Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shelley Long

Tell me everything you know!

by Anonymousreply 15207/22/2015

She apparently tried committing suicide in 2004. Maybe she's not all there? I can't help but like her though, her characters were always so charismatic. I've never heard from anyone who's met her in person though. Maybe she's a hermit?

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Total cunt.

There's at least one crazed Shelley Long Troll here who will be all over this thread soon, but just know from someone who knows, she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

I'm sad her face has become puffy. Her most amazing role was Troop Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Tell me more, R3! Enquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

She was indeed fabulous as Phyllis Nefler! Fabulous, just FAAAABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

She was great on Cheers and a hoot on her guest appearance on Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

The Cheers episodes with Shelley hold up over time, but not so much the ones with Kirstie Alley.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

There was another Shelley thread not so long ago. Many of the posters were on Team Shelley.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Gay rendition of Phyllis Nefler's scary story...

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

Love her as Carol Brady in "The Brady Bunch" movies. She's really quite good in "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and has some wonderful moments in "Irreconcilable Differences."

Ted Danson recently gave Shelley credit for making "Cheers" so good. It was nice but would have been nicer back in the 80s when so many bad stories were going around about her. I'm sure she can be difficult but she is talented.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

If you read the recent article on Cheers, than it would appear that Shelley was the most professional out of the entire crew. And seemed to be extremely loathed simply because of that.

Bette Midler, however, said that Shelley was horrible to work with on the set of Outrageous Fortune.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Marry me, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

The only thing I remember hearing was that she was late to set often because she was never satisfied with her hair. I also heard she didn't like alot of the playing around some of the actors would get into. She was great on the show no matter what as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

I can't help but to feel a little sorry for her. Her ego got in the way and she thought she could do better in movies, and with the exception of the Brady Bunch movies, it was a disaster and her career never recovered. Think about it - if she had stayed on "Cheers", she would have been made the shitload of money that Ted Danson made in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

She was not well-liked by the Cheers cast for whatever reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

The Shelley episodes of Cheers are so much better than the Kirstie ones. Shelley and Ted really had screen chemisry, and I thought she was insane to leave the show. But if she was unhappy (and if most of the crew was not especially kind to her) then I could see why she would want to leave.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

R18 - I agree. I like Kirstie, but Rebecca was not nearly as good a character as Diane.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

She left because she thought she was going to make a lot of movies and became a successful movie star. A lot of these TV actors and actress get do this and their careers collapse. They aren't very business and career savvy. I agree Shelley episodes are the best on Cheers. i love her character much more than Kirstie Alley's

BTW, R13 nailed!

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

[quote]The Shelley episodes of Cheers are so much better than the Kirstie ones.

Ditto.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

ww fr r13

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

I am not the Shelley Long troll, but she is a fantastic actress. I would not compare Diane Chambers to Rebecca Howe - they were two different characters and both actresses played them beautifully. I don't understand commenters who basically diss Kirstie Alley in Cheers - her character provides some of the biggest laughs of the latter seasons (that is, once writers realized that a beautiful aoman can also be funny and that a fuckup, gold digging, dignity - deficient RH presented more comedic possibility than a straightlaced comedic straigh-woman).

But this thread is about sweet Shelley Long. Anybody who can make you like a Diane Chambers is Ok with me. It was so sad to hear of her hospitalization years ago - but the story was shut down and brushed over quickly, so it seems everyone forgot about it. I did.

I hope Shelley Long knows that her vulnerable portrayls really touched jerks like me. In the 1980s only Meryl Streep (She Devil - don't judge me!!) and Shelley Long punched through my talented-actor-oblivousness.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

The stories that surfaced around the recent Cheers anniversary painted Shelley in a more favorable light, and didn't do Rhea Perlman any favors.

Different people said Shelley could be a challenge, and she always wanted to rehearse, ask "why" and analyze the shit out of things, which could be annoying. But they all said it wasn't craziness or ego on her part, just wanting shit to be really good.

Ken Levine (writer/producer on Cheers) explains here:

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

Basically, she's the Katherine Heigl of the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

Oh no, R25.

I presume you're joking/being bitchy but Long has actual talent. Heigl is an entitled cunt whose whole MO was fame whoring and ego.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2013

I loved her in the now-forgotten, but nevertheless great '80s movie, Hello Again.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2013

Disclaimer: Another Shelley Long fan here. I liked Kirstie on Cheers too, but she's become tiresome since then.

