Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone remember Knots Landing?

Will it ever be on DVD or streaming anywhere?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 6301/29/2013

Never heard of it.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 101/27/2013

The frist 2 seasons are on DVD and I was able to buy all 14 seasons via the internet / taped from the original soapnet run.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 201/27/2013

Hated that show.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 301/27/2013

Loved it for years. I started watching it when it originally started and stayed with it up until the penultimate season. I missed most of the last season but caught the last two or three episodes.

It was the most relatable of the primetime soaps. it was also the only nighttime soap that was able to reenergize with new characters. It aged better than the rest.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 401/27/2013

Loved it to bits. It was the middle class soaps. It got campier as time went on but it was not as campy as Dallas or Dynasty.

R4 It did age relatively well. Though the Greg/Paige romance was so silly,she paired better with young hottie,Tom Ryan.

Nick the Dick and Michelle Phillips were almost like comic relief.They was a sense of fun about them even though they were somewhat rotten.

Knots was the second longest running drama after Gunsmoke. Now Law and Order and Gunshit are tied for that distinction.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 501/27/2013

Is this THE Lorimar thread mentioned elsewhere?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 601/27/2013

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 701/27/2013

You know Nick was packing, remember when he dropped his towel when Karen rang his doorbell? The look on her face as she looked down was priceless.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 801/27/2013

R8 Nick's real name is Lorenzo Caccialanza.......Caccialanza means hunting lance! He's got one between his legs for sure....

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 901/27/2013

Is it so wrong to admit that as a young gayling at the time, I always found William Devane to be a hot daddy?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1001/27/2013

They did a ground breaking Lesbian storyline with Lisa Hartman Black.

At the time no night time soap even mentioned the word Lesbian, much less featured a storyline on Lesbianism.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1101/27/2013

Constance, is your pantry a walk in closet?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1201/27/2013

[quote]Constance, is your pantry a walk in closet?

One of them is, yes.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1301/27/2013

Big disappointment that Michael Fairgate was not gay.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1401/27/2013

I remember when Richard 'caught' Ciji and Laura together in flagrante.

He threw Ciji out of the house by her hair!

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1501/27/2013

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1601/27/2013

I just did a Google search and was shocked to learn that there are real people named Valene.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1701/27/2013

R17 Really I'm shocked? I love that name Valerie.....

Richard was like Knot's Woody Allen wasn't he? He was actually Suzanne Pleshette's cousin oddly enough. she was so much cuter than he was!

Joanna Pettet did a nice guest stint on Knots as well.She played a detective on the show investigating a death on the show......

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1801/27/2013

From 1983 - My favorite surprise ending to a Knots episode.

The build up to this episode was amazing. Richard and Laura were on the brink of divorce because he thought she and Ciji were lesbians. Gary was back on the booze and Val was fighting with Ciji over it. Karen was ticked that Diana was running off to New York with Chip. Lilimae wasn't doing anything of note, but she's be revving up the car in a few more episodes.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 1901/27/2013

The nude croquet game between Greg and Paige is a classic.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2001/27/2013

Opening credits from S4. I liked how they produced the credits.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2101/27/2013

I just looked up Lorenzo Caccialanza. He was pretty, but boy, he didn't age well.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2201/27/2013

It was a daytime soap at night. And I loved that about it.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2301/27/2013

It would be great if people shared some of what they posted, or remember, from that old Lorimar thread people talk about on here. I came here too late to be able to find it and I really want to.

I'd ask someone to post a link, but I suppose it's deleted. By the DL censors because it's-God forbid!-about soaps.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2401/27/2013

There was no old Lorimar thread. A thread title of Lorimar was suggested b/c a previous thread listing only the name of a city had been deleted.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2501/27/2013

I always liked the theme song. But if I recall correctly, they fucked it up in the last couple of seasons.

I preferred Knots to the other nighttime dramas because it had more of the personal issues, and less of the business dealings. Which I think might be the point of R23.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2601/27/2013

OP, I'm not saying I watch Knots on DVD and I'm not saying I'm not.

