Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is this the lamest Oscar race in history?

I've been following the Oscars religiously since I was 12 in 1982 and I think this is the lamest lineup of nominees in my memory.

Lincoln vs Argo vs Sliver Linings Playbook for Best Picture? Zzzzzz. All 3 are good, but not great. The only truly great film nominated (out of 9, no less) is Amour and it doesn't stand a chance.

Daniel Day-Lewis for Best Actor? Ok, he's great, astonishing, even, but this will be his third and I really can't get excited about that.

Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress? I like her, she's good in the film, but while her win won't be the worst thing that ever happened, her performance simply pales next to Emmanuelle Riva and even Naomi Watts. Oh, well, at least it won't be Jessica "I lack charisma" Chastain or Qubooboo.

Best Supporting Actor? Honestly, I don't care. In fact, does anybody care about this category? Remember back to the year the Academy had 5 previous winners present the acting awards -- this was the only category that did NOT get a standing ovation. And now we have 5 previous winners competing for the award. So nobody will care again.

Anne Hathaway for Best Supporting Actress? No. Just. No.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

Oh, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2013

No, it's not. Far from it.

This will not be another year of a piece of shit winning an oscar. Like the years when we had to endure Out of Africa, Rainman, Dances with Wolves, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic and Gladiator being pronounced the best movie of the year.

You are right tht his year's winner will most likely be Argo, Lincoln or Silver Linings Playbook, all of which are good movies and Argo, the best of those three, is probably the most likely to win.

I agree with you about one thing though. The best film in the bunch is clearly Amour. And while it will not win best picture I predict that Emmanuelle Riva will be the one wildcard - and much deserved! - win of the night.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

r2, I have to confess that I'd much rather watch Out of Africa, The English Patient, Titanic and Gladiator again before Argo.

I hope you're right about Riva.

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

OP, consider 1990: Goodfellas, a great film, lost.

It's competition: Dances with Wolves, Awakenings, Ghost and - most ridiculously - The Godfather Part III.

I think if you compare the overall quality of this year's crop of oscar contenders to 1990's, this is far from the lamest year in oscar history.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2013

While I'm not passionate about any of the nominees, I do think it is a solid list of films. If they'd included The Master, it would be excellent. I'd love to see a surprise - Riva, maybe Sally Field instead of AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

Oh big fucking YAWN. Every year you hear the same thing. The Oscars rarely honor excellence. Watch it and enjoy the spectacle or don't, but quit whining about it. It's never going to change.

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

Les Miserables is this year's best film. I hope it comes through and wins. Les Miz deserves Best Picture even if Anne Hathaway is the weak link in my opinion. The rest of the cast, the production, direction, music, story and cinematography are all outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

Now let me get this straight. You loved Les Miz AND you think Hathaway's performance is the weak link in it?

With all due respect, were you dropped on your head as a baby?

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

I'm certainly not that excited about the Oscars this year either, OP, so I can't blame you.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Why the hate for Dancing w wolves

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

r10, it beat a Scorsese film. Apparently, that's a cardinal sin for movie buffs: no matter how excellent the film is, if it beat a Scorsese film for Best Picture/Best Director, then it's bad by default.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

No, not because it beat a Scorsese film. But because I didn't think it was a good movie.

Of course other people can disagree. I can only give my opinion. Just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

Wow. All the way back to 1982.

You didn't endure the years of Ben-Hur, Oliver!, or (the nadir) Greatest Show on Earth. Consider your (relative) youth a Godsend.

But, because this is a silly year and Lincoln is falling behind in a lot of the precursor awards, look for some real surprises at the Oscars. That will help.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

I'd love a surprise in the Best Supporting Actress category, with either Adams, Hunt or Field taking the prize.

And please, just about anybody in the Best Supporting Actor category other than Christoph "I'm a self-impressed, humorless ACTOR" Waltz.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

For what it's worth, r13, I love Oliver! I think it's one of the best adaptations of a stage musical ever and deserved its Best Picture win (but, then, 2001: A Space Odyssey wasn't nominated that year).

I also like Ben-Hur. I don't love it, but it holds up a lot better than some of those other biblical epics and if you can get past Chuck Heston, there's some great acting from Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins and Hugh Griffith. And the chariot race is still jaw-dropping (especially on the big screen).

The Greatest Show on Earth -- I'll grant you that one.