As for Shelley, I enjoyed her on Cheers, and agree that her seasons were the strongest. (Although part of that credit also goes to Nick Colasanto as Coach.)

I know the story goes that she left Cheers to make it in the movies. But based on the recent stories we've heard, I wonder if she left because Cheers was kind of a hostile environment for her. It definitely sounds like she had a different approach to acting, and that froze her out with the rest of the cast.

As far as her movie career, she takes a lot of crap but I thought it was strong. Night Shift, The Money Pit, Outrageous Fortune, Troop Beverly Hills, and the Brsdy movies were all enjoyable in my opinion. She may have never had a huge hit, but I didn't think any of those were big flops either.

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

R27, I watched her in that too and I remember liking that movie - also Troop Beverly Hills.

Looking for the right clips that show off Diane / Rebecca, I can't resist posting this Cliff Claven "Electric Button" clip:

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

[quote]I liked Kirstie on Cheers too, but she's become tiresome since then.

I agree. I used to like her, but the last several years she comes off as loud, angry, vulgar, and annoying. It's hard to enjoy the Rebecca years knowing what a bitch she is in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

She was a vulgarian!

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

This clip highlights Kirstie's talent. Backstory makes it funnier

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

Choked...on a chicken bone?

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

As a young gayling, I was OBSESSED with the white dress Lucy was wearing when she was resurrected by her sister in Hello Again. I also loved her fashions in Troop Beverly Hills quite a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 3401/27/2013

She was funny as Carol Brady in the 90s Brady satire films.

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013

R33, no Rebecca Howe was tring to quit smoking.

by Anonymousreply 3601/27/2013

I can tell you a few things about early Shelley Long. When I was a growing up, Shelley was always on TV in Chicago. Around '73-'75 she was a sweet and wholesome long haired willowy babe (think Deborah Raffin) who co-hosted a a weekly local infotainment magazine show called Sorting It Out. Throughout most of the 70s she also did dozens and dozens of cute but dorky commercials for suburban Homemakers Furniture stores.

She's also a Second City alum. When I was 14 I happened upon an issue of Crawdaddy magazine (circa 1976) that did a piece on SC. There was a pic of the troupe with Shelley holding two long balloons in front of her tits. Around 1978, I remember being slightly flabbergasted to see Shelley on a 2 part episode of Family as Willie's older woman girlfriend.

When Cheers began I thought Diane was such a prim and uptight downer compared to the Shelley I was used to relating to.

by Anonymousreply 3701/28/2013

[quote]Bette Midler, however, said that Shelley was horrible to work with on the set of Outrageous Fortune.

Didn't Ken Wahl have a difficult time working with Bette Midler in "Jinked"?

by Anonymousreply 3801/28/2013

[quote]Didn't Ken Wahl have a difficult time working with Bette Midler in "Jinked"?

I read that it was the other way around. Allegedly, Midler had problems with Wahl, in part, because he was homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 3901/28/2013

I thought the Money Pit was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4001/28/2013

Why is it so difficult for all of you to understand that a talented and pretty young actress who's been enormously successful on a TV show would want to spread their wings and take on other projects and play other characters, even at the jeopardy of never repeating their original success? I'm sure she'd felt she played every possible aspect of Diane.

Actresses only have a short shelf life at stardom and need to move on when they still have youth and looks on their side. And all actors hate to be typed as only ever playing one role, particularly when the role is something of a limited caricature.

It seems completely logical to me that Shelly made a reasonable decision to leave Cheers even if she knew she would never again match the success of that show. I think it was worth failing just to make the attempt to diversify.

by Anonymousreply 4101/28/2013

[quote]It's hard to enjoy the Rebecca years knowing what a bitch she is in real life.

Rebecca was a bitch on the show, too. It's amusing to me that Diane gets a lot of hate and gets called a "cunt" and "bitch," but her character was rather kindhearted and always went out of her way to help out those in the fringes, like Cliff and Norm. She always tried to lend a hand when she could, including to those who were always pricks to her, like Carla. The only annoying thing about Diane was that she was a psudo-intellectual, but even then why is it a crime for someone to aspire to intelligence and higher learning? In this country, wanting those things makes you a snob.

Rebecca, on the other hand, was a social climbing gold digger, and she was always a bitch to Cliff and Norm, even sweet Woody. And she cried too much in every friggin' episode, especially in the latter seasons. I hated her character. Kirstie's cracking voice was also annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4201/28/2013

Bette Midler has been a world class pain to work with for EVERYONE who has worked with her.

