home at the usual time.

My partner (who went to Catholic school) said that it was announced over the classroom loudspeakers and then everyone spent the rest of the school day praying in church.

Versace: I remember all the media coverage but can't remember for the life of me where I was or what I was doing.

by Anonymousreply 3701/28/2013

I was at a Beatles concert when JFK was killed, we did not hear about his death until the concert ended. I have always thought of that night as the convergence of two pivotal forces for baby boomers.

by Anonymousreply 3901/28/2013

Yes, like R37's partner, I went to Catholic school in NYC (I was in the 5th grade) and the announcement came over the loudspeaker. My recollection is that it was almost time to go home, anyway, so they let us out from school. That weekend nothing moved. Nothing. The stores were closed, there were almost no cars on the street, at least in my neighborhood. We were all inside watching TV.

I always think that Nov. 22, 1963 was when the Sixties really began.

by Anonymousreply 4001/28/2013

Wow. Some one should take this thread and write a play about it! "Kennedy and Versace's Children". It will be a big hit, and provide grad school audition monologues for years to come!

by Anonymousreply 4101/28/2013

I'll add Robert Kennedy.

I heard he'd been shot the morning after, it was the next day we found out he had died. I was 12 and really liked him. Though I hate that they re-named the Triborough Bridge after him!

by Anonymousreply 4201/28/2013

My housemates and I were in the Pines on Fire Island and the fear was that psycho Andrew Cunanan was hiding somewhere on the island and targeting gays. None of us dared to go to the meatrack because we might be shot by a serial killer in the woods. Only after confirmation came through that he was indeed Versace's killer in South Beach did any of us dare to take our ecstacy and head to the Pavilion to dance away our sorrows for the clothing designer. I met a muscular, hot black man that night if anyone cares.

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2013

Wow -- must be a lot of us who are the same age-- all of those who said they were in sixth grade.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2013

Can't share because I'm only in my twenties, but I just wanted to say what a great thread this is. Good read.

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2013

To compare the two makes you a retard OP!

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2013

I was in 6th when Versace was shot--I was the poster living in South Florida.

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2013

I am 52, and want to know why this situation is being equated with say ... JFK's assassination? The idea that I'd recall anything about the actual day is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2013

My parents' generation remembers Pearl Harbor (and maybe V/E and V/J Days.)

My generation: JFK

The next generation: 9/11

I think those are the three events that had the most impact on Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013

JFK- day after my birthday. Dismissed from school. Rained all day. I was in the fifth grade.

Versaci-- don't remember but I started following the Cunanan case and did see the breaking news when they found him on the houseboat and he had killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2013

JFK, absolutely (7th grade, recess after lunch, CST).

Versace, no idea, though I do remember having the hots for Cunnanen (sp?) and finally finding a picture of his dick on line....

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2013

JFK -- no memory of the actual event but recall the first anniversary coverage.

Versace -- came home from work and turned on the news. There was Internet back then, but not at my job. We still read the AM paper and got our news when we came home.

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2013

I was five. We were moving, so I was not in Kindergarten. My father was home, playing with my brother and I. My mother was watching "As the World Turns", when they broke in with the news JFK had been shot. My mother screamed out. We ran in to see what was wrong. I watched when Walter Cronkite made his call that Kennedy was dead. I will never forget it. It was like the world stopped. My parents just hugged and cried.

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.