Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The death of all newspapers

While taking walks in the evening, my husband and I used to see the Toronto Star sold everywhere. Seeing them now has become less and less frequent. Could it be the beginning of the end for all newspapers. The toronto star is, by the way, one of the largest newspapers in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

I think paper news is basically only kept around for the older generation who aren't into computers or don't know how to use one. I have a feeling within the next 10 years they'll be basically gone. They're a waste of paper and they are out-of-date the minute they finish printing them.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

I agree, r1. I don't know anybody who reads print copies of newspapers, and even magazines are mostly read online by the younger generation. Once the older generation is gone, I think newspapers and magazines in print form will be gone too.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Why would you think any of us gives two shits about the Toronto Star?

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Yeah, most of the print newspapers are dying.

They all need to find a way to make money online or they'll die completely, and while some dumb shits here will say "who cares," having a paper that is willing to investigate and write about what's happening in your city/region is one of the best things about this country.

And if we lose that to blogs and websites that may not follow those same standards, we'll be fucked.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Newspapers will continue to disappear like pay phones and phone booths have.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

True, r5. When was the last time you saw a payphone except in an airport terminal or train station? I can't even remember the last time I saw a payphone anywhere else.

My parents who are well into their 60's are never going to give up their two daily newspapers. The thought of them (my father especially) sitting in front of a computer or a tablet to read their news every morning is ridiculous - they're too old to change what they've been doing for 50 years. I'm in my 30's and I have not been a regular newspaper (in print form) reader for about 10 years now. Everything is online for me, as well as everyone I know in my age group.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

The end of magazines too. I used to have many subscriptions but cancelled them all. I would rather read online.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

[quote]They all need to find a way to make money online or they'll die completely, and while some dumb shits here will say "who cares," having a paper that is willing to investigate and write about what's happening in your city/region is one of the best things about this country.

Very true. My old local newspaper--and I've looked at a lot of issues from the 40s and 50s on what's left of the Google news archive--had a lot of local news. The current version largely consists of stories pulled off the AP/Reuters feed, plus local sports and police reports.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

That reminds me, OP. Does anyone know what happened to the town cryer? I can't remember the last time I saw that loud mouth.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

I love them still, but even I like the small format tabloid kind with 3 pages of comics.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

Newspapers in Canada died a couple decades ago when they were all bought by Conrad Black and turned rightwing.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2013

While I read papers online, I prefer to hold a paper in my hand. Having a physical copy of it, I tend to read more stories and read more thoroughly.

Also many times going online to read a paper, I don't read a story because the headline doesn't grab me. But with the physical version, even if the headline doesn't grab me, sometimes the photo or the headline on the jump page will.

But I agree, the print edition of the paper will be gone in the next 10-15 years, save for a handful of papers like the NY Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2013

I was visiting my 60-something parents this past weekend and their Sunday paper was not delivered, so they asked me to go out and buy one. I haven't read a physical copy of a newspaper in years, and I suddenly realized I had no idea where to go and get one. I had to ask my mother "can you still get newspapers in a grocery store or the gas station?" I honestly never notice anymore what places still sell them. I had my iPad with me and offered to pull up the local paper's website, but my mom and dad had not interest. "I don't want to read the paper on a damn computer, I want the real thing!"

So yes, I think newspapers (in print form, anyway) are going to be gone as soon as the baby boomers get too old. Magazines too. I don't know anyone my age, or within 10 years older/younger than me who reads them.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

Every summer my mother comes to stay for a few months and I have to get a subscription to the local newspaper for her. She rails and rails about how uninformed I must be, then says I am addicted to the Internet. I tell her I read my news and get my tv and movies on the Internet. "Anybody can say anything on the Internet!" she harrumphs, and then turns on Fox News.

I let her watch Fox News and the Catholic channel in my sitting room. She's half dead as it is; there's no point in trying to talk sense to her. She has a very low blood oxygen level.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

They can have my newspaper when they pull it from my ink-stained fingers.

Ads, pop-ups, no-name "reporters," "30 Best Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Oatmeal," tits and ass....

I have to sit in front of a computer for 8 - 10 hours a day.

I want newsprint with my morning coffee!

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

My local newspaper used to sweep annual journalism awards thanks to their fantastic investigative reporting. Then it got bought by the Trib. 75% of the staff was let go. No more investigating anything. Then the family who owns the local cable company and local news channel bought the paper. In less than a generation it went from being a 200 page paper with separate sections for news, sports, entertainment,environment, business, want ads, etc to about 70 pages of crap. Last year, they backed Romney and an all GOP local roster. A once proud institution backed a tea party candidate for local congress -- a guy who moved here from another state and began running for office immediately after relocating -- because he was a businessman and "we could use a businessman in congress."

As if no businessman had ever held a congressional seat before....

The guy openly bragged about relocating jobs to India. That's w hat he does for a living.

The tea party guy lost and immediately put his house up for sale. He's relocating to an area he feels is more deserving of a job-outsourcing carpetbagger.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

Newspapers are still better than online crap. Someone will start a new chain. They aren't dead permanently.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

It's like with vinyl records. Everyone thought we would never see any more.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.