Aside from her well known clashes with Wahl (which may have been Wahl's doing), there's a long list of people who have scratch marks from Midler. Including the folks who worked on her TV show.

On a related note, thanks to everyone who gave me W&W for R13 - thanks for popping my W&W cherry!

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2013

[quote] The only annoying thing about Diane was that she was a psudo-intellectual, but even then why is it a crime for someone to aspire to intelligence and higher learning? In this country, wanting those things makes you a snob.

I agree that the US now has disdain for intelligence.

But Diane is a spin on a classic type, the "know it all." It wasn't so much that she wanted to make herself better, but more that she wanted to take everyone else along on the ride.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2013

Diane was a font of knowledge, but didn't know when to use it -- or not to use it.

One of the classic bits was when she won some Industry writing award and from the podium, thanked The Muses, which she then all named...

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2013

[quote]One of the classic bits was when she won some Industry writing award and from the podium, thanked The Muses, which she then all named...

All nine of them! haha! I love that bit.

I also love the Thanksgiving episode where Diane makes everyone go around the table and list things they're grateful for, but they say stupid things like Woody saying he's thankful he can do some weird thing with his tongue. So Diane takes the reigns and gives her speech:

[quote]"Now, I too am thankful for my health and my dear friends, but on this very special occasion my mind goes back over the years to the people who have influenced me, and I would like to name some of them for you... Pierre de Chardin... George Sand... Caravaggio... Emily Dickinson... The Buddha... Frank Lloyd Wright... [time lapse here, so there could be more] ... Jeanne d'Arc... Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop!"

XD

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2013

What made Diane work was that she was truly a perpetual victim in that bar; it was her versus everyone else, and it made her much more sympathetic because she was most assuredly the outsider.

And yes, Long's performances in hindsight are a marvel. Diane's lines are often arch, and in the hands of a lesser actress, the character could have been repellent.

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2013

She's good in "Irreconciable Differences." Not a bad flick, either.

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2013

[quote]What made Diane work was that she was truly a perpetual victim in that bar; it was her versus everyone else, and it made her much more sympathetic because she was most assuredly the outsider.

I missed that dichotomy when she left. Rebecca became just one of the guys.

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013

I don't know why people say that Shelley didn't have a good post Cheers film career. She had a string of hits that most actresses would kill for. They might not have been blockbusters but they were all pretty respectable.

My favorite Cheers snippet is when Sam is dating the candidate for city council(Kate Mulgrew) and Diane participates in the press conference. They ask her what her credentials are and she tells them she's from the weekly coupon cutter. She asks a whole bunch of pointed questions and ends up in a verbal fight with Sam which devolves into a squirt gun fight.

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2013

Diane Chambers was a wonderfully written, multi-dimensional character.

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2013

Once again, Midler is jealous of a greater talent. Go back to warbling your MOR pablum, Bette.

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2013

My favorite Diane line comes when she's putting down Gary of Gary's Old Town Tavern who says he graduated magna cum laude from Princeton. Her reply, "Couldn't make summa?"

The most touching Diane moment comes when she talks with Sam about Coach, who has died. Sam says something like "He hoped there wouldn't be too many stairs in heaven" and her reply is "Wise, in its way."

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2013

Albania - Coach tutors Sam.

Diane gets a great line at the end (not in clip): "If ignorance is Bliss, this is Eden".

by Anonymousreply 5401/28/2013

What's the difference between you and a jackass?

I don't know.

The jackass would know.

LOL She always killed me.

by Anonymousreply 5501/28/2013

I'm sorry, but she was brilliant in Irreconcilable Differences. She was brave and funny as hell and sad, too. I really love that movie. I agree with other posters...it seems that her acting style, and not her ego, drove her off of Cheers. I think she is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2013

Let's also not forget that Diane Chambers was shown as exceedingly gay-friendly in 1982, when that was not a prevalent trait (or even an acknowledged position) on ANY TV show.

The episode where she chastises the "Cheers" regulars for their homophobia and even brings Sam around to her way of thinking was astoundingly far ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 5701/28/2013

CARLA: Hey, wait! I got an idea! DIANE: You mean you've actually conceived something besides a child? CARLA: Whooaoo...a bitter and unprovoked attack. I like it!

by Anonymousreply 5801/28/2013

The writers on Cheers were fantastic.

