Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do I keep focused?

I can never focused on what I'm supposed to do in my life. Things come out of the blue and they distract me a lot. Are you a focused person and what do you do to keep focused?

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

I have this problem too. Neither Adderrall nor Ritalin helped, so I just accept it is part of my personality. Sometimes it is better if I am engaged in something I enjoy. My mind wanders when I am doing things I don't like to do. I didn't do well in math or foreign language in high school because those were difficult topics and my mind just wandered. I'm ridiculously easy to distract, the sound of my co-workers in their cubicles talking makes me feel almost disoriented when I am trying to work. Sensory issues? Again, probably nothing to be done at age 43 now.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

5-hour energy

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

I don't know about the drugs, but what I did was learn to focus and remain focused by practicing. You have to condition your mind to remain on topic. Simple mental exercises like just laying out your goals for the next hour, or day segment, or day, and then checking back in with your progress. It's difficult in our world of multitasking and variety of sources of stimuli, but it can be done. You may have to start by removing some of the distractions: turn off the tv, put the iPod away, put the phone in 'do not disturb' mode. Write down the task and three or four steps to complete it. Then, stick to it. Your mind is just like any other muscle; you can train your mind, and in the process, it gets stronger. Then, distractions become less... distracting.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Try, OP.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

I think that, to a certain extent, being able to focus comes naturally to some people.

But most (if not all) of us can greatly increase our focussing skills.

If you read some of the sports coaching literature, you'll find tips on focussing.

I also think that some people have no interest in focussing or in focussing on certain things. The work example given by R1 is a good one. I've worked with people who stop what they are doing (perhaps surfing the net!) EVERY time another colleague arrives at work and greets that person. I've also worked with people who stop working EVERY time a conversation starts up in the office. It seems that with these people they get more fun/stimulation/reward from the social interaction than with their work and that they haven't developed the self-discipline or focussing skills or self-talk to ignore what is going on around them. Another example is where people can remember to go to work on time and can remember to go to the gym, etc., but don't remember birthdays or anniversies - some things are important to them and some things are not, with self-interest and self-absorption seeming to win out.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Here's an interesting personal coaching article on how to improve your focussing skills...

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!