But even in years where the Best Picture winner was not one of my favorites, at least an acting category or two was satisfying. Consider 1995: Braveheart, yes, is godawful, but the Best Actress race was phenomenal -- all of them deserved to be there (winner Susan Sarandon, nominees Elisabeth Shue, Sharon Stone, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson) -- and Best Supporting Actor was pretty good, too (winner Kevin Spacey, nominees James Cromwell, Ed Harris, Tim Roth [excluding the manic Brad Pitt]).

But this year: Best Picture is a wasteland save for Amour; Actor is a wasteland save for DDL; Actress is a wasteland save for Riva and Watts; Supporting Actress is a wasteland save for Field; and Supporting Actor is just a complete wasteland.

Instead, they've nominated some of the worst this year, performances that should be getting Razzie nominations, not Oscar nominations: Phoenix, Washington, Wallis, Hoffman, Adams, Hathaway. And nominating Chastain and Weaver just for punching in the clock? What kind of fuckery is that?

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

I agree with you, OP, in all categories. Except Helen Hunt was good, and Jacki Weaver is a very capable actress who delivered quiet and nuanced work in SLP. She's a genuine 'supporting actress', which is what this category should be about.

Ann Hathaway is the only odd man out, with her showboaty performance.

Apart from that, you're right. The Oscars are pretty dire this year.

At least they managed to get Haneke in, at the expense of Ben Affleck. Schadenfreude!

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

Les Miserables is going to win BP over Argo, so just deal with it!

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

The oscars haven't had a truly exciting race in quite a while now.

I kind of liked this year, because for the first time in a long time, it seemed so wide open. But we're getting to that point where every category seems to have a winner yet again, and it's boring. NONE of them deserve to be locks, and it's this type of predetermined mentality that is really killing the oscars.

I was very dissapointed that SAG went with the routine. DDL is good, but I almost feel like they're giving him a third one simply because they're unenthusiastic over the competition. But at least he's winning a third one for a good performance, and not some hokey, cartoonish embarassment.

But there really needs to be a few big surprises this year.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

Some people seem to think that Argo could win Best Director at the SGA and go on to win Best Picture at the Oscars.

Possible?

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

NEW THREAD REQUEST

Could a paying member please start a new thread & poll:

"What is the most scandalous nomination fail in Oscar history?"

Poll options should be:

Jean-Louis Trintignant - Amour; Tilda Swinton - We Need To Talk About Kevin; Kirsten Dunst - Melancholia; Naomi Watts - Mulholland Drive; Isabelle Huppert - The Piano Teacher; Sigourney Weaver - The Ice Storm; Madonna - Evita; Bette Davis - Of Human Bondage; Cher - Mask; Jeff Daniels & Mia Farrow - The Purple Rose of Cairo.

DL needs to discuss this!

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

Barbra Streisand for Best Director for "Yentl" and "The Prince of Tides"!!!! OMG! I'm crying as I type this!

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

No Oscar thread would be complete without my chiming in that Les Miserables could pull a Braveheart and win Best Picture even though it hasn't won any major awards except for Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2013

This is actually a good year with solid nominees. Every year at this time you get the trolls insisting this year is the worst year--they live for disappointment. Get a fucking life.

Let's see: "Argo," "Amour," "Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Lincoln," and "Life of Pi." You also have "Zero Dark Thirty" (overrated), "Silver Linings Playbook" (overrated), and "Les Miserables" (overrated). However, "Zero Dark Thirty" is worth a nomination. Same with the other films

Also, for best supporting actor, you have strong contenders. I mean, let's face it. Nothing can top the much undeserved nomination and win of Heath Ledger. Talk about a lousy win.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

R20 - I doubt you're really the Streep thing - the only one of those omissions that you listed that qualifies as a scandal is Davis for Of Human Bondage.

Scandal means people were talking, the trade sites and papers were buzzing.

No one gives a shit that Trintignant wasn't nominated - or, for that matter, that ANYONE on your list wasn't nominated save for Davis and, maybe, Weaver (although that snub hasn't proved timeless, the way the Davis snub has).

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

r24, there was huge buzz when Cher wasn't nominated for 'Mask'.

And there certainly was talk when Tilda Swinton and Naomi Watts weren't nominated for their films. There was even talk when Madonna lost out on a nomination for 'Evita'. That's why I included her.

Anyway, this is why we need a *thread* for this topic.

And yes, I am the 'Streep thing', hon.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

r24, in my weekly movie club, we were all shocked and saddened that JLT was not nominated for Amour. It was the one snub we agreed upon.

Nope, sorry, r23, the only films deserving of a nomination are Amour, Life of Pi and Lincoln. The others range from mediocre (Argo, Silver Linings Playbook) to utter crap (Beasts of the Southern Piece of Shit, Les Miserables).

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.