Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whatever happened to Geraldo Rivera's career?

In his youth he won a Peabody. Was ALL OVER television news and his own hour long show in the 80s, hot, hot, hot back then.

Worked for CNN and got good air time there, then jumped ship for Fox News, got kicked out of Iraq by the military for stupidly exposing Allied positions in a diagram in the sand for his Fox news (this was just after he made a fool of himself running around in Iraq with a feathered Jonny Quest cap and $900 leather jacket.)

He's still on Fox, but only has a half-hour show that only shows up on weekends there withthe other weekend lightweights like that slackjawed dimwit Mike Huckabee. Is Fox trying to squeeze him out? Is his career over?

by Used to be cutereply 8107/21/2013

his nude ass shot in his book was wonderful.... link anyone?

by Used to be cutereply 101/28/2013

You forgot his live special opening up Al Capone's vault. Hype, Hype, Hype.....nothing.

by Used to be cutereply 201/28/2013

He was the first fluff journalist who depended on maudlin stories to make his mark. There are millions who emulated him, and all do a better job at being Geraldos than Geraldo ever did.

by Used to be cutereply 301/28/2013

I believe he has a nationally syndicated radio show, broadcast out of New York City which runs several hours daily . . .

by Used to be cutereply 401/28/2013

Never heard of him.

by Used to be cutereply 501/28/2013

I want to see is naked ass.

by Used to be cutereply 601/28/2013

[quote]Used to be cute

Never cute. Always smarmy.

Great TV when he got hit with a chair by some Nazi scum.

by Used to be cutereply 701/28/2013

I want to see his pinga.

by Used to be cutereply 801/28/2013

The most vile, hateful man I ever met. He ended up with the "career" and "respect" he deserves.....NONE!

by Used to be cutereply 901/28/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Used to be cutereply 1001/28/2013

When he had a talk show years ago - he had a panel of parents of crime victims. One poor mother was telling the most horrible tale of how her daughter was murdered. Gerald just dismissed her and moved onto the next person. It was truly horrifying.

I hated him ever since.

by Used to be cutereply 1101/28/2013

He now has some cheesy 'talk radio' show here in New York, listened to only by regional people in the fifties and older. I've tuned-in a couple of times and it's awful. He really sees himself as some iconic 'tell-it-like-it-is' "journalist". Instead, he's just sad and pathetic and it's obvious he's doing anything he can to pay the bills.

by Used to be cutereply 1201/28/2013

I'll never, EVER forget, when I was but a little gayling, Geraldo Rivera appearing on The Tonight Show when Joan Rivers was hosting.

She asked him about his racial background and he explained that he had a Puerto Rican father and a Jewish mother, so he's Puerto Rican-Jew.

Rivers quipped "What's that mean, spray paint half off?" It was pretty hysterical at the time and likely the last time I ever found Joan Rivers entertaining.

by Used to be cutereply 1301/28/2013

He was the original Jerry Springer. He went over and worked for Fox Noise. He's a Republican. He's an idiot. That's what happened to his career.

He will never live down drawing military base locations in the sand on television.

by Used to be cutereply 1401/28/2013

He's turning 70 in July. Well past his prime since back in the 90's.

by Used to be cutereply 1501/28/2013

Osama Bin Laden's favorite embedded "journalist".

by Used to be cutereply 1601/28/2013

His tv show was a hoot; pure sleaze! Remember the show where he had some neo-Nazis on with some black guy (I can't remember who it was) and the black guy got really mad and attacked one of the neo-Nazis and it turned into a free-for-all? A chair was thrown and hit Geraldo in the face, breaking his nose! It was wonderful to watch. Usually fights on trashy talk shows are fake and staged, but this one wasn't. A picture of him with his bloodied nose was on the cover or Time (or Newsweek); inside was an article about the popularity of trash tv.

Anyway, Geraldo Rivera may have had some promise early in his career (he did a great expose of the horrific mental institution Willowbrook) but he soon became a joke. He's been over for a long time now.

by Used to be cutereply 1701/28/2013

He talkes exactly like Michael Bloomberg when you hear him on the radio. I'm not sure if it's the Jewish thing or not but it's that whiney, nasally accent and it would drive me fucking nuts to have to listen to him all day.

by Used to be cutereply 1801/28/2013

He added the O to Gerald to sound more ethnic. He's Gerry Rivera from West Babylon, Long Island.

by Used to be cutereply 1901/28/2013

He was an investigative reporter on 20/20 in its early days, late-70s until fired in 1985. He was pretty sensational, willing to kick in doors and such.

by Used to be cutereply 2001/28/2013

I kind of like him. I also like the "Jerry Rivers" rumor and that his brother Craig sounds EXACTLY like him.

by Used to be cutereply 2101/28/2013

[quote]until fired in 1985

What happened? Did he go too far? Or become too expensive?

by Used to be cutereply 2201/28/2013

Roone Arledge refused to let a story air that Sylvia Chase did about the relationship between Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys. Geraldo criticized Arledge for being too cozy with the Kennedy entourage (such as Pierre Salinger, who also worked for ABC at the time), so Arledge fired him. Just like that. It wasn't for anything Geraldo actually did, amazingly.

by Used to be cutereply 2301/28/2013

R19 Close, his real name is Gerald Rivera.He mentions West Babylon every time he can. Especially after Sandy, West Babylon was hard hit bu Sandy. His niece lives in the town next door,Lindenhurst and like many there had to evacuate her house.