I am saying I can watch it whenever I want to.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2701/27/2013

I loved 'Knots'. One of my favorite episodes was called 'Goodnight Moon' about the afternath of Laura's death. Brilliant show and William Devane was amazing.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2801/27/2013

"Knots Landing" was awesome. I'm hoping "Gary" and "Val's" guest appearances on this season's "Dallas" will prompt TNT to go ahead and do a KL revival. Joan Van Ark, Michele Lee and Donna Mills (who still looks beautiful) all said publicly they'd like to do one. I'm sure Ted Shackleford feels the same; since he's appearing on "Dallas."

There is a whole roster of characters that could be aged to their 20's like "Dallas" did. "Gary" and "Val's" twins, "Meg", "Abby's" son-they might have to age him down, but who cares?

I wish "Laura" could come back, but "Knots Landing" was always the nighttime soap "grounded in reality" so a "back from the dead" storyline would be unlikely. Still, we never saw the body and if Constance McCashin returned I'd b thrilled no matter how they wrote it in.

BTW: Who do people write those fake posts of "Constance McCashin Eating Junkfood?" I don't get it.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 2901/27/2013

On Friday, Jan. 18, Donna Mills, Michele Lee and Joan Van Ark were on the Talk for a Knots Landing reunion. They were promoting the Pioneers of Television program on PBS

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3001/27/2013

I saw the PBS program. It showed Val and her split personality which was so CAMP!

Donna Mills looks much better than she did in the guest spot she did last year on GCB. They really aged her for that.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3101/27/2013

Well played, R27.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3201/27/2013

We're going home!

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3301/27/2013

The gray wig Donna Mills wore on GCB did make her look older, but it might have been an attempt-with her consent-to start doing character roles. Her beauty might be limiting.

I was saddened by Joan Van Ark's plastic surgery. It has gone way too far. I couldn't help but notice the bottom half f her face was so oddly alabaster that even the professionals who must have done her make-up for the interview were apparently unable to even out her skin tone.

What does that indicate? I wondered if maybe some of the skin is dead-it had that eerie Michael Jackson prosthetic nose look that came from messing his face up so much it punched holes through it. Her appearance was so alarming. I bet if she had let herself age naturally she would have looked fine. When KL began she had a bit of a baby face, usually people like that don't get wrinkles nearly as bad as excessively thin people do.

Just made me wonder and sure left me taken aback.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3401/27/2013

JVA looked slightly better on the PBS special than she had on Y&R a few years ago, where she was just ghastly. I hope the people at Dallas on TNT can help her out.

What particularly impresses me about KL is they didn't recast or SORAS the kids like the daytime soaps. They stuck with them and played them in adult stories that apparently worked.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3501/28/2013

Thanks, Verna.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3601/28/2013

R35, I think they de-aged Bobby and Betsy because it took FOREVER for them to be found!

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3701/28/2013

What about Pat Peterson, who played Karen's younger son? He got fucking gorgeous as he aged into his 20s. He'd be too old now (46) to be the younger generation.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3801/28/2013

Knots and Falcon Crest were my two faves of the nighttime soaps. Didn't like Dallas, really, and only had a passing interest in Dynasty.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 3901/28/2013

I missed early Knots. Saw the opening credits posted upthread....

Was Mack Karen's lawyer before being involved with her? Karen's first husband was murdered?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4001/28/2013

I'm always surprised people liked this series. It was about boring upper middle-class people in a California subdivision--the same demographic exactly as "Modern Family."

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4101/28/2013

I think KL had the best cast of younger characters for a spin-off of all night time soaps.

Karen's son Michael and daughter Diana Abbey's daughter Olivia and her husband Harold as well as her son Brian Gary and Valene's twins, Bobby and Betsy Greg and Laura's daughter (adopted by Mack and Karen) - name? Laura and Richard's two sons

Isn't there a daughter form the short-lived and ill-fated black family as well?

It would have been so easy to set-up some of those characters in a different city as a stand alone program and during the season, different parents could visit.

When KL was canceled, I would have moved the younger cast to Seattle and started a whole new storyline.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4201/28/2013

People used to say that Knots was a P&G soap in nighttime. I loved the first three or four seasons, mostly because the characters and stories were relatable and down to earth. It became full-fledged camp by the 5th or 6th season.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4301/28/2013

Anyone who hasn't watched KL is a schlub.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4401/28/2013

was it that 'Three's Company' episode where Mr. Roper went hang gliding?