Love Shelly Long too....!

by Anonymousreply 5901/28/2013

The Kate Mulgrew press conference was one of my favorites. She says her credentials are from the weekly shopper because she had to get a job in the market check-out line after she loved Cheers. Nice touch that here squirt gun matched her outfit.

I definitely prefer the Shelly Long years, but by the time she left, the Sam and Diane story had played out (although I saw her last season recently and it was better than I remembered). Her leaving probably gave the show about three more decent years it might not have had otherwise (sadly it went on for about 5 or six more years...)

I remember seeing a repeat of the gay patron episode in the mid to late '80s. This was when anygay plot involved AIDs, so it was nice the 1982 Cheers episode showing the gay men just like anyone else in the bar without a lot of angst. Norm's comment that he kissed better than Vera was classic.

by Anonymousreply 6001/28/2013

Meant to say that she took the check-out job after she *left* Cheers. In the previous episode she and Sam argued whether she was quitting or fired (she had written a seven page resignation letter).

by Anonymousreply 6101/28/2013

Once she left Cheers was still funny but it was a completely different show. It was more of a run of the mill sitcom. Still good, and I enjoyed it to the end, but it became just another funny show without her. `

by Anonymousreply 6201/28/2013

A seven page letter. LOL That's why I loved that character.

by Anonymousreply 6301/28/2013

I am so glad to see all the Shelley love here. She was brilliant as Diane and no matter how badly she might have been portrayed as being standoffish or a bitch around the Cheers set, there is just something so very likeable about her. Not many sitcom stars have much of a career after their one BIG hit. Shelley has done better than many.

She was also funny as the hooker in Night Shift, if someone hasn't already mentioned that.

by Anonymousreply 6401/28/2013

Shelley Long left Cheers at just the right time - both for her and for the show. Her storyline was a 5-yr arc. If she had stayed, it would have grown tired and boring. The show got to rejuvenate, and although it wasn't artistically/creatively as good, it became a bigger and bigger hit. But the first 5 years are pure classic television......I'm certain she's bipolar, which could explain her mood swings on the set - (she was probably undiagnosed at that time) - and why others felt so uncomfortable around her. And bipolars are usually BRILLIANTLY talented - (Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 6501/28/2013

I learned something from the GQ article that I hadn't known. Shelley had "Night Shift" completed before auditioning for "Cheers." I was sure that NS came after Cheers.

Based on the strong performance she gave in Night Shift, I am sure she would have had a very nice and long career in films. I agree about Irreconcilable Differences too, it is a very good movie with strong performances by everyone, including Ryan O'Neal and Drew Barrymore. It never shows up on TV

People are starting to resent Rhea Perlman's replies to questions about Shelley during their time on Cheers, but I don't think Rhea is dissing Shelley by refusing to go back and discuss her feelings about it. If it was an unpleasant time for Rhea, why rehash it?

by Anonymousreply 6601/28/2013

I'm a long-term DLer, and this seems to be one of the few -- if any -- turnarounds I've seen on DL re any celeb or pseudo celeb. My vague memory of all of the previous threads and posts about Long is that she was quite disliked by posters, the people involved with CHEERS, the viewing public, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't watch the show during its initial run, and have only seen bits of a handful of eps in syndication, none of which made an impression on me; therefore, my knowledge about her and CHEERS is limited. I do remember that when she left the show, and in the years following, she was often compared to David Caruso, and people (the general public, critics, the rags, etc) trashed the heck out of her and ridiculed her for her less-than-stellar career post CHEERS.

However, between Danson's recent shout out to Long, the oral history, and threads like this, it seems that Long is getting something of a vindication. It's quite curious to witness.

by Anonymousreply 6701/28/2013

an amazing musical performer

by Anonymousreply 6801/28/2013

I remember many years ago an interview with Ted Danson where he said that Shelley was a perfectionist and she would question and analyze and request changes. But Ted said Shelley was always right and always made the scene play better, so he went with it. However, others on the set had a "good enough" mentality. Watching the seasons after Shelley left, that's exactly what the show became--good enough. It was still funny but it was not longer the brilliant show it was when she starred in it. It increased in ratings after Shelley left partly because there were not many quality shows on anymore, and the show was still good, just not great.

by Anonymousreply 6901/28/2013

I liked Troop Beverly Hills, too, but the best part was when Craig T Nelson opened his door shirtless and sweaty from a work out.

by Anonymousreply 7001/28/2013

The last thread on Cheers/Shelley was very pro-Shelley, R67. I think it might have been this past summer/fall.

by Anonymousreply 7101/29/2013

[quote] I'm certain she's bipolar, which could explain her mood swings on the set - (she was probably undiagnosed at that time) - and why others felt so uncomfortable around her. And bipolars are usually BRILLIANTLY talented - (Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, etc.).

