Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands to Announce her Abdication

Queen Beatrix of Netherlands to announce her abdication 1800 GMT Monday, reports Dutch news agency ANP.

She turns 75 on Thursday, January 31st.

by Anonymousreply 6401/29/2013

Is Holland abolishing the monarchy?

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

No. Dutch monarchs have a tradition of abdicating in favor of their heirs. Beatrix's mother did it, and her mother before her.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

If only Elizabeth II would do the same.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

Way to hang in there ya fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

Ewww... Crown Prince Willem-Alexander looks like a dead ringer for Donald Trump, but with better hair and a lesser sense of grandiosity.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

Oh good, then we can have Queen Golddig...I mean Queen Maxima.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

The country is agog and a-twitter.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

Queen Elizabeth has been great for the UK. She gives them continuity and a sense of perspective. And the Royal Family earns them a TON of money in tourism every year. A great bargain for the UK.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

[quote]Queens are actually resigning because they realize what an absurdity "royalty" is...

Your village called.

They need you back.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

Separated at birth:

Eppie "Ann Landers" Lederer,

Pauline "Dear Abby" Phillips, and

Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard,prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Lippe-Biesterfeld?

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

I can't wait till my PLATINUM Jubilee!!

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

OMG, Queen Maxima!! Prepare for fabulousness.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

I'm somewhat out of the loop when it comes to European royalty gossip and tabloid stories? Can someone bring me up to date on Maxima and her gold digging ways?

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

What will we do without the Queen Bea?

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

Elizabeth won't abdicate because her Uncle Edward the Vlll scared her.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

[quote] If only Elizabeth II would do the same.

It's not the custom in Britain.

I always wonder why people called for Betsy to abdicate in favor of Charles. Nobody ever asked a king to step aside so his younger son or daughter could take his place. Why should she?

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

"She is one of the few royals in the world to be an open supporter of gay rights, and was the first royal to attend an LGBT rights conference on 5 March 2008. ... The Princess signed an accord at the end of the conference calling for the full acceptance of gays in the Netherlands."

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

Sad to see her abdicate. The gal has a sense of humor that is so infectious. Met her in Copenhagen back in 92 for the 20 anniversary of the Danish queen Margrethe II. Beatrix makes a party fun.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

Her late husband, Claus, was very bi-curious, to say the least. And then there's her middle son.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

[R:6] I won't reciprocate your xenophobia by assuming you're inland-American on account of your arrogance and ignorance of all matters beyond the Kardashians... Actually most British people are neutral / ambivalent to / against the monarchy. However, the US has provided an excellent example of why we're mistrustful of replacing our current system with a presidency... Or indeed, a Kardashian...

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

[quote]And then there's her middle son.

Isn't he still in the post-avalanche coma?

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Well, I hope Beatrix is still on the A-list for future European royals weddings. The ol' broad classes up the joint.

Just my opinion, but 75 years old is too young to abdicate. What is going to do? She's in great health.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

Max's father was an Argentinian cabinet member when the government was killing off thousands of its citizens. He wasn't allowed to attend her wedding.

Wonder if he will get to attend her coronation?

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

[quote]If only Elizabeth II would do the same.

Don't worry, my dear, we abdicated our Netherlands long ago.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

So will she be demoted to a duchess or revert back to a princess when she abdicates?

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

[quote]So will she be demoted to a duchess or revert back to a princess when she abdicates?

Her mother reverted to HRH Princess Juliana when she abdicated, so I expect the same will be true for Beatrix.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2013

The British Parliament should legislate an age limit for the monarch, as they do for judges. It's sort of cruel to make someone keep working full time when they're pushing 90 and won't let go of the reigns because of 'tradition'.

by Anonymousreply 3001/28/2013

R27, British kings don't abdicate in favor of their children. If its good enough for kings to reign into old age, why shouldn't queens do the same?

Nobody demands that kings should resign when they get old.

by Anonymousreply 3101/28/2013

R28. Perhaps Beatrix will be known as Queen Beatrix, the Queen Mother, as is the case in the UK and the title given to the mother of soveriegn.

On 28 January 2013, it was confirmed that when Queen Beatrix abdicates, His Royal Highness the Prince of Orange will become King Willem-Alexander, and Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands will become Queen Máxima. They will both be addressed as 'Your Majesty'.

by Anonymousreply 3201/28/2013

Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

by Anonymousreply 3301/28/2013

Anyway, her father was quite the lout and criminal who almost caused the end of the royal family.

by Anonymousreply 3401/28/2013

[quote]And then there's her middle son.

not really, he's been in a coma for the pst year

by Anonymousreply 3501/28/2013

After the abdication, I wonder why Queen Beatrix wouldn't just be titled as Queen Beatrix, the Queen Mother, as they do in the UK when you're the mother of the soveriegn?