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4501/28/2013

David Jacobs, who created the show, has recently said KL would be a tougher reboot because he can't imagine the characters would have all remained in the same place, unlike the "Dallas" characters, who would be rooted to the family, the business and the homestead.

I think he's right. It's hard to imagine those characters would remain in the cookie-cutter start-up homes in that cul-de-sac. The Mackenzies would likely have cashed out at the height of the boom and moved to Arizona or Florida. Gary and Val probably would have returned to Texas at some point and Abby would have ditched SoCal and headed for a power-corridor city like DC or NYC. (She never would have moved back into that subdivision as she did on the series finale.)

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4601/28/2013

I liked Olivia when she was young and had that sweet friendship with Val.

But as she grew older and went through that drug 'give me the key' phase she went into Diana Fairgate territory.

Though no one was more annoying that Diana.

I cheered when Eric finally slapped her.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4701/28/2013

Oh, how I hated Diana Fairgate. She was such a bitch to poor Karen. I cheered when she left the show.

I did like Olivia. The storyline where she became addicted to drugs was very well done. When she ran to the doghouse (I think it was the doghouse) to get the drugs after seeing Brian had been beaten up because of her was a really good show. Once she grew up and married Harold, though, she became very boring.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4801/28/2013

Regarding a KL re-make:

Mack was originally from NYC and Karen grew up in Philadelphia, I believe. It would not be improbable that the two characters moved back East (let's say Long Island).

Val might have returned to her writing career in New York, having moved away from CA to distance herself from the terrible memories of having been pursued by an underworld hitman as the result of her planned expose (What was the name and subject of that last book project, anyway?). Val had indeed gone to NYC to meet up with her literary agent regarding her book, "Capricorn Crude", during the original KL, making a move to NY not implausible.

Now she is a playwright with writer's block who decides to take up the subject of her friendship with Laura Avery Sumner and how she imagines Laura's life would be in the present time (Constance Cashin appearing in Val's mind). Gary is drinking again.

Regarding Abby, as another poster noted, she probably would have headed toward "the power corridor" of NYC or DC (more likely the corporate scene of NYC). She now owns most of the houses on the cul-de-sac,having bought them up as people moved out, and is a terrible absentee landlady. She is married to a gorgeous, much younger man who cheats on her left and right. When Abby threatens to divorce him, he blackmails her with documents that could send her to a white-collar prison for a long stretch.

Karen's and Abby's children own their respective parents' homes on the cul-de-sac and continue to reside in them.Abby attempts to buy up those remaining homes in order to bulldoze the cul-de-sac and use the land to build a luxury high-rise apartment building. Even though the residents (Michael Fairgate, Olivia and Brian Cunningham w/spouses) refuse to sell at any price, Abby has plans to drive them out by renting out the other homes to very inappropriate people.

Naturally, all hell breaks loose and Karen and Val are ready to do battle against Abby.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 4901/28/2013

R24 and R6, the old Lorimar thread started under the title of "Knots Landing's Donna Mills Here" and from there it became a wildly imaginative take on the days at the Lorimar Commissary during lunch hour when Michele Lee would make fun of Constance McCashin's flat face, Betty Buckley would be losing her shit and all the women from the Lorimar shows (KL, Dallas, Eight is Enough, The Waltons, Falcon Crest) had their own vicious cliques.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5001/28/2013

Does anyone remember that baddest bitch, Linda Fairgate? I loved her.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5101/28/2013

R49 Kevin Dobson was one of the most New Yorky sounding actors on TV. He was a great sidekick to Kojak and then got that long lasting gig on Knots. He did the FX series right after Knots then he resurfaced on OLTL at one point.

They could bring back the show with Val,Michelle,Kevin and Gary in the background. Of course the new generation comes on board to take care of things.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5201/28/2013

R49 has some great ideas.

Of course, I want the show based around those NYC folks, and let the kids visit.

Can't Constance be an actress PLAYING Laura in Val's play at MTC or wherever a la Ciji/Cathy Geary? Pat Peterson is an actor playing Greg. Michelle Lee can sing and dance at a benefit or two.

I'm in. Paging TNT!

