Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Samsung Chromebooks

Anyone have one or used one? If so, could you give a brief review? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

I would like to buy one too and would appreciate any reviews. The screen seems a tad small.

Virus attacks would be nonexistent. That's a plus right there.

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

I need to get another one … so I can finish shimming up my dining room table.

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

Hmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

"Virus attacks would be nonexistent"

Why?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

It's an awful lot to pay for just a browser.

Seriously, who is stupid enough to buy one of these things?

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

The review states all the things it can't do.

It's basically just a portal to Google products, forcing you to buy their apps or fuck off.

You can't import other apps, you can't edit images or words. You can't choose NOT to have your every click get tracked by Google.

Summarized quite well in the review: "It's good for a child."

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

Have one for about a week now. It's great. The boot up time is as advertized-7seconds. The screen is on the smallish side and a matte screen but I like the matte screen. Now...you do need to know your own particular computer needs. I still have an older laptop if I need a particular program. But when I really thought about my computer use at home, I was really only in my browser be it Chrome or Firefox-to do the normal usual stuff(email,internet surf etc.) I'm not a gamer nor do I really watch movies on a computer. Honestly, I stare at a computer screen enough during the day that it's one of the last things I want to do when I return home. But sometimes you do need to get some work done/look up something and the ChromeBook fits my needs.

It helps if you're in the Google ecosystem as they say. You sign into your gmail account and your set. The ChromeBook is all about cloud storage and nearly everything you'll do will be online. The apps, such as they are, just really are bookmarks that take you to particular websites.

Now..the ChromeBook is internet-dependent as you would assume. I'm never without wifi so that's not a problem. If I truly need to use it when I'm out and about, I can tether it to my phone and use the wifi but I rarely do that.

Printing maybe a problem for some if you don't have a newer printer that can cloud print. I don't have a printer that can do that but I rarely print at home and would wait till I when to work to print.

I'm satisfied with the ChromeBook. I like that it has a blindingly fast boot up and isn't weighed down with programs I never or rarely use on a Windows PC. But, if you game or need a particular program like Adobe or MS Word than this isn't for you as you can't put traditional programs on this computer. They do have a lot alternatives in the Chrome Store but you'll need to make those decisions for yourself. For $249.00, I like it.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.