Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How To Respond To A Redneck 'Humor' E-mail

Over the last few months my older sister in her sixties has began her online presence. She joined Facebook, and keeps in contact with the rest of the family via email. She began a few weeks ago with 'cute' pics and 'funny' stories and jokes. Recently she forwarded me a post outlining why rednecks don't go to the doctor. The gist is that rednecks are stupid. I was offended. I don't find any humor in making fun of any group. How can I make it clear to her that I didn't find her joke funny. Her prior forwardings have been things she thinks is inspiring or uplifting. Usually, it isn't. I want to respond with something that is tactful, yet I don't want to start any drama. Any ideas?

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2909/30/2013

Divert any mail coming from her directly to Trash.

If it's important, she'll get in touch another way, so don't worry about missing anything.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 101/27/2013

Roll your eyes and delete it.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 201/27/2013

No, I can't just say nothing. I'm just going to reply: "Did you even read what you sent? Not funny. It's racist."

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 301/28/2013

Redneck isn't a race.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 401/28/2013

I don't know what it is about old people your sister's age and forwarded emails but it's across all genders and colors.

Tell her you don't want ANY forwarded emails, period. NONE. I keep having to do that with an older female friend of mine.

Why can't they just send you the link to whatever it is...I think it's because they get it in their email & forward it to you.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 501/28/2013

If her grammar is as poor as yours, OP, no wonder you're annoyed.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 601/28/2013

R4 Sometimes ordinary things are just plain funny.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 701/28/2013

Agree r7.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 801/28/2013

What R9 said

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1001/28/2013

I told my elderly neighbor that joke or chain emails are banned at my job and therefore I.T blocked all of them. I told him I had no control over it. In fact I was the one who blocked him. He's a nice man but I can only take so many emails about believing in your inner voice or "funny" pictures of cats or "hilarious" cartoons.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1101/28/2013

I remind people like that that I'd rather hear about them than receive jokes and cutesy stuff that has been recycled umpteen million times. If it continues, I tell them to take me off their list if they can't/don't want to write about themselves. The third time I tell them what they're sending is annoying and I don't have time to read it. After that, it's spam city, baby.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1201/28/2013

It's Simple. Don't respond. Delete before you read. Your problem will be solved.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1301/28/2013

OPs obit will say "she died from being offended."

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1401/28/2013

Just don't read them. The delete button is there for a reason. Sheesh.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1501/28/2013

You guys make me sick. No wonder nothing changes in this world. You sheeple think we should all just roll our eyes and ignore racism. Had redneck been replaced with 'black' or 'women' or 'gays' that would have been ok? I think not.

As for you, R4, redneck may not be a race, but what race do you think that term if direct to? Hmm? Are you that stupid?

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1601/30/2013

yeesh - are you for real? I can guarantee you that no redneck has ever been offended, by anything.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1701/31/2013

A Redneck infers ignorance and backward, bigoted, backwoods stupidity and hate and fear and love of guns and religion. I don't see anything that shouldn't be made fun of with vigor.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1801/31/2013

Rednecks are not even a real minority Einstein.

It's like saying I am offended that people make fun of bitches and bros or socialites and Sleestak.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 1901/31/2013

Just say "I don't get this type of humour. Seems a bit mean to me. For forwards, I only like adorable baby animal photos (or whatever you don't find offensive)."

That way she might think twice about forwarding on potentially offensive stuff to you or others, and will still have the pleasure of forwarding shit to her brother. It's her way of maintaining contact, as you say.

r12 is a bit harsh. I drop hints that I hate forwards when I have the opportunity, but I don't sweat the ones who still do it. It's usually someone older and it's no biggie to just delete them.

[quote]Layed-Back Latin Guy

Although maybe sis is sending you a hint about your redneck grammar.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2001/31/2013

My mom thinks she has discovered the internet and all its treasures and feels she must share it. I started to get e-mails about everything from photography to cute babies to some accordion performer in Poland. I decided that the only way to let her understand what she is doing is by making her feel it. So I started forwarding about 50 links a day of "interesting" stuff. All I did is go on Reddit pics and just linked the first 50 entries every day. When she complained I promised to stop if she promised to stop as well. It worked.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2101/31/2013

[quote]A Redneck infers ignorance and backward, bigoted, backwoods stupidity

You mean "implies," not "infers," dear.

The abundance of spelling and grammar errors on a thread about rednecks and "layed-back Latins" is quite appropriate.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2201/31/2013

Rednecks creep me out. They're usually racist, homophobic drunks. And stupid on top of all that.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2305/05/2013

So, I finally after receiving yet another forwarded link to an 'inspiring' crap message, I e-mail my sister and told her: "I love hearing from you, but lately I noticed more and more of you e-mails are of an offensive nature or lead me to possible virus infected websites. I'm not sure if a hacker took over your e-mail, but let me know if you are getting this.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2409/30/2013

Just delete it and move on. Why make a big stink and ruin a family relationship at this point?

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2509/30/2013

She's 60. There is no way she is ever going to change.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2609/30/2013

Um... Rednecks ARE stupid.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2709/30/2013

You sound like a classy gentleman, OP.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2809/30/2013

Op is George Zimmerman. (Latin) He is offended because rednecks are his only supporters.

by Layed-Back Latin Guyreply 2909/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!