You are probably right. A few years ago it came out that she was addicted/or was abusing prescription drugs (pain killers). A lot of undiagnosed (and diagnosed) bipolar people abuse prescription drugs. They are basically self medicating

by Anonymousreply 7201/29/2013

[quote]The last thread on Cheers/Shelley was very pro-Shelley, [R67]. I think it might have been this past summer/fall.

That's only one thread (that I may have missed as I'm not on here 24/7). Regardless, it seems that there has often been quite a bit of general animosity directed towards Long over the years, and that's why the expressed appreciation of her seems striking to me.

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2013

R68 (for those of you on the Broadway thread)

Shelley Long IS MAME!

Rhea Perlman is GOOCH!

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2013

With regard to Cheers, I think Shelley got a bad rap for being a professional among a cast that thought they were magic and didn't have to rehearse. The cast's own accounts of post-Shelley years make it sound like the studio became a frat house with people showing up if they felt like it and screwing around when they did. I can see where there would be conflict with someone who cares about the work. As angry as they were with her back then (especially Ted Danson), he's admitted he was afraid the show would fall apart without her and wishes he'd been more graceful at the time. Looking back, I think they would all acknowledge that she was a major factor in the show's greatness. Too bad it seems the damage has been done to her reputation. She deserved far better.

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2013

"Irreconcilable Differences" says a lot about the writer's life and also Hollywood. Very good script Sharon Stone is funny in it and Drew is very good. They don't play it enough.

by Anonymousreply 7601/29/2013

When someone first mentioned IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES on this thread, I kept getting it confused with INTOLERABLE CRUELTY (the George Clooney/Catherine Zeta-Jones rom-com) and was like, "I don't remember her in that."

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013

I remember him in 'Outrageous Fortune' with Bette Midler. A funny movie and i hold fond memories of it, not because it was so great but because the time i watched it i was so innocent and little...

by Anonymousreply 7801/29/2013

*i remember her

by Anonymousreply 7901/29/2013

Bette Midler says it was rough to work with Shelley Long on Oprah in 1988

by Anonymousreply 8001/29/2013

Like the scene in "Differences" when her gay assistant and the maid come in to tell her her book made N.Y. Times list and she gets all theatrical thanking them. "You were all here when I was writing it, not you, Consuelo, but you all are a part of this!" [sic]

by Anonymousreply 8101/29/2013

I remember seeing the "Hello Again" poster in the subway and someone had scrawled across Shelley's face: "This woman is a BITCH! I worked with her!"

by Anonymousreply 8201/29/2013

[quote]I don't know why people say that Shelley didn't have a good post Cheers film career. She had a string of hits that most actresses would kill for. They might not have been blockbusters but they were all pretty respectable.

Except for the Brady Bunch movies, Shelley's film hits were all released while she was in Cheers. As soon as she left the show her career died.

by Anonymousreply 8301/29/2013

Why she took a divorce after 23 years of marriage? That's so sad!

It was her idea or his idea? Of course maybe it was a consensus divorce...

Anyone knows?

by Anonymousreply 8401/29/2013

[quote]I remember seeing the "Hello Again" poster in the subway and someone had scrawled across Shelley's face: "This woman is a BITCH! I worked with her!"

I still remember seeing the big cardboard advertisement for Hello Again at the video rental store. The year was 1987, I was just eight years old at the time and still had my entire life ahead of me. Ahhh, memories.

by Anonymousreply 8501/29/2013

I've enjoyed every movie I have seen her in.

I could care less about set dramatics -- usually they are the fault of the producer/director and the toxic Hollywood environment.

by Anonymousreply 8601/30/2013

I'm glad the truth is getting out there re her behavior on the Cheers set.

by Anonymousreply 8701/30/2013

And yes, Cheers was a boy's club. Altho one prank that was pulled on Kirstie Alley sort of made me laugh. She was shooting Look Who's Talking and John Travolta said his pilot's "mentally retarded son" had been badly burned in an accident and would love to meet Kirstie. So she enters a room to find a guy in a wheelchair covered in bandages. He tells her he loves her and she says "I love you too." Then he jumps out of the chair, starts humping her and screaming that he loves her. It turned out to be Woody Harrellson who they'd flown in just to do this prank.