Why is she reverting to HRH Princess Beatrix?

by Anonymousreply 3601/28/2013

She's a good old girl and has always been a wonderful friend to the gays. When half (or more) of the usa was rallying behind anita bryant, she was speaking up for us. But the HATS. Omg the hats

by Anonymousreply 3701/28/2013

Good for her. She's put in her time and wants to relax and enjoy the rest of her life. The fact that her son is still basically a vegetable and his young family suffering probably helped this decision along. I'm sure she wants to spend time with her young grandchildren.

Willem and Maxima are well-prepared for this, it's tradition. I thought it might not happen for a few more years given how young Willem's daughters still are, but they all must have felt it was time. She wouldn't have made the decision without Willem & Maxima's consent.

by Anonymousreply 3801/28/2013

I wish we had a king. There's vast amounts of bullshit the President has to do as head of state that could be delegated.

by Anonymousreply 3901/28/2013

R37. Queen Beatrix has fabulous hats!

by Anonymousreply 4001/28/2013

[quote]Upon her abdication on 30 April 2013, Beatrix will resume the title and style Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, etc

by Anonymousreply 4101/28/2013

is she the one with the bicycle?

by Anonymousreply 4201/28/2013

Hopefully Elizabeth will outlive Charles, he doesn't deserve to ever be King!

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2013

"If only Elizabeth II would do the same."

Not if she can help it, because IMHO the British monarchy will face a crisis when her reign ends. Lots of people dislike the monarchy, but Elizabeth herself is such an institution that the direct attacks on her are minimal. She's been royalling away since the Germans bombed London, and is like an elderly relative to the nation.

Charles is more like the self-important cousin that nobody likes. The knives will be out for him, and all the monarchists can do is hope for the days of King William.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2013

R41. After abdicating, why wouldn't Queen Beatrix be styled, "Queen Beatrix, the Queen Mother" since she would have reigned as queen and now she's the mother of the sovereign?

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2013

Because she's dutch and they are infinately more intelligent and pragmatic than the brits........not to mention better looking and better endowed. And have better teeth

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2013

And you dont need an apple or a carrot in your hand to approach them

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2013

R46. Well, you have a point there. In general, the Dutch are well-endowed. And perfectly intact too.

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2013

My motto's always been, it's aint much if it aint dutch

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013

[quote]She's a good old girl and has always been a wonderful friend to the gays.

sorry, charlie, she was NEVER pro-gay. she threatened to abdicate many years ago over gay adoptions and gay marriage. she was and always had been properly conservative on social issues.

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2013

[quote]And have better teeth

no, they don't. they have some of Europe's worst dentistry

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2013

I know R50. Gays have been such a persecuted class in holland for all these decades while they have done so well with the US congress in respect to their rights

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2013

I never stated that, ever. But where parliament was ready to sign gay marriage into law, she held it back, that is significant.

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2013

Wouldn't she be called the Dowager, as mother of the current monarch?

by Anonymousreply 5401/28/2013

From Wiki:

Personal wealth

In 2009, Forbes estimated her wealth at US$300 million.[18]

Shit, she ain't even half as rich as Madonna!

by Anonymousreply 5501/28/2013

In Britain, the queen (or king) is annointed by God and as such has a devine mandate to reign until death. That's why Edward VIII's abdication caused so much uproar. In bicycle monarchies, no such responsibility is attached to their role as head of state.

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2013

Maybe she'll just be Aunt Bea, settle in Mayberryluggen, and take care of the family paint factory.

by Anonymousreply 5701/29/2013

[quote]IMHO the British monarchy will face a crisis when her reign ends.

I'm concerned too!!!

by Anonymousreply 5801/29/2013

300 million my ass. Maybe in her checking account. Closer to 100x that i'd bet

by Anonymousreply 5901/29/2013

As ERII shows little signs of slowing down (Hell, even Philip is still pretty spry for his age...), when Charles inherits, his reign will probably be short. Depending upon the popularity of William and heir, the Monarchy may see many more sunrises before the sun finally sets. But slowly, the Commonwealth countries are dropping HM the Q as head of state.

by Anonymousreply 6001/29/2013

Didn't Juliana retain the style of Queen after she passed the crown to her daughter. Are you sure Beatrix will just be HRH? I think she'll be seen as dowager queen. Maxima will make a fine queen.

by Anonymousreply 6101/29/2013

[quote]Didn't Juliana retain the style of Queen after she passed the crown to her daughter.

No.

[quote]Are you sure Beatrix will just be HRH?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 6201/29/2013

I love Elizabeth the 2nd. A great woman and someone who is rare in her beauty and dedication. She makes me feel proud to belong to the human race!

God Save the Queen!

by Anonymousreply 6301/29/2013

The Dutch, like the Chinese, are inscrutable.

by Anonymousreply 6401/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.