Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

KEEP THE LIGHTS ON (2012) Gay themed movie.

Now available on DVD. Watched it last night.

The physical romance between a gay filmmaker and an attorney soon evolves into a more complex relationship, laced with conflicting desires and one man's decent into drug use. Over several turbulent years, both men struggle to build a true acceptance of the other's strengths and flaws. Not rated.

Cast:Thure Lindhardt, Zachary Booth, Julianne Nicholson, Souleymane Sy Savane, Paprika Steen, Maria Dizzia, Sebastian La Cause, Justin Reinsilber, David Anzuelo

I know that the screenplay is partially based on a book written by a literary attorney about his drug addiction. Anyone else see movie?

by Anonymousreply 4303/29/2014

the trailer here

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

We have discussed it before not long ago.

I worked a little on the release. As I said last time, the best thing in it is Zachary Booth from "Damages" and his near constant full frontal nudity, as well as the numerous scenes of him taking it up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

It was boring.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Loved it. It was my #3 film of the year, below "The Deep Blue Sea" and "Amour" (I guess that tells you what kind of movies I like: dark, disturbing, haunting portraits of lives on the brink).

Thure Lindhardt gives a dazzling, exquisite performance: one of the most lived-in and real performances I've seen in years. He (and JLT from "Amour") should have gotten the Oscar nods that went to Phoenix and Jackman.

But the movie is not for all tastes. It's a meditative study of a caustic relationship with some stark, unerotic sexual scenes and a denouement that resolves the story but not happily or even with an "aha" moment.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Thure Lindhardt will be on the upcoming season of THE BORGIAS on Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

[quote] (I guess that tells you what kind of movies I like: dark, disturbing, haunting portraits of lives on the brink).

Smell you, Nancy Drew.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

[quote]Cast:Thure Lindhardt, Zachary Booth, Julianne Nicholson, Souleymane Sy Savane, Paprika Steen, Maria Dizzia, Sebastian La Cause, Justin Reinsilber, David Anzuelo

More stars than there are in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

How are the crack-smoking scenes?

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

It's EVERYDAY in WeHo!

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Isn't this based on that appalling Bill Clegg and his ex? I'd rather watch nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

The movie is by Ira Sachs who was Bill Clegg's boyfriend at the time of his crack addiction. It is his recollection as well as partially adapted from the book. As repulsive and navel gazing as the book was, the movie is so much worse.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

Paprika Steen - that's a drag name, right?

Julianne Nicholson is the lucky bitch married to Jonathan "Beef" Cake...

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

it's really boring...

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

[quote]As I said last time, the best thing in it is Zachary Booth from "Damages" and his near constant full frontal nudity

I didn't see any frontal nudity at all -- just a quick glimpse from behind of Booth's balls. Really low hanging balls.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

Former Broadway chorine Sebastian LaCause(Minnelli on Minnelli, The Rocky Horror Show) was so repulsive in this.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

Well done but bleak and depressing as hell. Be prepared to feel like crap after you see it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

Trust me, r14, his dick is in there. More than once. I had to go over that film with a fine tooth comb. For professional reasons, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

Agreed r15. He looked awful, and seemed completely creepy.

I had so many problems with this movie, not the least being that I find it so sad and pathetic to watch someone ugly obsessed with an equally unattractive and obviously mentally ill narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

Both guys give good performances. Booth's nudity is a highlight but I only saw his dick once but his huge balls made an appearance in two scenes.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

I was holding out for a murder-suicide.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

I wanted to see the movie about the gay filmmaker from the 50s that the German guy was making rather than his stupid relationship with that PNP queen.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Sheesh, Thure Lindhardt is Danish.

And do we know that Zachary booth is a 'mo?

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Two boring, fugly, messes. Two people you would gnaw your arm off to get away from in a social setting. Depressing navel gazing and angst. Yeah, that's some good movie ya got there.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

A movie about gay men who are drug addled sex addicts. That's novel.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

[quote]I had to go over that film with a fine tooth comb.

Caftan still in the wash?

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

Thure Lindhardt is also openly gay. Played a gay neo-Nazi skinhead in a pretty good Danish film, Brotherhood.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

"Brotherhood" was good, "Keep the Lights on" is pretentious trash.

"Yossi" was the great gay themed movie of 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

Yossi is just opening here in the states, so it'll be a 2013 movie for us.

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

The movie they are making in the film is a bonus feature on the DVD.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

The book was awful. Clegg was such a dick and his bf was the wimpiestenabler ever.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

Clegg is attractive. What's so repulsive about him?

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

So don't get the acclaim -- what little of it there is -- for this movie. Who did Ira blow to get the Independent Spirit noms, given that the movie had no presence on any other year-end awards or even ten-best lists??

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2013

Read his book, R31.

You'll hate him.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

Summation in a sentence:

Fug doormat obsesses over pathologically dangerous and narcissistic crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

[quote]Brotherhood" was good, "Keep the Lights on" is pretentious trash.

Just added "Brotherhood" to my netflix list. Thanks for the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

Sachs comes from money.

Clegg, presumably, comes from hell.

That said, I'd love to see him get fucked while he's high!

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

Bumping because I just now got around to watching it. I thought it had problems, but pretentiousness wasn't one of them.

Question: the scene where they're fucking and Paul has an "accident" (I'm assuming he shit the sheets). Is this supposed to be representative of sex with a crackhead? I know opiate use can leave one constipated, but is that a problem with crack as well? Just curious. (Luckily, I've never dated a crackhead and haven't experienced the problem firsthand.)

by Anonymousreply 3712/15/2013

I DUN SHAT THE BED, IRA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3803/29/2014

[quote]Paprika Steen

Seriously? Maybe we should start a new iteration of The Spice Girls.

by Anonymousreply 3903/29/2014

Just saw it on Netflix the other night. I can't say I really liked it, but didn't dislike it either. The story isn't novel and I'm about done with downer gay movies. I didn't see any cock shots with Booth, but his low hangers were impressive. Both leads were normal world cute. I was wondering about the shitting the sheets scene too. I liked PIT STOP better.

by Anonymousreply 4003/29/2014

It's a complete ripoff of Yoshukikara Mishiyakitori's memoir.

by Anonymousreply 4103/29/2014

What does SHIT THE SHEETS translate to in Japanese anyway?

by Anonymousreply 4203/29/2014

I'm glad to see that there were others out there who hated this movie. It made me want to break the tv, but I held out long enough to find out if either of them died, but no such luck. And I thought the acting was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 4303/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.