by Anonymousreply 8801/30/2013

What exactly Shelley Long did and made people to call her difficult?

by Anonymousreply 8901/30/2013

It seems like everyone's main problem with her was that she wanted to talk over every script for hours. Which of course is exactly what Diane would have wanted to do.

by Anonymousreply 9001/30/2013

R84 Her husband was the one who asked for the divorce. Apparently the last few years of the marriage, she was obsessed about trying to make a comeback and didn't pay much attention to her husband during that time, and he felt they had grown apart and decided the marriage was over.

by Anonymousreply 9101/30/2013

One thing I missed after Shelley left CHEERS was the running gag of Norm walking into the bar and the chorus of "Norm!!!" followed by Diane's "Norman." It wasn't the same entrance after that.

by Anonymousreply 9201/30/2013

R92 You're right. It wasn't the same. The Diane years were definitely better.

Another thing I didn't like about the post-Diane years is that the show seemed to have too much going on at once and too many continuous storylines that lasted too long.

by Anonymousreply 9301/30/2013

Is that so bad that she wanted to talk over every script for hours? That's why people called her a bitch and difficult or she was rude and cruel with some people who happened to be around?

by Anonymousreply 9401/30/2013

They all wanted to move on and get to the blocking etc but Shelley would hold everything up debating every point in the script. They all got sick of it. Read the GQ piece, it's online.

by Anonymousreply 9501/30/2013

Danson says in that piece there was nothing mean about what she did, and that she was honestly trying to make the show better and had good ideas. But in the next breath he basically says that while he loved acting with her, he didn't like to be around her otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 9601/30/2013

[quote] It seems like everyone's main problem with her was that she wanted to talk over every script for hours. Which of course is exactly what Diane would have wanted to do.

R90, I think you've hit on the head why Shelley was persona non grata and had a bad reputation for so long.

She was an obviously professional actress and one that was invested in her work. But her traits intersected with the irritating traits of Diane Chambers, and I think at some point people kind of blurred the boundaries and were just..."she bugs the fuck out of me!"

by Anonymousreply 9701/30/2013

I think the problem is that her kind of behavior might be fine for stage or film, but a weekly TV series has to be done on a very tight schedule and there just isn't time for a thorough analysis of every line and action.

by Anonymousreply 9801/30/2013

Perhaps she was just staying in character?

by Anonymousreply 9901/30/2013

Of course, you have to wonder whether her "being difficult" is the reason those shows are so well-written. Certainly there's enough other shows where you wonder why nobody in the writers room or cast piped up and said "This is fucking stupid."

by Anonymousreply 10001/30/2013

[quote]But her traits intersected with the irritating traits of Diane Chambers, and I think at some point people kind of blurred the boundaries and were just..."she bugs the fuck out of me!"

And maybe the others intersected with their characters too. It's obvious Rhea Perlman felt the same way about Shelley that Carla felt about Diane.

I was looking through some old Cheers articles and one piece (NY Times) pointed out that one pitfall the show avoided was changing the characters into stand-ins for the actors and their personal beliefs, the way shows like MASH or Roseanne did. Which is true, but there was obviously a lot of native overlap between Shelley and Diane.

by Anonymousreply 10101/30/2013

I just rewatched the three part Strange Bedfellows story with Kate Mulgrew and the press conference. It is even funnier now.

by Anonymousreply 10201/30/2013

[R13] You make a valid point, but to be fair Bette was very pregnant and 40 years old during the shooting of Outrageous Fortune. She probably would have thought Gandhi was as ASS

by Anonymousreply 10401/31/2013

is that bette's husband defending her at R104? LOL

by Anonymousreply 10501/31/2013

She keep the rest of the cast waiting long periods while she perfected her hair and makeup. She'd have them completely redo her hair in between scenes. Someone in charge should've told her to speed it up, every strand of hair didn't have to be exactly in place.

by Anonymousreply 10601/31/2013

After watching a bunch of the old shows on Netflix (home sick!), I can kind of see why Shelley had had enough after five years. The Sam and Diane scenes were great but watching the episodes back to back, they did have a pretty repetitive dynamic -- they appear to agree on something, then Diane has a problem with it, they fight, then they agree to move forward, then Sam has a problem, they fight again.... Sam's relationship with Rebecca was less predictable, from what I recall.

