Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you think the romance in Titanic was realistic?

Does anyone else get the feeling that sexual feelings would not come out when you are about to die. I laugh at people having sexual intercourse minutes before they die. It wouldn't be possible for me.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2013

Who in that film was having sex when they were about to die? By the time the ship hit the iceberg, EVERYONE, including Rose and Jack were running around looking for exits, boats and the family jewelry. Some were being "noble" and making decisions to stay on board. But NO ONE WAS FUCKING. What are you talking about, OP?

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

"They had sex before they hit the iceberg, you freaking dumbass."

True. But, that said, there were many things in the movie that weren't in the same universe as "realistic," such as Billy Zane's character chasing after Kate and Leo with a gun in his hand WHILE THE BOAT WAS SINKING.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

...and they did not KNOW they were going to hit an iceberg or die (which she did not)

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

Rose had sex with Jack to get out of being pushed into a marriage with a creep. That was believable.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

[quote]there were many things in the movie that weren't in the same universe as "realistic,"

And that's exactly why the "Titanic" screenplay is really just a rotten piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

Kate was too fat and Leo too gay and Billy Zane enunciated too much

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

"I laugh at people having intercourse minutes before they die."

When and where have you encountered this?

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Any high school English teacher could have come up with a better script for that movie.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

"Jack I'm flying"...

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

Kate was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

"True. But, that said, there were many things in the movie that weren't in the same universe as "realistic," such as Billy Zane's character chasing after Kate and Leo with a gun in his hand WHILE THE BOAT WAS SINKING."

The water was FREEZING. And Rose and Jack are running around in it as the boat fills with water; they're up to their waists in it, are sometimes submerged in it. And they're totally unaffected by it. Well, Rose does shiver when she feels the water for the first time (I guess she did feel a teensy bit cold; she was wearing what looked like a filmy nightgown), but that's it. In reality, they would have been incapacitated very quickly.

Same goes for the stupid "don't ever let go" goodbye speech Jack gives Rose while he's up to his neck in freezing water. In real life, he wouldn't have been able to talk, much less make an impassioned goodbye speech. He would have been too busy freezing to death in frigid water.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2013

Movie romances are seldom "realistic."

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2013

What would Rose's life really have been like coming into NY in 1912 as a woman with no money, no family, and a false name?

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2013

This movie came out when I was in high school and to this day I have never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2013

The romance between Jack and Rose was pretty believable. A girl who feels trapped by circumstances throws away everything she has, for a shipboard romance with a guy who makes her feel free. And from his side, he's a boy attracted to a pretty girl who's out of his league.

What's not believable is that Jack and Rose ever had a shot at a long-term relationship. Once he realized he was expected to support a girl with expensive tastes and (very likely) children, he'd have been out of there. The other unbelievable thing is her going from nothing but the clothes on her back, to a totally fabulous life.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2013

I've never seen this movie and never will.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2013

I don't share OP's objection to Titanic.

Which doesn't change the fact that it's a bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2013

According to legend there were myriads of "couplings" taking place on deck as Titanic was sinking.

And it would have been a strumpet's life for Rose upon arrival in NYC with no man, no money, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2013

She was in first class, he was in steerage. They never would have even spoken to each other, let alone have a "romance."

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2013

"What would Rose's life really have been like coming into NY in 1912 as a woman with no money, no family, and a false name?"

The only thing I can think of that she could have done was become a prostitute.

Later in the movie it's said she'd been "an actress." How the fuck did she become an actress? What a stupid movie!

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

[quote]How the fuck did she become an actress?

With lots of hard work and determination, of course!

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

"Actress" is a euphemism for "prostitute".

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

R25, you mean WAS.

"Actress" WAS a euphemism for "prostitute".

Was, not anymore

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

Kate was lovely but she looked like Leo's mother.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

Please, r26.

Look at any number of young "actresses" today. Think they have any skill other than the casting couch?

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2013

I doubt that Rose became a common streetwalker, with her upper-class background and great big diamond, she'd be courtesan material.

And maybe she became an actress after all. Actors paid for their own costumes in those days (if not the theater), and it was common for actresses to have wealthy benefactors to pay for that, and it was not unknown for women with wealthy benefactors to seek a bit of independence on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

Rose sold that diamond. The one she dropped into the ocean was plastic. She had no education or talent, all she had was that fucking huge diamond and expensive taste. I wonder what happened to her hag of a mother? Did she have to go make clothes in a sweat-shop? Or did she just off herself? We need a new movie Titanic: The Years Between to explain what happened. I bet Rose hooked up with tons of poor immigrant men who fucked her brains out with their thick veiny foreign uncut dicks. I bet she was a real jizzwhore, that's why she lasted so long.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!