Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Living in NY and trying to eat like a normal person

OK, when does the novelty wear off? I can get amazing food delivered to my door all night. Great sushi. Sichuan or Taiwanese, amazing pho, delicious burgers, fries, pizza, subs, weird Southern stuff, great enchiladas, tacos, even a whole Ethiopian spread. i am going to become PUFFY.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

You posted the same thing a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

so?

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

That's the dichotomy with New York. It's the greatest city on Earth when it comes to the sheer availability of high quality dishes from all over the world, yet the majority of it's citizens also look like they barely eat any of it.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

OP, just have ONE new thing a week. The rest of the time focus on eating healthy and forget ordering out from restaurants offering highly caloric options.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

The novelty wears off when your first boyfriend in the city tells you that you could stand to lose a few from your 5'11"/155lb frame, so you stop eating, drop 15 pounds and develop an eating disorder that persists 13 years later.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

The thing that got me at first was that everyone delivers in NYC, even some of the upscale restaurants. When you can get a Smith and Wollensky filet mignon delivered to your front door, that's pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

Just wear black, it's very slimming.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Uh... make your own food like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

I am 6 " 1, 179 pounds, can do 100 pull ups in a session and eat a lot of good stuff in ny. stick with low sugar , high protein and low carbs and you will be fine. also do interval training : sprint for a minute , walk for two minutes. repeat and repeat until you are about to heave.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

[quote] You posted the same thing a few months ago.

Yes, he did. I remember this.

Maybe you can become as coprophagic as this thread is, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Cigarettes and coffee

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

R14 = obese

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

[quote] R14 = obese

Or a twink whose metabolism has yet to change

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

um, trying cooking

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

Marry me, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

R15 is mean and bitchy (this is DL I suppose), but makes a good point. Food is good and eating is one of life's pleasures. Point is you have to know this, and respect it. How? by making time to eat- never eat mindlessly. Don't overeat (mindless eating is a very easy way to overeat). And for the most part eat good, real food. Learn how to do some basic shopping, and food prep (cooking.) Eat 3 meals per day- no one needs snacks- snacks are a post WW2 invention of the Mad Avenue to get you to buy more food products. Don't skip b'fast. Almost all overweight people skip b'fast. (This is also the time when your body needs food the most- and if you are really paying attention, you are the most hungry. If you are not hungry in the AM- you are very likely full of lousy eating behaviors that have overwhelmed your natural hunger and satiety signals.) They tend to overeat as the day goes on peaking in the evening.

Eating should be a ritual- a pleasure, partaken with family and friends- never, ever done mindlessly. Eat what you want, but overeat on only the rarest occasions. Eat real food- avoid processed food as best you can.

In NYC it is easy to eat well for those who live in good neighborhoods which is most of us. It is also more expensive than in the suburbs. Many neighborhoods in Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn are relative food desserts with fast food and cheap delis the prominent food outlets.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

r19 is right. If you really love food then you will respect your food by taking the time to actually enjoy it and not mindlessly stuff it down your gullet.

Many studies show that overweight people tend to eat while doing something else (watching TV, surfing the net) and therefore are not really concentrating on what they're eating. Also, if you eat in this way, you tend to eat more of it. If you really love food you will slowly and mindfully savor every bite.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

Get the hell out of the house, OP. Endless delivery is just laziness, and contributes to poor eating choices. If you have to put a modicum of effort into your meals--even if it just means going out to pick it up--you're more thoughtful about it. And charlie's right--remaining thoughtful about eating is the most important element of eating not only well, but healthily.

Then again, if you're so overwhelmed by your delivery choices, you probably grew up on Franco-American and Olive Garden, so don't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Thanks R14 I couldn't have said it better.

As I posted here previously, the human body is not designed for the burden of a long-term high-protein diet.

It won't be a pretty sight when these cunts on the fad high-protein, low-carb diet suffer kidney failure and are "victims" begging their relatives to donate a kidney or are on waiting lists for transplants.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

It sounds like you just eat cheap ethnic food and fast food.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

I don't get the "never skip breakfast" tip. When I eat in the morning, I'm insatiable all damn day. My appetite goes into overdrive.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

Restaurant kitchens are filthy.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.