However, repetition is pretty much the way of all sitcoms...

by Anonymousreply 10702/01/2013

Danson and Alley didn't have much chemistry. I wonder if that's why they didn't make them a couple? It started out as a love-hate thing, which I assume was meant to warm up as it went on, but was scrapped 'cause there was no chemistry there. Instead, they just became good friends, though there was a time early on when Sam turned into such a lech, always proposing Rebecca and making blunt sexual references to her. He became despicable (and pathetic) to me until they scrapped the Sam/Rebecca thing entirely and just made them friends.

by Anonymousreply 10802/01/2013

A lot of Sam's dialogue wouldn't fly anymore, at least not for the "likable" lead of the show.

by Anonymousreply 10902/01/2013

[quote]Danson and Alley didn't have much chemistry. I wonder if that's why they didn't make them a couple? It started out as a love-hate thing, which I assume was meant to warm up as it went on, but was scrapped 'cause there was no chemistry there.

I think a big part of it too was that they changed Rebecca's character so much -- they realized she wasn't funny as a tough businesswoman so they made her more and more neurotic and pathetic, to the point where you wouldn't have wanted Sam to get together with her.

by Anonymousreply 11002/01/2013

[qutoe]When I lived in Boston, I met so many Dianes doing their Masters at the various universities...

Unfortunately, you can find this all over the country now; people becoming "professional students" in order to avoid making a decision on what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

And then they wonder why they are in so much debt...

by Anonymousreply 11102/01/2013

Funny R111, I was JUST thinking about that today after one of my Facebook friends (who's 33 years old now) posted something about finally finishing his Master's. Dude's been in college since 1998!

by Anonymousreply 11202/01/2013

R112 Exactly! And the ironic thing is that the majority of the people that I know that do have Master's usually still end up with shitty, low-paying jobs...just like Diane!

by Anonymousreply 11302/01/2013

If "Diane" was working in a decent sized bar and collecting good tips, she'd be doing better financially than with any other Master's degree level job.

by Anonymousreply 11402/01/2013

Rebecca Howe was one of the least funny characters to ever appear on an acclaimed sitcom. I think Alley was popular so some people convinced themselves that her character was funny. She was not. Alley and Danson had no chemistry and I'm glad their characters never fell in love.

by Anonymousreply 11502/01/2013

Rebecca's best moment came when she met up with her high school boyfriend Harvey Fierstein. Obviously Rebecca had no gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 11602/01/2013

How come her singing career never took off? She had such a great singing voice!

by Anonymousreply 11702/02/2013

[quote] an amazing musical performer

Uh... No!

by Anonymousreply 11802/03/2013

Watch chairs over and over and I thought Shelley Long she was always a little and Sam she always stuck her nose where didn't see her he was horrible look like something out of a Frankenstein movie and Pinion but I'll bet a lot of my friends concur

by Anonymousreply 11911/08/2014

That was remarkably coherent, R119.

by Anonymousreply 12011/08/2014

Shelley was the best thing that could have happened to Ted Danson professionally. What she did with her character Diane made "Sam" an interesting and likable antihero. Without her, Sam was scattered and uninteresting, and Ted Danson's acting was quite dull.

by Anonymousreply 12111/08/2014

Hello Again and Money Pit were my childhood favourites. She must have done something right. She worked all through 80's and 90's. I remember young Drew Barrymore said she didn't like working on Irreconcilable Differences, because "Long and O'Neill fought all the time".

by Anonymousreply 12211/08/2014

loved the TV movie Shelly did with Patty Duke called fall in love with the girl next door

by Anonymousreply 12311/08/2014

Please tell me R119 is a gag post.

by Anonymousreply 12411/08/2014

musical theatre genius

by Anonymousreply 12511/08/2014

R122 = "I remember young Drew Barrymore said she didn't like working on Irreconcilable Differences, because "Long and O'Neill fought all the time"."

Method acting?

by Anonymousreply 12611/08/2014

The Opera Clip. The look she gives Norman when he opens his beer shows just how good Shelley was.

by Anonymousreply 12711/08/2014

Hide all knives and sharp objects if she visits your home. Keep your meds locked up. And never, never, mention Camp Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 12811/08/2014

**Troop Beverly Hills

sorry

by Anonymousreply 12911/08/2014

I enjoy Irreconcillable Differences a lot. Nice to see some mentions. Long was great (I think she was Globe nom'd for it) and O'Neal was actually good and cast well in it, too.

Interesting that Sharon Stone would have to plug away for another decade before she became famous. If this movie had been more successful I assume it all would have happened much earlier for her. I always thought she was best at comedy, anyhow.