R12 Wrong, his show is national.

R18 Bloomberg is from Boston and sounds slike a Red Sox fan.He's been here in the NYC for how many years and still sounds like he's from Harvahd Yahd! Geraldo sounds like a Long Guydlander that took elocution lessons. West Babylon is very Irish,Italian and German not Puerto Rican and Jewish at all.

Geraldo's Fox show is on Saturdays and it's an hour long. He went from CNBC to Fox because he wanted to cover the Gulf War and NBC wouldn't let him. He's such a macho man isn't he?

Well he ended up on the lowest totem pole for news..... namely radio. It is to news and talk shows what soaps are to acting.He's the PT Barnum of our time, a hype master if there ever was one.He's not all bad, he voted for Obama.....

by Used to be cutereply 2401/28/2013

Yeah, what did happen to him?

by Used to be cutereply 2501/28/2013

[quote] Rolanda Watts

Damn, I haven't heard THAT name in forever. Whatever happened to that ho?

by Used to be cutereply 2601/28/2013

R26 She ended up on Days of Our Lives at some point. She was on Channel 7 ABC here in the NYC area before she did that show.

by Used to be cutereply 2701/28/2013

R24 - I don't know if his radio show is national or not. I DO know that it has a strong New York focus and that 100% of the callers I've ever heard call him are from the New York City metropolitan area.

by Used to be cutereply 2801/28/2013

R24, his show is NOT national, unless you're stretching and considering his podcasts nationally broadcast.

He's strictly on WABC radio in New York.

Sorry, fangurl.

by Used to be cutereply 2901/28/2013

Remember Bill Boggs? Now HE was hot!

by Used to be cutereply 3001/28/2013

GR was hot and was great years ago. Now almost 70šŸ˜±

by Used to be cutereply 3101/28/2013

His finest hour was covering the OJ criminal trial on what was then the E! network. All downhill after that.

by Used to be cutereply 3201/28/2013

His finest hour was the first part of his career. He did a lot of great work for 20/20 and before.

He was also one of the first and only journalists to stand his ground (along with Maury Terry) about Satanic cults being real and dangerous. (He had NYPD sources who dealt with it on a daily basis.)

He has been quietly vindicated on that over the years.

by Used to be cutereply 3301/28/2013

Remember he always used to have LaToya Jackson on?

by Used to be cutereply 3401/28/2013

[quote]Close, his real name is Gerald Rivera. He mentions West Babylon every time he can. Especially after Sandy, West Babylon was hard hit bu Sandy. His niece lives in the town next door, Lindenhurst and like many there had to evacuate her house

What's close? I'm right, I said...

[quote]he added the O to Gerald to sound more ethnic. He's Gerry Rivera from West Babylon, Long Island.

Gerry is a nickname his friends and family called him on LI.

by Used to be cutereply 3501/28/2013

[quote]He was also one of the first and only journalists to stand his ground (along with Maury Terry) about Satanic cults being real and dangerous. (He had NYPD sources who dealt with it on a daily basis.)

[quote]He has been quietly vindicated on that over the years.

I call BS. Point me to where there's ever been any evidence of Satanic cults committing secret ritual murders.

by Used to be cutereply 3601/28/2013

r22, I think his subsequent decline is due to his substance abuse issues.

I also think that if you're in certain positions in America, you get to the point where you have to decide whether or not to fight TPTB.

Government and corporate corruption are so pervasive that anyone who really threatens either is co-opted or destroyed.

Rivera probably said fuck it at some point and decided to go for the money and notoriety over tilting at windmills.

by Used to be cutereply 3701/28/2013

WEHT Richard Bey?

by Used to be cutereply 3801/28/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Used to be cutereply 3901/28/2013

WEHT Tempestt Bledsoe?

by Used to be cutereply 4001/28/2013

R28 I do now that it's a national show. WABC(the station he's on) in NYC has one hour of local programming from 5AM to 6 AM that's it. He had an LA show on for two hrs after the NY one.You do hear callers from other parts of the country as well as the NYC area. BTW he has guests on like KT McFarland and guests with a national focus.

R39 Mick Jagger wanted him in a boy toy sandwich according to that book. Mick goaded him with this:"you're the virgin,you're the virgin."