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5301/28/2013

Didn't Brian Austin Green play Abby's son? I could see him doing the reboot.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5401/28/2013

last we saw Brian Austin Green character he was the step-father to Gary's child.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5501/28/2013

I don't understand R55, are you saying that Brian Cunningham was dating Betsy Ewing?

I thought that Brian had taken up with Greg and Laura's daughter; the child that Mack and Karen had raised.

I know that folks hate Diana Fairgate, but they redeemed her very late in series when Karen visited her in NYC during Karen's separation from Mack. Diana helped convince Karen to go back to Mack (or am I imagining that?).

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5601/29/2013

r50, I remember that Lorimar thread fondly and contributed a number of hopefully funny posts. The commissary cliques were especially hysterical. That must've been from around 2005/2006, because I had just started a new job. I really had very little to do, so I would post here all day.

They would never resurrect Knots. That ship has sailed. Nobody watched the reunion movie or that other reunion thing from a few years back, and the DVDs didn't sell. It's become sort of a relic.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5701/29/2013

R56 Abby's son, Brian Cunningham is the step-father to Gary Ewing's child.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5801/29/2013

Jesus... I must have really stopped watching Knots before the series ended, I had no idea that Gary fathered a child with Kate Whittaker. Kate was Greg Sumner's niece and Claudia's daughter. This is from a Knot's Landing website...

"Gary took a job as the contractor overseeing the building of a sports arena for inner-city youth. He gave Kate a job as his assistant, and they grew closer still. Kate kept bringing up the idea of a relationship, but he kept saying it made him feel like he was cheating on Val. He kept running to her though, whenever he needed help or comfort. Kate finally got sick of the mixed-signals Gary was sending her, and decided to leave town. Realizing he was going to lose her, Gary finally admitted to Kate that he wanted her, and they started a relationship. They were only together for a few days when Val, who wasn't dead, escaped from her kidnappers and came back to town. Gary was ecstatic, and Kate was really upset. Val told Kate that if she had been dead, Kate was who she would have wanted Gary and the twins to be with. Brokenhearted, Kate left town to start over.

Kate found herself pregnant, but decided not to tell Gary. She had a daughter, Molly, and raised her by herself. Kate somehow met Brian Cunningham, and they fell in love. Kate and Brian returned to Knots Landing to visit Greg and Abby. Both Gary and Val figured out that Molly was his daughter. Brian and Kate decided to get married. They told Abby the good news - and also that Kate was pregnant again -- Abby was going to be a grandmother!!! Today Kate and Brian are very happily married and living in Knots Landing."

Man, KL must have really jumped a shark in the last few seasons for that to be a viable storyline.

Gary banging someone younger than his eldest daughter Lucy is just gross.

Also, who the hell kidnapped Val and why would someone kidnap Val?

It's all so confusing!

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 5901/29/2013

R59, I believe the Kate being pregnant storyline was from one of the reunion shows. Val didn't come back until close to the last episode of the series, so Kate could not have had a baby while the show was still on. Gary did have a relationship with Kate in the last season, but I don't remember a pregnancy being part of it. I think in the reunion show, they wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Brian Austin Green, who was then a star on Beverly Hills 90210, so they created the Kate/Brian storyline.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 6001/29/2013

That BS about Kate and Brian is fan fiction, never happened in the series.

The shouldn't resurrect the show, it was good while it lasted. The pacing of the original show is out of sync with modern television where story lines wrap up quickly. Look at all the hair brained stories Desperate Housewives had to come up with in one season, that show was exhausted in five seasons.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 6101/29/2013

Looks like the Brian and Kate storyline did happen in one of the reunion shows called Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-de-Sac. You have to read through the whole description to get it but in the last paragraph under the heading Part Two it describes Brian and his girlfriend Kate telling Abbey she is going to be a grandmother. Under the heading Part One, last paragraph, it describes Kate telling Gary that she was pregnant with his child when she left Knots Landing after Val's return.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 6201/29/2013

R61 if you look at the Ewing family tree from the official Dallas website, you see very clearly Molly Whittaker being the daughter of Gary Ewing and Kate Whittaker.

Kate Whittaker would later marry Brian Cunningham, making Brian the step-father of Gary's child.

And this is the official Dallas website on the Ewing family tree.

by I wish I was Donna Millsreply 6301/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!