R121 I don't totally agree with what you're saying but I kind of get it - Danson is at his best when he is the exacerbated reactor (even in a kind of crappy movie like Mad Money) - which doesn't make him at all untalented, but it just means that he had a very specific strength, and that yes Long did bring out the best in him.

by Anonymousreply 13011/08/2014

[quote]And never, never, mention Camp Beverly Hills.

Really? She was fun in that.

by Anonymousreply 13111/08/2014

She looks really heavy on Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 13211/08/2014

R132 her medication, maybe? I know certain anti depressants can make you fat.

Just don't ask me which ones.

by Anonymousreply 13311/08/2014

R128 = Wendy Williams. Wendy's always calling it "Camp Beverly Hills".

by Anonymousreply 13411/08/2014

Ted Danson is another one of those odd cases. He was extremely good looking. Near perfect. But not the least bit sexy. Can't imagine him ever throwing down a fuck. Which always led me to believe he was gay and deeply closeted. I'm probably wrong I know but in cases like this that is what I always think.

by Anonymousreply 13511/08/2014

Danson looked too much like Herman Munster for me to take him seriously as a Lothario. They kept going on about how "gorgeous" Sam Malone was, and I was like, "Uh, not really."

IT would've been funnier if they'd done what they did with Blanche on THE GOLDEN GIRLS. Rue was not the prettiest woman on the show, but the joke was that SHE thought she was drop dead gorgeous. Meanwhile, her other flatmates rolled their eyes at her delusion.

But on CHEERS Sam was supposed to be DDG, but the casting of Danson didn't fit, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 13611/08/2014

R135 actually I would say the opposite - for me anyway (and this is coming from a straight female). Not perfect looking, but something very sexy about him, especially in the early years. And his chemistry with Diane added to all of that.

Like I said before I think he tends to get underrated because his true strength is as a "reactor."

He doesn't translate well into every project but when he does there are few better. Was great on Bored to Death, too.

by Anonymousreply 13711/08/2014

Ted was unbelievably good in Damages. I didn't know he had it in him. What was up with that weird shit with dating Whoopi?

by Anonymousreply 13811/08/2014

R138 - Yes, he was.

by Anonymousreply 13911/08/2014

What led to her being replaced on Cheers? Why didnt her film career take off? She reminds me of a real life Valerie Cherish- she just needs her real "Seeing Red.'

by Anonymousreply 14001/11/2015

Technically, Shelley Long was replaced on Cheers. However, she wasn't let go--she left the show voluntarily. She was very popular, and Cheers was a big hit. She wanted to pursue a movie career. She had a few movie hits (Irreconcilable Differences, Outrageous Fortune), but her movie career didn't sustain itself as she probably would have hoped.

But Shelley was funny on Cheers. Kirstie Alley (Shelley's "replacement") was funny too, but Shelley's role remains memorable

by Anonymousreply 14101/11/2015

She's a cunt of the highest order. Crazy, too. Tried to kill herself some time back.

by Anonymousreply 14201/11/2015

She was pretty viscous supposedly. She would openly discuss how much she hated the character of Fraiser right in front of Kelsey Grammar and would campaign to get him fired.

by Anonymousreply 14301/11/2015

We were just talking about her...

by Anonymousreply 14401/11/2015

She fought with Bette Midler on Outrageous Fortune.

Wasn't Midler just asked about that some where? I think she said it was a bad experience. (or I hallucinated that)

by Anonymousreply 14501/11/2015

Lelley Shong

by Anonymousreply 14601/11/2015

I don't know anything but she seems like she would be a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14701/11/2015

I did watch Troop Beverly Hills last night while drunk and it was amusing.

by Anonymousreply 14801/25/2015

All I know about Shelley Long is that she played my very favorite television character of all time. And the character is my favorite because of the writing and because of…. Shelley. She was the best! Love her.

by Anonymousreply 14901/26/2015

Her daughter doesn't post any pics or comments about her on Instagram or Twitter, yet seems very close to her father. Wonder if she and Shelley are estranged?

by Anonymousreply 15007/22/2015

Ted Danson didn't age well. He was quite hunky when the show began its run. He looked like the aging jock star he was supposed to be. Yes, I would have done him.

by Anonymousreply 15107/22/2015

Ted Danson was hot for the first 2-3 years of Cheers. Luckily, Woody Harrelson joined around the time Ted's hotness faded so we had eye candy for the rest of the series run.

by Anonymousreply 15207/22/2015
Need more help? Click Here.