R38 He was on WABC radio a few years back and one of the really local radio stations as a host. He's living off his meager savings.

R40 She's bearding for the gay Raven Simone who is dating a hideous butch.

R20 Thumbs up!Not close BUT on the mark exactly. Good show.

by Used to be cutereply 4101/28/2013

His 80s tabloid show was a few notches above Springer, more comparable to Sally Jesse. Geraldo, Sally and Oprah were the holy trinity of tabloid-talk, and the shows were good, they were entertaining, there was nothing really wrong with them. Springer didn't come along until quite a bit later, and he dragged the tabloid genre way down, now it's too stupid and fake to be fun anymore.

by Used to be cutereply 4201/28/2013

Wasn't the time he opened up someone's vault (can't remember whose) considered the moment his career jumped the shark?

by Used to be cutereply 4301/28/2013

R40 Tempestt is starring on "Guys With Kids" as Anthony Anderson's wife (NBC.)

R25 R26 Maybe you haven't heard anything about her because you don't know how to spell her name. It's ROLONDA.

by Used to be cutereply 4401/28/2013

He's always been a hack and a joke, OP. His "career" has continued far past the point that it should have.

by Used to be cutereply 4501/28/2013

The "opening of Capone's secret vault" made news here in the UK too...

by Used to be cutereply 4601/29/2013

What career? He was a hack and was never respectable among his fellow journalists.

by Used to be cutereply 4701/29/2013

His career ended when Bette Midler outed him as a sex fiend. You don't touch Bette's boobies and get away with it.

by Used to be cutereply 4801/29/2013

In his later years he became a right wing yahoo spouting bigoted BS.

by Used to be cutereply 4901/29/2013

[quote]When he had a talk show years ago - he had a panel of parents of crime victims. One poor mother was telling the most horrible tale of how her daughter was murdered. Gerald just dismissed her and moved onto the next person. It was truly horrifying.

You think that's bad? In 1990, Sally Jesse Raphael was trying to boost ratings for her show. So she wore a new pair of glasses every day of the week and would have viewers vote on which one looked the best on her.

One day she had on this woman who was telling this heartbreaking ordeal which she had gone through. When the woman finished the story, without skipping a beat, Sally looked into the camera and said "These are today's glasses designed by Halston (or whoever it was)." No transition, no pause. It's one of the most uncomfortable moments I've ever seen on tv.

by Used to be cutereply 5001/29/2013

He came to my cabaret show at Inner Circle in the Village on the West Side Highway (he thought Ronee Blakely was playing!) and when I did Cliff Richard's "We Don't Talk Anymore" he thought I had recorded the hit song! His 90s show had Janet Charlton on Gossip Fridays - one time had Joey Heatherton on and he asked her: "Joey, your life has been an up & down rollercoaster, why haven't you written a book about it?" She replied: "I have!" (no such book exists!)

by Used to be cutereply 5101/29/2013

GR exposed the abuses at insane asylums, and his reports eventually had most of them closed down. And most of the people inside were just let go. We all know how that has worked out.

He also exposed Howard Hughes addiction to codeine at the time of his death. GR report exposed Elvis Pressley's drug addiction. Geraldo coined the phrase "Dr. Feelgood" to describe Pressley's main doctor.

And since this is DL, back then he was very cute, with great hair and a nice basket.

by Used to be cutereply 5201/29/2013

He didn't invent the term Dr. Feelgood!

by Used to be cutereply 5301/29/2013

I had a friend who was in daytime tv and had done stories on searching for his birth mother and how he felt about that. So Geraldo invites him on to talk about it on a show about adoption. He asked them several times if it was some sort of suprise thing and he did not want to meet his birth mother on tv if they found her. The producer assured him that was not the case, then he gets on the show and they bring out his birth mother and sister he never knew he had...he was shell shocked. Classy classy show.

by Used to be cutereply 5401/29/2013

"He was also one of the first and only journalists to stand his ground (along with Maury Terry) about Satanic cults being real and dangerous. (He had NYPD sources who dealt with it on a daily basis.)"

Of course you know all that garbage he put out about Satanists and Satanic cults was a big pile of bullshit, don't you? He helped start the "satanic panic" that occurred during the eighties, when a lot of people believed that devil-worshiping rapists, murderers and cannibals were rampant in society. After much investigation it was determined that all the tales of horror and evil were fantasies dreamed up by hysterical, disturbed people. There was never any proof or evidence to back up their accusations and testimony. None at all.

Rivera later weakly apologized for stirring things up. But e didn't give a shit if there was any truth to the lurid imaginings of not credible people or not. He just wanted to make money and get high ratings.

by Used to be cutereply 5501/29/2013

His serious career was over when a brawl broke out on the set of his talk show and he participated in the melee. All downhill since.

by Used to be cutereply 5601/29/2013

He pulled Bette Midler into a laundry room at a party and shoved a bottle of poppers under her proboscis and had his way with her!

by Used to be cutereply 5701/29/2013

who didn't r57

by Used to be cutereply 5802/22/2013

[quote]He has been quietly vindicated on that over the years.

Vindicated by what? The word of the pastor from your sad snake-handling church? Grow up, idiot.

by Used to be cutereply 5902/22/2013

R33 is a fundie religious nut. No rampant satanic murders.

by Used to be cutereply 6002/22/2013

Carl Hiaasen has a not-so-thinly-disguised character named Reynaldo Flemm in his very funny novel "Skin Tight."

Reynaldo is a sleazy TV "journalist" who's investigating a sleazy plastic surgeon. Good read.

by Used to be cutereply 6102/22/2013

He was on some other show shortly after the skinhead incident and Cher called in, asking "Hi Geraldo! How's your nose?"

by Used to be cutereply 6302/22/2013

Sau what you want about him, most of you would have hit that

by Used to be cutereply 6402/22/2013

And that

by Used to be cutereply 6502/22/2013

Geraldo came to my high school in the 70s, dragging poor Bernard From Willowbrook with him. A boy from our school had recently been hit by a car and killed after a basketball game. Students thought there should be a traffic light in front of the school. Geraldo goaded them into staging a demonstration the next day, saying he would send a camera crew to record the event and broadcast it on Eyewitness News. I was waiting for my bus and watched these kids running back and forth across this highway in heavy traffic with their little protest signs. Very dangerous. Geraldo never showed up. His brother was a student in a HS in Babylon at the time and a few of our real Puerto Rican students put out word and had his brother beaten up. That wasn't nice.

by Used to be cutereply 6602/22/2013

He paved the way for those other sleazy clowns like Morton Downey Jr, Richard Bey, Jenny Jones, Jerry Springer and so many others. Glad I don't have to see his fug face on T.V. anymore.

by Used to be cutereply 6702/22/2013

Didn't Geraldo get carried away by the Wind in a Hurricane a few years back? I thought he was already dead.

by Used to be cutereply 6802/22/2013

Yeah the aryan brawl was awesome, it was Tom and John Metzger who argued with him. They still have a show from their basement bunker in Fallbrook.

I was in high school in the late 80's and would always watch Geraldo and Donahue, I still miss Donahue but Geraldo was the worst. He had the cheesiest titles for his shows, one I remember was about suburban women drug addicts and was called, "Money, furs, heroin? Funny lady, you don't look like a junkie!" It was so bad and Geraldo kept repeating the title after commercials, I still haven't forgotten 20 some years later.

by Used to be cutereply 6902/22/2013

Lol, one of my favorite tv moments was Geraldo reporting from a beach as a hurricane was getting underway. This was a long time ago, maybe 30 years or more. Two wildly gesturing town police were in the background. They got closer and you could hear, "Get off the beach you fucking idiot!," and the report ended abruptly and returned to the studio.

by Used to be cutereply 7002/22/2013

He tweeted a shirtless picture yesterday in honor of his 70th bday. You know, as serious journalists tend to do.

by Used to be cutereply 7107/21/2013

Totally unrelated to anything else mentioned but one of his ex wives went on to date Bruce Willis until he cheated on her with Demi

by Used to be cutereply 7207/21/2013

Even the Willowbrook expose seems questionable now since it helped accelerate the movement to eliminate public funding for care of the mentally ill and disabled and dump them in the streets.

by Used to be cutereply 7307/21/2013

Remember me, bitches?

by Used to be cutereply 7407/21/2013

On the Playgirl cover link, I thought it said: "GERALDO RIVERA: PROBING PUSSY PERFECTIONIST"

The guy had so many wives and was a serial cheater, that should have been the cover copy!

by Used to be cutereply 7507/21/2013

Here's his new pic. I.... don't know what I think.

by Used to be cutereply 7607/21/2013

^^^^Lordy, why would he DO that?

by Used to be cutereply 7707/21/2013

Robert Downey Jr. played Rivera in "Natural Born Killers." Well, not officially, but for sure. He is hysterical.

Geraldo had one fine ass back in the day and the tight pants to prove it.

Bette Midler made a distasteful face and admitted to having sex with him, saying "I wouldn't call that little thing an affair."

by Used to be cutereply 7807/21/2013

He's got Gay Voice.

by Used to be cutereply 7907/21/2013

He's a disgusting human being, shilling for attention via controversy.

by Used to be cutereply 8007/21/2013

He claims that Mick Jagger and Rudy Nureyev once tried to make him the meat in their sandwich, back in the day. Uh-huh.

He's also a former son-in-law of the late, great Kurt Vonnegut--who understandably loathed Gerry.

by Used to be cutereply 8107/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.